PDA

View Full Version : You guys should sign Tyrone McKenzie

Ickybaluky
11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
The Pats just released him off their PS. They thought highly enough of McKenzie to pay him $188K on the PS, the 2nd most a PS player was making in the NFL.

McKenzie asked for his release so he could work out for other teams. Though PS players are eligible to be signed by other teams, they can't work out like free agents. Because McKenzie is being released from the PS, he doesn't pass through waivers and is a free agent.

The Pats are very strong at ILB, with Mayo and Spikes starting and playing very well, and Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher both doing a good job as reserves. McKenzie would like the opportunity to find a place he might be able to crack the roster, and the Pats let him.

The Pats drafted him in the 3rd round a year ago, and he tore his ACL in the rookie camps. He was a tackling machine in college at South Florida. From watching him in preseason, he has good size and runs well. He played the run well and was a hitter, but he looked stiff in pass coverage (part of may be due to only being a year out from the ACL repair). I think he would have made the team, but his was out-classed in terms of ST performance.

In terms of character he rates very high. He was a smart kid (when he was drafted, Belichick was very impressed with his ability to break down film and discuss the game). He actually left college for a while to take care of his sick Mom, ultimately transferring to USF to be closer to home.

Here is what Belichick said when he was drafted (http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/patriots/christopher-price/best-and-worst-draft-weekend?page=show):

“I would just say of all the players that I’ve talked to and we’ve interviewed this year and even through the years, that Tyrone is amongst the most impressive,” said Belichick, who took him with the 97th overall pick. “Maturity, intelligence, what he’s done with the opportunities that he’s had or that he’s had to overcome, how he’s approached them, how he’s dealt with them, how he’s made the most of them.

“It hasn’t been easy. Yet, he’s continued to excel, jump over hurdles and overcome obstacles that I think would have derailed a lot of other people and/or football players. I think he’s a very impressive, mature, humble young man.”

This is just the kind of kid the Bills should bring in this year while they are rebuilding. He is only 24 and they can control him for a few years at cheap money. He is a high-character guy and has experience in the 3-4 from NE. At worst, I think he has the ability to play run downs in the NFL (kind of like Andre Davis, but much younger), and his has enough room to grow he might be more.

This isn't some turd they are flushing. The is a quality kid that is caught in a numbers game and asked to be released to pursue opportunities. For a team like the Bills, it is like getting another draft pick. If he doesn't find work, the Pats will bring him back after the season to try and make the team in camp next year. They like him, which is why they are doing this for him.

Oaf
11-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Sounds good to me, thanks NE.

X-Era
11-06-2010, 08:24 PM
The Pats just released him off their PS. They thought highly enough of McKenzie to pay him $188K on the PS, the 2nd most a PS player was making in the NFL.

McKenzie asked for his release so he could work out for other teams. Though PS players are eligible to be signed by other teams, they can't work out like free agents. Because McKenzie is being released from the PS, he doesn't pass through waivers and is a free agent.

The Pats are very strong at ILB, with Mayo and Spikes starting and playing very well, and Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher both doing a good job as reserves. McKenzie would like the opportunity to find a place he might be able to crack the roster, and the Pats let him.

The Pats drafted him in the 3rd round a year ago, and he tore his ACL in the rookie camps. He was a tackling machine in college at South Florida. From watching him in preseason, he has good size and runs well. He played the run well and was a hitter, but he looked stiff in pass coverage (part of may be due to only being a year out from the ACL repair). I think he would have made the team, but his was out-classed in terms of ST performance.

In terms of character he rates very high. He was a smart kid (when he was drafted, Belichick was very impressed with his ability to break down film and discuss the game). He actually left college for a while to take care of his sick Mom, ultimately transferring to USF to be closer to home.

Here is what Belichick said when he was drafted (http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/patriots/christopher-price/best-and-worst-draft-weekend?page=show):

This is just the kind of kid the Bills should bring in this year while they are rebuilding. He is only 24 and they can control him for a few years at cheap money. He is a high-character guy and has experience in the 3-4 from NE. At worst, I think he has the ability to play run downs in the NFL (kind of like Andre Davis, but much younger), and his has enough room to grow he might be more.

This isn't some turd they are flushing. The is a quality kid that is caught in a numbers game and asked to be released to pursue opportunities. For a team like the Bills, it is like getting another draft pick. If he doesn't find work, the Pats will bring him back after the season to try and make the team in camp next year. They like him, which is why they are doing this for him.I've been saying this since he was released before. The Bills were high on him before that draft. I dont know if a released PS'er can be signed to our PS. If so, cut either Williams or Russell. If he must be signed to the 53 man, cut Ellison.

Ickybaluky
11-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Sounds good to me, thanks NE.

Read that link. This is the type of kid you root for and want to see make a career in the NFL. Just an amazing story. He had scholarships to play at big schools (Michigan State, Iowa State), but walked away to take care of his family. He will be one guy I root hard for no matter where he lands (unless it is the Jets, my compassion has limits).

X-Era
11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/2148329/patriots-grant-tyrone-mckenzie-his-release

Dr. Lecter
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I've been saying this since he was released before. The Bills were high on him before that draft. I dont know if a released PS'er can be signed to our PS. If so, cut either Williams or Russell. If he must be signed to the 53 man, cut Ellison.
Or Maybin. Or McCargo.

There are players I would cut before Ellison

X-Era
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Pre-draft reads:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrone-mckenzie?id=80729
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33280&draftyear=2009&genpos=olb
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1279457

kingJofNYC
11-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Great thread man, you're one of the better "rival" posters. Remember McKenzie quite well, definitely should take a look.

Oldbillsfan
11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Someone wake up Buddy

mikemac2001
11-06-2010, 09:47 PM
first stop from NE should be Buffalo and he should be signed, if we need anything its LB's im fine with our Dline (feel they are to raw need a full off season)

lbs just suck which is hurting everyone

Buffalo Thriller
11-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Hopefully something will work out.