PDA

View Full Version : NFL having a conference call with the officials today!

Cleve
10-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Just reported on ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5739035

Mentioned prominently in the article were the blown calls in the Vikings-Packers game, and the Steelers/Dolphins game.

Bills didn't even get mentioned, but they were victimized just as badly as the Vikings.

As I said in another thread, some of the worst NFL officiating I've ever seen occurred last weekend. A bad call isn't that big a deal if it's a blow-out or lopsided game, but these happened in close games and those horrid calls clearly changed the outcomes.

You gotta love Childress' quote in the press conference - "50 drunks in a bar" would have made the correct call on Shiancoe's touch-down catch. If I was Childress, and I was fined for that - I'd tell the NFL $35,000 is an insult - I should be fined at least 100 grand! And I wouldn't apologize either - I'd be like "Eff you, NFL!" LOL

Static
10-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Don't they say this every year......"we're gonna fix it"

Johnny Bugmenot
10-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Isn't it ironic that the best officiating the NFL has seen in the past ten years was when the referees went on strike?

YardRat
10-29-2010, 08:15 AM
The Bills shouldn't have been mentioned. The rules may suck, but the calls were correct.

mikemac2001
10-29-2010, 08:44 AM
My issues with the refs are they use indisputable evidence as a scape goat. I didn't see enough replays of corner int but his elbow looked down all they have to do is check that and he is down if not I'm fine with the call. But other calls I have seen this year is refs just protecting there first call. Refs should be fine for ****ing up challenges especially spot calls where u can see it and they still don't change it

Forward_Lateral
10-29-2010, 09:14 AM
The vikes got screwed, big time.

Also, I'm curious as to why the hell the Steelers got the ball back after that Big Ben fumble. It was clearly recovered by the Dolphins.

Figster
10-29-2010, 09:43 AM
The Bills shouldn't have been mentioned. The rules may suck, but the calls were correct.

I agree, (on the calls being correct, with the exception of missing an elbow)

On the other hand, both the gang tackle/fumble on Nelson and the offensive pass interference that was somehow missed should be discussed to see if further measures are needed in the future.

If you review something such as a receiver coming down in or out of bounds, how can you ignore the pass interference that caused the reception/INT to occur out of bounds. It doesn't make sense to me, and when something like this comes under review, all aspects should come into play to determine the fair course of action in my opinion.

better days
10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I wonder how much money bet on games both legal & illegal has been affected by these obvious bad calls. The NFL can not afford to have the credibility of refs come into question.

dplus47
10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
The vikes got screwed, big time.

Also, I'm curious as to why the hell the Steelers got the ball back after that Big Ben fumble. It was clearly recovered by the Dolphins.

That recovery non-call was curious, but I am dumbfounded that a touchdown was awarded by a guy with no view of the ball. Roethlisberger's back was turned to the guy who called the TD, and he wasn't even extending the ball in front of him. How do you call a TD when you can't see the ball?

Ingtar33
10-29-2010, 08:22 PM
My issues with the refs are they use indisputable evidence as a scape goat. I didn't see enough replays of corner int but his elbow looked down all they have to do is check that and he is down if not I'm fine with the call. But other calls I have seen this year is refs just protecting there first call. Refs should be fine for ****ing up challenges especially spot calls where u can see it and they still don't change it

his elbow was a yard out of bounds.

the call was right.

BillsFever21
10-29-2010, 09:42 PM
If they can fine the players for hitting to hard in a football game or messing up on the field the refs should be fined for blowing calls that lead to costing teams a win. It should work both ways. If they had something on the line maybe they would work harder to do a better job at officiating.

Mike13
10-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Nothing will come of this.

Mr. Pink
10-29-2010, 11:36 PM
If they can fine the players for hitting to hard in a football game or messing up on the field the refs should be fined for blowing calls that lead to costing teams a win. It should work both ways. If they had something on the line maybe they would work harder to do a better job at officiating.

How are you gonna fine someone for an objectionable call?

There are plenty of them during the course of the game, called and not called.

Hell, holding could be called every down.

Dujek
10-30-2010, 02:28 PM
his elbow was a yard out of bounds.

the call was right.

His elbow landed on green, which was the end zone. Get your eyes checked.