PDA

View Full Version : Schefter on Bills QB situation

T-Long
11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Q: After the way Ryan Fitzpatrick has played, many people are claiming the Buffalo Bills can address their needs on the offensive and defensive line before grabbing a QB in the draft, especially if Andrew Luck doesn't declare. I'm not too sure I agree. What do you think is their biggest area of need?

-- Eric (New York)

A: Eric, if there is a franchise quarterback there, someone the Bills can build their franchise around for the next decade, Buffalo must take him. No matter what. No matter how well Fitzpatrick plays the rest of the season. Now Buffalo could use help elsewhere. It could use a stud defensive lineman, and there will be one available. And it could use a great offensive lineman or two (or three). But the truth is, if Luck is there and the Bills have the top pick, it would be wise for the Stanford QB to start perusing real estate in the Buffalo area.

DraftBoy
11-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Basically confirms what many of us have been saying.

Luck you go for it, otherwise look elsewhere.

Beebe's Kid
11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Ed Zachery

superbills
11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
What's Billy Volek doing these days?

Figster
11-01-2010, 12:49 PM

With all due respect, I don't see the otherwise look elsewhere part and Luck is just being used as an example, a good one I'll be it, but still just an example.

Unless I'm missing something. (maybe I'm misunderstanding you)

Mahdi
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Yeah, pretty much agree. Mallett could make a push, but at #1 overall or 2 or 3 it's a stretch. Mallett would really have to put on a show the rest of the way to be taken #1 overall by Buffalo assuming Luck doesn't declare.

ServoBillieves
11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Strike season = No Luck. (The name, not the pun.)

k-oneputt
11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
My bad, I thought Fitz was gonna be our franchise qb as of last week.

you have three qb's, and you have to take one.

Who's to say one of thos d-linemen doesn't become a stiff ?
What about our two stellar dl taken in this years draft ? The Sunbelt specials.

Slim
11-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Strike season = No Luck. (The name, not the pun.)

If there is a strike season and we have the number one pick, we would have the #1 pick next year as well.

tampabay25690
11-01-2010, 01:36 PM

DB Im with you on this now.....
LUCK is our guy if not I say the BEST Defensive guy available....

Night Train
11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I heard the lockout would start prior to the draft, so it would be posponed for a year. Eligible reshirt Soph.'s (Luck) and more common redshirt juniors would just return to college for another year.

Let's hope that never happens but little doubt Luck is the only pick if he comes out. After that, you fix the D.

Ed
11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I heard the lockout would start prior to the draft, so it would be posponed for a year. Eligible reshirt Soph.'s (Luck) and more common redshirt juniors would just return to college for another year.

Let's hope that never happens but little doubt Luck is the only pick if he comes out. After that, you fix the D.
So you're saying if there's a lockout, there would be no draft in 2011?

T-Long
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
So you're saying if there's a lockout, there would be no draft in 2011?
The draft will still happen, but if there is a lockout, most underclassman will return to college (that is if they don't have a high grade on them)

SquishDaFish
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
There will still be a draft no matter what. The problem is most of the underclass players will go back to college

madness
11-01-2010, 03:34 PM
If there’s a lockout, will there still be a draft next spring?
Yes, but it won’t be business as usual for the teams or for the players they select. With no CBA in place, teams won’t be able to sign players, and those post-draft minicamps will be non-existent. Also, in the absence of a CBA, the league’s ability to generate revenues from the new crop of big-name draftees will be limited. In other words, if you want to purchase one of those sweet new Jake Locker jerseys in the aftermath of his being drafted, you’ll have to buy one without his name on the back of it or wait until a new CBA is signed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-laborquestions090810

Ed
11-01-2010, 04:27 PM
The draft will still happen, but if there is a lockout, most underclassman will return to college (that is if they don't have a high grade on them)
Ok that's what I thought, but I got the impression from Night Trains post that the draft would be postponed.

So assuming we finish last and there is indeed a lockout, is there confirmation that we would get the #1 pick in both the 2011 and 2012 draft? Because if that's the case, there's absolutely no reason to draft a qb this year if a lockout happens.

ParanoidAndroid
11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
a good one I'll be it

you mean..... albeit, a good one.

just fyi.... not trying to be a ****.

Akhippo
11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
My fear is them taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB. Spending a third round pick on a dev. qb will ultimately preclude them from taking a first round stud should he fall in their laps.

I want an already assembled coat rack to hang my hat on. I dont want to buy the wood and have some amateur try to put one together for me.

casdhf
11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
So if there's a strike, we'll have two #1 overall picks in back to back years? Yes!!

HAMMER
11-02-2010, 03:49 PM
you mean..... albeit, a good one.

just fyi.... not trying to be a ****.

It's amazing how many sayings people butcher like this, we should start a thread with them. This one is an Dogism.

HopefulBillsFan
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM
If Luck declares- Luck

If Luck doesn't declare- Dareus