PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of half of Bills games in Toronto has been raised

Coach Sal
11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Half of Bills Home Games in Toronto?

Steve Cichon Reporting
scichon@entercom.com

TORONTO (AP) - Despite difficulties selling Toronto fans on the Buffalo Bills, a senior Rogers Communications executive tells The Associated Press his company is committed to extending the team's five-year series in the city beyond 2012.

Saying Rogers is in it for "the long haul," company vice chairman Phil Lind says the possibility has also been raised of expanding the Bills presence by splitting as many as half their games between Buffalo and Toronto.

Lind spearheaded the five-year "Bills In Toronto" series, established in 2008. Rogers paid the Bills $78 million to host eight games - including five annual regular-season games - in Canada's largest city.

Lind spoke Friday, two days before Buffalo (0-7) plays Chicago (4-3) in Toronto.

http://www.wben.com/Canada-s-Rogers-Committed-to-Bills--NFL-in-Toronto/8515039

Michael82
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Tell Paul Lind to go **** himself! :mad:

Ebenezer
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
One? Fine.
Two? Swallow that one hard.
Four? Screw it. They might as well move.

Cntrygal
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I absolutely, without a doubt... HATE that idea. I hate that ANY of the games are played outside the U.S.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
http://www.wben.com/Canada-s-Rogers-Committed-to-Bills--NFL-in-Toronto/8515039
NO!!! to 4 games in Toronto.:refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse: :refuse:

WeAreArthurMoates
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Remember folks, Green Bay did the same thing for almost a decade playing in Milwalkiee.

mrbojanglezs
well the season is gonna go to 18 games with 9 home games

I would MAX, if it meant keeping the team here, MAX give them 3 games a year with 18 game season. 6 games at home is good if it meant staying here or not and having more income and being more competitive

Ebenezer
I absolutely, without a doubt... HATE that idea. I hate that ANY of the games are played outside the U.S.

I don't care if the NFL wants to showcase a game a year out of the US. All of the leagues are doing that now. At 4 games they wouldn't be the Buffalo Bills.

Ebenezer
Remember folks, Green Bay did the same thing for almost a decade playing in Milwalkiee.

not 4 games. I think the most was 2.

T-Long
This is very sad if it indeed happens. Hell, they might as well move there permanently if they are going to do that. Sad...

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Three out of eight were played in Milwaukee.:anvil:

k-oneputt
11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
That happens and I'm done with this team.

RockStar36
11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I hate it. Like said above, once 4 are moved, move the whole team. That's embarrassing.

G Wolly
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm not so sure even the Torontoites want to suffer as much as we do.

Either we suffer EVERY game, or NO game.

Oldbillsfan
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
What about the taxpayers funding the unused Ralph Wilson Stadium? The loss of jobs and revenue when the team is gone? I agree, just move them to Toronto

Commissioner
11-05-2010, 02:10 PM
If they do that... i'm done with this team. Might as well change the name to the Toronto Douchebags.

generalmills
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Phil Lind of the Rogers "spin machine" is the one who said this... Please do not get carried away with this being even a remote possibility. These are the same people that are spinning ticket sales for these games as "successful"

better days
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
With an 18 game season, I think 3 games, with one being a preseason would be OK if it keeps the team in Buffalo.

BillsWin
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
If this happens, I wipe my hands of this franchise. That is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

Beebe's Kid
11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Guys, and girls, it is abso-****ing-lutely not "acceptable."

**** Torornto.

I agree that Lind is not the guy that concerns me the most saying this, but for fans to act beaten, and like this is the only thing that keeps this team here, is disgraceful.

Hold your ****ing head up and fight for something you believe in...or Billieve in, in this particular instance.

This is losing mentality. Period. We piss and moan they are going to take the team, and we let them move two games a year, as it is. If we were undefeated I would be ****ing furious about this weekend.

This deal has also been an epic failure for Rodgers. Ralph made the coin, but it didn't win any friends, so his level of victory is debatable.

Let this ****ing turd of a deal expire, raise the tickets at the Ralph, and let's get it on...we are rebuilding, after all, and will be looking for a Playoff game soon.

trapezeus
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
i think this is just press before the game to show potential ticketbuyers, "look, this isn't a gimick".

i think this guy is lucky that rogers died. Otherwise he would have been fired for losing $78MM on a totally dud event.

I think it should just remain 1 game per regular season.

First sell out the games and show us how vibrant the feeling is for this. Then tell us why you need more games.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Ralph is about the almighty dollar.

Say he lives til this deal expires and they offer up another 150MM to hold 1 more game per year for 4 years. Do you honestly think Ralph says no?

It's another game he doesn't have to worry about selling and money straight into his pocket with no expenses.

mayotm
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Ralph is about the almighty dollar.

Say he lives til this deal expires and they offer up another 150MM to hold 1 more game per year for 4 years. Do you honestly think Ralph says no?

It's another game he doesn't have to worry about selling and money straight into his pocket with no expenses.At least Ralph hasn't moved all his games to Baltimore like your other favorite team.

THATHURMANATOR
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM
One? Fine.
Two? Swallow that one hard.
Four? Screw it. They might as well move.
Yep anymore than 1 and I am done with this crap. Slap in the face to me after all the money and time and sorrow I have spent on these losers.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
At least Ralph hasn't moved all his games to Baltimore like your other favorite team.

Ralph is barely a step below Art Modell at this point.

Thankfully for Ralph he got into the HOF before reaching Arts' level.

Art seeing the hall will happen when hell freezes over.

Michael82
11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I expect the Bills to deny this rumor and say that there are no plans to send 4 games to Toronto. If the Bills don't vehemently deny it, I'm going to believe it's true and will be pissed! :mad:

RockStar36
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM

What is better in the long run? HOF or SB?

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
What is better in the long run? HOF or SB?

Long run...hmmmm

I'd have to say Hall of Fame.

There are bunch of guys who get SB rings for "just being there" being a HOFer means you were something special in this league over a period of time. Who would you rather be, Jim Kelly or Jeff Hostetler? Dan Marino or Doug Williams? Barry Sanders or Timmy Smith? Brent Jones or Ozzie Newsome?

In Art Modell terms he already had an NFL title before moving out and Belichick had already turned the team around.

Modell was just in huge financial trouble so he took the money from Baltimore and ran, then selling the team a few years later when the Baltimore money wasn't enough.

You also have to think of it in terms like this...Modell had a 30+ year relationship with the city, people loved him, looked up to him, he had friends, etc...he threw that all away for the almighty dollar.

That's why I don't think you'll see Ralph sell/move the franchise in his lifetime, he doesn't want to tarnish or ruin his 50 year relationship with this city.

k-oneputt
11-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Ralph being in the HOF is a joke anyways. For the vast majority of his 50 yrs his teams have sucked. And he is the reason why.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Ralph being in the HOF is a joke anyways. For the vast majority of his 50 yrs his teams have sucked. And he is the reason why.

The main reason he's in the HOF is he was a big part of the merger and a big part of keeping the AFL afloat.

Then the 90s run on top of that didn't hurt.

PromoTheRobot
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Nice to see Bills fans taking the GOP stance...No, hell no, and ***** no. That will be something to be proud of on those football-less Sundays after the Bills move to L.A. Then I bet 4 games at the Ralph won't seem like such a bad idea, but it will be too late.

Bills fans are like drunks that need intervention. The NFL is trying to do us a favor and keep the team in the area going forward, but thats not good enough for us. Give me my damn knife and mirror so I can cut my nose off. That'll show me!

PTR

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
The main reason he's in the HOF is he was a big part of the merger and a big part of keeping the AFL afloat.

Then the 90s run on top of that didn't hurt.
I miss the 90's run. Sigh.:birds:

TrEd FTW
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice to see Bills fans taking the GOP stance...No, hell no, and ***** no. That will be something to be proud of on those football-less Sundays after the Bills move to L.A. Then I bet 4 games at the Ralph won't seem like such a bad idea, but it will be too late.

Bills fans are like drunks that need intervention. The NFL is trying to do us a favor and keep the team in the area going forward, but thats not good enough for us. Give me my damn knife and mirror so I can cut my nose off. That'll show me!

PTR

Loser's mentality typified in your post.

jamze132
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Toronto > LA

Bills41
11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
No way!

BertSquirtgum
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
stop crying. this will never happen.

-Brandon-
11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I hate that ANY of the games are played outside the U.S.
:roflmao:

YardRat
11-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Won't happen....not half of the schedule. If they're dumb enough to fork over the money again, doubled, for a couple of games per season the Bills would be stupid not to take the deal.

Many rag on Ralph for being 'left behind' by the game, and the business part of it, but the fact is he's doing his best to literally keep up with the Joneses (and Snyders and Krafts) until the new CBA/revenue sharing gets hashed out. Pulling almost 80mil out of Toronto, with the potential to double that with another deal is pretty savvy.

PromoTheRobot
11-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Loser's mentality typified in your post.

As opposed to just telling yourself it'll never happen.

PTR

Nighthawk
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
It's not going to happen...

Extremebillsfan247
11-05-2010, 05:31 PM
This thing is a double edged sword. I know the Bills Organization sees this as a way to keep the Bills viable and in Buffalo by possibly generating a larger fan base to increase revenue. In the short term it really doesn't change much except for the veteran players adjusting to it.

However, in the long run it alienates the fan base that has been loyal to the team for so long. What happens when this team starts winning football games and gets in to the post season? are we going to see days where playoff games are played in Toronto too? I don't see that going over well with anyone who calls themselves a Bills fan.

In the long run, disenfranchising your fan base will spell doom for the franchise, and eventually when the team is forced to play its hand, it will find fewer fans caring if they leave or not. When money comes before the fan, it never ends well. JMO

better days
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Irsey, Modell, & Culverhouse are the three worst owners in the history of the NFL.

Northern Stampede
11-06-2010, 01:42 AM
It won't happen...

SaviorEdwards
11-06-2010, 05:20 AM
if that happens ill cancel my seasons and choose a new team.

Jeff1220
11-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Everybody has RW pegged as the mastermind of this whole Toronto series, and sure he has to approve and sign off on it. But, to me, this whole thing has always had the stink of a Russ Brandon brainchild.

ddaryl
11-06-2010, 07:23 AM
nuck fo

ChristopherWalken
11-06-2010, 07:37 AM
I hope that those of you who are close enough to attend the few Toronto games the Bills are playing now, are staying as far away from there as possible. The more people that go, the more support they believe they have to make this happen.

Boycott all Toronto games.

unpaid_bills
11-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Milwaukee is in the US, this is simply a bad idea and will further alienate fans that are already frustrated. Think of it this way, why are ALL of us Bills fans now? Our parents, grandparents, brother, etc. were Bills fans grew up in or near Buffalo. If they move (or play several games) outside of Buffalo why would the younger generation even give a damn? Heck i live in CA and my three boys only watch them cause of me. This would simply be a mistake

Cleve
11-06-2010, 07:56 AM
I thought the rumor was downplayed already by Rogers Media? In other words somebody blabbed too soon before the deal was sealed.

But even losing one more home game to Toronto - there's only 8 anyways - will be devastating to Buffalo. That would mean only six games at Rich Stadium per season.

If this does happen, what do you want to bet they don't lower season ticket prices either?

HHURRICANE
11-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Slowly moving the team out of Buffalo before anyone can save it. Ralph Wilson is now the enemy. No vision, no commitment.

Night Train
11-06-2010, 08:56 AM
The owners may balk at it. Their actual gate sucks up there and the Argo's draw better at cheaper prices.

That's a hockey town and football only goes where it dominates.

THATHURMANATOR
11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Milwaukee is in the US, this is simply a bad idea and will further alienate fans that are already frustrated. Think of it this way, why are ALL of us Bills fans now? Our parents, grandparents, brother, etc. were Bills fans grew up in or near Buffalo. If they move (or play several games) outside of Buffalo why would the younger generation even give a damn? Heck i live in CA and my three boys only watch them cause of me. This would simply be a mistake
This would be like if we played in Rochester, not another country.

If the bills move more than 1 game to TO, my tickets and fandome CANCELED.