PDA

View Full Version : Blitzing

hydro
11-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Well everyone that was begging for some blitzing got it! And look where it has gotten us... Not exactly making any difference that I can see other than giving Cutler opportunities to run and find WRs in single coverage.

YardRat
11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
The run blitzing has been pretty effective IMO. Pass blitzes are another story, and Ing pretty much nailed it in the GD thread by observing that the defense is doing a ****ty job disguising it. If the opponents o-line is manning up square on your blitzers, they know it's coming. A well-designed blitz will force the o-line to reach, dive, stumble etc. because they didn't see that guy coming.

Pinkerton Security
11-07-2010, 01:34 PM
We suck at blitzing, period. Even when they bring 6 or 7 guys we do not get to the QB. We need to utilize the skill sets of guys like Moats and (eventually) Merriman to make these blitzes more effective. I do like the run blitzing though.

Buffalo Thriller
11-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah. Im loving how Kelsay continues to make it itno the back field, yet does nothing.

tampabay25690
11-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I noticed as well.

I really like are young guys Moats and Coleman....

Ingtar33
11-07-2010, 03:58 PM
The run blitzing has been pretty effective IMO. Pass blitzes are another story, and Ing pretty much nailed it in the GD thread by observing that the defense is doing a ****ty job disguising it. If the opponents o-line is manning up square on your blitzers, they know it's coming. A well-designed blitz will force the o-line to reach, dive, stumble etc. because they didn't see that guy coming.

****ty would be polite. they're better off not blitzing at all with how bad they're hiding their blitzes right now.

it's pretty amateurish.

-A few years back when Dick LeBeau came over and helped Grey with his defense, the biggest (and as far as i could tell) the only change that was made in the defense was the disguising of the blitzing. It went from solid to outstanding in just one off-season... and made all the difference in the world with how the defense performed that year.

I don't know George Edwards personally, and my coaching and playing experience is pretty much all on the offensive side of the ball, but just looking at our defense from an opposing QB & OC's point of view, the blitzes are far too easy to identify, as are the coverages (the only thing the defense does worse then disguising it's blitzes is disguising the coverage, followed closely by getting off blocks and tackling)

Spiderweb
11-07-2010, 11:49 PM

Edwards and the Bills front 7 should all be forced to study the Steelers film as well as that of Clay Matthews for GB. Disguising blitzes and how to actually blitz. Maybe even some footage of Paup from the mid 90's for good mix.

mikemac2001
11-08-2010, 12:27 AM
ya the hiding of the blitz was bad, it was obvious who was blitzing like everytime...And first rule to beating the blitz throw at it, which happened a ton

DB blitz off the edge slot WR would just do a cross or out (or to flats RB) and it was an easy gain. i could have sat out there and thrown the ball to the correct option (would it have been pretty no) but anyone could have made those reads....

edwards needs to step it up or we need to find a replacement right after the reason, and a vet at it.

jamze132
11-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Well its painfully obvious George Edwards is in over his head. I just hope Gailey recognizes that and gets a new DC next year.

Mahdi
11-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Well everyone that was begging for some blitzing got it! And look where it has gotten us... Not exactly making any difference that I can see other than giving Cutler opportunities to run and find WRs in single coverage.
Hopefully having Merriman in that blitz package will make the difference. Moats is not ready yet and neither is Coleman. Kelsay is no blitzer either.

This team is 1 pass rusher away IMO from having 3 wins right now. At this point we have to play a perfect game on offense in order to win. 1 fumble or 1 INT is too much to overcome because our D will rarely make game changing plays or create more turnovers than the other defense.

jamze132
11-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Edwards sucked ass at hiding every blitz yesterday. I just don't think he is suited to be a DC in the NFL right now.

psubills62
11-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Have to wonder how much better Buffalo's D would be with a new DC. We lost talent on offense, yet they are worlds better with Gailey at the helm.

methos4ever
11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Edwards and the Bills front 7 should all be forced to study the Steelers film as well as that of Clay Matthews for GB. Disguising blitzes and how to actually blitz. Maybe even some footage of Paup from the mid 90's for good mix.

One of the keys to disguising a blitz is, no matter how you stem / shade / move to it, you have to be able to get to your spot and ultimately the qb launch point. The problem with with these linebackers, to me, has been their inability to get there, when already in a position to do so. So, if they were to say move a little more or delay a bit, they may actually (because of some of their lack of experience) be worse...

And we also suffer from the ILBs not being able to consistently bang with the Guards. Even in the 4-3 hybrid alignment, they're not reading the right key, or collisioning through the guard to the back/qb.

Until we have those pieces in place, I don't think it's fair to indict Edwards based on what he has.

Mahdi
11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Have to wonder how much better Buffalo's D would be with a new DC. We lost talent on offense, yet they are worlds better with Gailey at the helm.
Not having a pass rusher is a huge handicap for any DC. Our pass rush sucked under Fewell. Now look what he is doing with the Giants. They are #5 in the NFL in sacks.

psubills62
11-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Not having a pass rusher is a huge handicap for any DC. Our pass rush sucked under Fewell. Now look what he is doing with the Giants. They are #5 in the NFL in sacks.

Agreed, although creativity can help a pass rush that lacks in talent. Also, our pass rush was actually decent last year after Bob Sanders came here to help our DL.

Mahdi
11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Agreed, although creativity can help a pass rush that lacks in talent. Also, our pass rush was actually decent last year after Bob Sanders came here to help our DL.
We had Schobel though who had his 10 garbage time/hustle sacks. Schobel was a decent pass rusher. We don't even have that now.