PDA

View Full Version : Economics make Gannon expendable

Gunzlingr
06-17-2003, 08:25 AM
Rich Gannon might be in his last season as Raiders quarterback, because of the contract he signed last year.

Football contracts are routinely misrepresented by the media because they are not guaranteed contracts. A "seven-year deal for $70 million" means nothing if it's terminated by the team after the second year.

The key to these contracts is the signing bonus. Players like this because it's guaranteed money. Clubs like it because they can spread the bonus over the length of the contract for salary-cap purposes. If it's a substantial bonus, it also gives the players leverage because, if the player is released, all the remaining bonus counts against the team's cap number for that year.

more (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/06/17/SP135799.DTL)

Ebenezer
06-17-2003, 08:29 AM
This is not news...we have been saying for 2 years that the Raiders will soon be gutted.

WG
06-17-2003, 11:23 AM
They're already on geriatric life support.

They won't do as well this year as they did last. S.D., K.C. will both be better, Denver about the same I would imagine. I think Plummer is gonna stink the joint up.

The Raiders had an extremely easy schedule last season. They don't have the luxury this season.

9-7 for the Raiders I'll say.

Ebenezer
06-17-2003, 11:28 AM
If they fail to change their audible and cadence systems from last year (like they did in the super bowl) they won't win 8.