PDA

View Full Version : Tim Ryan on the Bills D

Don't Panic
11-08-2010, 08:04 PM
On Moving the Chains today, I asked T-Rock who he would keep on the Bills D for the long haul. It was off the cuff, but here are the five he listed:

Byrd
Poz
McKelvin
Williams
and the one I didn't see coming.... Troup

Seeing as how he just worked the Bills game for Fox yesterday, I'm sure he had some insight. He also is in love with Fitz... couldn't get him to say a bad word about him.

Nighthawk
11-08-2010, 08:36 PM
On Moving the Chains today, I asked T-Rock who he would keep on the Bills D for the long haul. It was off the cuff, but here are the five he listed:

Byrd
Poz
McKelvin
Williams

Seeing as how he just worked the Bills game for Fox yesterday, I'm sure he had some insight. He also is in love with Fitz... couldn't get him to say a bad word about him.

He also NEVER watches the Bills games...thus he is just going off stats. Fitz is not the answer to anybody who watches the games on a weekly basis.

clumping platelets
11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
You also keep Carrington............Stevie Johnson did NOTHING his first 2 yrs. Sometimes rookies need time to develop

I would also keep Moats and Edwards

clumping platelets
11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
We DESPERATELY need speed at LB

psubills62
11-08-2010, 08:45 PM
You also keep Carrington............Stevie Johnson did NOTHING his first 2 yrs. Sometimes rookies need time to develop

Agreed, Moats has played well from what I've seen. I still think guys like Troup and Carrington were long-term picks, and weren't expected to play yet this year. Andra Davis is a guy I'd like to keep around this year, and obviously Batten deserves a chance next year.

The Warrior
11-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Byrd
Poz
McKelvin
Williams

I agree on this. Good list.

I also love Fitz but I will wait till the end of the year to fully judge him on my part. I hope he can keeps this up but again I will wait till after last game to fully judge him.

methos4ever
11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I think Ryan has a point about Fitz - he does remind you a bit of a Rich Gannon.

Does that make him the man? We'll see. Though as Pat mentioned, if you are in a spot to take a franchise qb, you take him, no questions asked.

wmoz11
11-08-2010, 09:43 PM
He also NEVER watches the Bills games...thus he is just going off stats. Fitz is not the answer to anybody who watches the games on a weekly basis.

If you've ever heard him on Moving the Chains, he goes back and watches EVERY game EVERY week.

The guy can pull out the two-deep for every position on every team, just about.

SeatownBillsFan21
11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I think Ryan has a point about Fitz - he does remind you a bit of a Rich Gannon.

Does that make him the man? We'll see. Though as Pat mentioned, if you are in a spot to take a franchise qb, you take him, no questions asked.

Rich Gannon huh.?>? I was thinking more Tyler Thigpen, from the 2nd half of the 08 season with KC thats just me tho

djjimkelly
11-09-2010, 01:03 AM
tim ryan and pat kirwan are gurus by far the most enjoyable tandem on sirius radio very knowledgeable on all fronts football

Ingtar33
11-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Rich Gannon huh.?>? I was thinking more Tyler Thigpen, from the 2nd half of the 08 season with KC thats just me tho

I was thinking John Kitna

Raptor
11-09-2010, 04:28 AM
Gotta Keep Moats, he should be starting

Don't Panic
11-09-2010, 05:59 AM

What are you his butler? I can't take you seriously if you're going to put never in caps when you have no clue what the guy does with his time. Come on Nighthawk...

I think Ryan was just speaking to guys who are a sure thing. Moats, Carrington, Batten, Edwards and even Whitner could be parts of the rebuild on D.

He also mentioned Florence as fading and made no mention of Mr. Chris Kelsay.

better days
11-09-2010, 07:35 AM
I see the comparison between Fitz & Gannon they are both smart QB's. Gannon was a mediocre QB much like Fitz until Jon Gruden coached him up. Gruden brought out the best in Gannon much like Chan is doing with Fitz.

I would like to see the Bills draft a franchise QB, but I think Fitz can be a great #2 & help menter him much more so than either Thigpen or Kitna could because of Fitz's intelligence.

justasportsfan
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Byrd is starting to make his performance last year look like the biggest fluke of the year.

Nighthawk
11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
If you've ever heard him on Moving the Chains, he goes back and watches EVERY game EVERY week.

The guy can pull out the two-deep for every position on every team, just about.

Listen to it everyday...trust me, he doesn't watch the Bills.

Lexwhat
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I have not been very impressed with McKelvin this season.

Saratoga Slim
11-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I have not been very impressed with McKelvin this season.

The secondary in general seems a little lost. I think they're having a tough time switching systems. I think the talent is there.

Beebe's Kid
11-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Byrd is starting to make his performance last year look like the biggest fluke of the year.
I was thinking about him today...he has had no chances for picks, from what I have seen.

I expected a lot more out of him this year, but with the exception of a few plays, he hasn't looked bad. I can't really blame his performance on a lack of talent, or effort, only a lack of opportunity.

He seemed to play hard on Sunday, which was nice to see. He had a few good hits, which was nice to see...not as nice to see as him flapping his wings midfield, with his second pick of a game, however...

On defense, I keep Coleman for sure.

I think that kid is going to be special.

I also keep Whitner...that is not going to be a popular opinion on this board, as he has a mark on him, but he is far from our problem. I am sure there has to be some flaming for that, but I watch the games, and the truth is, we could be doing a lot worse than Whitner...or Poz for that matter.

justasportsfan
11-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I was thinking about him today...he has had no chances for picks, from what I have seen.

I expected a lot more out of him this year, but with the exception of a few plays, he hasn't looked bad. I can't really blame his performance on a lack of talent, or effort, only a lack of opportunity.

His big thing last year is that he had a nose for the ball under the cover 2. Under this system (whatever it is) it's like he's never around the ball.

wmoz11
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
His big thing last year is that he had a nose for the ball under the cover 2. Under this system (whatever it is) it's like he's never around the ball.

We are still running mostly cover 2. Our base defense isn't the Tampa 2 anymore, though.

Nighthawk
11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I was thinking John Kitna

This is another great comparison...a guy who ripped it up, but everybody knew that he was just a product of the offense he was in. I wish some on this board would realize that this is the same thing that is going on with Fitz.

Lexwhat
11-10-2010, 12:45 AM
The secondary in general seems a little lost. I think they're having a tough time switching systems. I think the talent is there.

Although it's not a scientific observation, McKelvin seems to have gotten beat quite a few times this year. I've also seen several missed tackles in the open field. For the 9th overall pick in the draft, McKelvin is starting to feel like Whitner 2.0.

And Florence seems to be playing better than McKelvin.

Don't Panic
11-10-2010, 05:16 AM
This is another great comparison...a guy who ripped it up, but everybody knew that he was just a product of the offense he was in. I wish some on this board would realize that this is the same thing that is going on with Fitz.

Well the offense isn't going to change, so as long as Gailey is here, Fitz should have some level of success. I'm still all about QB if Luck is on the board, but if he's not, I'd be more than happy to get an elite defensive player with our 1st rounder.

TigerJ
11-10-2010, 08:29 AM

I agree: Edwards for the experience he provides in the 3-4. He's not been a huge difference maker so far, but the Bills don't have enough guys who know what they are doing in this defense, and he's one of the few. Moats and Carrington for their upside. We really have no idea if they will amount to anything or not, but both have enough athleticism to wait a while so they have a chance to mature a bit.

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
mckelvin sucks this year. he can't cover worth a ****

jamze132
11-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I wish we had Brian Cushing.

justasportsfan
11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I wish we had Brian Cushing.

he hasn't been doing much since coming back from his roids suspension :idunno:

DynaPaul
11-11-2010, 03:27 PM
On Moving the Chains today, I asked T-Rock who he would keep on the Bills D for the long haul.

I heard your call man. Thanks for calling in with a good Bills question. It was nice to finally hear them talk about another team in the league other than the Cowboys.