PDA

View Full Version : Decision to bench Flutie for Johnson wasn't a coaching decision

patmoran2006
11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
IN an interview with Eric Moulds that I'll have published on Monday afternoon, he told me point-blank that when Doug Flutie was benched in favor of Rob Johnson, that it wasn't a decision made by Wade Phillips but rather the top of the organization.

While that may not seem overly significant to you, it's more evidence of what a meddling owner Ralph Wilson has been (this was more than 10 years ago) and how much control this front office had and still has over actual personnel decisions that are SUPPOSED to be reserved for the head coach.

TacklingDummy
11-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Wasn't this already known that it wasn't Wade's call?

hydro
11-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Pretty sure it was always suspected but never confirmed.

patmoran2006
11-06-2010, 04:51 PM
maybe.. but at least in my case, I dont ever recall a coach or player confirming it.

Commissioner
11-06-2010, 04:53 PM
IN an interview with Eric Moulds that I'll have published on Monday afternoon, he told me point-blank that when Doug Flutie was benched in favor of Rob Johnson, that it wasn't a decision made by Wade Phillips but rather the top of the organization.

While that may not seem overly significant to you, it's more evidence of what a meddling owner Ralph Wilson has been (this was more than 10 years ago) and how much control this front office had and still has over actual personnel decisions that are SUPPOSED to be reserved for the head coach.

Look what happened a couple years ago when Troy Vincent was cut. It was Jim Overdorf !!

Hopefully Nix is a stronger GM and won't let that happen or he'll say I'm outta here.

PromoTheRobot
11-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Holy Cow, Pat! No one EVER knew that before now! I smell a Pulitzer.

PTR

TrEd FTW
11-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Pretty sure this was common knowledge. I knew about it, anyway.

patmoran2006
11-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Holy Cow, Pat! No one EVER knew that before now! I smell a Pulitzer.

PTR

lol.. ever the hater.

Maybe I'm wrong, but has a player or coach ever stated this as fact before? If so, I'd love to see a link to something.. Again, maybe I'm wrong.

northernbillfan
11-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Why would you even bring this up during a low point for fans? We do NOT need to rehash the pains of yesteryear.

MikeInRoch
11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I agree that while everyone assumed it, it was never confirmed outright by anyone. At least not that I ever saw.

nolimit
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I remember being all for that move...When Johnson left the field...he had the game won.

Thurmal
11-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I remember being all for that move...When Johnson left the field...he had the game won.

Yeah, it amazes me how many people forget that Johnson was clutch as hell and won that game. Flutie would've **** the bed, no doubt.

YardRat
11-06-2010, 07:04 PM
And Moulds knows this how?

Wade announced it to the team? That wouldn't be too bright. The 'top of the organization' pulled him aside from the rest of the team and put Eric in the loop? That wouldn't be too bright either. Flutie told him?

Goobylal
11-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I recall hearing someone who met Wade Phillips saying that the call came from Wilson. And judging by the way the last few games under Flutie went, the season ender, and RJ leaving the field with the lead, only to see the ST's blow the game, it was the right call.

Oldbillsfan
11-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I hated the move because I was never fond of scarf boy Johnson. He did almost win that game though. I think that Bills team could have beaten the Rams in the SB with that defense.

Luisito23
11-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I've always thought it was a good decision to bench Flutie for that game...I remember RJ playing with a lot of heart, it's just too bad we got robbed.

Oaf
11-06-2010, 08:19 PM
This is news to me, thanks Pat.

Extremebillsfan247
11-06-2010, 09:50 PM

While that may not seem overly significant to you, it's more evidence of what a meddling owner Ralph Wilson has been (this was more than 10 years ago) and how much control this front office had and still has over actual personnel decisions that are SUPPOSED to be reserved for the head coach. Ralph was doing that kind of thing long before Flutie and Johnson were Bills. Ralph and Al Davis both had reps for doing that sort of thing throughout both Owners careers as owners. Not surprising at all.

mikemac2001
11-06-2010, 09:52 PM
hey while were at it lets bring up jim not giving thurman the ball vs the giants

hindsight is 20/20 and rob didn't lose us the game

DynaPaul
11-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, Johnson actually WON that game. People forget but it was a fluke special teams play that snatched the defeat from the jaws of victory.

Still... Wilson making those kind of calls just goes to show that the rumors about him are true. Wilson doesn't know dick though. I still blame him for the blunder of firing Bill Polian. Now that's a guy who knows football.

Ginger Vitis
11-06-2010, 11:03 PM
At the time of the Music City miracle loss I rationalized it by thnking at the time they still would have had to gone on the road to beat Indy and Jacksonville which I thought was unlikely.. But the 2007 Giants won 3 Road playoff games and rode that defense to a championship maybe the 1999 Bills could have done the same had they beat the Titans.. Rob Johnson wasn't the main reason they lost that game but having said that..it annoys me that Wilson made that decision to bench Flutie.. I would love to know what other decisions Wilson forced his coaches to do that ended up with Wilson having egg over his face..

billsfanryan
11-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Pretty sure it was always suspected but never confirmed.

Marcellus Wiley has stated that it was Ralph, not Wade who made the decision on espn multiple times

TacklingDummy
11-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Yeah, it amazes me how many people forget that Johnson was clutch as hell and won that game. Flutie would've **** the bed, no doubt.
Clutch??? He did nothing except for one drive without a shoe.

TacklingDummy
11-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah, Johnson actually WON that game. People forget but it was a fluke special teams play that snatched the defeat from the jaws of victory.

People also forget that Johnson did nothing for 58 minutes of the game. He also gave the Tenn. a safety and set up the Tenn. for another easy 7 points. That's 9 points, what was the final score again?

Spiderweb
11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
At the time of the Music City miracle loss I rationalized it by thnking at the time they still would have had to gone on the road to beat Indy and Jacksonville which I thought was unlikely.. But the 2007 Giants won 3 Road playoff games and rode that defense to a championship maybe the 1999 Bills could have done the same had they beat the Titans.. Rob Johnson wasn't the main reason they lost that game but having said that..it annoys me that Wilson made that decision to bench Flutie.. I would love to know what other decisions Wilson forced his coaches to do that ended up with Wilson having egg over his face..

Let us also not forget that the offensive line was a wreck. Fina was hurt and left the game, and was not likely to be able to play again in a week or two. IIRC, he had been hobbled the last 4-5 games. Hicks (RT) was also hurt, but had to come back into the game when Kearse was whipping his replacements butt. I believe there was also a third interior linemen hurt as well. No only did the line perform horribly in that game, we were in no position to advance in the playoffs unless our Defense saved the day.

Billz_fan
11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Dam it ! I had not thought about this game in 6 months. Now the dreams are gonna start again :smashfrea

YardRat
11-07-2010, 02:00 AM
People forget but it was a fluke special teams play that snatched the defeat from the jaws of victory.

Ummm...I don't think so.

Commissioner
11-07-2010, 04:03 AM

Still... Wilson making those kind of calls just goes to show that the rumors about him are true. Wilson doesn't know dick though. I still blame him for the blunder of firing Bill Polian. Now that's a guy who knows football.

Yeah Johnson actually won THAT game. Flutie was the reason why we were in the playoffs though. Wasn't cool to bench him.

Johnson was the most fragile QB i ever saw.... worse that Trent.

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 04:17 AM
Who cares in this case who's call it was?

If we could have covered a kick, it would have been a non issue.

Johnson left the field in the lead on what at the time was a winning FG drive, only to have the special teams piss the game away.

Discotrish
11-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Seemed stupid at the time, more like they wanted to prove they made the right decision paying Johnson all that money instead of going with the guy who could win you the game.

Patti

patmoran2006
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Seemed stupid at the time, more like they wanted to prove they made the right decision paying Johnson all that money instead of going with the guy who could win you the game.

Patti

that is EXACTLY what Moulds told me.

Goobylal
11-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Patti
Not exactly. Flutie's play tailed-off considerably at the end of 1999. And RJ had a great game season-ending game. Again, RJ left the field with the lead, and he was getting KILLED behind that injured O-line.