PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Merriman "definitely won't be re-signing in Buffalo"

DBrown77
11-07-2010, 08:09 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/07/shawne-merriman-definitely-wont-be-re-signing-in-buffalo/

No one wants to be here. We need to build through the draft.

lordofgun
11-07-2010, 08:14 AM
He still has to prove something before I'll worry about it.

cocamide
11-07-2010, 08:18 AM
The first article makes it seem like Merriman said this, but it's just some guy's opinion:

"CZAR’S SCOOP: Although he said all the right things with the Buffalo media, former Chargers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/san-diego-chargers/67068) OLB Shawne Merriman (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/shawne-merriman/299873) wasn’t happy about being claimed off waivers. Merriman, who is in the last year of his contract, definitely won’t be re-signing with the Bills, who are clearly in need of outside linebackers. Bills GM Buddy Nix ran the S.D. college scouting department from 2002 to 2007 and had a big hand in the selection of Merriman as the No. 12 overall pick in 2005."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-czar-week-9-countdown

mrbojanglezs
11-07-2010, 08:21 AM
speculation.....things can change, don't worry about it now

Billz_fan
11-07-2010, 08:23 AM
As I said before. IF and I say IF this is true it made no sense to pick him up for his audition for another team. Basically renting him for the remainder of the season. Not like we were going anywhere. Can't wait to see how this plays out one way or the other.

better days
11-07-2010, 08:29 AM
The first article makes it seem like Merriman said this, but it's just some guy's opinion:

"CZAR’S SCOOP: Although he said all the right things with the Buffalo media, former Chargers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/san-diego-chargers/67068) OLB Shawne Merriman (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/shawne-merriman/299873) wasn’t happy about being claimed off waivers. Merriman, who is in the last year of his contract, definitely won’t be re-signing with the Bills, who are clearly in need of outside linebackers. Bills GM Buddy Nix ran the S.D. college scouting department from 2002 to 2007 and had a big hand in the selection of Merriman as the No. 12 overall pick in 2005."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-czar-week-9-countdown

Yeah, it is just speculation & even if true, people change their mind all the time.

Merriman after being in Buffalo may decide that he likes the Players & Coaches on the Bills & the fans & the football atmosphere in Buffalo at the Ralph.

X-Era
11-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Kind of like when TO wouldn't be willing to resign here or sign here in the first place right?

better days
11-07-2010, 08:35 AM
As I said before. IF and I say IF this is true it made no sense to pick him up for his audition for another team. Basically renting him for the remainder of the season. Not like we were going anywhere. Can't wait to see how this plays out one way or the other.

Well, if he plays great & wants to leave, the Bills can tag & trade him or at least get a comp pick for him, maybe as high as a 3rd.

I think it was a great move picking him up even if true. He seems to have a passion for the game & you know he will play his best in a contract year. I think he will also be good in the locker room this year & help some of the young guys such as Maybin understand the commitment needed to play this game.

Billz_fan
11-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Well, if he plays great & wants to leave, the Bills can tag & trade him or at least get a comp pick for him, maybe as high as a 3rd.

I think it was a great move picking him up even if true. He seems to have a passion for the game & you know he will play his best in a contract year. I think he will also be good in the locker room this year & help some of the young guys such as Maybin understand the commitment needed to play this game.

It can go a few different ways, As I said it will be interesting to see how it plays out ;)

Jan Reimers
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Again, a comp pick is not guaranteed. It depends on net losses in FA.

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 08:41 AM

Again, compensatory picks work in terms of who leaves vs who you bring in.

Just because Merriman signs elsewhere doesn't guarantee a compensatory pick.

X-Era
11-07-2010, 08:45 AM
That opinion that Czar states so emphatically is simply conjecture, not a report of the facts, and certainly not a report from Merriman himself. Follow the logic.

If Merriman can score a bigger contract somewhere else, he will leave. If Merriman can score a bigger contract here he will stay. And if his play leaves him unable to get a big contract anywhere, it's a toss up. In fact, I think it may favor his current team.

Which really means this:

He needs to show he's worthy of a big contract, and then the Bills need to show their willing to spend the money. The Bills appear to be willing to spend some money after resigning Kelsay to a head-scratching contract. I think Merriman will only be able to command just above second tier money; it's not like Buffalo is the perfect place to pad your stats. Second tier money is our modus operandi and is in Buffalo's reach. We may just see him give us some loyalty in a desire to stay when all is said and done.

Don't count this out, and don't listen to the moronic media.

better days
11-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Well if he plays GREAT & wants to leave, I think a comp pick is a sure thing because Nix said when hired, the Bills will not spend money on high priced FA but rather resign their own players instead.

Beebe's Kid
11-07-2010, 08:52 AM
There are a lot of things that can change... Merriman might be washed up...or he might play great. If he plays great, and Buddy sees him as a true leader on defense...open up the checkbook. We have the money, and if it is on a quality player, not Langston Walker, then right the check.

Truth is; money talks. Buddy knows it. Buddy also knows we have to build a winning culture, and that is going to cost a few bucks. The possible return, in elevated play from those around him, makes it worth every penny.

Again, though, maybe he is washed up, and we don't want him here.

This is the stigma with Buffalo, that nobody wants to be here... It is funny because none of our HOF players thought they wanted to be here, either, now they are all still very active with the team. Maybe Buffalo isn't as bad of an area as internet douche bags, who have probably never even been here, think it is.

Let's see the guy play, then let Buddy worry about it. He already got ****ed into having to keep Kelsay...I would hope he could lean on RW for the scratch to sign a bad ass.

Prov401
11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
If he plays 'lights out', can't the Bills franchise him if they'd like?

Bangarang
11-07-2010, 09:17 AM
If he plays 'lights out', can't the Bills franchise him if they'd like?

Depends on the next CBA I would imagine.

Beebe's Kid
11-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Depends on the next CBA I would imagine.

Oh, the CBA... do you think that's important? There are a lot of people just acting like that doesn't exist.

The CBA set us back this year, due to the effect it had on this past years FA class, and it is going to have major implications during the off-season this year.

That won't be an issue to people like the Czar, or interweb posters that can't figure out why the Bills didn't sign every available free agent to five year deals, loaded with guaranteed money.

jcdavey
11-07-2010, 09:30 AM
There are a lot of things that can change... Merriman might be washed up...or he might play great. If he plays great, and Buddy sees him as a true leader on defense...open up the checkbook. We have the money, and if it is on a quality player, not Langston Walker, then right the check.

Truth is; money talks. Buddy knows it. Buddy also knows we have to build a winning culture, and that is going to cost a few bucks. The possible return, in elevated play from those around him, makes it worth every penny.

Again, though, maybe he is washed up, and we don't want him here.

This is the stigma with Buffalo, that nobody wants to be here... It is funny because none of our HOF players thought they wanted to be here, either, now they are all still very active with the team. Maybe Buffalo isn't as bad of an area as internet douche bags, who have probably never even been here, think it is.

Let's see the guy play, then let Buddy worry about it. He already got ****ed into having to keep Kelsay...I would hope he could lean on RW for the scratch to sign a bad ass.you don't get comp picks for midseason waiver pickups who leave in the off season

jcdavey
11-07-2010, 09:31 AM
unless he's smart and gets on hgh or steroids, he's not going to be a good player ever again

the titans ruined him in that respect

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2010, 09:39 AM
really man? you wasted your time making a thread about some PFT article, who got their information from some ******* on an nfl blog?

better days
11-07-2010, 09:48 AM
you don't get comp picks for midseason waiver pickups who leave in the off season

Do you know that for a fact? I heard some "experts" talking about Moss when he was cut & they said the team that picks him up could get a comp pick as high as a 3rd for him if he didn't resign with that team.

X-Era
11-07-2010, 10:08 AM
At least for now, Merriman is a Bill and may help us on the field. Maybe we should focus on that instead of getting worked up over some guys opinion on a blog.

ddaryl
11-07-2010, 10:37 AM
picking up Merriman was a absolute NO LOSE situation for the Bills.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
How in the world would anyone, including Merriman, know if he will resign with the Bills in the spring? This is purely speculation. Besides, can't we see if this guy can even play anymore before we worry about whether he will be signing next year?

Saratoga Slim
11-07-2010, 11:12 AM
picking up Merriman was a absolute NO LOSE situation for the Bills.

Exactly. what's the downside even if he is a rental? what young player who we really want to see on the field is he going to take time away from? Maybin, who can't even get on the field without Merriman here?

I just plain don't get the people that think Nix shouldn't have put in a claim because "Merriman isn't going to like Buffalo and isn't going to resign." That's the worst loser attitude I've ever seen.

It's like having a crush on a chick, but never asking her out because she might say no. You ask her out, take her on a few dates and show her your best side. If she likes it, great. If not, you're back where you started.

Cleve
11-07-2010, 11:14 AM
It's hard to believe a professional football player would make this sort of comment when he hasn't even taken the field.

The way the article is written, it is unclear if its something Merriman said, or the writer speculating.

Nighthawk
11-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Another no talent, no credential, blogger...

bluerosekiller
11-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Um, the source is FOX News.

Nuff said. It's total BS.

TrEd FTW
11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Um, the source is FOX News.

Nuff said. It's total BS.

Not remotely the same thing as FoxSports.

THATHURMANATOR
11-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Another douche reporter talking out of his ass.... If we offer him the most money he will be a Bill.

Demon
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
If it's true or not, i don't know, but whos calling this a no credible blogger? It's John Czarnecki who reported it for Fox Sports. He's worked covering the NFL for longer then most of us have been alive for and is one of the most respected journalists among his peers.

I'd say he's pretty credible. But, thats just me.

X-Era
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
If it's true or not, i don't know, but whos calling this a no credible blogger? It's John Czarnecki who reported it for Fox Sports. He's worked covering the NFL for longer then most of us have been alive for and is one of the most respected journalists among his peers.

I'd say he's pretty credible. But, thats just me.Credible at having an opinion. That's different than having credible information.

Demon
11-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Credible at having an opinion. That's different than having credible information.

Where does he state his opinion? He wrote that Merriman was not happy that we picked him up. I doubt he is speculating, but rather stating something he heard from someone close to Merriman.

People like him don't throw **** at the wall and hope they stick.

X-Era
11-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Where does he state his opinion? He wrote that Merriman was not happy that we picked him up. I doubt he is speculating, but rather stating something he heard from someone close to Merriman.

People like him don't throw **** at the wall and hope they stick.You doubt he was speculating? So you dont know? And when did he supposedly hear this? Within the first few hours of hearing that we were picking him up on waivers? Do you think maybe Merriman's supposed stance could have softened after having dinner with Nix and talking with him? That Merriman's presser was legit and he is looking forward to this like he said he was?

If he had made a statement like "From sources close to Merriman,...." Instead he just makes a quick blurb.

And yes, people like him, Mortenson, Shefter, Clayton, pretty much all of them make statements about what they think will happen and state it emphatically. Sometimes it has sources behind it, sometimes it doesn't and when its just a quick comment, your left not really knowing.

DrGraves
11-07-2010, 06:09 PM
we can just tag his ass

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2010, 09:41 PM

People like him don't throw **** at the wall and hope they stick.

umm, yeah, they do.

Spiderweb
11-07-2010, 11:22 PM

Ok, fine, if we don't get a pick, then we must have picked someone else up.

Yet, say he plays, "Lights Out", and the Bills Franchise him?

The Bills still have nothing to lose. He'll have 8 games to prove he still has anything and in that time, many things could change as well. Maybe will get a pick, maybe a high pick in a sign & trade, or maybe he'll stay.

All in all, well worth the signing.

jamze132
11-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Another douche reporter talking out of his ass.... If we offer him the most money he will be a Bill.
That's exactly correct. What sucks though is that we are going to have to overpay for any "name" player just because we suck so bad. But... we have the cap space to sign anyone.

JCBills
11-08-2010, 09:42 AM

The Pats get handed picks year after year for losing ST players. If we don't get comp for losing Merriman the league is even more slanted than I thought.

Beebe's Kid
11-09-2010, 01:00 PM
you don't get comp picks for midseason waiver pickups who leave in the off season

I don't want a comp pick. I want a linebacker that can sack the ****ing QB, and make the other team have to plan around him. I want a veteran leader who is a bad ass. I want the 3-4.

We basically rolled the dice, if it works and Merriman can return to being the type of player he was, then we need to write a check.

People discount the Nix factor....Merriman became a star because Nix drafted him, and several other talented players. San Diego was a ****ing joke for a long time, and they have been a consistent contender since Nix was involved in their drafts.

Posters here discount that because they need to be victims...Merriman was a first hand benefactor of what Nix was able to help do in SD...he remembers.

If Merriman sucks...oh well, it was fun using him on Madden for a few months.

X-Era
11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
From BB.com:

"As for the reports that Merriman has no intention of considering staying in Buffalo after this season and even told his new teammates as much, the 3-time Pro Bowl LB refuted the report.

“Not at all,” he said. ”You can ask every guy in this locker room and that’s not been the case. That’s not my focus. My focus is to come in and help the defense get better. Whatever capacity they want to use me I’m going to be here for that.”"

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/11/09/merriman-plans-to-practice/

Extremebillsfan247
11-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Merriman is singing a different tune though. Who are we to believe, Merriman, or some guy on a sports blog? Just wondering. lol

ratso
11-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Who the hell is Czar and why does ny one care what he writes?

jimbohastle51
11-10-2010, 12:15 PM
he went to dinner with nix his first night in buffalo for a reason. they have a relationship beyond just gm and player. obviously nix preached the "this isnt the best situation but here are the positives" speech. i am positive nix told him we need a leader, a pass rusher, and a culture change.... and then i am also positive he said that if merriman provides that he will be paid accordingly. there is a reason that merriman was saying all the right things at his press conference the day after having dinner with nix. and also all the reports about him being unhappy and not resigning were before the dinner discussion with nix. nix has already made it clear to shawne what his expectations are and that he is willing to pay if shawne plays and leads by example.

Cleve
11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
And now Shawne is injured before even taking a snap. LOL.

Extremebillsfan247
11-10-2010, 05:57 PM
And now Shawne is injured before even taking a snap. LOL. Right. Now we have to sit here and wonder if he is really injured or if he's just faking it to get out of here. That loss to the Bears must have left some impression huh? lol