PDA

View Full Version : NFL Total Access - Jay Glazer is one dumb mother******!

Nighthawk
11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Listening to him he said that it makes no business sense for the Bills to pick up Merriman. Umm, hey Jay, you moron...it makes perfect sense! Picking him up for a position of need makes perfect sense! If he plays well and still wants to leave, the Bills can Franchise him and get a pick for him. If he plays well and the Bills resign him, they have filled a glaring hole on this team.

I'm sorry, Glazer is either really stupid or is just pissed because one of his favorite teams wasn't able to claim Merriman instead. What he said was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a "so called expert" ever say.

Wow, anybody can be a reporter it seems like.

more cowbell
11-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Listening to him he said that it makes no business sense for the Bills to pick up Merriman. Umm, hey Jay, you moron...it makes perfect sense! Picking him up for a position of need makes perfect sense! If he plays well and still wants to leave, the Bills can Franchise him and get a pick for him. If he plays well and the Bills resign him, they have filled a glaring hole on this team.

I'm sorry, Glazer is either really stupid or is just pissed because one of his favorite teams wasn't able to claim Merriman instead. What he said was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a "so called expert" ever say.

Anything the Bills do...the media puts a negative spin on it because they aren't a big market

Philagape
11-03-2010, 06:17 PM
If he plays well and still wants to leave, the Bills can Franchise him and get a pick for him. If he plays well and the Bills resign him, they have filled a glaring hole on this team.

What if he doesn't play well?

Nighthawk
11-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Then they lost nothing...and it cost them nothing. There is ZERO downside to this move.

BertSquirtgum
11-03-2010, 06:20 PM

so what? it's worse the chance. it not as if you're paying him. cheap ass ralph is actually going to shell out some money. get the f over it.

YardRat
11-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Then they can cut him, after getting a half-season of sideline coaching for the young LBers on the team.

Considering the dearth of talent/ability on this teams 'backers, even signing Mike Stratton, Phil Villiapiano or Darryl Talley at this point shouldn't be considered a bad move.

better days
11-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Best case............He plays well & enjoys playing in Buffalo.

Or..............He plays well & want out of Buffalo ASAP, in which case the Bills can get a comp pick or franchise & trade him.

Worst case........He sucks & is cut, bad for the Bills but worse for him. Who would want a LB that can't play in Buffalo?

BertSquirtgum
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
i believe if he plays well, the bills will have a good chance to sign him. i am pretty sure buddy nix was the reason he was drafted in san diego.

Buffalo Thriller
11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Some dumbass on Rome is burning, said Merriman is s strict 3-4 when the Bills are 4-3. Wow dude. Get a better source

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't know if he is a guy one would franchise (too much cost), but the move wont hurt the team

unpaid_bills
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I heard the same on NFL network. Why on earth is signing a good player (that was dominant not before last season) a "bad" business decision? What a tool. NFL players already have a chip on their shoulder this may just be a nice fit. Dont foget loyalty Nix was with the Chargers when they stole Merriman in the draft in the first round. A speed pass rusher who can play in the 3-4 even if he isnt 100% he is already one our best LBs at least he will take up one of the better blockers and at least make teams gameplan for him. Maybe this is a message to Maybin also???

TrEd FTW
11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm rarely one to complain about negative Bills coverage - they've been bad for a long time, so it's to be expected - but Glazer embarrassed himself. Rich Eisen tried to reason with him and then Glazer continued with his narrative about the move making no sense. Of course it makes sense; the Bills are hard up for linebackers and pass rushers, and Merriman is - wait for it - a pass-rushing linebacker. Whether he's any good anymore, we'll find out. It was worth a shot for the Bills, and basically costs them nothing.

Common sense, Jay. Get some.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 05:22 AM
It does make business sense.

He should be able to sell some tickets and jerseys.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't know if he is a guy one would franchise (too much cost), but the move wont hurt the team

Why...because the Bills don't have the money? I don't think your comment makes too much sense.

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Why...because the Bills don't have the money? I don't think your comment makes too much sense.
I don't think a player of his level is worth a tag anymore and nobody will trade for somebody with that tag on him. His last two years have not been good enough to stick the FT on him.

Jan Reimers
11-05-2010, 07:26 AM
We're not guaranteed a compensatory pick if we lose him, are we? Doesn't that depend on FA net losses/gains?

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2010, 07:29 AM
We're not guaranteed a compensatory pick if we lose him, are we? Doesn't that depend on FA net losses/gains?
Correct.

They need a net loss of FAs to be eligible for picks.

And that could change with the new CBA, at least in theory.

better days
11-05-2010, 07:33 AM

Yes, but Nix said the Bills will build through the draft & resign their own players rather than sign high priced free agents from other teams.

If Merriman plays well & leaves the Bills will likely get something.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 07:34 AM

It would be similar to us franchise tagging Keith Ellison, basically.

All Merriman is now is a big name playing off his reputation of years gone by.

Interesting fact...Merriman has 4 sacks in his last 16 starts.

better days
11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
It would be similar to us franchise tagging Keith Ellison, basically.

All Merriman is now is a big name playing off his reputation of years gone by.

Interesting fact...Merriman has 4 sacks in his last 16 starts.

Well, he has a number of QB pressures & has put the QB on the turf as well, in that time. Sometimes a pressure can be better than a sack because it can cause interceptions.

DraftBoy
11-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't think a player of his level is worth a tag anymore and nobody will trade for somebody with that tag on him. His last two years have not been good enough to stick the FT on him.

Well said, he's a guy who has been living off reputation, and not production. Now if he's finally healthy (no guarantee) maybe he returns to form.

I have no issue with the claim, but people thinking he's either worth the franchise tag or that he has some actual trade value are buying into the reputation aspect solely.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Well said, he's a guy who has been living off reputation, and not production. Now if he's finally healthy (no guarantee) maybe he returns to form.

I have no issue with the claim, but people thinking he's either worth the franchise tag or that he has some actual trade value are buying into the reputation aspect solely.

I find it hilarious that posters here that ripped the contract that we just gave Kelsay now say "well if Merriman won't resign we could just franchise tag him!"

As of right now and the past couple seasons actually, Kelsay is a better football player.

trapezeus
11-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Bills budget at beginning of season:

Pay Trent Edwards =$1.6MM
They cut Trent Edwards and save the $1.6MM
Sign Shawne Merriman = $1.7MM
Difference= $0.1MM

Do i have the numbers right? If so, the bills have basically budgeted for this. it literally costs them $100,000. The steelers fans are in town and sit in the endzone. They'll drink that much alone by kickoff. Paid!

and everyone has already talked about the low risk/high reward scenario.

mayotm
11-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I find it hilarious that posters here that ripped the contract that we just gave Kelsay now say "well if Merriman won't resign we could just franchise tag him!"

As of right now and the past couple seasons actually, Kelsay is a better football player.The people suggesting we could franchise Merriman are doing so with the caveat that he returns to form over the last half of the season. Nobody is suggesting franchising the Merriman of the past few years. Is that difficult for you to understand Mr. Pink?

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2010, 08:22 AM
The people suggesting we could franchise Merriman are doing so with the caveat that he returns to form over the last half of the season. Nobody is suggesting franchising the Merriman of the past few years. Is that difficult for you to understand Mr. Pink?
Even if he does that, it will be one 8 game stretch with two crap years immediately preceding that. Hardly worth a franchise tag.

Not to mention the idea that he is able to come into a new defense after not playing this season (or most of it) and tears it up with no other threats on the defense is remote at best.

mayotm
11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Even if he does that, it will be one 8 game stretch with two crap years immediately preceding that. Hardly worth a franchise tag.

Not to mention the idea that he is able to come into a new defense after not playing this season (or most of it) and tears it up with no other threats on the defense is remote at best.I'm not one of the people suggesting franchising him nor do I think he is going come in and tear it up. However, IF he does, the Bills have to consider all their options.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 08:46 AM
The people suggesting we could franchise Merriman are doing so with the caveat that he returns to form over the last half of the season. Nobody is suggesting franchising the Merriman of the past few years. Is that difficult for you to understand Mr. Pink?

So if Kelsay tears it up the next 8 games is he a bargain for his contract?

mayotm
11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
So if Kelsay tears it up the next 8 games is he a bargain for his contract?See, I knew it was too difficult for you to understand.

better days
11-05-2010, 09:00 AM

As of right now and the past couple seasons actually, Kelsay is a better football player.

Well, last year Merriman had 4 sacks & 20 QB pressures a team high & he played the run very well, so you are wrong.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
See, I knew it was too difficult for you to understand.

I understand completely.

Your viewpoint is if Merriman shows up for 8 games his previous 18 don't matter one bit. These 18 stretch from 2008 til now.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, last year Merriman had 4 sacks & 20 QB pressures a team high & he played the run very well, so you are wrong.

He played the run very well?

26 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 FR

41 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 FR, 1 FF, 22 pressures

Who's better? The second one. Who's the second one? Kelsay.

Am I still wrong?

mayotm
11-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I understand completely.

Your viewpoint is if Merriman shows up for 8 games his previous 18 don't matter one bit. These 18 stretch from 2008 til now.If (and it's a huge if) Merriman plays great over this eight game stretch, they have to consider all options to retain him. Nobody excpet you is arguing about Merriman's performance the past few seasons. Everybody knows he hasn't played well although some of that can certainly be attributed to injuries. Merriman is only 26. The Bills are rolling the dice that he returns to form. Also, you keep brining up Kelsay for some reason. Fine, I'll agree that Merriman hasn't been any better than Kelsay the past few seasons. However, the big difference between the two is that Merriman was very good at one point, Kelsay has never been good. It's not unreasonable to hope that a 26 year old returns to form. The Bills are void of playmakers, especially on defense. A Merriman of old helps fill that void.

better days
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Am I still wrong?

Yes you are still wrong. For one thing Merriman put up his numbers in only 14 games VS 16 for Kelsay, for another Merriman was playing injured all last year while Kelsay was healthy.

This year Merriman should be healthy & I will bet he puts up better numbers than Kelsay for the rest of the year.

justasportsfan
11-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Am I still wrong?

First of all, you conveniently left out that Merriman played through injury that year and he only played 14 games in 09.

How about you post Merrimans and Kelsays nos. both as OLB? It wouldn't be fair to Kelsay either because in his defense , this is the first time he's playing the position and that Merriman has had better players around him that help him play the 3-4.

Your stats are neither here nor there. It doesn't point out who was better in 09 because you're comparing apples and oranges. There's more to it than those stats alone. Aside from Shanwe playing injured, you're using stats from both players playing 2 different positions.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
First of all, you conveniently left out that Merriman played through injury that year and he only played 14 games in 09.

How about you post Merrimans and Kelsays nos. both as OLB? It wouldn't be fair to Kelsay either because in his defense , this is the first time he's playing the position and that Merriman has had better players around him that help him play the 3-4.

Your stats are neither here nor there. It doesn't point out who was better in 09 because you're comparing apples and oranges. There's more to it than those stats alone. Aside from Shanwe playing injured, you're using stats from both players playing 2 different positions.

Funny how you're a big stats guru when it comes to trying to prove a point in your direction but they're completely meaningless when it's contrary to your viewpoint.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes you are still wrong. For one thing Merriman put up his numbers in only 14 games VS 16 for Kelsay, for another Merriman was playing injured all last year while Kelsay was healthy.

This year Merriman should be healthy & I will bet he puts up better numbers than Kelsay for the rest of the year.

He should be healthy? That's why he's only played in 3 games and has been completely invisible in those games? OK!

Novacane
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
So if Kelsay tears it up the next 8 games is he a bargain for his contract?

Tearing it up for Kelsay would be 3 sacks.

justasportsfan
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Funny how you're a big stats guru when it comes to trying to prove a point in your direction but they're completely meaningless when it's contrary to your viewpoint.

my post didn't side with either Kelsay or Merriman. It was simply pointing out you're using flawed stats to make a comparison. You on the other hand like to argue with FACTS.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
my post didn't side with either Kelsay or Merriman. It was simply pointing out you're using flawed stats to make a comparison. You on the other hand like to argue with FACTS.

Your idea of "FACTS" are only good or matter when they improve your point of view.

justasportsfan
11-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Your idea of "FACTS" are only good or matter when they improve your point of view.

Funny. Thats what you did here. Too bad the rest of us knew what you were trying to do.

Am I still wrong?

mikemac2001
11-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Who cares what they did in 09 let's see how they finish out this year I bet merriman will be better since kelsay sucks balls

Billz_fan
11-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Wow, alot of folks really passionate about Merriman. I just hope he can play well enough to make a difference and folks are slapping the FT on him :laughter: Losing all your games sure does skew viewpoints.

justasportsfan
11-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow, alot of folks really passionate about Merriman. I just hope he can play well enough to make a difference and folks are slapping the FT on him :laughter: Losing all your games sure does skew viewpoints.

we're desperate fans.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Funny. Thats what you did here. Too bad the rest of us knew what you were trying to do.

No, what I was just doing was showing the hypocrisy and the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality of some people.

Fact is, as of today, Merriman is no better than Kelsay.

5 years ago Merriman was awesome, but that was 5 years ago. 5 years ago matters none of what Merriman brings here. What he brings here is an injury riddled shell of himself.

Kelsay is hated and thought of as a bum, meanwhile Merriman is some great pick up.

justasportsfan
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
No, what I was just doing was showing the hypocrisy and the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality of some people.

Fact is, as of today, Merriman is no better than Kelsay.

5 years ago Merriman was awesome, but that was 5 years ago. 5 years ago matters none of what Merriman brings here. What he brings here is an injury riddled shell of himself.

Kelsay is hated and thought of as a bum, meanwhile Merriman is some great pick up.

you used flawed stats to point out the hypocricy. As you can see I defended Kelsays side as well in your comparison.

Oh and as far as I'm concerned, we had nothing to lose in picking Merriman up but he's just another David Boston to me until he proves me wrong.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
you used flawed stats to point out the hypocricy. As you can see I defended Kelsays side as well in your comparison.

Flawed how?

Even if you pull Merrimans stats out to 16 games they're still not better than Kelsays numbers last year.

A 4-3 end and a 3-4 LB should have approximately the same opportunities to acquire tackles, sacks and pressures.

Use Merriman as being hurt as an excuse but guess what, he's still hurt now.

And as I've said before, we have a DC who doesn't believe in blitzing anyways...Merriman has always been a pass rusher, well until being hurt, so he's being placed into a scheme where he doesn't really fit anyways.

Unless we go back to playing the 3-4 mainly seeing we now give a ton of 4-3 looks anyways and George Edwards thinks he now can send the pressure with a broken down Merriman...what exactly was the point of getting him?

Outside of generating some fan interest, which has obviously worked very well and some money generating.

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
And as I've said before, we have a DC who doesn't believe in blitzing anyways...Merriman has always been a pass rusher, well until being hurt, so he's being placed into a scheme where he doesn't really fit anyways.

That is not entirely true. Right now the Bills do not have anybody that can blitz.

bf1
11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
for me the merriman pickup at least shows that the front office realizes that severe help is needed at lb.

justasportsfan
11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Flawed how?

Even if you pull Merrimans stats out to 16 games they're still not better than Kelsays numbers last year

A 4-3 end and a 3-4 LB should have approximately the same opportunities to acquire tackles, sacks and pressures..Apples and oranges . You used stats of 2 different players playing 2 different positions with different supporting cast. It's not fair to EITHER players.

Use Merriman as being hurt as an excuse but guess what, he's still hurt now...what has Kelsay done as an OLB? Nothing. What has Merriman done lately as an OLB . Nothing. Thats why those nos. and differrent circumstances don't prove anything.

Injuries play a part in a persons performance. His injury made him miss 2 games which would have played a part in the stats you used.

And as I've said before, we have a DC who doesn't believe in blitzing anyways...Merriman has always been a pass rusher, well until being hurt, so he's being placed into a scheme where he doesn't really fit anywaysUnless we go back to playing the 3-4 mainly seeing we now give a ton of 4-3 looks anyways and George Edwards thinks he now can send the pressure with a broken down Merriman...what exactly was the point of getting him?

Outside of generating some fan interest, which has obviously worked very well and some money generating.

We don't know that. Maybe the coaches don't blitz because we don't have the right players that can blitz well from the OLB position. Maybe it will change with Merriman. We'll hav to wait and see.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Wow...funny thing is nobody said he is worth the franchise tag. However, I have said that IF he plays well enough to be tagged, then he should be. If he sucks balls...then he leaves and nothing was lost. I love the spin some on this board put on things just to make them look intelligent.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 12:00 PM
That is not entirely true. Right now the Bills do not have anybody that can blitz.

You don't know that until you actually try it.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:01 PM

You do realize he still has 8 games to prove himself this year...don't you? Now, he may suck and then you're correct...he wouldn't be worth the tag, but to assume that he won't is kind of premature. I'm by no means saying he'll regain his former stature, but I'm also not able to say he won't. I'll wait it out and see how it plays out.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:02 PM

I totally agree that our DC is clueless...I'm not sure he knows what the hell he is doing on Sundays.

DraftBoy
11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Wow...funny thing is nobody said he is worth the franchise tag. However, I have said that IF he plays well enough to be tagged, then he should be. If he sucks balls...then he leaves and nothing was lost. I love the spin some on this board put on things just to make them look intelligent.

People have said it actually. Nobody said you did, Im well aware of what you said. Why you choose to repeat it yet again maybe plays to that thing you mention you love so much in the last part of your post.

Mr. Miyagi
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Juice him up and let him make a huge comeback, then trade him for a high pick before he gets tested for roids.

There's your business sense.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
People have said it actually. Nobody said you did, Im well aware of what you said. Why you choose to repeat it yet again maybe plays to that thing you mention you love so much in the last part of your post.

I'm just sayin' that some people have to stop posting like it's a fact that he is not going to produce here. Nobody knows for sure...

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Juice him up and let him make a huge comeback, then trade him for a high pick before he gets tested for roids.

There's your business sense.

Now that is the best idea I've heard!

DraftBoy
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm just sayin' that some people have to stop posting like it's a fact that he is not going to produce here. Nobody knows for sure...

I dont know whether Im going to hit tonight's lottery or not either but the odds are stacked against me.

If you think he's going to suceed, more power to you, but dont try and dismiss my more negative view on it with the same old lame "well you don't really know..." line. Because while you're right I dont know for sure, at least Im presenting evidence to support my statement, unlike those that think he'll return to form.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I dont know whether Im going to hit tonight's lottery or not either but the odds are stacked against me.

If you think he's going to suceed, more power to you, but dont try and dismiss my more negative view on it with the same old lame "well you don't really know..." line. Because while you're right I dont know for sure, at least Im presenting evidence to support my statement, unlike those that think he'll return to form.

I'm not sure either way, but I know that your evidence is VERY flawed. For one, he was hurt the better part of the past two years...who knows how he plays when he is healthy because nobody has seen it. Also, this year he's been injured and not happy with the Charger organization, which love it or hate it, these primma donnas are temperamental and stupid.

There are way too many variables to believe he'll just suck again. I hope he doesn't, but I'll have to see.

mayotm
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM

If you think he's going to suceed, more power to you, but dont try and dismiss my more negative view on it with the same old lame "well you don't really know..." line. Because while you're right I dont know for sure, at least Im presenting evidence to support my statement, unlike those that think he'll return to form.Where are all these posts stating that Merriman will return to form? I see a lot of "if Merriman returns to form", but haven't seen many stating he will return to form. Most people are simply stating that Merriman was a low risk move with some potential to be high reward. Nothing more, nothing less.

better days
11-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Well, you can't hit the lottery unless you buy a ticket.

Ickybaluky
11-06-2010, 02:12 PM

To be fair, the times the Bills have blitzed they have been burned by it. No DC is going to dial up blitzes more often when it isn't working. If they blitz more effectively, I am sure they will bring pressure with extra players more often.

As to the thread, it is an odd comment by Glazer. The Bills are the perfect team to take a chance on Merriman. They need players, so this is the kind of gamble that makes sense.

People do need to adjust their expectations on Merriman. He hasn't been the same guy he was and he hasn't had the same explosion. Whether it is the PEDs or whatever, he has to prove he can stay healthy before he has hope of regaining his old form. I know he is only 26, but watching him play he seems older than that. He doesn't have the same explosion and is breaking down. If he reverses that trend the Bills will benefit, but you can't deny the trend.

If he works out, great. If not, no real downside.

Lexwhat
11-06-2010, 02:52 PM

As a first step, a change of scenery was necessary for Merriman. Just ask Jonathan Vilma what a new team can do for you.

IMO, the whole "return to form" argument is misguided and meaningless anyway. I don't expect him to ever return to his Pro-Bowl form -- and that's not necessarily a bad thing. He can easily became a legitimate starter at the OLB position.

I'm sure you've noticed -- we do need 2 OLBs. If we end up re-signing Merriman this offseason, that's one less position we have to fill through the Draft.

Ickybaluky
11-06-2010, 05:16 PM
IMO, the whole "return to form" argument is misguided and meaningless anyway. I don't expect him to ever return to his Pro-Bowl form -- and that's not necessarily a bad thing. He can easily became a legitimate starter at the OLB position.

This is a good point. The fact is, Merriman needs to stay healthy. If he stays healthy then the playing will take care of itself. The guy has been nagged by injuries for a while, even when he has played, and that more than anything is the problem. If he stays on the field, it should be a good move for the Bills.

If he is really breaking down, whether due to PED use or something else, then he isn't getting better. If he returns to health, he will still be a big, strong, fast guy. Nobody doubts his passion for the game, either. It is a question of if he can get away from the nagging injuries. He is far enough away from the knee.