PDA

View Full Version : Zone Exclusive: One Fan's View

northernbillfan
11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Here is this week's installment of OFV:

I was in Columbus for Halloween to hang with my 6 nieces and nephews. This is an annual thing that we’ve been doing, and it’s proven to be a lot of fun. I get to accompany a couple kids under the age of 6 to a handful of houses so they can get candy and I get to wear my Sabres jersey. The trade off is that I miss this Halloween game due to the flight back.

In other years, this was a devastating, angst ridden moment. This year, it’s not the worst thing, or so I thought.

My flight left at 1:40pm and arrived at 3:30pm on Sunday. I kept up with the early parts of the game on my phone through yahoo.com. “Kevin, you are super into football, why don’t you have the DirecTV app for your iphone?” I did last year. It didn’t work once. It was pretty awful.

Upon landing, the flight attendant said, “If you have your phone near by, you can turn it on.” By the time he was done with the announcement, I was connected to the internet and saw it was 10-3. Then a stream of texts came in. My pal, Steve, said, “Kelsay made Cassel look like Vick there.”

Full article (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2010/11/03/one_fans_view_bills_are_playing_a_special_type_of_football_now.php)

hydro
11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Superb article. Loved every bit of it!

delectrolux
11-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Seriously, excellent read. Funny and dead on. Thanks.

Dozerdog
11-03-2010, 10:42 AM
:up:

justasportsfan
11-03-2010, 10:49 AM
:up:

Mad Bomber
11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Excellent job, Kevin! :bf1:

Forward_Lateral
11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh man, the "I know they are going to lose, but I have to do this" comment hits right on.

I was watching the game, and my wife, my 7 month old daughter, and I had to go to my father's and then my in-laws for a few minutes for Halloween (whatever). Well, if you aren't familiar with a mother and a baby's schedule, you wouldn't understand the following tidbit.
The Bills tied it up, and I was happy. Then I thought, just before my wife said the exact same thing "Oh man, I hope this game doesn't go too long like last week." Then the Bills got the ball back with 1 min left, and were driving. It looked like they were about to get into FG range, and boom. Fitz throws the pic.
I ended up watching OT, until Lindell missed, then I said F it, let's go to my Dad's.
We get there, and my brother says "do you know what's going on?" I said I figured the Chiefs kicked the winning FG after the Bills missed. Then I saw the game was still on.
The entire time I KNEW the Bills would lose. I could sense it. I didn't care though. I was happy to be entertained and not crushed by 2:30 in the afternoon.
It just feels like the team is getting better. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but something feels different this time around.

trapezeus
11-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Oh man, the "I know they are going to lose, but I have to do this" comment hits right on.

I was watching the game, and my wife, my 7 month old daughter, and I had to go to my father's and then my in-laws for a few minutes for Halloween (whatever). Well, if you aren't familiar with a mother and a baby's schedule, you wouldn't understand the following tidbit.
The Bills tied it up, and I was happy. Then I thought, just before my wife said the exact same thing "Oh man, I hope this game doesn't go too long like last week." Then the Bills got the ball back with 1 min left, and were driving. It looked like they were about to get into FG range, and boom. Fitz throws the pic.
I ended up watching OT, until Lindell missed, then I said F it, let's go to my Dad's.
We get there, and my brother says "do you know what's going on?" I said I figured the Chiefs kicked the winning FG after the Bills missed. Then I saw the game was still on.
The entire time I KNEW the Bills would lose. I could sense it. I didn't care though. I was happy to be entertained and not crushed by 2:30 in the afternoon.
It just feels like the team is getting better. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but something feels different this time around.

that is exactly why we think they are getting better. it technically is an improvement. no one knows if it really is something they can build on. the players themselves may be even more demoralized for doing what they think is "all the right things" and still lose games. it could lead us to getting blown out and a lot of crabby comments next monday.

but i still think Fitz has the brains to coach up a physically gifted QB who isn't afraid to take chances. I really think the offense might finally be fixed with the exception of a big time QB.

If we can simply stop the run, we could be a WC team next year. provided there is a season and provided something patentedly buffalo doesn't happen. Two huge things to ask for.

The last buffalo fan
11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
:bf1: It is a piece of art, good job!

"At my local bar, the bartender/owner knows me as his only Bills fan. For the last several years, I’ve sat at a table tucked away watching the only tv with the Bills on. He takes pity on me, offers a free soda or something, offers some kind words and then moves on to the big kids’ tables; the tables where fandom is not an embarrassing secret. The ones who can cheer during the game. This year, I’ve boldly enjoyed this, “worst team ever” status. I don’t slide into my spot quietly with my jacket zipped to my adam’s apple. Instead, I walk in with my bills gear fully visible. He seems to like my bravado.

“Looks like they’re going to overtime. You got a chance,” he says.
“Yeah, they are going to lose, but they got moxie these days. I like it.”
Then it devolves into some nonsense that a non-Bills fan would say, “maybe you’ll get a new coach.” “Hey that Fitzpatrick might be your guy.” “it’s cold in Buffalo now. Maybe home field advantage will help you win some games.” By that time, I tune out and accept it for what it is. I am a purveyor of a very special brand football that no one understands or wants to understand."

:spit: I know the feeling! :ill:

ZAZusmc03
11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
That was great, best one yet IMO.

northernbillfan
11-03-2010, 05:16 PM
See what happens when it gets published early on a Wednesday.

trapezeus
11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
wow, i like wednesdays. such good energy and that was before Merriman. I think we found gold.

HAMMER
11-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Great read Kevin, best yet!

northernbillfan
11-03-2010, 08:18 PM
wow, i like wednesdays. such good energy and that was before Merriman. I think we found gold.:hi5: