PDA

View Full Version : Merriman brings us no LUCK!

Thundering Buffalo
11-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Chan I totally respect the fact that the team is playing its heart out for you, unfortunately I think its going to bite us in the a$$. If Merriman goes nuts with the motivation of a big payday and the rest of the defense follows, we will win 3-4 games and we will be ***** out of LUCK. We have to be real bad before we can rebuild and become real good. Gailey has made me a billiever, all I want is for him to get enough talent to tear it up.

BertSquirtgum
11-04-2010, 11:34 PM
not necessarily

G Wolly
11-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I see what you did there.

But this thread is stupid.

Bangarang
11-04-2010, 11:45 PM
And if Luck decides to not come out of college with the uncertainty of the new CBA, this thread becomes pointless. Same goes for if Merriman came here and didn't produce at all.

Extremebillsfan247
11-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Chan I totally respect the fact that the team is playing its heart out for you, unfortunately I think its going to bite us in the a$$. If Merriman goes nuts with the motivation of a big payday and the rest of the defense follows, we will win 3-4 games and we will be ***** out of LUCK. We have to be real bad before we can rebuild and become real good. Gailey has made me a billiever, all I want is for him to get enough talent to tear it up.If that turns out to be the case, say hello to Cameron Newton (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232016) our potential next QB. lol Rumor has it the Bills have been scouting him.

jamze132
11-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Just because we have Merriman does not mean we still won't get the #1 pick. And who really gives a crap about the #1 pick? It's not exactly something to be proud of.

Billz_fan
11-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Fans that desire to lose games in order to get a better draft selection are ............. ugh, Let me just say it goes against everything I have ever believed in sport itself and not just football. Perhaps you really don't mean it. Thats about the best I could hope for.

If I thought anyone. Anyone at all in the Bills organization had thoughts of losing games on purpose to get a better draft selection or for any reason. I would immediately disassociate myself from the entire organization and it would probably take some time before I could decide to find another NFL team to follow.

Now I realize we are just fans at this level. I joke about how bad the team is and ***** about them as much as anyone. But not for one moment do I think they are planning to lose or tanking on purpose. I would never root for them to do so either. Never, ever. Every Sunday I want them to win. Screw the draft. I hope they win all the rest of there games this season. I don't think they will but if there is a player or coach on the team that thinks it's ok to lose they need to be gone. Again, I don't think there is. Im sure this is just the desire of a portion of the teams (fans) ?? Not sure if fan is the proper term for someone who wants to lose. Or maybe thats just what happens to fans when the team does lose all the time. It's unfortunate either way.

Extremebillsfan247
11-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Just because we have Merriman does not mean we still won't get the #1 pick. And who really gives a crap about the #1 pick? It's not exactly something to be proud of. Right, the reason you have the #1 pick in the first place is because you have a horrible football team.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 03:19 AM
So you really think signing Merriman is going to win us about half of our remaining games?

There's wishful thinking and then there's the above.

thebuffalobills4
11-05-2010, 03:35 AM
I see what you did there.

But this thread is stupid.
Agreed

Luisito23
11-05-2010, 03:42 AM

And then there's idiots...

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-05-2010, 04:22 AM
So you really think signing Merriman is going to win us about half of our remaining games?

Yeah, I am not sure why a lot of people think this guy is going to turn the defense around. I can't conceivably see how he even plays the rest of the season without getting hurt.

SaviorEdwards
11-05-2010, 04:52 AM
LOL we could win vs. the Lions and Browns, but don't worry the #1 overall pick is pretty much locked up.

zone
11-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I am not sure why a lot of people think this guy is going to turn the defense around. I can't conceivably see how he even plays the rest of the season without getting hurt.
The defense made some decent strides last week and pass rush can turn any defense around.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Andrew Luck is going to set this franchise back God knows how many years. Do not buy the hype.

I say take the guy (Merriman, that is). The whole point of tanking a season is to get as high as you can in the draft so that you're in better position to improve your team. That should NEVER-- and I mean NEVER-- preclude continuing to make moves to improve the team prior to the end of the season. This team has a huge hole at outside linebacker. Maybin is a bust. Kelsay is a walking disaster. This team has virtually zero pash rush. This team needs improvement-- take whatever you can get. You're not going to get a starting OLB of Merriman's caliber in the second or third round of the draft, at least right away. Get a head start, and start filling the holes you can off the waiver wire.

ddaryl
11-05-2010, 08:27 AM
the lack of confidence here is pretty funny.

I have full confidence we can still lose out with Merriman

SabreEleven
11-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Unless Merriman starts another cycle really soon, I don't think he'll make much of a difference.

THATHURMANATOR
11-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Andrew Luck is going to set this franchise back God knows how many years. Do not buy the hype.

My God now Luck will ruin the Bills. Are there any good players out there or do all of them suck???

SABURZFAN
11-05-2010, 10:49 AM
with the Bills luck (no pun intended), if they finish with the worst record in football, Luck would probably stay in college to prevent going to Buffalo.

Philagape
11-05-2010, 10:54 AM
No player who has never played a down in the NFL is worth losing for. None.
There have been too many busts to put that kind of desperate faith in the draft.
Every single week when I watch a game, I want to win. It's the only reason to watch.

patmoran2006
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
No player who has never played a down in the NFL is worth losing for. None.
There have been too many busts to put that kind of desperate faith in the draft.
Every single week when I watch a game, I want to win. It's the only reason to watch.

I couldn't agree with you more.. And the way you change a losing culture is to win, these guys have to learn what it feels like to get some wins.

The teams that win consistently (Patriots, Colts, Ravens) barely EVER pick near the top of the draft.

Mr. Miyagi
11-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Let's be realistic and look at our remaining schedule:

vs Chicago - L
vs Detroit - maybe W
@ Cincy - L
vs Pitts - L
@ Min - maybe W but doubt it
vs Cleveland - W
@ Miami - L
vs NE - L
@ Jets - L

With or without Merriman or Superman himself we'll be lucky to get 3 wins. SF, CAR, Dallas, and Minny will likely get as many or more than that. Even then only SF and Minny might take a QB anyway. So we're still in good shape to take one of the top QBs.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I couldn't agree with you more.. And the way you change a losing culture is to win, these guys have to learn what it feels like to get some wins.

The teams that win consistently (Patriots, Colts, Ravens) barely EVER pick near the top of the draft.

The Colts are where they are because they lost and received the #1 pick to take a certain QB out of Tennessee.

Mr. Miyagi
11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
The Colts are where they are because they lost and received the #1 pick to take a certain QB out of Tennessee.
Who??

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Who??

I forgot his name, but if I can remember correctly, he's pretty good.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM

The Patriots weren't a laughingstock team and are where they are now because they used a 6th round pick to take a certain QB out of Michigan.

The Browns were an expansion team who are still a laughingstock received the #1 pick to take a certain QB out of Kentucky.

The point is it doesn't matter where you draft as long as you can scout and then select the right players.

patmoran2006
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Agreed.. They are the rare exception.

Also, wins are important for FA agent reasons.. You want a guy like Merriman to consider staying? Show you can turn the corner.

If not him, just quality FA's in general. When you win, your leverage goes up. .AS it stands now, NO FA will come to Buffalo unless A) We serverely overpay for them or B) They have no other options.

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Agreed.. They are the rare exception.

Also, wins are important for FA agent reasons.. You want a guy like Merriman to consider staying? Show you can turn the corner.

If not him, just quality FA's in general. When you win, your leverage goes up. .AS it stands now, NO FA will come to Buffalo unless A) We serverely overpay for them or B) They have no other options.

The Giants/Chargers picked high and were able to get great QB. The only time it doesn't matter where you pick is when there is not a sure fire franchise QB in the draft. I believe everybody thinks that Luck is that QB. If he does come out and the Bills lose out for him because they won 3 games...I'd be pissed, but games are played to be won. It wouldn't make me happy, but you've got to deal with it.

patmoran2006
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
The Giants/Chargers picked high and were able to get great QB. The only time it doesn't matter where you pick is when there is not a sure fire franchise QB in the draft. I believe everybody thinks that Luck is that QB. If he does come out and the Bills lose out for him because they won 3 games...I'd be pissed, but games are played to be won. It wouldn't make me happy, but you've got to deal with it.

fair enough.. Im far from convinced Luck is coming out though. I dont think we have to worry about them getting past 3 wins anyway.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Except in the Manning/Leaf example...there were writers and gurus who thought Leaf had the higher upside.

Look at Aaron Rodgers and his freefall in the draft, he turned out pretty well.

Every draft has some QB who gets talked up as the next big thing...Tim Couch, Matt Leinart, David Carr, Alex Smith as examples...This is not a recent phenomenon either, look at Vinny Testaverde back in 87 for the Bucs.

ServoBillieves
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Speaking of 1st round draft picks... we finally have one in 2005 <_<

ServoBillieves
11-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Who??

Casey Clausen.

mrbojanglezs
11-05-2010, 01:29 PM
carolina is gonna pick luck anyway, we won't have the number 1 pick we'll win 3 games

Mr. Miyagi
11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Every draft has some QB who gets talked up as the next big thing...Tim Couch, Matt Leinart, David Carr, Alex Smith as examples...This is not a recent phenomenon either, look at Vinny Testaverde back in 87 for the Bucs.
Please refresh my memory, who the **** was talking up Couch and Leinart and Carr and Smith as the next big thing?? I don't recall anyone did.

G Wolly
11-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I forgot his name, but if I can remember correctly, he's pretty good.

It can't be Jim Sorgi.

Curtis Painter? :idunno:

better days
11-05-2010, 02:14 PM
The Patriots weren't a laughingstock team and are where they are now because they used a 6th round pick to take a certain QB out of Michigan.

The Browns were an expansion team who are still a laughingstock received the #1 pick to take a certain QB out of Kentucky.

The point is it doesn't matter where you draft as long as you can scout and then select the right players.

I heard someone on with John Clayton the other day talking about the Chargers. He said the Chargers last 2 drafts were terrible.

Now what change was made by the Chargers 2 years ago?

Oh Yeah, Buddy Nix left & came to Buffalo.

Billz_fan
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Bah, The colts are where they are because they have one of the best GM's in the Biz period.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Please refresh my memory, who the **** was talking up Couch and Leinart and Carr and Smith as the next big thing?? I don't recall anyone did.

Couch is one of, if not the, most accurate passers in NCAA history. He had tons of hype.

You don't get to be the top pick of the draft without hype and without being talked up by everyone.

Hell the entire 1999 QB class was talked up as being equal to or better than the 83 class going into that draft.

Billz_fan
11-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Couch is one of, if not the, most accurate passers in NCAA history. He had tons of hype.

You don't get to be the top pick of the draft without hype and without being talked up by everyone.

Hell the entire 1999 QB class was talked up as being equal to or better than the 83 class going into that draft.

I remember that also. Miyagi son must have been hitting the sake back then.

better days
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM

Over the years, I think a number of QB's that were drafted high never reached their potential because of poor coaching. That may have been the case in Buffalo in the recent past.

I think that is the reason Gailey was chosen to be HC, because Ralph & Buddy have faith that he can develop that draft pick to his full potential...........& I think so as well.

Billz_fan
11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Over the years, I think a number of QB's that were drafted high never reached their potential because of poor coaching. That may have been the case in Buffalo in the recent past.

I think that is the reason Gailey was chosen to be HC, because Ralph & Buddy have faith that he can develop that draft pick to his full potential...........& I think so as well.

That and no one else would take the job :laughter:

better days
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
That and no one else would take the job :laughter:

Well, that too.

I think if Cowher did take the job Gailey would have been his OC.

bosshogg21
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Could you imagine where this franchise would be if we had gotten Phillip rivers or Ben roethlisburger fell to us. It'd be like bizarro world. Espn would like us, we'd have won a lot more games, had a face of the franchise, better free agents, no threat of moving, etc....I don't want to look back 5 yrs from now after we missed out on luck and the team is playing in oklahoma city or something.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM

So if Leaf is drafted by the Colts he's a great QB?

Some guys have it and some guys don't.

Although in the Carr and Couch examples, I'd be willing to give them a little bit of a pass on things since they were on expansion franchises that didn't have a lot around them.

Hell, Couch looked better than Manning did as a rookie.

better days
11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
So if Leaf is drafted by the Colts he's a great QB?

Some guys have it and some guys don't.

Although in the Carr and Couch examples, I'd be willing to give them a little bit of a pass on things since they were on expansion franchises that didn't have a lot around them.

Hell, Couch looked better than Manning did as a rookie.

Learn to read. I did not say EVERY or even MOST, I said a number of QB's drafted high never had the chance to develop.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Learn to read. I did not say EVERY or even MOST, I said a number of QB's drafted high never had the chance to develop.

Your post read as an excuse for why guys don't develop.

Guys don't develop because they flat out aren't able to play in the NFL.

Name me one QB who didn't develop because of this alleged lack of coaching.

better days
11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Your post read as an excuse for why guys don't develop.

Guys don't develop because they flat out aren't able to play in the NFL.

Name me one QB who didn't develop because of this alleged lack of coaching.

That would be an impossible speculation.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
That would be an impossible speculation.

Then your original statement is impossible speculation and false.

I figured you'd have examples to back up your viewpoint.

better days
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Then your original statement is impossible speculation and false.

I figured you'd have examples to back up your viewpoint.

Again, LEARN TO READ. I said I THINK, I believe that would imply it was speculation, but not impossibe or false as you stated.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Again, LEARN TO READ. I said I THINK, I believe that would imply it was speculation, but not impossibe or false as you stated.

Then name an example.

jamze132
11-05-2010, 04:07 PM
The defense made some decent strides last week and pass rush can turn any defense around.
You mind explaining what strides they made? They allowed almost 300 yards on the ground and it would have been even worse if the Chiefs didn't have a moron calling the plays. KC shouldn't have passed it more than 10-12 times.

better days
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Then name an example.

Well any example I name would just be speculation, but an example would be Steve Young. When in Tampa he did not look like a future HOF QB.

Traded to the 49ers & with Walsh as his HC he did become a HOF player. I can easily speculate that never would have happened if he remained in Tampa.

Trent Edwards still has fans on this board & I would bet you they would speculate that Edwards would have reached his full potential with better coaching.

Buffalo Thriller
11-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Dumb post

BertSquirtgum
11-05-2010, 04:47 PM

i would like an explanation as to what brings you to this conclusion.

dplus47
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM

I remember this. I have a lot of friends from Cleveland, and I remember telling them again and again that McNabb was the no-brainer pick because he already looked good in orange. Nobody listened...

My theory of "college colors" may be insane, but look at Drew Brees in those Boilermaker colors down in N.O.

As for this thread, if Merriman provides enough pass rush to win the Bills some games, they need to focus on locking him up long term and the fans need to focus on how good a thing that would be for the team. He has had some injury troubles, but if he can return to form, Merriman is a guy that other teams have to game plan for, and that's always good for your franchise.

Extremebillsfan247
11-05-2010, 05:09 PM
What I've learned in my time watching football, and it goes back some years, is that to never set hopes on just one guy to be there when you draft. Your almost bound to be disappointed every time. There is still some time left in this season and no one really knows how it will turn out.

2 things are certain though, 1 is that we will have one of the top picks in the draft. Not picking number 1 overall isn't the end of the world. You can still get your guy at 2, 3, or even 4. 2 the QB talent in next years draft is said to be potentially one of the best in many years.

Whether Merriman comes in and contributes to a win or 2 shouldn't matter. The outcome will still remain the same. We will have one of the top picks in next years draft. Even if he returned to form, it doesn't sure up the rest of the problems this team is still facing which caused us to be 0-7 to begin with. Will Merriman help? he could, but I think its too little too late for a mass turn around this year. JMO

Johnny Bugmenot
11-05-2010, 09:14 PM
i would like an explanation as to what brings you to this conclusion.
Not a single drop of concern over his broken finger last year on his throwing hand. Injury risk, potential effect on his ability to throw? Nothing. That indicates blind hype to me.

That, and he's still very young. We're talking Alex Smith, Aaron Maybin young. And we know how they turned out.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-06-2010, 10:04 AM

They did? When? When they gave up 277 rushing yards against the Chiefs, is that when they "made some strides"?

SABURZFAN
11-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Well any example I name would just be speculation, but an example would be Steve Young. When in Tampa he did not look like a future HOF QB.

Traded to the 49ers & with Walsh as his HC he did become a HOF player. I can easily speculate that never would have happened if he remained in Tampa.

Trent Edwards still has fans on this board & I would bet you they would speculate that Edwards would have reached his full potential with better coaching.

still hating on Edwards, eh yordad? :clap:

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 04:15 AM

Edwards would have reached his potential had Adrian Wilson not knocked him the F out, imo.

Once that happened Trent turned into a coward who was unwilling to hold the ball long enough for deeper patterns to develop in fear of taking another shot like that.

That to me is not a coaching issue, it's a mental issue. A mental issue he needs to get over very quickly or he'll find himself out of football.

Thundering Buffalo
11-07-2010, 07:53 AM
This makes my point he will come in do enough damage to "F" up our draft positioning and leave town:

Shawne Merriman "definitely won't be re-signing in Buffalo"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 7, 2010 8:34 AM ET
We give linebacker Shawne Merriman (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3171) credit for showing up right away to the Bills after being claimed off waivers and saying all the right things at his introductory press conference (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/06/shawne-merriman-says-hes-healthy-vows-to-earn-bills-respect/).

Behind the scenes, Merriman was reportedly less excited about his new team.

John Czarnecki of FoxSports.com reports Merriman wasn't happy about being claimed (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-czar-week-9-countdown) by the Bills and "definitely won't be re-signing" in Buffalo.

Merriman is at a stage of his career where he just needs to stay healthy and play well for an extended stretch of games. It's been a while. Unless that happens, he won't be in a position to dictate much about his contract and next team