• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Decision to bench Flutie for Johnson wasn't a coaching decision

IN an interview with Eric Moulds that I'll have published on Monday afternoon, he told me point-blank that when Doug Flutie was benched in favor of Rob Johnson, that it wasn't a decision made by Wade Phillips but rather the top of the organization.

While that may not seem overly significant to you, it's more evidence of what a meddling owner Ralph Wilson has been (this was more than 10 years ago) and how much control this front office had and still has over actual personnel decisions that are SUPPOSED to be reserved for the head coach.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Decision to bench Flutie for Johnson wasn't a coaching decision

Wasn't this already known that it wasn't Wade's call?

Comment

• hydro
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
      Pretty sure it was always suspected but never confirmed.
      BERNIAC!

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
        maybe.. but at least in my case, I dont ever recall a coach or player confirming it.

Comment

• Commissioner
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          IN an interview with Eric Moulds that I'll have published on Monday afternoon, he told me point-blank that when Doug Flutie was benched in favor of Rob Johnson, that it wasn't a decision made by Wade Phillips but rather the top of the organization.

While that may not seem overly significant to you, it's more evidence of what a meddling owner Ralph Wilson has been (this was more than 10 years ago) and how much control this front office had and still has over actual personnel decisions that are SUPPOSED to be reserved for the head coach.
          Look what happened a couple years ago when Troy Vincent was cut. It was Jim Overdorf !!

Hopefully Nix is a stronger GM and won't let that happen or he'll say I'm outta here.
          Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006

Holy Cow, Pat! No one EVER knew that before now! I smell a Pulitzer.

PTR
            10 Commandments of the D
            1. Never stop Rocking.
            2. Legalize all drugs.
            3. Quit your day job.
            4. All Religion should be taxed.
            5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
            6. F**k her gently.
            7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
            8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
            9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
            10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
              • Sep 2008

Pretty sure this was common knowledge. I knew about it, anyway.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                Holy Cow, Pat! No one EVER knew that before now! I smell a Pulitzer.

PTR
                lol.. ever the hater.

Maybe I'm wrong, but has a player or coach ever stated this as fact before? If so, I'd love to see a link to something.. Again, maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                  Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Why would you even bring this up during a low point for fans? We do NOT need to rehash the pains of yesteryear.
                  When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                    • Sep 2003

I agree that while everyone assumed it, it was never confirmed outright by anyone. At least not that I ever saw.
                    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• nolimit
                      Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
                      • Aug 2003

I remember being all for that move...When Johnson left the field...he had the game won.

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by nolimit
                        I remember being all for that move...When Johnson left the field...he had the game won.
                        Yeah, it amazes me how many people forget that Johnson was clutch as hell and won that game. Flutie would've **** the bed, no doubt.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

And Moulds knows this how?

Wade announced it to the team? That wouldn't be too bright. The 'top of the organization' pulled him aside from the rest of the team and put Eric in the loop? That wouldn't be too bright either. Flutie told him?
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

I recall hearing someone who met Wade Phillips saying that the call came from Wilson. And judging by the way the last few games under Flutie went, the season ender, and RJ leaving the field with the lead, only to see the ST's blow the game, it was the right call.
                            Last edited by Goobylal; 11-06-2010, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
                              shelby's big brother smilie smilie
                              • Mar 2007

I hated the move because I was never fond of scarf boy Johnson. He did almost win that game though. I think that Bills team could have beaten the Rams in the SB with that defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X