PDA

View Full Version : Drafting a quarterback....

BertSquirtgum
10-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed but i haven't read it anywhere. If the bills decide they want to draft a qb and arguably the best quartback(Andrew Luck) doesn't come out. Would you want the Bills to pull the trigger on Jake Locker? Personally, i'm not sold on Locker. If Fitzy continues playing well should we draft a qb just to draft a qb with the 1st pick?

Wouldn't it be better suited to draft the best defensive player coming out? That is if it's a lineman or linebacker. For the draft guru's.... are there any guys coming out that would be worthy of 1st draft choice money? Now, it's not a stretch to say the Bills will be drafting first, so, if they end up drafting first, what are the chances of them being able to trade out of the position?

G Wolly
10-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes. Regardless of how Fitz plays, take a good QB for sure.

Fitz is 28 right now. Let's say he continues on and can be consistent as a good starting QB, he can't have more than 5-10 years left in his good days.

I think that having a good QB under Fitz for a year or so to learn how the game works on a professional level in whatever coaching scheme we'll have at the time is a good plan.

Then I say use him Tebow/Vick style for certain plays every once in awhile, so we can integrate him into the gameplan without giving him the entire workload.

Once Fitz/Whoever is done with, our drafted QB will takeover and hopefully be consistent and talented.

Or if it comes to it, worst case scenario, we have another piece of trade fodder.

Bangarang
10-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm not reaching for Locker just for the sake of getting a QB. Especially with the way he's struggled this season.

OpIv37
10-29-2010, 11:49 PM
10 games for fitz to prove himself.

5-6 games for Luck and Locker to play and either prove themselves or fall flat on their faces.

It's too early to make a call. This team has FAR too many holes to reach for any position.

Beebe's Kid
10-30-2010, 01:58 AM
10 games for fitz to prove himself.

5-6 games for Luck and Locker to play and either prove themselves or fall flat on their faces.

It's too early to make a call. This team has FAR too many holes to reach for any position.
This problem is clearly Whitner's fault...

I kid... I actually agree with Op 100%.

Way to early too make this call.

If you play out the scenarios... Fitz plays great, looks like a stud, Luck is clearly the best, but doesn't declare...No way. We score points...we absolutely can't stop anybody else, wherein lies our biggest issue. Fitz sucks out...we look real hard. Reaching for the need is a good way to keep our current run with no playoff games in tact.

There are defensive players that change entire teams that come out regularly.

We don't have a "bad mother shut your mouth" on our D. We need a "bad mother shut your mouth."

Remember the Hopper commercials for Bruce? Imagine any of our current defenders in that commercial...not a chance.

If I had my choice I would draft almost all defense. I would trade up early and often. If we have a top 5 pick, I would try to get back into the middle of the first if we could, and draft another mid round stud.

Nighthawk
10-30-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm not a Locker fan and the games I've watched of his were less then impressive. Luck looks really good and I've liked what I've seen from Mallett...he has a huge arm. I don't like Ponder...he's shown me nothing.

TacklingDummy
10-30-2010, 07:46 AM
I'd draft Mallet over Locker.

Right now ,imo, I rate the QB's for chances of producing in the NFL.

1. Mallet
2. Stanzi
3. Gabbert
4. Locker
5. Luck

Real #1 Barkley but that's next year.

If Fitz plays well the rest of the year the Bills should draft defense with the first 3 picks.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed but i haven't read it anywhere.

Really, you haven't seen the hundreds of these?

X-Era
10-30-2010, 08:39 AM
I'd draft Mallet over Locker.

Right now ,imo, I rate the QB's for chances of producing in the NFL.

1. Mallet
2. Stanzi
3. Gabbert
4. Locker
5. Luck

Real #1 Barkley but that's next year.

If Fitz plays well the rest of the year the Bills should draft defense with the first 3 picks.Can't believe you rate Stanzi that high. I'd like to hear what you see in him. But it is nice to see Gabbert is high on your list.

X-Era
10-30-2010, 08:41 AM
By all indications, the Bills will be drafting a QB. I think it's a when not an if.

And to answer the question, I dont want us to reach. But, I'm, not so sure Locker won't be considered worthy of the #1 pick when all is said and done.

Obviously I would like us to draft Luck with the top pick.

tampabay25690
10-30-2010, 08:46 AM
I think we wait and see.
Make sure to watch Luck vs Locker tonite....

YardRat
10-30-2010, 09:19 AM
BPA, regardless of position, except for RB and maybe WR.

Commissioner
10-30-2010, 09:24 AM
If Fitz finishes the year as one of the top rated QB's in the NFL... i'm all for grabbing a QB later in the 1st or 2nd and letting him develop under Fitz.

Bills should go defense heavy in the draft.

k-oneputt
10-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm not reaching for Locker just for the sake of getting a QB. Especially with the way he's struggled this season.

Did you see Locker in the USC and Oregon St. games ?

Commissioner
10-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Did you see Locker in the USC and Oregon St. games ?

Lets see how Locker looks tonight playing opposite Luck. Should be a good game.

mikemac2001
10-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Lets see how Locker looks tonight playing opposite Luck. Should be a good game.

I know can't wait

Locker has looked ok he has no talent around him and no oline any qb won't look stellar with a crap oline

BertSquirtgum
10-30-2010, 01:02 PM
what time is that game tonight? i will be at work but i can put the game on the 50 inch.

mikemac2001
10-30-2010, 01:19 PM
game starts at 7

TacklingDummy
10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Can't believe you rate Stanzi that high. I'd like to hear what you see in him. But it is nice to see Gabbert is high on your list.
Gut instinct.

colin
10-30-2010, 03:45 PM
if fitz keeps it up and we have the top pick i say we swap it for a bunch of picks and just go shopping on D.

Bangarang
10-30-2010, 03:51 PM
if fitz keeps it up and we have the top pick i say we swap it for a bunch of picks and just go shopping on D.

Trading the top pick is never easy.

Luisito23
10-30-2010, 04:06 PM

For some reason though people here always think is a cakewalk.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-30-2010, 06:59 PM
marcel dareus has the quickness and athletic abiltiy off the edge and he also has incredible strength and size... he has to be the pick if fitz ends up being the guy

colin
10-30-2010, 08:57 PM

true, but if luck comes out someone will be willing to pay a ransom for it. high first, first the following year, and maybe a couple of 2nds.

we could get some serious fire power on d with that.

Bangarang
10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
true, but if luck comes out someone will be willing to pay a ransom for it. high first, first the following year, and maybe a couple of 2nds.

Are you suggesting that if Luck were to declare for the draft that we trade our #1 pick? On top of that you think the trading trading up to get Luck is going to give us multiple 1sts and 2nd round picks?

When the Giants traded up to get Eli Manning, they gave the Chargers Rivers (#4 pick) and 3rd, 4th & 5th round picks.

I think Nix would have to go into the witness protection program if he traded away our chance to get Luck.

kingJofNYC
10-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Locker is dog ****, I wouldn't waste a 2nd or 3rd on this guy.

SeatownBillsFan21
10-31-2010, 01:20 AM
Locker is dog ****, I wouldn't waste a 2nd or 3rd on this guy.

Not worthily of the #1 pick IF we draft there but the kid is NOT dog **** as you would say hes just not if he fell to us in the 2nd round you would be a moron not to pick him there on talent alone he played injured this week and last the kid wanted to be out there to help his teammates and it hurt him today.Besides Chris Polk his team is awful and not living up to the hype but if you followed this team since Jake was a freshmen you would know he can make just about any throw on the field. his accuracy could use some help i would agree on that but dog **** i just dont agree with that statement

Mad Max
10-31-2010, 02:55 AM

Believe it or not Ralph has not yet reached the level of senility required to make such colossally bad move.

If Luck is available to us when we draft, we will take him. I am willing to bet money while giving 3-1 odds (US Dollars...not ***** zonebucks).

Spiderweb
10-31-2010, 03:32 AM
If Fitz finishes the year as one of the top rated QB's in the NFL... i'm all for grabbing a QB later in the 1st or 2nd and letting him develop under Fitz.

Bills should go defense heavy in the draft.

If dominate defensive linemen or LB's are available, that would make sense to me.

better days
10-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Not worthily of the #1 pick IF we draft there but the kid is NOT dog **** as you would say hes just not if he fell to us in the 2nd round you would be a moron not to pick him there on talent alone he played injured this week and last the kid wanted to be out there to help his teammates and it hurt him today.Besides Chris Polk his team is awful and not living up to the hype but if you followed this team since Jake was a freshmen you would know he can make just about any throw on the field. his accuracy could use some help i would agree on that but dog **** i just dont agree with that statement

Well name me one loser in College that went on to have a great NFL career. Don't name Brady because he didn't even play in College.

I want to see the Bills draft a QB that knows how to WIN.

Locker has really hurt himself by not coming out last year. He will be lucky to get drafted in the 2nd rnd & I hope to God it's not by the Bills.

Mad Bomber
10-31-2010, 09:27 AM
I think we wait and see.
Make sure to watch Luck vs Locker tonite....

Luck 19/26 192 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Locker 7/14 64 yds 0 TD 2 INT

Figster
10-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Cam Newton is looking more and more like Randall Cunningham every time I watch him.

Myself personally, I really like Greg McElroy out of Alabama.

The 2011 draft looks to be a good one for signal callers and the Buffalo Bills need to try their Luck, one way or the other in my opinion.

PcA125
10-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Can't believe you rate Stanzi that high. I'd like to hear what you see in him. But it is nice to see Gabbert is high on your list.

I dont think stanzi is that high, but I do think he is a good quarterback. It could be because I have been rooting for Iowa and a little biased, but why dont you like him? I have heard people say that he is a CFL qb. Why cant he play in the NFL? Seems to have the arm strength, he wins, he has really cut down on his mistakes this year and he plays in cold weather.

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2010, 04:58 PM
after today, it's apparent that the bills cannot wait another year to draft a qb. i hope to god luck comes out.

Mr. Pink
10-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Christian Ponder will be a Buffalo Bill.

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2010, 05:15 PM
really? ponder? i hope not.

Mad Max
10-31-2010, 05:24 PM
really? ponder? i hope not.

Maybe as a 5th rounder to groom as Fitzy's replacement as backup.

But certainly not to start.

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2010, 05:37 PM
i don't know if i could stand to watch fitzpatrick for another whole year. i understand he is trying but with a constantly good quarterback the bills win easily today. the bills were lucky that cassell is so terrible. i'm sick of this hit or miss crap. it needs to happen week in and week out. no more ducks flying to opposing players.

Figster
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm still real high on Greg McElroy in a later round, but Cam Newton is also starting to peak my interest and threw the ball very well against a game Ole Miss football team on Saturday.

Chan Gailey could do a lot with a fella like Cam Newton

k-oneputt
11-01-2010, 08:21 AM
McElroy doesn't have enough arm for the NFL imo. Career backup.

Figster
11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
McElroy doesn't have enough arm for the NFL imo. Career backup.

Myself personally, Greg McElroy has great touch on the football with excellent timing and accuracy and he uses it to his advantage, much like Brian Brohm.

McElroys leadership, excellent pocket awareness and sheer toughness is what makes him a real good looking prospect, in my opinion anyway.

Greg McElroy has ice running through his veins...all this kid does is win football games...

k-oneputt
11-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Myself personally, Greg McElroy has great touch on the football with excellent timing and accuracy and he uses it to his advantage, much like Brian Brohm.

McElroys leadership, excellent pocket awareness and sheer toughness is what makes him a real good looking franchise prospect, in my opinion anyway.

Greg McElroy has ice running through his veins...all this kid does is win football games...

I don't disagree with any of that but you still need enough of an arm in this league to succed. He is perfect for Bama with all that talent around him but passing windows close fast in the NFL.

Figster
11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't disagree with any of that but you still need enough of an arm in this league to succed. He is perfect for Bama with all that talent around him but passing windows close fast in the NFL.

I understand where your coming from , but QB's like McElroy and Brohm are less dependent on arm strength because of their ability to drop the football in over top of the defender/s with pinpoint accuracy. Its something that can't be taught and adds a whole other dimension to what a QB can do when you can use the height of the ball/trajectory to make up for improper timing.

k-oneputt
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe that's why Brohm can't seem to get on the field in the NFL ?

Figster
11-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Maybe that's why Brohm can't seem to get on the field in the NFL ?

Brohm wasn't going to get on the playing field in Green Bay standing in the shadows of Aaron Rodgers, and the Bills had two veteran signal callers here in Buffalo, so Brian Brohm just simply hasn't had the opportunity yet to prove himself in my opinion.

When they showed Brohm on the sidelines late in the Chiefs game, Brian Brohm had a look of astonishment on his face that we hadn't been able to win the football game.

Bangarang
11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
McElroy will be a bum at the NFL level. Cam Newton will be the kind of player you use on trick plays. I don't see him being a successful QB at the NFL level either.

Basically, the only guys I see as being successful QBs at the next level are Luck and Mallett.

Figster
11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
McElroy will be a bum at the NFL level. Cam Newton will be the kind of player you use on trick plays. I don't see him being a successful QB at the NFL level either.

Basically, the only guys I see as being successful QBs at the next level are Luck and Mallett.

Mallet or Luck seems to be everyone's top choices, ( I Like Mallet) but the 2011 draft is going to be a good one for signal callers in my opinion.

If I'm Nix/Gailey or RW (whoever is running the show):duel:

I'm keeping my eye on QB's like Cam Newton and Greg McElroy in the later rounds.

BertSquirtgum
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
if we go 0-16 gailey should be demoted to offensive cordinator and bring in someone who isn't a moron.