PDA

View Full Version : If you could change 1 decision, what would it be?

homeslice5484
10-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I was thinking, if you could go back 10 years and pick 1 decision this franchise made and reverse it, what would it be and why?

Buffalo Thriller
10-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Hell

homeslice5484
10-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Hell

Just saw your sig and it said to take Locker. I actually got a chance to watch him last week and was pissed that he was hurt and I couldn't see him play like normal. Do you know if his injury is something thats going to be the rest of the season or what?

The announcers just kept saying how thats not the normal Jake Locker when he barely ran.

TrEd FTW
10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd go back to the sixth round of the 2000 NFL draft and take Tom Brady over Leif Larsen.

Buffalo Thriller
10-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Not picking just one. Busts: Don't draft Maybin,Losman,Erik Flowers,Mike Williams.

Mad Max
10-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Easy, let Flutie (noodle arm and all) remain the starting QB. We might be 1-4 in Super Bowls.

Buffalo Thriller
10-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Just saw your sig and it said to take Locker. I actually got a chance to watch him last week and was pissed that he was hurt and I couldn't see him play like normal. Do you know if his injury is something thats going to be the rest of the season or what?

The announcers just kept saying how thats not the normal Jake Locker when he barely ran.

Nothing major. He had a bad bruise on one of his thighs. That affected his mobility some. I'd say he was 85% that game. Not good. Mobility is his strong suit. He should be fine though.

TacklingDummy
10-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Hired Tackling Dummy to select the first 3 rounds of the draft.

delectrolux
10-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Do not trade up for Losman.

tatersalad
10-28-2010, 04:45 PM
started with the firing of polian, give him apart of the franchise

djjimkelly
10-28-2010, 04:52 PM
i wouldnt have traded for drew bledsoe.

the team was in dissarray at that point and we needed to bottom out then.

we would have been worse in the 2003 and 2004 however we would have probably faired much better in the draft.

also it takes away a first rounder from the patriots.

this was the worst move our franchise made in the last 10 years and they admitted it by drafting bledsoes replacement quickly

we also helped the pats severly with the salary cap in taking bledsoes contract

horrific move

Ginger Vitis
10-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Easy, let Flutie (noodle arm and all) remain the starting QB. We might be 1-4 in Super Bowls.

Ditto

HAMMER
10-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Modrak doesn't get hired.

Philagape
10-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Easy, hiring Marv Levy. He robbed this franchise of five years and counting by putting his Dick in charge.
Whitner, Maybin, McCargo, Edwards, Hardy, Lynch ... all goes back to that.

Mr. Pink
10-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Not fire Donahoe.

Historian
10-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Go back to 1969 and hire Don Shula instead of John Rauch...

Mr. Pink
10-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Go back to 1969 and hire Don Shula instead of John Rauch...

Just keep Polian around and we wouldn't have needed Shula.

:rofl:

Nighthawk
10-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Easy, hiring Marv Levy. He robbed this franchise of five years and counting by putting his Dick in charge.

Phil...you are reading my mind! Levy has set this team back 5 or 10 years with his influence on this organization. First and foremost, he was the reason that Jauron came here and everybody knows the rest. We'll be paying for Marv's mistakes for years to come.

SquishDaFish
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Keep Polian. If it took giving part ownership who cares. Give it all to him!

Figster
10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
The last time the Buffalo Bills had an offensive ranking over the top 25 was 2003 when a Greg Williams coached football team ranked a respectable 9th on offense.

Given Williams expertise on defense, myself personally, in my opinion its very possible Greg Williams would have had our Buffalo Bills football team competing for a Championship by now.

I'll say not keeping Greg Williams as HC of the Buffalo Bills,

Ingtar33
10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
firing polian

god... we should have freaking made him part owner... i wish we had the success the colts have had since he got there. Don't forget he also took an expansion team (Panthers) and got them to the NFC championship game in year 2, just before going to the Colts...

the man is magic.

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I was thinking, if you could go back 10 years and pick 1 decision this franchise made and reverse it, what would it be and why?I would have kept TKO.. JMO

YardRat
10-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Polian is the obvious choice, but that was almost 20 years ago now so really doesn't fit in with the premise of the op.

In hindsight and sticking within the 'last 10 year's' parameters, and despite the cap hell that he inherited from Butler, I'd have to say I'd hire somebody other than TD to take over as GM and President. The slide into the abyss began on his watch, and his influence (especially on draft day) on the organization is still present to this day.

He screwed us on wasted picks (Williams, JP, trading for Bledsoe, etc), he screwed us on letting vets go (Pat Williams, Fletcher, Winfield, etc), he screwed us on coaching (Mularkey, Greg Williams), and he's still screwing us in the front office if you believe Modrak is part of the problem.

elltrain22
10-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Modrak doesn't get hired.

Bingo!!

G Wolly
10-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Hell

what the **** does this even mean?

TigerJ
10-28-2010, 10:50 PM
The hiring of Tom Donahoe as GM. Had the Bills hired a better GM, they wouldn't have hired Gregg Williams as head coach. That was the start of a streak of bad coaching hires that have led to years of bad football in Buffalo. I don't know who the Bills could have hired in Donahoe's place, but that one hiring did more to contribute to the misery of the Buffalo football fan in the 21st century than anything else IMO.

TigerJ
10-28-2010, 10:52 PM
firing polian

god... we should have freaking made him part owner... i wish we had the success the colts have had since he got there. Don't forget he also took an expansion team (Panthers) and got them to the NFC championship game in year 2, just before going to the Colts...

the man is magic.

I think that was more than 10 years ago, but change the parameters to 20 years, and that's the obvious choice.

TMu11
10-29-2010, 05:20 AM
Polian.

Better drafting, more trades. Hell, ANYTHING but what we DID!

EricStratton
10-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Polian left in 1993

Figster
10-29-2010, 08:33 AM
The hiring of Tom Donahoe as GM. Had the Bills hired a better GM, they wouldn't have hired Gregg Williams as head coach. That was the start of a streak of bad coaching hires that have led to years of bad football in Buffalo. I don't know who the Bills could have hired in Donahoe's place, but that one hiring did more to contribute to the misery of the Buffalo football fan in the 21st century than anything else IMO.

Greg Williams is a championship caliber coach in my opinion. Do you mind if I ask why the dislike for Williams?

Myself personally, team unity was very high during Williams tenure here in Buffalo and it was the last time the Buffalo Bills football team showed respectable rankings both offensively and defensively.

YardRat
10-29-2010, 08:39 AM
If running a team to last place in your division every season is championship caliber.

Williams may be a good DC, and someday a decent head coach even, he sucked balls for us.

The King
10-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Has to be trading up for JP.

Figster
10-29-2010, 09:01 AM
If running a team to last place in your division every season is championship caliber.

Williams may be a good DC, and someday a decent head coach even, he sucked balls for us.

Williams took the heat for a sputtering Kevin Gilbride offense,

Interesting to note the Buffalo Bills ranked 5th in the league in average points scored against during Greg Williams final season as HC of the Buffalo Bills. (17.4)

Defense wins Championships

Novacane
10-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Took my pick. Levy as GM was a huge mistake.

Figster
10-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Levy taking the GM with him when he departed didn't help matters and could have actually been the single biggest mistake in the history of the Buffalo Bills.

Everyone witnessed what Russ Brandon did to the O-line after Levy's departure. I still believe Brandon should be canned for the huge setback to the organization he put into motion, and we are still suffering the consequences to this day.

The King
10-29-2010, 09:39 AM
not resigning Fletcher could be on the list

YardRat
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Williams took the heat for a sputtering Kevin Gilbride offense,

Interesting to note the Buffalo Bills ranked 5th in the league in average points scored against during Greg Williams final season as HC of the Buffalo Bills. (17.4)

Defense wins Championships

So what. Buffalo was first in the league last season in first down yards per rushing attempt.

Maybe we should have kept 'championship caliber' AVP as our offensive coordinator.

justasportsfan
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Polian firing would be it but thats over 10 years.

I would have kept Lebeau over Jerry Gray.

Figster
10-29-2010, 11:57 AM
So what. Buffalo was first in the league last season in first down yards per rushing attempt.

Maybe we should have kept 'championship caliber' AVP as our offensive coordinator.

With all due respect points for and against equate to wins and losses,

Ranking 5th in the league on points scored against/allowed suggests Greg Williams from a defensive standpoint was getting the job done. Offensively on the other hand, he was not.

Biggest tell all stat in my opinion: 2003 Takeaway/Giveaway Differential -16 (-1.0/g), ranked 31st in the league.

Drew Bledsoe led the pack with 12 INT's and 15 fumbles (11 TD's)

Bill Cody
10-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Greg Williams is a championship caliber coach in my opinion.

Apparently the NFL disagrees.

Figster
10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Apparently the NFL disagrees.

The Saints may beg to differ

YardRat
10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
The Saints may beg to differ

Payton's going to be pissed when he finds out he's on the chopping block.

Figster
10-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Payton's going to be pissed when he finds out he's on the chopping block.

Meanwhile Jerry Jones is licking his chops and letting Tony Romo know his days are numbered,

TigerJ
10-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Greg Williams is a championship caliber coach in my opinion. Do you mind if I ask why the dislike for Williams?

Myself personally, team unity was very high during Williams tenure here in Buffalo and it was the last time the Buffalo Bills football team showed respectable rankings both offensively and defensively.

Williams got off on the wrong foot with his foolish statement at his first news conference. "This team, right now, can win the super bowl." His real incompetence, though, was in the hiring of his assistants. He hired almost exclusively young guys with little or no experience at the positions for which they were hired. A lot of fans, myself included, thought he must have been very insecure, and wanted no one on the staff who might question his decision making.

I agree that Williams is a top notch defensive coordinator, who might someday make a good head coach, but only if he gains some wisdom in putting a staff together.

Zero
10-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Keep Polian. If it took giving part ownership who cares. Give it all to him!

AGREED! AGREED! AGREED infinity. Am convinced we would have had a ring by now:teary:

BillsFever21
10-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Marv definitely set the team back even more. He was not qualified to be a GM. In my mind he failed as HC by not taking a great team to a SB victory. Said it was a horrible move then and still is. How many of his draft picks are even still around? Then replacing him with Russ Brandon who didn't have an ounce of experience for that position finished us off.

It all comes down to Ralph Wilson. He's cheap when it comes to hiring GM's and coaches and won't bring in or keep the good players we do end up getting. It all has to do with being cheap.

BillsFever21
10-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Williams got off on the wrong foot with his foolish statement at his first news conference. "This team, right now, can win the super bowl." His real incompetence, though, was in the hiring of his assistants. He hired almost exclusively young guys with little or no experience at the positions for which they were hired. A lot of fans, myself included, thought he must have been very insecure, and wanted no one on the staff who might question his decision making.

I agree that Williams is a top notch defensive coordinator, who might someday make a good head coach, but only if he gains some wisdom in putting a staff together.
All of our assistants have been the same. Not just with Gregg Williams. Wilson won't pay for a top notch head coach let alone coordinators and position coaches.

There is no way in hell Wilson will pay a good experienced coordinator 2-3+ million a year when that's all he wants to pay for his HC's. You can hire first time nobodies for a fraction of that price.

Zero
10-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Hiring Marv was counterproductive, to put it mildly. The equivalent for guzzling liquid Drano, is more appropriate.

Figster
10-30-2010, 09:08 AM

Kevin Gilbride , Dick LeBeau and Greg Williams have all three won championships as coordinators.

In 2003 the Buffalo Bills had a championship caliber coaching staff in my opinion.