PDA

View Full Version : Postgame Reactions

Mahdi
11-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I notice a lot of people calling for the benching of Fitz and the firing of Gailey. People need to realize that this is a process. Fitz will be evaluated based on his entire season as a whole not on a game by game basis. He won't throw for 4 TDs every game. No one is saying Fitz has earned the starting job next year and no one can say he has not earned it. Once the season is over that will be clear.

As for those wanting a new Coach. That is what I can't comprehend the most. Gailey has brought out the best in this team winning or not.

Parrish has become a threat, Stevie's potential has exploded into a starting NFL WR, our OL is becoming a decent unit with a 7th round LT and an undrafted RG at RT and a journeyman QB is playing at a high level.

Gailey is very intelligent and a very good strategist. His playcalling is unpredictable and the guy knows what he is doing. Gailey has made watching the Bills offense exciting again and once he adds more talent to the team we will begin competing for a playoff spot.

We are a very similar team to the Chiefs actually. Our year right now is going very similarly to how the Chiefs season went last year. They sucked on defense with the transition to the 3-4 their offense was improving and they had a new HC.

EDS
11-01-2010, 08:22 AM
I notice a lot of people calling for the benching of Fitz and the firing of Gailey. People need to realize that this is a process. Fitz will be evaluated based on his entire season as a whole not on a game by game basis. He won't throw for 4 TDs every game. No one is saying Fitz has earned the starting job next year and no one can say he has not earned it. Once the season is over that will be clear.

As for those wanting a new Coach. That is what I can't comprehend the most. Gailey has brought out the best in this team winning or not.

Parrish has become a threat, Stevie's potential has exploded into a starting NFL WR, our OL is becoming a decent unit with a 7th round LT and an undrafted RG at RT and a journeyman QB is playing at a high level.

Gailey is very intelligent and a very good strategist. His playcalling is unpredictable and the guy knows what he is doing. Gailey has made watching the Bills offense exciting again and once he adds more talent to the team we will begin competing for a playoff spot.

We are a very similar team to the Chiefs actually. Our year right now is going very similarly to how the Chiefs season went last year. They sucked on defense with the transition to the 3-4 their offense was improving and they had a new HC.

Gailey is following his m.o. from K.C. to a T - passing heavy offense that puts up yards but does not win games.

T-Long
11-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I think the most important thing with this team the rest of the season is not winning games, it's showing improvement and solidifying their positions for next season. Obviously the year is lost, but they need to keep showing improvement. Like I said before, I'm tired of the seasons where we win 6-8 games and draft in the middle and keep missing those picks for the most part. Sullivan said it perfectly before the season started that bottoming out may be the best thing for this team, and we are seeing that now.

I also think that Tom Modrak's time is up with the Bills. There is just too many misses to excuse it any longer. Although I do know the sentiment that Jauron made the call on Maybin, but enough is enough. Let's get a fresh face and different outlook in here to work with Nix and Whaley.

Mahdi
11-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Gailey is following his m.o. from K.C. to a T - passing heavy offense that puts up yards but does not win games.
Yeah because we have been losing because of our offense???

Don't Panic
11-01-2010, 08:30 AM
I do not get calling for Gailey's head... Edwards maybe, but not Gailey. As for Fitz, I still think he's the perfect fit with Luck, should we be so fortunate. That said, I'm all about giving Brohm a chance sooner than later.

psubills62
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Gailey has shown that he's put a solid offense together. I believe they'll draft an OT this coming offseason, and I'd like to see Marcus Easley on the field as well. I just wish we knew why they heck they drafted Spiller.

As far as defense goes, I don't know how much control Gailey has over it, but it seems to me that we need 1) better personnel, and 2) a better DC. I think our personnel is obviously lacking, but it's also apparent that some things need to be adjusted in terms of the scheme.

Overall, I think Gailey's made the offense good enough to win. And as Op pointed out before the season, we didn't really upgrade any position over what it was last year. The defense needs a lot of work, though, which is a problem because we spent several important draft picks on it this past offseason.

I really hope Troup and Carrington can develop into guys who contribute a lot next season. We really need them, as well as Batten, Moats, and Coleman, to step up.

So far this season, we haven't played a single opponent who currently holds a losing record. In the next 6 games we play four teams that are at 2-5 right now. I'm really hoping that the Baltimore game wasn't just a result of having a bye week before it.

psubills62
11-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I do not get calling for Gailey's head... Edwards maybe, but not Gailey. As for Fitz, I still think he's the perfect fit with Luck, should we be so fortunate. That said, I'm all about giving Brohm a chance sooner than later.

I'm somewhat torn about Brohm. I don't think he really figures into our long-term plans. If he does, then after we get our first win, I'd have no qualms about seeing him start. Get him out there, get him some experience in the offense, etc. If the coaches plan on drafting a QB high in the next 2 years (which I assume they do), then I'm not sure the experience is worth it for Brohm.

Billz_fan
11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Right now I am not calling for any heads. I like Fitz, is he going to brings us rings. Probably not. I do think if we get a franchise QB (we need divine help here obviously) at some point I think Fitz is going to be a solid #2 for long term.

After a terrible start Chan is showing that the boys can play some football here lately. They are working hard to win. Coming up short but showing progress. At least we are not jumping offsides 10 times a game and looking lifeless.

k-oneputt
11-01-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't understand the Spiller thing either.
If they are not gonna use him, why waste the 9th pick on him.

And why isn't Troup and Carrington getting the pt ? You can lose with the old guys or lose and get valuable pt for the young guys.

Mahdi
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Gailey has shown that he's put a solid offense together. I believe they'll draft an OT this coming offseason, and I'd like to see Marcus Easley on the field as well. I just wish we knew why they heck they drafted Spiller.

As far as defense goes, I don't know how much control Gailey has over it, but it seems to me that we need 1) better personnel, and 2) a better DC. I think our personnel is obviously lacking, but it's also apparent that some things need to be adjusted in terms of the scheme.

Overall, I think Gailey's made the offense good enough to win. And as Op pointed out before the season, we didn't really upgrade any position over what it was last year. The defense needs a lot of work, though, which is a problem because we spent several important draft picks on it this past offseason.

I really hope Troup and Carrington can develop into guys who contribute a lot next season. We really need them, as well as Batten, Moats, and Coleman, to step up.

So far this season, we haven't played a single opponent who currently holds a losing record. In the next 6 games we play four teams that are at 2-5 right now. I'm really hoping that the Baltimore game wasn't just a result of having a bye week before it.
Spiller is going to be a big time player. He just can't get the carries right now. Everything is in place for him to takeover soon enough and learning from Fred right now will make him that much better.

EDS
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM

The Bills have not won as a result of their offense either. On the season the offense statistically is not among the top 15 units in the league.

It remains to be seen whether the team will make wholesale changes in the offseason as the result of bringing in a new QB.

casdhf
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I'll be interested to see how this offense rolls out in December.

DraftBoy
11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Im not calling for Gailey's head right now, but his decisions are at times head scratching.

The development of Parrish and Johnson though are very promising.

Jeff1220
11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
The Bills have not won as a result of their offense either. On the season the offense statistically is not among the top 15 units in the league.

It remains to be seen whether the team will make wholesale changes in the offseason as the result of bringing in a new QB.

I'm too lazy to do the work, but I'd be curious to see where the offense ranks in the weeks since Edwards was benched and then released, because these were Trent's numbers in the combined two games he started this year:

Trent Edwards 52 29 241 55.8 4.6 1 1.9 2 3.8 31 7 63 58.3

Fitz did better than that in his first start of the season vs. NE. I'm sure those first two weeks drags the Team O ranking down a bit.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-01-2010, 12:16 PM
They did yesterday.

Figster
11-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Chan Gailey is proving once again the ability to take an average at best signal caller and competing.

Gailey is QB guru like DJ was a CB guru, so how about drafting Gailey a couple of (not just one) promising looking QB prospects and let the man work his magic.

Philagape
11-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm too lazy to do the work, but I'd be curious to see where the offense ranks in the weeks since Edwards was benched and then released, because these were Trent's numbers in the combined two games he started this year:

Fitz did better than that in his first start of the season vs. NE. I'm sure those first two weeks drags the Team O ranking down a bit.

Seriously, people who cite any number based on the entire season, I'm like, did they have a stroke or something? Um, hello, Trent Edwards?

The Warrior
11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
The only thing I really dislike about Gailey is his play calling at times. I really like him (andI think he is a good coach) but he can be very inconsisitent (sp) in playcalling.

YardRat
11-01-2010, 03:33 PM

KC went out and hired a real DC for this season...I hope Gailey does the same for us.

psubills62
11-01-2010, 03:42 PM
KC went out and hired a real DC for this season...I hope Gailey does the same for us.

My completely unrealistic dream would be for Gailey to get Mike Singletary if he's fired.

madness
11-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Average with Fitz: 349 net offensive yards/gm puts at us 13th overall... take out the highest and lowest outputs and we're at 16th overall

Don't Panic
11-02-2010, 08:20 AM
My completely unrealistic dream would be for Gailey to get Mike Singletary if he's fired.

I'd be down with that... make him assistant head coach as well to cushion his ego.

Singletary isn't getting another HC job any time soon. Should other teams not come calling, we may be a decent option for him - especially if we actually upgrade the personnel.

better days
11-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I'd be down with that... make him assistant head coach as well to cushion his ego.

Singletary isn't getting another HC job any time soon. Should other teams not come calling, we may be a decent option for him - especially if we actually upgrade the personnel.

I have heard that while Singletary is a good motivator, he is not a good X's & O's guy so I would pass on him as the DC.