• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Steelers waived Thaddeus Gibson

It seems like mostly speculation, but the article says:

Linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, who was placed on waivers Saturday so the Steelers could add defensive lineman Steve McLendon to the roster for a third game this season, likely will be claimed by another team off waivers today. It is expected that, at the very least, Buffalo will put in a claim for him; Doug Whaley, the former Steelers pro personnel coordinator, is Buffalo's assistant general manager.
    They could sure use the upgrade to the LB's. Not sure if Gibson is an upgrade, but considering who the Steelers have at LB, their 4th string guys is almost certainly better than most of our OLB's.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: Steelers waived Thaddeus Gibson

I think hed be worth a look. The Bills have nothing to lose at this point. They should be starting young guys like Maybin and Brohm and evaluating the entire roster top to bottom. I dont expect a lot of this year's team to be her next season. Putting a claim on a young guy like Gibson gives is another guy to evaluate. Im ok with that.
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
      • Sep 2008

There would be no downside in claiming him. Throw some **** at the wall and hope it sticks.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

how old is he, and why is he being released? I honestly have no idea.

if he is 27 or younger and was a numbers game/performance issue. Pick him up.

if he is over 30 and got cut because he just doesn't have it anymore...don't touch him.

i realize those sound similar, but they are infact quite different.

if he is struggling under some new changes, he's worth a look. if he simply looks like he's lost a step, i believe you pronounce it cornell green.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by trapezeus

if he is over 30 and got cut because he just doesn't have it anymore...don't touch him.

if he is struggling under some new changes, he's worth a look. if he simply looks like he's lost a step, i believe you pronounce it cornell green.
          He is 23.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

He's a rookie.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by trapezeus

He was drafted in the 4th round this past offseason. The article says:

They knew when they placed Gibson on waivers that a team likely would claim him and there would be little chance to sneak him through and onto the practice squad. They had other choices but chose this route.

"Linebacker is our deepest position," said coach Mike Tomlin on the team's website, "and [Gibson] is the low man on the totem pole, so we had to make that necessary move. We were thin at defensive line. It's just one of the casualties of this profession. It's very much a reality, and that's why we don't take what we're doing here for granted and we acknowledge that it's precious."

"Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

well he did go to one of the Bills favorite schools, THE OHIO St.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

Pick this guy up and dump Maybin...

The Bills are on pace to allow 528 points this season, five points shy of the NFL record. They're last in the league against the run, last in interceptions, last in points allowed. It's shaping up to be the worst defense in the history of the franchise.

And yet, it's still too good for Aaron Maybin, who can't get on the field. Last Sunday, Maybin couldn't even get in uniform. For the first time in his brief pro career, the Bills' second-year linebacker was inactive for a regular-season game.

Maybin, back in his native Baltimore with family and friends in attendance, was reduced to standing on the sidelines in his street clothes. It was a new low, an utter humiliation for the man who was the No. 11 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

"Obviously, it was very disappointing," Maybin said Wednesday in his first comments since Sunday's game. "But the coaching staff made the decision they felt they needed to make, and we have to live with that."

It's quite possible that Maybin is the worst player in the NFL (though a case could be made for John McCargo, another former Bills' first-rounder who has been inactive all six games).

There's a good chance Maybin will be inactive again this week against Kansas City, the NFL's top rushing team. After a year and a half, he hasn't gotten better. If anything, he's regressed. Maybin has 21 tackles in 21 games. He has no sacks. This season, he's been on the field for 66 plays, with few tangible results.

The Bills gave Maybin a $15 million signing bonus after his holdout in 2009. That's not the sort of return on investment that made capitalism great. If Maybin were some seventh-round pick -- like, say, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Stevie Johnson -- he'd be long gone by now.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                    • Mar 2003

this is a no brainer

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                      • Oct 2002

I would rather have Maybin than Kelsay. At least Maybin is young and can hopefully get better.

Comment

• Hogwasher
                        • Aug 2010

Yup, he looked good against the best college competition, and from what i saw in preseason i was not disappointed. He has the physical tools to play. We dont have anything to lose.

Comment

• elltrain22
                          • Sep 2003

Get it done OBD
                          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Bangarang
                            • Sep 2010

A linebacker drafted by the Steelers? I'm convinced. The guy is an athletic freak and is very young. I can't think of any reasons why we shouldn't give him a chance.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                              • Jun 2009

gibson to the 49ers.

I guess he wasn't good enough to crack our super linebacking corp.

Comment

Working...
                              X