PDA

View Full Version : how many bills starters do you think could make it through waivers?

trapezeus
11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
If the bills were to cut all their starters, how many do you think end up making it through waivers?

of the starting 11 on offense, i think all the skill positions would be picked up including fitz. i think wood and levtre get picked up, but the tackles and center do not.

of the starting 11 of defense, i think florence, mckelvin, pos, stroud, byrd get picked up. everyone else makes it.

Guesses?

Pinkerton Security
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM
i would agree with your assessment.

Bangarang
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Maybin gets picked up for sure.

BertSquirtgum
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
60% would make it through. of that, i am sure.

Billz_fan
11-02-2010, 04:30 PM

By a cab maybe :D

Jan Reimers
11-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Edwards and Williams, off the top of my head, get claimed. So do Whitner, Scott and Wilson.

YardRat
11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
None. They'd all be picked up by somebody.

bflojohn
11-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I am saying this from a practical application, after 7 full games, there are a number of teams that are banged up. Therefore, the vast majority of the Bills starting roster would indeed be picked up, IMO. I think two or three would have plenty of trouble latching on somewhere, but other teams would bite!!

trapezeus
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Edwards and Williams, off the top of my head, get claimed. So do Whitner, Scott and Wilson.

kyle williams would be a good pick up for a 4-3 team.

i could buy the argument that banged up teams would pretty much pick up any of our players.

RockStar36
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I doubt many. If Edwards got claimed, most of the players on the Bills now would as well.

TacklingDummy
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Without a doubt. The coaches here are just not using him right.

Lexwhat
11-02-2010, 07:11 PM
People have to remember that a player waived mid-season comes with a financial obligation.

To those who said "everyone" would be claimed -- you're tellin me that Chris Kelsey would be picked up, at his salary?? Lee Evans at his salary? McKelvin or Whitner at their salary?

The only players who would be picked up, IMO...
-- Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Fitzpatrick
-- Dwan Edwards, Drayton Florence, Terrance McGee, Jairus Byrd, Kyle Williams, Paul Posluszny.

...And not all of these guys would be picked up to be starters either.

sksteele
11-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Everyone gets picked up - depth in the NFL is non existent, and the margin between good and bad isnt as wide as we think. The Bills dont have high school players.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-02-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree, if Trent Edwards got picked up, I will say everyone would.

trapezeus
11-03-2010, 08:29 AM
QB's will get picked up. You have to be insanely bad to not get picked up (russell and others who shall not be named).

The worry about the starter QB durability and the lack of options makes even the rex grossmans go around the league several times.

Coach Sal
11-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Great thread. Great question to think about.

I think all would have the possibility of getting claimed because every team has different needs, injuries, schemes, etc.

Obviously, a few would be no-brainers.

But the fact that we could even have this debate and think of so many starters who MAY NOT get claimed is very, very sad.

Dr. Lecter
11-03-2010, 10:40 AM
People have to remember that a player waived mid-season comes with a financial obligation.

To those who said "everyone" would be claimed -- you're tellin me that Chris Kelsey would be picked up, at his salary?? Lee Evans at his salary? McKelvin or Whitner at their salary?

The only players who would be picked up, IMO...
-- Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Fitzpatrick
-- Dwan Edwards, Drayton Florence, Terrance McGee, Jairus Byrd, Kyle Williams, Paul Posluszny.

...And not all of these guys would be picked up to be starters either.

McKelvin would get picked up before McGee.

trapezeus
11-03-2010, 11:31 AM
i guess i asked the question in the light of a couple high profile pick ups out there.

In my mind I was wondering, If the bills waived Kelsay for Merriman, would kelsay be picked up? And then it started to occur to me, if the bills needed to pick someone up, there is probably a bevy of players they can choose from to waive who won't get picked up. and in some cases, teams would be less likely to take our "high priced" starters than our cheap practice squaders because of the risk/reward angle.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I doubt many. If Edwards got claimed, most of the players on the Bills now would as well.
Excellent point.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Just about anybody except Kelsay. Given how absolutely horrendous he's been, and his price tag, I could easily imagine him clearing waivers. The others? Not so much.