PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand how people sell out Fitzpatrick on games like this.

Oaf
11-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Fitz has been tremendous on 3rd down. That's all I gotta say. Can anyone remember ever feeling so okay about being in yet another 3rd-and-long? Compare his performance on 3rd down against our last 5 quarterbacks.

You give him the ball at the 1, with one minute, with no timeouts, and he doesn't score, and you say he's the reason we lost? We wouldn't have even been in that situation if it wasn't for some awful blocking on that PAT. That said, he could have broke the game with a proper throw to Nelson, but the guy can't be 100%, 100% of the time guys; he again made some amazing reads, stuff like Matt Ryan's been doing down in Atlanta.

JMHO.. :fishy:

Novacane
11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
The first INT was terrible. You can count on him for 1 of those every game.

YardRat
11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
It's never just one guy's fault, and if we had any of the previous QB's you alluded to we probably wouldn't be in the positions we've been in the last three weeks with a real opportunity to take all three, but it's undeniable that Fitzy's errors were a pretty big factor in this loss.

Buffalo Thriller
11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Because im tired of having a quaterback that we have to play from behind with. Fitz can't put us up three scores. When gets to a clutch situation, he doesn't have it. Quit backing mediocrity.

Dr. Pepper
11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Quit backing mediocrity.

says the guy with shawne merriman in his signature?

bf1
11-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Fitz isn't trent. That's about the only really good thing about him. Otherwise he's serviceable, but no one to build a team around.

Luisito23
No running game, no pass rush, and horrible play-calling...Yeah, it's Fitz' fault we lost. Had it not been for him, we would've gotten blown out in each of our last 3 games...With that said I still want a new QB, but I really hope we keep Fitz!

lightningbolt444
It's never just one guy's fault, and if we had any of the previous QB's you alluded to we probably wouldn't be in the positions we've been in the last three weeks with a real opportunity to take all three, but it's undeniable that Fitzy's errors were a pretty big factor in this loss.

At the same time people are failing to realize what he is doing is putting us in position to win as well without his plays we are not even in the last three games. His INTs are very costly but if there are very few QBS in the league that can be asked to throw 45 times without a running game to compliment them that wont throw an INT and btw ALL ints are at a bad time not just ones thrown in the 4th ............

Im not saying he is the answer but he is the reason we are even in these games if we had stuck with edwards think how bad it would be. What is wrong is everyon knows we have to bottom out well first we were awful people complain that they just want to be entertained now we are playing entertaining football but still losing and everyone is saying we have to win but we have to get Luck to. We all knew we were going to be this bad I honestly thought worse than this but look at the positives everyweek.

We blocked well today minus a couple plays and Steve Johnson is for real no questions. We didnt do awful against the run (inprovement). Do we have negatives sure we do lots of them but less than the beginning of the year.

Lone Stranger
11-07-2010, 03:42 PM
He hasn't led us to a victory yet.

lightningbolt444
11-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Because im tired of having a quaterback that we have to play from behind with. Fitz can't put us up three scores. When gets to a clutch situation, he doesn't have it. Quit backing mediocrity.

How can he even go up three scores with this d? We are Awful at forcing turnovers

lightningbolt444
11-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I think people are looking for ONE GUY to save this team well its not going to happen one guy does not make a football team........

Buffalo Thriller
11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
says the guy with shawne merriman in his signature?
He is better than anything we have had. He is a probowler, what does our Lb corp have to compare?

Cleve
11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I think he is an excellent back-up caliber quarterback. However, he is not a starting-level QB. He's clearly superior to Spent Edwards (which I, unlike the so called "management" at One Bills Drive, realized LAST year) but that doesn't make him a 1st string sort of guy either.

My opinion of him really hasn't changed.

Oaf
11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
It's never just one guy's fault, and if we had any of the previous QB's you alluded to we probably wouldn't be in the positions we've been in the last three weeks with a real opportunity to take all three

This is exactly what I mean. Winning ballgames is a team effort and Fitz can't do it on his own (which is made clear by the losses in accuracy or the INTs we've seen).

But if we want to win, how much more can we reasonably expect from the guy without expecting the same from other sides of the team? We had a complete lack of a run game, an utter lack of hands on the defense, an utter lack of execution on special teams.

The guy is one who's put us in positions to win; other teammates have to step up and take that opportunity. Did Losman/Holcomb/Edwards ever do that? Asking for more means you're asking for a Elway/Montana/Kelly kind of QB (so note that I am not saying we shouldn't take Luck).

lightningbolt444
11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
If we had just drafted Fitz a couple years ago and he was 25 instead of 27 I bet MANY MANY people would say how he was our next great qb but because he was a backup thats all he will be in most peoples eyes forever. If he keeps playing this way I bet the FO will pass on a QB in round one

PromoTheRobot
11-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Exactly. Fitz would be that franchise QB if he was more accurate but he isn't. In fact he really makes his receivers work for their catches. I counted two sure TDs that Fitz threw short, one to Evans and the other to Nelson.

PTR

kingJofNYC
11-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Yeah, but the Bears forced him into it. If you go back and look, the Bears had a safety blitz called and they tipped it early. As soon as Fitz saw him creep, he killed the run that was called. You then watch Urlacher or Briggs, forget which one, kill the blitz and drop the safety back over the top of Johnson. Hard ball to fit given the coverage.

lightningbolt444
11-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Here are Kellys numbers what this shows is he threw INTS as well and he honestly threw a good number of ints compared to TDs now Im not saying fitz is kelly and that kelly isnt a great qb but this just goes to show you that its a team effort kelly had a GREAT team around him it WAS NOT just him.

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto" class=wikitable border=1><TBODY><TR><TH>Year</TH><TH>Team</TH><TH>GP</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Att</TH><TH>Com</TH><TH>Pct</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Int</TH><TH>Rate</TH></TR><TR><TD>1986</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>4-12-0</TD><TD>480</TD><TD>285</TD><TD>59.4</TD><TD>3,593</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>83.3</TD></TR><TR><TD>1987</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>6-6-0</TD><TD>419</TD><TD>250</TD><TD>59.7</TD><TD>2,798</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>83.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>1988</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>12-4-0</TD><TD>452</TD><TD>269</TD><TD>59.5</TD><TD>3,380</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>78.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>1989</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>6-7-0</TD><TD>391</TD><TD>228</TD><TD>58.3</TD><TD>3,130</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>86.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>1990</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>12-2-0</TD><TD>346</TD><TD>219</TD><TD>63.3</TD><TD>2,829</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>101.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>1991</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>13-2-0</TD><TD>474</TD><TD>304</TD><TD>64.1</TD><TD>3,844</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>97.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>1992</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>11-5-0</TD><TD>462</TD><TD>269</TD><TD>58.2</TD><TD>3,457</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>81.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>1993</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>12-4-0</TD><TD>470</TD><TD>288</TD><TD>61.3</TD><TD>3,382</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>79.9</TD></TR><TR><TD>1994</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>7-7-0</TD><TD>448</TD><TD>285</TD><TD>63.6</TD><TD>3,114</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>84.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>1995</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>10-5-0</TD><TD>458</TD><TD>255</TD><TD>55.7</TD><TD>3,130</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>81.1</TD></TR><TR><TD>1996</TD><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>8-5-0</TD><TD>379</TD><TD>222</TD><TD>58.6</TD><TD>2,810</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>73.2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

He Threw 237 TD's and threw 175 Ints he then also lost 76 Fumbles meaning he turned the ball over 251 times mean he turned the ball over more than he threw a td.........

Dr. Pepper
11-07-2010, 04:03 PM
He is better than anything we have had. He is a probowler, what does our Lb corp have to compare?

he is not a pro bowler, he was a pro bowler. and just because hes the best LB on the team doesnt make him good. fitzpatrick is the best qb on our team, and youre arguing that hes mediocre, so really that argument holds no water.

Philagape
11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
He is better than anything we have had. He was a probowler, what does our Lb corp have to compare?

Fixed

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2010, 04:13 PM
are you ****ing kidding me? this ass clown had some many horrible passes today. with a decent quarterback, the Bills win this game easily.

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 04:16 PM
What is he now, 0-6 as the starting QB now?

With mind numbingly bad plays in key spots.

Yeah, I'm jumping on the Fitz bandwagon for 2011!

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2010, 04:16 PM
No running game, no pass rush, and horrible play-calling...Yeah, it's Fitz' fault we lost. Had it not been for him, we would've gotten blown out in each of our last 3 games...With that said I still want a new QB, but I really hope we keep Fitz!

get off his nuts. his throwing was erratic today and always has been. with a more accurate quarterback the Bills would have won this game by two touchdowns.

bluerosekiller
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Damn it.
I love his smarts, his never say die attitude, the way this offense plays for him & the way that he plays the majority of the time.
But, when the game is REALLY on the line & we NEED absolutely nothing but positive plays, he lets us down.

I don't know if this is something that can be corrected or not though.
We've been oh SO close to victory over the past three weeks, is it possible that he's ready to turn the corner & begin pulling these sorts of games out soon. Or is the pressure too much for him & he'll always make the heartbreaking mistake with the game on the line?

I mean, our line seems to be getting a wee bit better each week, but they're still not giving the skill players enough time to get the passing or running game the opportunity to REALLY get things going.
The recievers are doing a good job of stepping up to the plate & the RBs are trying, but they need more help.
I think we're one elite O lineman from being special.

BertSquirtgum
But if we want to win, how much more can we reasonably expect from the guy without expecting the same from other sides of the team? We had a complete lack of a run game, an utter lack of hands on the defense, an utter lack of execution on special teams.

we had a lack of running game because our coach is a moron and completely abandoned it, like he always does. putting more pressure on fitzpatrick, which always shows how bad he really is.

kingJofNYC
I hope Luck doesn't come out and we get the number 1 pick. It's what this fan base deserves.

we had a lack of running game because our coach is a moron and completely abandoned it, like he always does. putting more pressure on fitzpatrick, which always shows how bad he really is.

We were getting zero push up front. It was pathetic. You were watching a different game.

lightningbolt444
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Do people realize he completed 60% of his throws today is he erratic sure he is but 60% is pretty good not great but pretty good Tom Brady today was 52% against the Browns......

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I hope Luck doesn't come out and we get the number 1 pick. It's what this fan base deserves.

i hope you take a walk in the middle of a busy highway

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Do people realize he completed 60% of his throws today is he erratic sure he is but 60% is pretty good not great but pretty good Tom Brady today was 52% against the Browns......

Tom Brady has a track record and is a first ballot hall of famer.

Even great QBs have bad games.

kingJofNYC
Amazing comeback champ. Straight ether.

BertSquirtgum
yeah, stick up for the guy who can't win games. sure he can keep us in games but when it comes down to it, he can't finish off a game. it's been proved for the past three weeks. when are you fitz ball washers going to open your eyes. GREAT backup, terrible starter.

Nighthawk
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Gailey is the reason for Fitz's success...Fitz is a backup...deal with it.

Nighthawk
11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
What is he now, 0-6 as the starting QB now?

With mind numbingly bad plays in key spots.

Yeah, I'm jumping on the Fitz bandwagon for 2011!

Exactly! Some people just don't get it. He also was a key component when the Bengals went 0-7 to start the season. The one thing that people need to realize is that this guy is not a winner...

kingJofNYC
11-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah, we're ballwashing the guy because we're not killing him week after week. He's actually giving us a chance to win. Bring in Brohm, he has what it takes!

If we actually held on to the ball to start the second half, if we actually held on instead of dropping ints, if, if, if.

It takes more than one guy to win/lose.

lightningbolt444
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM
yeah, stick up for the guy who can't win games. sure he can keep us in games but when it comes down to it, he can't finish off a game. it's been proved for the past three weeks. when are you fitz ball washers going to open your eyes. GREAT backup, terrible starter.

I have said many times I want another qb in the draft and he is FAR from a terrible starter he is not great but he is average to above average. When are people going to realize that football is a team game and one player can not make a team?

Oaf
11-07-2010, 04:27 PM
If we had just drafted Fitz a couple years ago and he was 25 instead of 27

Ah, yes! If he had been our 7th pick a few years back, well, things would certainly sound different on here.

Jim Kelly himself said this week we needed 4 or 5 pieces other than QB to even compete. And then you have posters like FTY saying we lost because of Fitzpatrick? Mind numbingly bad play in key spots like 4th & goal @ KC and 4th & 2 on the CHI 38? Un-bill-ievable.

are you ****ing kidding me? this ass clown had some many horrible passes today. with a decent quarterback, the Bills win this game easily.

get off his nuts. his throwing was erratic today and always has been. with a more accurate quarterback the Bills would have won this game by two touchdowns.

:lmao:

kingJofNYC
11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Most of us understand that we need a QB for the future, but that doesn't mean Fitz can't tide us over until we actually draft one.

Some of you act like Luck is predestined to be our QB. If we ****ing win a single game this season, he probably won't be. If he doesn't come out, well we better tank again.

Stop acting like petulant children, if you don't like watching him play then don't. He's going to be around until the end of next season, so you better learn how to deal with it.

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Ah, yes! If he had been our 7th pick a few years back, well, things would certainly sound different on here.

Jim Kelly himself said this week we needed 4 or 5 pieces other than QB to even compete. And then you have posters like FTY saying we lost because of Fitzpatrick? Mind numbingly bad play in key spots like 4th & goal @ KC and 4th & 2 on the CHI 38? Un-bill-ievable.

:lmao:

And look at how many plays he leaves on the field.

Or do those not matter?

lightningbolt444
11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
And look at how many plays he leaves on the field.

Or do those not matter?

No it does. Most of us are not saying he is the qb of the future. He will probably be around for this season and next at the very least however. What we are saying is he is not the reason we are losing doe he contribute to the losing sure does but so does the rest of the team and the coaches and qb is far from the worst position on the football team. So everyone needs to stop blaming things only on fitz he made this Offense and team competitive which is better than what it was. What happens if we draft Luck and he turns out to be a bust or get hurt (not saying he will or that I want this to happen) everyone is going to say should have stayed with Fitz and it will be the same people calling for Fitz's head right now.

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
No it does. Most of us are not saying he is the qb of the future. He will probably be around for this season and next at the very least however. What we are saying is he is not the reason we are losing doe he contribute to the losing sure does but so does the rest of the team and the coaches and qb is far from the worst position on the football team. So everyone needs to stop blaming things only on fitz he made this Offense and team competitive which is better than what it was. What happens if we draft Luck and he turns out to be a bust or get hurt (not saying he will or that I want this to happen) everyone is going to say should have stayed with Fitz and it will be the same people calling for Fitz's head right now.

I agree he's not the reason we're losing.

We're losing because we have idiots for coaches. A HC/OC who thinks he's still in the ACC running the spread and forcing an inferior QB have to throw 40+ times every week. We go down one score and all of a sudden our offense is playing like we're down 4 scores.

And I won't even say how poor our DC is, that should be obvious.

We are one of the weakest teams in terms of talent and we're bottom 3 in terms of coaching, if not worse.

bluerosekiller
11-07-2010, 04:55 PM

But, to be fair to Fitz, each & everyone of those bads throws were made under heavy pressure while trying to make something positive happen to win the game.
They weren't simply garden variety blunders to my eyes.

The offense has been shouldering 75% to 80% of the game lately, because of the Ds major short comings.
Were they capable of being a stouter squad that could hold the line & prevent the opponents from stuffing the ball down their throats with the run, or putting enough legitimate pressure on opposing QBs to force them into multiple sacks and/or turnovers with the games on the line, it's very likely that it wouldn't always come down to Fitz in the end, with the clock ticking down with the outcome on the line.

This team has many flaws at the end of the day that are keeping them winless, so IMO blaming everything on Fitz's play at this point is just silly. Barring a significant injury, I believe the job should remain his for the remainder of the season.
Let's just let it play out & see if they can turn the corner just a wee bit by actually winning a small handful of games, say 3 or 4.

Should they manage that feat & show some genuine signs of improving, maybe they ought to be given a shot at next year, no matter who we do or don't draft.

acehole
11-07-2010, 05:58 PM
The same people complaining about fitz and putting it all on his shoulders are the same ones that were making every excuse in the book for edwards.

Breath.

Fitz has been tremendous on 3rd down. That's all I gotta say. Can anyone remember ever feeling so okay about being in yet another 3rd-and-long? Compare his performance on 3rd down against our last 5 quarterbacks.

You give him the ball at the 1, with one minute, with no timeouts, and he doesn't score, and you say he's the reason we lost? We wouldn't have even been in that situation if it wasn't for some awful blocking on that PAT. That said, he could have broke the game with a proper throw to Nelson, but the guy can't be 100%, 100% of the time guys; he again made some amazing reads, stuff like Matt Ryan's been doing down in Atlanta.

Stewie
11-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but the Bears forced him into it. If you go back and look, the Bears had a safety blitz called and they tipped it early. As soon as Fitz saw him creep, he killed the run that was called. You then watch Urlacher or Briggs, forget which one, kill the blitz and drop the safety back over the top of Johnson. Hard ball to fit given the coverage.

saw that too, but if you're fitz you gotta read that and go somewhere else with the ball.

jdbillsfan
11-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I agree he's not the reason we're losing.

We're losing because we have idiots for coaches. A HC/OC who thinks he's still in the ACC running the spread and forcing an inferior QB have to throw 40+ times every week. We go down one score and all of a sudden our offense is playing like we're down 4 scores.

And I won't even say how poor our DC is, that should be obvious.

We are one of the weakest teams in terms of talent and we're bottom 3 in terms of coaching, if not worse.

We are one of the weakest teams in terms of talent and the fact that Gailey has them playing competitive means that he is doing a pretty good job. Going into the season, Gailey was trying to build a strong running team, but the oline doesn't have that ability, so he adapted. The passing game works and they are putting up points.

Gailey has adapted to this teams strength and I like that. If they can draft some maulers for the line, maybe his game plan will change.

Bill Cody
11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Allow me to ramble please. Thank you in advance.

If Andrew Luck comes out and we are picking 1st we will take him as we absolutely should. Period. And that has nothing to do with Fitz per se. Fitz has literally shocked me at how well he's played. The guys ripping him make me laugh. Lots of folks were saying he wasn't even a decent backup before the season and now he's playing his ass off and anyone that doesn't rip him for not being Peyton Maning is on his nuts? Please. 0-8 teams don't have MVP's but if they did Fitz would be ours. Some of you people just enjoy ripping the team, that's your right. But we're playing competitively with what some say is no talent and no coaching and a bad QB. Tell me exactly how that works it's confusing to me. Yes winning is the bottom line in the NFL. But tell me why it's better to go 7-9 in as boring a way as possible every year and I'll listen. BTW Cleveland looks smarter every week for spending a 3rd on Colt McCoy don't they?

Mr. Pink
11-07-2010, 09:16 PM
We are one of the weakest teams in terms of talent and the fact that Gailey has them playing competitive means that he is doing a pretty good job. Going into the season, Gailey was trying to build a strong running team, but the oline doesn't have that ability, so he adapted. The passing game works and they are putting up points.

Gailey has adapted to this teams strength and I like that. If they can draft some maulers for the line, maybe his game plan will change.

It's the same piss poor O-line as last year. Did Fred Jackson forget how to run the football? No. Gailey doesn't give him enough carries to get into a rhythm.

It's not adapting. He's running a college spread offense.

Spiderweb
11-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Very very few are saying he sucks. What is maddening is his penchant for the big mistake, the string of wildly thrown balls when the chips are on the line. A fair number of the receptions the Bills have had are due to outstanding efforts and grabs by our WR's, and not "great" throws. What Fitz does do is throw it and give the receivers a chance to make a play, unlike those vapor-brain locked predecessors (Losman and Edwards).

9:16 to go in the 4th. Bills leading 19-14 and just foreced the Bears into a 3 and out. Fitz picked off at the Bears 38 on an underthrown ball to Johnson who made a beautiful double move to get open deep. Pick returned to the Bills 23 and ultimately the Bears score the go ahead (and game winning) TD.

6:41 to go in the 4th, CJ Spiller picks up a first, then Fitz picks up a first on a sneak, and then those short to Johns on for another 1st. We're moving? Not so fast. 1st & 10 from the Bears 44, Fitz throws deep to Evans but out of bounds. Second down, under throws Nelson on a deep route where he had split the DB & Safety. Third down, Fitz Throws wildly high, but Parrish make a fabulous grab, but couldn't come down in bounds. 4th down, throws another off the mark pass to Johnson, under pressure and incomplete.

We get the ball back with 1:04 to play, Fitz hits Johnson for 16, then he hits Jones for 8, again in the middle of the field underneath the coverage. Last pass indtended for Jones again on a deep route over the middle, but off considerably off the mark, tipped and picked. Game, set. match.

That is not how good QB's finish with a game on the line. No one is questioning his reads, his pocket presence, his desire, his moxie, but that darned arm of his simply won't cooperate and give him and the Bills any real consistency with regard to accuracy.

Sure, he was a big reason we were in the game, but he was also a big (if not bigger) factor in taking us out of the game.

Care to review his stalled drive last week ending regulation, or his stalled drives in OT? He had a bunch of opportunities, but the key completion was out of his grasp.

We like the guy, but he is nothing but a heartbreaker. He'll make it competitive, but will ultimately break your heart. Record 0 - 6 so far this year under Fitz, and wins are what matters.

Figster
11-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Fitz's understanding of the offense/what Gailey's trying to do and ability reading defenses is becoming more and more evident and can't be ignored. Its very possible this Buffalo Bills Football team can build around Ryan Fitzpatrick and become very successful, especially with a beefed up defense.

I realize Fitz's accuracy hurts us on occasion, but it will be next to impossible to match the intelligence, heart and toughness of Ryan Fitzpatirick.

bluerosekiller
11-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Very very few are saying he sucks. What is maddening is his penchant for the big mistake, the string of wildly thrown balls when the chips are on the line. A fair number of the receptions the Bills have had are due to outstanding efforts and grabs by our WR's, and not "great" throws. What Fitz does do is throw it and give the receivers a chance to make a play, unlike those vapor-brain locked predecessors (Losman and Edwards).

9:16 to go in the 4th. Bills leading 19-14 and just foreced the Bears into a 3 and out. Fitz picked off at the Bears 38 on an underthrown ball to Johnson who made a beautiful double move to get open deep. Pick returned to the Bills 23 and ultimately the Bears score the go ahead (and game winning) TD.

6:41 to go in the 4th, CJ Spiller picks up a first, then Fitz picks up a first on a sneak, and then those short to Johns on for another 1st. We're moving? Not so fast. 1st & 10 from the Bears 44, Fitz throws deep to Evans but out of bounds. Second down, under throws Nelson on a deep route where he had split the DB & Safety. Third down, Fitz Throws wildly high, but Parrish make a fabulous grab, but couldn't come down in bounds. 4th down, throws another off the mark pass to Johnson, under pressure and incomplete.

We get the ball back with 1:04 to play, Fitz hits Johnson for 16, then he hits Jones for 8, again in the middle of the field underneath the coverage. Last pass indtended for Jones again on a deep route over the middle, but off considerably off the mark, tipped and picked. Game, set. match.

That is not how good QB's finish with a game on the line. No one is questioning his reads, his pocket presence, his desire, his moxie, but that darned arm of his simply won't cooperate and give him and the Bills any real consistency with regard to accuracy.

Sure, he was a big reason we were in the game, but he was also a big (if not bigger) factor in taking us out of the game.

Care to review his stalled drive last week ending regulation, or his stalled drives in OT? He had a bunch of opportunities, but the key completion was out of his grasp.

We like the guy, but he is nothing but a heartbreaker. He'll make it competitive, but will ultimately break your heart. Record 0 - 6 so far this year under Fitz, and wins are what matters.

But, I think he can turn the corner with just a wee bit more talent surrounding him.
Seriously.
If we can just add a piece or two to the line that will buy him some time so that he's not constantly hurried under pressure, I believe he starts winning a lot more games.

The King
11-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I just think it's hilarious that drafting a Qb will automatically eliminate this stuff. People need to understand that a rookie QB will most likely be a step backwards for this team forward.

bluerosekiller
11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
That's why I'm not on the Luck bandwagon.
Hell, he very well could choose to stay in college.
I hope he does. That way everyone can stop putting their eggs all in one basket.
There ARE other QBs that we can draft to develop that will come later in the draft. I mean, look at what Colt McCoy is doing for Cleveland.
Let's get one to develop behind Fitz for a couple of years.
If it was good for Brady, Aaron Rogers, Farve, Rivers, Brees & SO many others, it can be good for whomever we might draft too.

Cleve
11-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I still am not convinced that Fitzpatrick is a starting caliber quarterback. However, a LOT of any player or coaches' individual success hinges on the overall talent of the entire team.

Look at Perry Fewell - we cut him loose, and he's looking like a defensive genius now with the Giants. I found many freshly-written sports articles today lauding his performance with the Giants. Here is just one

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/best_team_in_the_nfl_you_re_looking_32cFXo3VVPyIwgBmuNFYDN

Perry did a reasonably good job as DC with the Bills, given the table scraps of talent that Ralph Wilson Jr and Tom Modrak gave him to work with. But a team like the Giants has so much more potential than the Bills' current roster, and Fewell looks better now than he ever could have here.

If we could only meld the Fitzpatrick offense with the Fewell defense from 2009, we might have a team that could break 500 and have a shot at a wildcard berth. Alas, with 8 losses and only 8 games to go - the Bills season is effectively over in terms of playoff hopes.

Mr. Pink
11-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I just think it's hilarious that drafting a Qb will automatically eliminate this stuff. People need to understand that a rookie QB will most likely be a step backwards for this team forward.

It's impossible to go backwards from where we're heading.

Outside of the team leaving Buffalo in the offseason.

Nighthawk
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

I don't think you've ever seen Luck play...have you? The kid is the real deal. If he comes out, you WANT that kid on the Bills. If he doesn't come out, then we need to draft the best impact player on the board.

bluerosekiller
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Well sure, Luck could very well come out & be the next Peyton Manning.
But, he could also come out & be the next Ryan Leaf.

If I remember correctly from '98, there were a LOT of folks who pegged Leaf as the "SURE THING", while it was Manning who supposedly had question marks about his ability to adapt to the NFL.

Buffalo Thriller
11-08-2010, 05:44 PM
You people are not willing for a risk. He could be amazing, he could be a bust. But thats how they all go.

NOT THE DUDE...
11-08-2010, 08:00 PM
qbs are not really a sure thing in the draft, its almost a complete toss up... if fitz wins a couple games, has 28tds, 14ints, 3000yds, and 60% cmp, solid on third down. i say we draft marcell dareus... and then i would draft a ilb with the 2nd pick... our front 7 is atrocious...

Spiderweb
11-08-2010, 09:07 PM
But, I think he can turn the corner with just a wee bit more talent surrounding him.
Seriously.
If we can just add a piece or two to the line that will buy him some time so that he's not constantly hurried under pressure, I believe he starts winning a lot more games.

A bit more time, an extra piece of talent or two and Fitz will become a star? He's wildly inconsistent. Accuracy issues abound. He does have all the necessary intangible and seem very "football / QB" smart, yet his arm and mechanics take a hike far too often. The most consistent part of his game is his inconsistency and lack of accuracy in the 4th quarter with a game on the line.

At this, his receivers need to carry a ladder and a backhoe with them on their routes to have any real chance at grabbing one of his far too numerous errant throws.

Fitz is a classy competitor. So much to like, yet....

Oaf
11-08-2010, 10:23 PM

This is a smart post, I've got no disputes with anything you posted. That said, it's the team that wins the game, and with a pass rush that couldn't touch the most blitzed QB in football, a secondary with thumbs for fingers, and a special teams gaffe that turned a tie into a remaining deficit, asking a QB to [carefully] try and still win the game is a lot, and when he doesn't, due to his aggressiveness, his aggressiveness accounting for our entire day of offense, putting the loss on him doesn't make any sense.

It's the classic decision between Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Would you rather have 0 TD's and 0 INT's or 2 of each? Sure you hope Luck can throw 2 TD's with no INT's, but in the reality of the NFL, you rarely get the best of both worlds (Manning being an exception). Live by the sword, and die by it. If we had a better executing cast around him, I'd bet we'd make it out alive a lot more often than not.