PDA

View Full Version : Merrimans loyalty to Buddy Nix?

Ginger Vitis
11-04-2010, 08:55 AM
At the end of the season is Merriman going to resign with the Bills because Buddy Nix was in San Diego when Merriman was drafted there in 2005? I think this angle is being overstated by some Bills fans I see it as a small factor if not hardly at all..Merriman is going to whoever shows him the green

mayotm
11-04-2010, 09:00 AM
At the end of the season is Merriman going to resign with the Bills because Buddy Nix was in San Diego when Merriman was drafted there in 2005? I think this angle is being overstated by some Bills fans I see it as a small factor if not hardly at all..Merriman is going to whoever shows him the greenBest case scenario is that Merriman plays well, likes his teamates, likes that coaches and the Bills imporve over the rest of the season. He then may be willing to sign with the Bills if he's offered a good contract.

BertSquirtgum
11-04-2010, 09:00 AM
no one is going to show him the green, he is a shell of his former self but if he shows signs of being able to play at that level again......i think his best chance at getting fair money is going to be in buffalo.

ddaryl
11-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I hope he plays well and then shows Buffalo some love. That would be a nice way to start the future

mrbojanglezs
11-04-2010, 10:15 AM
if anyone overpays medicore players its buffalo, so he has a shot at a good contract here

DrGraves
11-04-2010, 10:17 AM
tim grahm said a source he "wasn't thrilled" about coming to buffalo...

he is a high profile celebrity guy, he won't stick around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/AFCEast/post/_/id/21111/shawne-merriman-worth-a-shot-for-buffalo

RockStar36
11-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't see him resigning here because of the above article from Graham, but hey, you never know. If he sees the team going in the right direction and learns to like the atmosphere, maybe he changes his mind. I'm not hopeful though.

psubills62
11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Who was saying that his connection to Nix will make him want to sign an extension?

dasaybz
11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't see him resigning here because of the above article from Graham, but hey, you never know. If he sees the team going in the right direction and learns to like the atmosphere, maybe he changes his mind. I'm not hopeful though.
Why would he be thrilled with going to an 0-7 football team that isn't going anywhere? I guarantee you that if the Bills were 7-0 and he was coming here, he would be pumped.

RockStar36
11-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Why would he be thrilled with going to an 0-7 football team that isn't going anywhere? I guarantee you that if the Bills were 7-0 and he was coming here, he would be pumped.

Seeing that he hasn't played much in recent years and has really dropped off, I would assume he doesn't have much leverage in the situation. For him, this is a 9 game showcase to show the rest of the league that he still has it. He should be happy that someone wanted him and is giving him a chance to play.

Billz_fan
11-04-2010, 10:38 AM
He is here for a few game audition. According to NFL network he was not overjoyed but he was coming here because he loves to play football. ALso they said he definately would not be ready this week. His plan (IMO) is to come up here and play his butt off best he can and bolt for greener pastures. While I like having him in Buffalo in the end I don't think this move makes sense. Not unless they already know he is going to stay. Then it would make sense. If he leaves after the season this was a dumb move to rent him for a few games.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.

justasportsfan
11-04-2010, 10:44 AM
. While I like having him in Buffalo in the end I don't think this move makes sense.

It makes very good sense. We have nothing to lose but a lot to gain if things go our way. Teams take risks on rookies who haven't proven anything so why not take a risk on a former probowler who's only 26?

trapezeus
11-04-2010, 10:47 AM
bills still get a compensatory pick even merriman leaves next year, no?

So if he somehow had a studly year in his 8 games with the bills, the bills could get a nice pick if they couldn't sign him, right? and all that for $1.7MM.

We let edwards go for that price, so it's already been budgeted and we get a pick out of it. not bad.

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

So if he somehow had a studly year in his 8 games with the bills, the bills could get a nice pick if they couldn't sign him, right? and all that for $1.7MM.

We let edwards go for that price, so it's already been budgeted and we get a pick out of it. not bad.

what kindof pick would we get for him? Does it matter that he hasnt played this year much, or does it just matter what kinda contract he gets from someone else at the end of the year?

justasportsfan
11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

thats what the article says. If we don't take Merriman, we get nothing . If we do we could get a pick. PLus the best reason why it makes sense is because it made us get rid of Cornell Green.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-04-2010, 10:53 AM
tim grahm said a source he "wasn't thrilled" about coming to buffalo...

he is a high profile celebrity guy, he won't stick around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/AFCEast/post/_/id/21111/shawne-merriman-worth-a-shot-for-buffalo

That's what they all say but if he plays well, the d plays well and the team wins some games he will be singing a different tune. He's going to love us fans.

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
That's what they all say but if he plays well, the d plays well and the team wins some games he will be singing a different tune. He's going to love us fans.

he might love us fans but hes not gonna love Buffalo. He is a dude who formerly "dated" (and beat on) Tila Tequila...the guy is never gonna stay around.

justasportsfan
11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
He is a dude who formerly "dated" Tila Tequila....

that might work to our favor. Nix just needs to bring him to the canadian ballet.

better days
11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
what kindof pick would we get for him? Does it matter that he hasnt played this year much, or does it just matter what kinda contract he gets from someone else at the end of the year?

I think the comp pick depends on the contract, but who gives a great contract to a guy that hasn't played well?

Pinkerton Security
11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I think the comp pick depends on the contract, but who gives a great contract to a guy that hasn't played well?

yeah thats my point...we have even more reason to root for him to do well, other than just bc he'll be in a Bills uni.

trapezeus
11-04-2010, 01:21 PM
here is a reality check of Merriman. he held out, and he wasn't moved through trade. so not a lot of teams think highly enough of him to go out and get him. and for good reason...he's had some injuries, some high profile offfield transgressions, and poor performance.

We actually picked him up and giving him a shot to prove himself. if he does, a little loyalty would be appreciated. not in the form of taking an discount in contract, but entertaining our offer and seeing that we're putting it together.

better days
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
here is a reality check of Merriman. he held out, and he wasn't moved through trade. so not a lot of teams think highly enough of him to go out and get him. and for good reason...he's had some injuries, some high profile offfield transgressions, and poor performance.

We actually picked him up and giving him a shot to prove himself. if he does, a little loyalty would be appreciated. not in the form of taking an discount in contract, but entertaining our offer and seeing that we're putting it together.

Well to be fair to him, two other teams did put in a claim on him & we all know it hard to make a fair trade with A.J. Smith.

I would not be surprised if Merriman falls in love with the Bills if he really does love football. There are only a very few Cities that can match Buffalo for football atmosphere.

jimbohastle51
11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
best scenario is he is franchised and we get him for a season and a half which is the most likely. the guys isnt leaving buffalo after this season unless we get a 2nd-3rd round pick out of him... otherwise this move was not worth anything.

thesquirrelking
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
best scenario is he is franchised and we get him for a season and a half which is the most likely. the guys isnt leaving buffalo after this season unless we get a 2nd-3rd round pick out of him... otherwise this move was not worth anything.

The only way he's franchised is if he somehow returns to pro bowl form. I don't see Ralph & Co. paying top dollar for a mediocre LB.

Oh, wait...

Bill Cody
11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Chris Kelsay told Merriman he should expect a generous extension

Buddo
11-05-2010, 07:34 AM

Who knows what will happen.
The best scenario, is that he returns to pro-bowl form, re-signs long term, and helps the team go forward.
As to 'worth', I think it might be better viewed in terms of what's it going to cost. The answer to that is very much, 'not so much'.
This is an exceedingly 'low risk, high reward' move.
As to the Nix/Merriman 'previous', it certainly isn't going to hurt, there being a decent history between them, but I doubt that it will make that much of a difference when it comes to deciding about money and location.