PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate Starting QBs Aren't Found Past Early 2nd Round

Lexwhat
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Here is a list of (IMO) truly legitimate starting Quarterbacks in the NFL today, and where they were drafted. I'm referring to consistent players who can actually win you games, not caretakers. Feel free to argue.

Some are obviously borderline (or too young to judge), so I threw them in at the bottom on a different list. Anyone that lasted past pick # 36 is highlighted in Bold.

Peyton Manning -- 1st Round, Pick 1
Eli Manning -- 1st Round, Pick 1
Michael Vick -- 1st Round, Pick 1
Carson Palmer -- 1st Round, Pick 1
Donovan McNabb -- 1st Round, Pick 2
Matt Ryan -- 1st Round, Pick 3
Philip Rivers -- 1st Round, Pick 4
Ben Roethlisberger -- 1st Round, Pick 11
Joe Flacco -- 1st Round, Pick 18
Aaron Rodgers -- 1st Round, Pick 24
Drew Brees -- 2nd Round, Pick 32
Brett Favre -- 2nd Round, Pick 33
Matt Schaub -- 3rd Round, Pick 90
Kyle Orton -- 4th Round, Pick 106
Tom Brady -- 6th Round, Pick 199
Tony Romo -- Undrafted

Of the 4 bolded names, only Brady and Romo are playing for the same team that originally "drafted" them. Of the non-bolded list, only McNabb, Brees, Vick, and Favre are playing for a team that didn't draft them (Eli Manning is a special case).

Moral of this story? If we want a chance to have an *ELITE* QB in today's NFL, we should draft one very early. In contrast to other positions in the Draft, QBs don't usually slip through the cracks.

Does that mean all 1st / early 2nd Round QBs will be successful? No, of course not. However, developmental QBs (taken in Round 3 or later) will rarely net you an elite starting QB anyway (although drafting them is still a smart idea, for various reasons).

Others (too early to judge, too borderline, too old, or recently retired):
Sam Bradford -- 1st Round, Pick 1
Matt Stafford -- 1st Round, Pick 1
Vince Young -- 1st Round, Pick 3
Mark Sanchez -- 1st Round, Pick 5
Kerry Collins -- 1st Round, Pick 5
Jay Cutler -- 1st Round, Pick 11
Josh Freeman -- 1st Round, Pick 17
Jason Campbell -- 1st Round, Pick 25
Kevin Kolb -- 2nd Round, Pick 36
Chad Henne -- 2nd Round, Pick 57
Matt Hasselbeck -- 6th Round, Pick 184
Bruce Gradkowski -- 6th Round, Pick 194
Matt Cassel -- 7th Round, Pick 230
Kurt Warner -- Undrafted

Philagape
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Tony Romo -- Undrafted

Less than half of them in the top 10 eh?

So the moral of the story is, "very early" doesn't have to be the top 10

The King
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
great thread, great thought!

Stewie
11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Here is a list of (IMO) truly legitimate starting Quarterbacks in the NFL today, and where they were drafted. I'm referring to consistent players who can actually win you games, not caretakers. Feel free to argue.

Some are obviously borderline (or too young to judge), so I threw them in at the bottom on a different list. Anyone that lasted past pick # 36 is highlighted in Bold.

Tony Romo -- Undrafted

Of the 4 bolded names, only Brady and Romo are playing for the same team that originally "drafted" them. Of the non-bolded list, only McNabb, Brees, Vick, and Favre are playing for a team that didn't draft them (Eli Manning is a special case).

Moral of this story? If we want a chance to have an *ELITE* QB in today's NFL, we should draft one very early. In contrast to other positions in the Draft, QBs don't usually slip through the cracks.

Does that mean all 1st / early 2nd Round QBs will be successful? No, of course not. However, developmental QBs (taken in Round 3 or later) will rarely net you an elite starting QB anyway (although drafting them is still a smart idea, for various reasons).

Kurt Warner -- Undrafted

Not to be a buzzkill, but can you take this list and then the list of lower round qb's and adjust for playing time?

A first round draft pick is much more likely to get a chance to play than a sixth rounder. Would Tom Brady have ever seen the field if Mo Lewis didn't break Drew Bledsoe's rib?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Tony Romo -- Undrafted

Kurt Warner -- Undrafted
Good post. Luck or Mallett, welcome to Buffalo.:bigwave:

better days
11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I think Josh Freeman is too low on the 2nd list. I think he may be one of the best QB's in the NFL in another couple years.

TacklingDummy
11-05-2010, 02:51 PM

I remember looking it up, over half the starting QB's in the Super Bowl were drafted in the 1st round.

k-oneputt
11-05-2010, 02:56 PM
It's a no-brainer really. If the Bills have the 1st pick they have to go qb, unless you like losing for another ten years.

The guys that really crack me up are the "lets take a wr" guys. Are you ****** kidding me ?

Luisito23
11-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Well according to some draft gurus here, a high drafted QB doesn't mean anything...Just look at Tom Brady. :rolleyes:

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
It's a no-brainer really. If the Bills have the 1st pick they have to go qb, unless you like losing for another ten years.

The guys that really crack me up are the "lets take a wr" guys. Are you ****** kidding me ?
True dat.:schmoll:

k-oneputt
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Well according to some draft gurus here, a high drafted QB doesn't mean anything...Just look at Tom Brady. :rolleyes:

Must be the same one's who want to take a wr.

mayotm
11-05-2010, 03:03 PM

The guys that really crack me up are the "lets take a wr" guys. Are you ****** kidding me ?What if Luck doesn't come out? Are you convinced that Mallet or somebody else is worth the first pick? If not, how is it a no-brainer?

k-oneputt
11-05-2010, 03:21 PM
What if Luck doesn't come out? Are you convinced that Mallet or somebody else is worth the first pick? If not, how is it a no-brainer?

I will be happy with Luck, Mallett, or Locker.

It's a no-brainer because you can't win in this league w/o a qb, so if you are taking a chance on a player why not one of the 1st rd. qb's ?
There is no guarantee any pick will pan out. Who's to say the d-linemen or wr will pan out.
Wr's are meaningless w/o the qb anyways. Good qb's win with any wr's they have in there. You can always find wr's.
Notice how our wr's are suddenly pretty good now since we have an avg. qb playing now ?
If you are paying 1st pick money it's best to invest in the face of the franchice/qb. I don't see any Bruce Smith's or Lawrence Taylor's in this draft.

mayotm
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM

It's a no-brainer because you can't win in this league w/o a qb, so if you are taking a chance on a player why not one of the 1st rd. qb's ?
There is no guarantee any pick will pan out. Who's to say the d-linemen or wr will pan out.
Wr's are meaningless w/o the qb anyways. Good qb's win with any wr's they have in there. You can always find wr's.
Notice how our wr's are suddenly pretty good now since we have an avg. qb playing now ?
If you are paying 1st pick money it's best to invest in the face of the franchice/qb. I don't see any Bruce Smith's or Lawrence Taylor's in this draft.I think you may be disappointed. Outside of Luck, I don't see the Bills taking a QB early in round one. It's still early in the process. Mallet or Locker could still do some things in the post season that really improves their stock. However, at this point, most "experts" don't have either rated that high. The Bills have numerous needs. They simply can't afford to miss with whoever they pick. If there is a QB good enough to take early, I'm all for it. If not, address o-line, d-line or even LB.

Lexwhat
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Less than half of them in the top 10 eh?

So the moral of the story is, "very early" doesn't have to be the top 10

That is true, it doesn't necessarily have to be top 10. However, we are going to have a very early pick in the 1st Round, so that argument is moot as it pertains to the Bills this year. We could consider trading down, but teams wanting to trade up into the Top 5 is extremely rare.

My main point was: If we want an elite QB through the draft, we shouldn't wait until later rounds to grab one, as some here have suggested. Elite QBs are simply not found that late.

Lexwhat
11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I think Josh Freeman is too low on the 2nd list. I think he may be one of the best QB's in the NFL in another couple years.

Neither of the 2 lists are in order of skill. I simply arranged them based on where they were drafted overall.

Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman are likely to move up into the first list, as well as Matthew Stafford (IMO).

lightningbolt444
11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Well I for sure agree that you can find great talent at qb in the first round I also think your list lacks that for every three that are drafted that high two go on to bust. Is it worth the shot well I think if a guy deserving of the pick is there yes it is but I will not hop on board getting one with the first pick if he only grades out to a mid to late round pick just because we need a qb. We have so many needs that whatever we draft needs to be close to a sure thing obviously we cant control injures and other things. I also think if Fitz throws 25-30 td passes the team passes on qb and gives him a shot mext year he's not a superstar but his stats are in the top half of the league without playing two games.

Buddo
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Well I for sure agree that you can find great talent at qb in the first round I also think your list lacks that for every three that are drafted that high two go on to bust. Is it worth the shot well I think if a guy deserving of the pick is there yes it is but I will not hop on board getting one with the first pick if he only grades out to a mid to late round pick just because we need a qb. We have so many needs that whatever we draft needs to be close to a sure thing obviously we cant control injures and other things. I also think if Fitz throws 25-30 td passes the team passes on qb and gives him a shot mext year he's not a superstar but his stats are in the top half of the league without playing two games.

TBH, quite where someone is picked is less relevant in respect of QBs, With a very high pick likely, if we are going to take a QB, he simply has to be a 'franchise' guy. He could be 'graded' #8, and taken, by us with the #1 overall pick, but if he is a 'franchise' QB, then the grading becomes irrelevant. ATM, that is pretty much a similar situation with what happened with Bradford.
Get your 1st round QB pick right, i.e. a franchise QB for many years to come, and where he was supposed to be drafted doesn't matter.

YardRat
11-05-2010, 06:19 PM
When then we'll have two shots, at least, at snagging one.

TacklingDummy
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM

6th round QB's...

6 168 Marc Bulger QB West Virginia New Orleans Saints
6 183 Spergon Wynn QB Texas State Cleveland Browns
6 199 Tom Brady QB Michigan New England Patriots
6 202 Todd Husak QB Stanford Washington Redskins

6 172 Josh Booty QB Louisiana State Seattle Seahawks
6 177 Josh Heupel QB Oklahoma Miami Dolphins

6 186 J.T. O'Sullivan QB California-Davis New Orleans Saints

6 192 Drew Henson QB Michigan Houston Texans
6 200 Brooks Bollinger QB Wisconsin New York Jets
6 201 Kliff Kingsbury QB Texas Tech New England Patriots
6 185 Andy Hall QB Delaware Philadelphia Eagles
6 187 Josh Harris QB Bowling Green State Baltimore Ravens
6 193 Jim Sorgi QB Wisconsin Indianapolis Colts
6 201 Jeff Smoker QB Michigan State St. Louis Rams

6 213 Derek Anderson QB Oregon State Baltimore Ravens

6 194 Bruce Gradkowski QB Toledo Tampa Bay Buccaneers

6 205 Jordan Palmer QB Texas-El Paso Washington Redskins

6 186 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii Washington Redskins
6 198 Andre Woodson QB Kentucky New York Giants

6 174 Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State Denver Broncos
6 178 Mike Teel QB Rutgers Seattle Seahawks
6 196 Keith Null QB West Texas A&M St. Louis Rams
6 201 Curtis Painter QB Purdue Indianapolis Colts

For every Tom Brady there is 22 bums.

X-Era
11-05-2010, 06:25 PM

The guys that really crack me up are the "lets take a wr" guys. Are you ****** kidding me ?There is a significant difference between saying "lets take a WR" and saying "Well with no QB worthy of our pick, what now". At that point a WR, DE, or DT can make some sense.

X-Era
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM

If you are paying 1st pick money it's best to invest in the face of the franchice/qb. I don't see any Bruce Smith's or Lawrence Taylor's in this draft.And here's where we differ.

You dont take Mallett, Luck, or Locker with the #1, or #2 pick in the draft just because you need one. You take a player because he is worthy of the pick.

Do I think Luck is? Yes. Do I think Mallet is? Maybe and probably not. Do I think Locker is? Most likely not.

Reaching is how you make choices that affect you for years.

This is a rebuilding team that will need several more years of the draft and offseason to become good... There is no need to reach in any draft.

That said, I think Luck is worthy of the top pick now, and Mallett could earn the right to be drafted top 5 before all is said and done. I think Locker, however, has an uphill battle at this point.

Extremebillsfan247
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Lets not forget about one thing, although a lot of your starting caliber QBs are selected in the first round, not all of them are starter material. J.P. Losman was selected 22nd overall by Buffalo in the '04 draft. To put that in perspective, it's 2 draft selections higher than Aaron Rodgers. My point is that its not where you draft, but how you draft. It's the difference between a good scouting staff and a bad one. That is true for every single position including QB. It's something that you wont find in statistics. JMO

TacklingDummy
11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Lets not forget about one thing, although a lot of your starting caliber QBs are selected in the first round, not all of them are starter material. J.P. Losman was selected 22nd overall by Buffalo in the '04 draft.
Yes, but more 1st round QB's make it over 6th round QB's. In 0'4 3 other 1st round QB's made it, that's more than the past 10 years of 6th round QB's making it combined.

6th round QB's...

Lexwhat
11-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Well I for sure agree that you can find great talent at qb in the first round I also think your list lacks that for every three that are drafted that high two go on to bust.

I also think if Fitz throws 25-30 td passes the team passes on qb and gives him a shot mext year he's not a superstar but his stats are in the top half of the league without playing two games.

In the last 15 years, only 2 teams (Ravens, Bucs) have won the Superbowl without a superstar QB. The closest thing today's NFL has to either of those 2 Defenses is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Can Ryan Fitzpatrick win a Superbowl if he was QB of the Steelers? Maybe. Any other team in the league? Maybe the Jets... Certainly not the Bills though.

I don't mind if Fitzpatrick is our starter next season, but we need to have a plan in place to replace him no later than the 2012 season.

Lexwhat
11-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Not to be a buzzkill, but can you take this list and then the list of lower round qb's and adjust for playing time?

A first round draft pick is much more likely to get a chance to play than a sixth rounder. Would Tom Brady have ever seen the field if Mo Lewis didn't break Drew Bledsoe's rib?

Fair point -- there's always going to be a few unknowns that come out of nowhere and turn into superstars (Brady, Romo), but we'll never know.

However, plenty of QBs are taken Round 3 and later, and show absolutely nothing even when they get a chance to play. We forget them because their careers are so short-lived. Some make good back-ups though. Here's a list of some:

Dennis Dixon
Trent Edwards
Troy Smith
Tyler Thigpen
Brodie Croyle
Charlie Frye
Andrew Walter
Dan Orlovsky
Derek Anderson
Luke McCown
Josh McCown
Chris Simms
Seneca Wallace
Brooks Bollinger
David Garrard
JT O'Sullivan
Marques Tuiasosopo
Sage Rosenfels
AJ Feeley
Tim Rattay

YardRat
11-05-2010, 09:27 PM
"Just Don't Do Anything Stupid"

Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Terry Bradshaw
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Jeff Hostetler
Troy Aikman
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning

"One-Hit Wonders"

Joe Namath
Joe Theisman
Doug Williams
Mark Rypien

"Big-Game Chokers that got Lucky Once"

Len Dawson
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning

"Hot one year, Cold for three"

Ken Stabler
Kurt Warner
Jim Plunkett
Ben Roethlisberger

"Honest-to-God Stars"

Johnny Unitas
Roger Staubach
Joe Montana
John Elway
Tom Brady

Drew Brees? We'll see...

TacklingDummy
11-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't mind if Fitzpatrick is our starter next season, but we need to have a plan in place to replace him no later than the 2012 season.
Matt Barkley!!!!

WeAreArthurMoates
11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
And here's where we differ.

You dont take Mallett, Luck, or Locker with the #1, or #2 pick in the draft just because you need one. You take a player because he is worthy of the pick.

Do I think Luck is? Yes. Do I think Mallet is? Maybe and probably not. Do I think Locker is? Most likely not.

Reaching is how you make choices that affect you for years.

This is a rebuilding team that will need several more years of the draft and offseason to become good... There is no need to reach in any draft.

That said, I think Luck is worthy of the top pick now, and Mallett could earn the right to be drafted top 5 before all is said and done. I think Locker, however, has an uphill battle at this point.

I totally agree with you, Luck is the only one worth a top 5 pick. I kinda like Mallett but not there.

Philagape
11-05-2010, 10:29 PM
That is true, it doesn't necessarily have to be top 10. However, we are going to have a very early pick in the 1st Round, so that argument is moot as it pertains to the Bills this year. We could consider trading down, but teams wanting to trade up into the Top 5 is extremely rare.

My main point was: If we want an elite QB through the draft, we shouldn't wait until later rounds to grab one, as some here have suggested. Elite QBs are simply not found that late.

I was alluding more to people who don't want them to win because they're afraid it will cost them the top pick.

jamze132
11-06-2010, 01:09 AM
For every Peyton Manning, there's 10 Jamarcus Russell's.

The draft is an educated crap shoot.

G Wolly
11-06-2010, 01:33 AM
to sum up the idea of this thread...

Levi Brown is our franchise QB

Extremebillsfan247
11-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes, but more 1st round QB's make it over 6th round QB's. In 0'4 3 other 1st round QB's made it, that's more than the past 10 years of 6th round QB's making it combined.

6th round QB's...

Well that would be obvious considering the reason behind QBs being selected in the first round to begin with. What it really lends credence to though if you want to get technical is that you don't necessarily need the top pick in the draft to land your Franchise QB.