• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBrown77
    Watching the Bills suck since 1999
    • Mar 2005

Shawne Merriman "definitely won't be re-signing in Buffalo"

We give linebacker Shawne Merriman credit for showing up right away to the Bills after being claimed off waivers and saying all the right things at his introductory press conference.

No one wants to be here. We need to build through the draft.

• lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Shawne Merriman "definitely won't be re-signing in Buffalo"

He still has to prove something before I'll worry about it.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• cocamide
      • Oct 2006

The first article makes it seem like Merriman said this, but it's just some guy's opinion:

"CZAR’S SCOOP: Although he said all the right things with the Buffalo media, former Chargers OLB Shawne Merriman wasn’t happy about being claimed off waivers. Merriman, who is in the last year of his contract, definitely won’t be re-signing with the Bills, who are clearly in need of outside linebackers. Bills GM Buddy Nix ran the S.D. college scouting department from 2002 to 2007 and had a big hand in the selection of Merriman as the No. 12 overall pick in 2005."

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
        • Jan 2010

speculation.....things can change, don't worry about it now

Comment

• Billz_fan
          • Jan 2003

As I said before. IF and I say IF this is true it made no sense to pick him up for his audition for another team. Basically renting him for the remainder of the season. Not like we were going anywhere. Can't wait to see how this plays out one way or the other.
          The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cocamide
            The first article makes it seem like Merriman said this, but it's just some guy's opinion:

"CZAR’S SCOOP: Although he said all the right things with the Buffalo media, former Chargers OLB Shawne Merriman wasn’t happy about being claimed off waivers. Merriman, who is in the last year of his contract, definitely won’t be re-signing with the Bills, who are clearly in need of outside linebackers. Bills GM Buddy Nix ran the S.D. college scouting department from 2002 to 2007 and had a big hand in the selection of Merriman as the No. 12 overall pick in 2005."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/a...ek-9-countdown
            Yeah, it is just speculation & even if true, people change their mind all the time.

Merriman after being in Buffalo may decide that he likes the Players & Coaches on the Bills & the fans & the football atmosphere in Buffalo at the Ralph.

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Kind of like when TO wouldn't be willing to resign here or sign here in the first place right?

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Billz_fan
                As I said before. IF and I say IF this is true it made no sense to pick him up for his audition for another team. Basically renting him for the remainder of the season. Not like we were going anywhere. Can't wait to see how this plays out one way or the other.
                Well, if he plays great & wants to leave, the Bills can tag & trade him or at least get a comp pick for him, maybe as high as a 3rd.

I think it was a great move picking him up even if true. He seems to have a passion for the game & you know he will play his best in a contract year. I think he will also be good in the locker room this year & help some of the young guys such as Maybin understand the commitment needed to play this game.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days
                  Well, if he plays great & wants to leave, the Bills can tag & trade him or at least get a comp pick for him, maybe as high as a 3rd.

I think it was a great move picking him up even if true. He seems to have a passion for the game & you know he will play his best in a contract year. I think he will also be good in the locker room this year & help some of the young guys such as Maybin understand the commitment needed to play this game.
                  It can go a few different ways, As I said it will be interesting to see how it plays out
                  The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Again, a comp pick is not guaranteed. It depends on net losses in FA.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days

Again, compensatory picks work in terms of who leaves vs who you bring in.

Just because Merriman signs elsewhere doesn't guarantee a compensatory pick.

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

That opinion that Czar states so emphatically is simply conjecture, not a report of the facts, and certainly not a report from Merriman himself. Follow the logic.

If Merriman can score a bigger contract somewhere else, he will leave. If Merriman can score a bigger contract here he will stay. And if his play leaves him unable to get a big contract anywhere, it's a toss up. In fact, I think it may favor his current team.

Which really means this:

He needs to show he's worthy of a big contract, and then the Bills need to show their willing to spend the money. The Bills appear to be willing to spend some money after resigning Kelsay to a head-scratching contract. I think Merriman will only be able to command just above second tier money; it's not like Buffalo is the perfect place to pad your stats. Second tier money is our modus operandi and is in Buffalo's reach. We may just see him give us some loyalty in a desire to stay when all is said and done.

Don't count this out, and don't listen to the moronic media.
                        Last edited by X-Era; 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          Again, a comp pick is not guaranteed. It depends on net losses in FA.
                          Well if he plays GREAT & wants to leave, I think a comp pick is a sure thing because Nix said when hired, the Bills will not spend money on high priced FA but rather resign their own players instead.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                            • Nov 2009

There are a lot of things that can change... Merriman might be washed up...or he might play great. If he plays great, and Buddy sees him as a true leader on defense...open up the checkbook. We have the money, and if it is on a quality player, not Langston Walker, then right the check.

Truth is; money talks. Buddy knows it. Buddy also knows we have to build a winning culture, and that is going to cost a few bucks. The possible return, in elevated play from those around him, makes it worth every penny.

Again, though, maybe he is washed up, and we don't want him here.

This is the stigma with Buffalo, that nobody wants to be here... It is funny because none of our HOF players thought they wanted to be here, either, now they are all still very active with the team. Maybe Buffalo isn't as bad of an area as internet douche bags, who have probably never even been here, think it is.

Let's see the guy play, then let Buddy worry about it. He already got ****ed into having to keep Kelsay...I would hope he could lean on RW for the scratch to sign a bad ass.

Comment

• Prov401
                              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                              • Aug 2008

If he plays 'lights out', can't the Bills franchise him if they'd like?

Comment

Working...
                              X