PDA

View Full Version : If the Bills go after Merriman

The King
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Here's how it goes in my opinion.

Buffalo Bills: Our team is very interested in Shawne and we plan to acquire him off of waivers.

Merriman's Agent: I see. Shawne would rather play for a team that's a contender. He doesn't want to risk being injured on a non-competing team.

Buffalo Bills: Ya but we have the rights to him if we want. We see a long future for Shawne here, the fans would love a player like him.

Merriman's Agent: We think Buffalo has great support, but ideally it's not what Shawne is looking for.

Buffalo Bills: I am sure if he gave it a chance he would enjoy playing for this city, and come to love being a Bill.

Merriman's Agent: I don't think so.

Buffalo Bills: What if we claim him anyway?

Merriman's Agent: I wouldn't do that.

Buffalo Bills: Why?

Merriman's Agent: He's injured.

Buffalo Bills: But... he just passed a physical like 2 hours ago?

Merriman's Agent: *click*

Bangarang
11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Merriman is in no spot to be picky about where he wants to go.

Mr. Miyagi
11-02-2010, 01:59 PM
:rofl:

seanbillsfan
11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
That's probably how most conversations go when we call agents. I can't really blame them though

better days
11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Merriman is in no spot to be picky about where he wants to go.

Of course, EVERY player would like to play for a contender. There are only so many of those. Getting paid GOOD money by a losing team beats being jobless.

Nighthawk
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Wow...Bills fans are so paranoid...amazing!

Bill Cody
11-02-2010, 03:40 PM
If we have a guy that has a good supply of "the clear" Merriman could be on his way back to being all pro. If we don't I'd pass.

SpillerThrills
11-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow...Bills fans are so paranoid...amazing!

who's acting paranoid????

Nighthawk
11-02-2010, 05:31 PM
who's acting paranoid????

If you need to ask, then it isn't worth answering your question.

X-Era
11-02-2010, 05:46 PM
The Bills should add Merriman. Even as a backup, he's better than any backup we have. He's also arguably better than any LB we currently have.

The plan for this move should be this. Get him here, get him in and around the team, and I think the chances that he would be willing to resign with us would go up exponentially. T.O. was a precedence for this notion, once he was here and playing with us, he was interested in resigning.

This is the kind of player who is a significant upgrade now, is 26 years old, and who we would likely have no shot at in free agency. If your this bad, you need to make a move like this.

As far as money? I dont give two ****s about the Bills and the money. They are the worse team in the league and were 30+ mill below the cap when it ended before gaining even more cap room. No, money is no issue on a team this bad.

circlethewagons
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Would we get a compensary pick for him at the end of the year? if so, just acquiring him might be worth it

Bangarang
11-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Would we get a compensary pick for him at the end of the year? if so, just acquiring him might be worth it

I was wondering this as well.

methos4ever
11-03-2010, 06:19 AM

Since we would assume his original contract (with only 1.7 or so pro-rated left) yes, if he signed somewhere else we could get a comp pick for him.

The King
11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Schefter isn't listing the Bills as a destination. :guninmouth:

Ingtar33
11-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Schefter isn't listing the Bills as a destination. :guninmouth:

of course not.

Nix did sleep through the start of FA... i'm sure he'll be right on Merriman... after his nap.

Mahdi
11-03-2010, 09:24 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/03/merriman-gets-lost-in-moss-shadow/

Florio has a feeling Buffalo will claim him. I hope he is right.

The King
11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
me too.

RockStar36
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Having Nix is actually part of the reason I'm hopeful on Merriman.

Hogwasher
11-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Merriman seems to be almost completely washed up, but he might be better than what we have.

The last buffalo fan
11-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Merriman seems to be almost completely washed up, but he might be better than what we have.

Are you kidding me? He is no better than mighty Kelsay nor Ellison the giant!!!!

RockStar36
11-03-2010, 10:05 AM

I go back to my original statement.

Merriman on one leg is probably better than most of our LBs on two legs. Have you seen our defense this season?

The King
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
do we have to wait until 4?

HAMMER
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM

I don't know where you get the idea he is washed up. Are you telling me he goes from all world to washed up in a couple years? He has had a rash of injuries, he didn't forget how to play football. Don't think that just because AJ Smith let him get away that he can't still play.

RockStar36
11-03-2010, 11:09 AM
do we have to wait until 4?

Yep.

justasportsfan
11-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't know where you get the idea he is washed up. Are you telling me he goes from all world to washed up in a couple years? He has had a rash of injuries, he didn't forget how to play football. Don't think that just because AJ Smith let him get away that he can't still play.

yup. I'd take a chance on him just like the Saints took a chance on Drew Brees and his shoulders back then.

better days
11-03-2010, 08:16 PM
yup. I'd take a chance on him just like the Saints took a chance on Drew Brees and his shoulders back then.

And the Bills have much less invested in Merriman, hence less risk than the Saints had with Brees.