PDA

View Full Version : I understand the hope...

Ingtar33
11-09-2010, 02:34 AM
With no sign of hope anywhere, we have to grab on, as fans even the faintest possibility of hope... and these last few games... the offense hasn't looked this good since Bledsoe... and while losing sucks at least they aren't making our eyes bleed like they did early this year and last year

But i don't consider 0-8 anything to feel happy about.

Until this team can win some games i will not praise either nix nor gailey... thus far this team looks atrocious in 70% of the game... and i mean it. atrocious.

not bad...

atrocious. this has been an atrocity, and just because we've suddenly managed a moderate passing attack everyone is acting like we've turned a corner.

0-8

we're 23rd in passing yards per game.
we're 26th in total yards and points per game.
we're 18th in rushing yards per game.

We only think this offense is doing great because we caught the ravens off our bye and totally unprepared. It was a good game... however i wouldn't get my hopes up for it. since that game our offense has been mediocre (if slightly more competent then it was prior to the bye).

Listen, none of our holes are gone... at best the only thing you can conclude from the last few weeks is we might be able to entertain the idea of taking something other then QB if Luck isn't available in April... and even that's not guaranteed.

-calm down-

0-8

SeatownBillsFan21
11-09-2010, 02:52 AM
I agree with you 100% were are still at the end of the day 0-8 its nice to be able to covert on 3rd downs now but when we pass the 40 yd line it seems Fitz makes a bad throw or Chan calls for a pass when he should call for a run or the inexperience oline takes a bad plenty, and the drive stalls.Last year we had a decent D that got takeaways we were 3-5 at that point now we have a decent O and were 0-8.So please lets just stay the course bottom out and take the BPA weather its Luck or someone else we just cant miss when that time comes.

Yasgur's Farm
11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
:*****slap: :teary: :cry: :sadbye:

Where'd the gun in the mouth or the hang myself smileys go?

YardRat
11-09-2010, 06:09 AM
I'll hang on to any thread I can until the team moves or I die.

Doesn't mean I believe they're just a couple players away from being competitive, or turning any corners on the way to being good again just yet.

It is possible to be a realist and a devoted fan at the same time.

don137
11-09-2010, 07:03 AM
By no means will I say this is one of the better offenses in the league I will say there are some positives to take away from it. The team has scored at a much better clip with Fitzgerald than with Edwards and can be serviceable with him until they groom the next QB (hopefully Luck).
For years the Bills have needed a #2 WR. Johnson has stepped up and is really playing well. Nelson has has good potential. We are no longer looking at our WR and saying it is only Evans.
While the offense is not there yet it is headed in the right direction this year. Unfortunately, the defense has taken a big step back.

Dujek
11-09-2010, 07:32 AM

I wish I could get a breakdown on where we'd be in the first two stats without the first two weeks of the season with Edwards at QB. I guarantee that we're at least in the top half of the league in passing yards in the last 6 weeks, and well inside the top 20 in total yards and PPG.

That's why there is reason for optimism, because the team is clearly improving.

Dujek
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Fitz is 10th in YPG, so as I said, the first two weeks are pulling down the average in a big way.

Dujek
11-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Oh, and for those who like to knock our o-line, Fitz has only been sacked 12 times in 6 games.

DraftBoy
11-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Fitz is 10th in YPG, so as I said, the first two weeks are pulling down the average in a big way.

Yes but how in any way does that change what a loss is?

We could be first in every statistical category, but if our record still says 0-8 then what does it matter?

Novacane
11-09-2010, 07:38 AM
It's amazing how little it takes to please a lot of Bills fans.

hydro
11-09-2010, 07:45 AM

We could be first in every statistical category, but if our record still says 0-8 then what does it matter?
Because we know that we aren't losing by being totally inept on offense which has been our weakness for a while. We have made strides with the offense. That is something to be positive about. The season is basically over, I couldn't care less about our record.

Now yes our defense is terrible but we knew it was going to be with a scheme change.

Jan Reimers
11-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Nobody is happy losing. Nobody is happy with 0-8. There are no moral victories.

We all know all of these things. But some of us see improvement from the beginning of the year. Some of us see a young O-line getting better, with RT being the weak spot. Some of us enjoy watching the WR corps, particularly Stevie Johnson, becoming a strong unit. Or Fitz playing well. Etc.

But God forbid we mention any positives, or we get accused of accepting defeat and being satisfied with mediocrity. It's amazing.

better days
11-09-2010, 07:51 AM
0-8 or 0-16 should not make any Bills fan happy.................until Draft Day. Then we can all rejoice.

As you said the offense looks promising & it looks like the WR position is one of strength. I think the Bills still need a thumper at RB to compliment Spiller & an OT or two as well as the franchise QB.

I think it was a good move to pick up Merriman. If he has anything left he will help this team one way or another next year. He either stays & that is one less position to worry about, or the Bills get something for him if he leaves.

TedMock
11-09-2010, 08:08 AM
I agree with Ingtar here. While the team isn't completely painful to watch - they are what they are. 0-8. I think we tend to overvalue it a bit now because it looks better than it did, but it's still not good. I will say that I like the approach Nix and Gailey have taken, but they're obviously a long way from winning it's just a new and different approach. While I've been somewhat refreshed by it, it still has not proven to turn the team around. They're 0-8, and I certainly do not agree with everything they've done.

The only real positive I can cling to right now is that the mostly sub-par talent roster plays for four quarters. The Cowboys can't make the same claim. The Bills hang in there and they're obviously not quitting, but a huge chunk of the roster just isn't that talented when compared to other NFL teams. I like Fitz' attitude and toughness, but he's not that gifted. He plays a lot like a younger Brett Favre...without the arm strength or overall talent. Kudos to him for bringing his best every week, but he's not the answer. The o-line has actually played a bit better, but still needs work and I still say that Hangartner is the biggest liability there. Defense - we are in dire need of outside LB's and other things, but mostly OLB's. So many of the big chunks on the ground come from cutbacks and our OLB's getting caught pinching. So frustrating. At least they're less painful to watch, overall, though. They're still probably still 2-3 years away from actually being respected.

Mahdi
11-09-2010, 08:38 AM
With no sign of hope anywhere, we have to grab on, as fans even the faintest possibility of hope... and these last few games... the offense hasn't looked this good since Bledsoe... and while losing sucks at least they aren't making our eyes bleed like they did early this year and last year

Until this team can win some games i will not praise either nix nor gailey... thus far this team looks atrocious in 70% of the game... and i mean it. atrocious.

not bad...

atrocious. this has been an atrocity, and just because we've suddenly managed a moderate passing attack everyone is acting like we've turned a corner.

0-8

We only think this offense is doing great because we caught the ravens off our bye and totally unprepared. It was a good game... however i wouldn't get my hopes up for it. since that game our offense has been mediocre (if slightly more competent then it was prior to the bye).

Listen, none of our holes are gone... at best the only thing you can conclude from the last few weeks is we might be able to entertain the idea of taking something other then QB if Luck isn't available in April... and even that's not guaranteed.

-calm down-

0-8
Simply don't agree with anything here.

If this team was playing "atrocious" for 70% of the game as you claim they are, they would be blown out of every game.

This is the NFL, so other teams will play well on defense throughout games and on offense throughout games.

In the KC game for example I saw the Bills offense get stymied in the first half but then make some adjustments and came out in the second half with a good plan and good execution.

This team is competing in every game and if not for a few unlucky bounces they would have 3 wins by now. This is the best Bills team we have had since the Gregg Williams teams.

Our offense has an identity and can produce in the clutch, driving down the field for game tying TDs and FGs.

The problem right now is the lack of a game changing player in the front 7 that can get us ahead or even in the takeaway department and the running game needs to improve.

This team is on the way up, only looking at the record and saying there is nothing to be encouraged by is ridiculous and lacks analysis.

DraftBoy
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Because we know that we aren't losing by being totally inept on offense which has been our weakness for a while. We have made strides with the offense. That is something to be positive about. The season is basically over, I couldn't care less about our record.

Now yes our defense is terrible but we knew it was going to be with a scheme change.

That's what I would call grasping at straws, which is fine. I got no issue with it, but don't be upset when people dont go with you (plural usage) on it.

The last buffalo fan
11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Damn, I love this thread already! Please keep the objective comments coming, gentlmen! :gobills:

better days
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
That's what I would call grasping at straws, which is fine. I got no issue with it, but don't be upset when people dont go with you (plural usage) on it.

I think most Bills fans would agree with Mahdi & Hydro, but we all know there will always be some pessimists.............even when the Bills start winning there will be pessimists complaining about the manner the Bills won.

DraftBoy
11-09-2010, 11:53 AM
and the 0fer continues...

Dr. Lecter
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I definitely see some hope and change!!!

Sorry, wrong forum......

hammerbillsfan
11-09-2010, 12:03 PM
:*****slap: :teary: :cry: :sadbye:

Where'd the gun in the mouth or the hang myself smileys go?

:shoothead:

The last buffalo fan
11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
:shoothead:

get outta here!!! :mad:

TheBrownBear
11-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Since Fitz has taken over, we've basically played four of our six games on the road. Fitz has failed to break 220 yards passing in only one of those games - and that was against a very good Jets defense. The offense is improving and has been far from "mediocre" during that stretch. In fact, if you throw out the Jets game, our offense has averaged 371 yds/game under Fitzpatrick. Those are not "mediocre" numbers - that's a good NFL offense right there. Compare that with the 176 yards/game we put up in the first two weeks. Looks like real improvement to me and something every Bills fan should feel good about.

Also, other than that Jets game, we've been competitive in every single game. Sure, a loss is a loss. But we're a few breaks away from sitting at 4-4 or even 5-3 if you want to consider that NE game as a possible win. Yes, that's the difference between winners and losers in this league, but compare us to say Carolina or even Seattle, teams who aren't even close to competitive in half of their games.

Add a couple of pass rushers and a playmaking linebacker and this team will start to pile up wins.

Lexwhat
11-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Anyone can play this game. Guess this team:

Offensive Yards Gained -- 1st in the league
Defensive Yards Given Up -- 2nd in the league

What team is that? The 4-5 San Diego Chargers.

To be fair, he was just responding to Ingtar's original post in which stats were used to support a point.

I'm not a stats guy, nor do I care for them. And with a sample size of only 8 games, it's pointless to use them.

The last buffalo fan
11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't want to be 8-8 at the end of the season, I don't want to finish 0-16 either. Games have been fun to watch and that's what I'm asking for right now, I want to pick on next years draft first, second or third and that's it. With the way we have been playing plus this year draft getting some playing time and experience, add the new comers on 2011 I'm sure the will be better or will have a better talent than most of our current players, good things could happen to us next year.

Lexwhat
11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Nobody is happy losing. Nobody is happy with 0-8. There are no moral victories.

We all know all of these things. But some of us see improvement from the beginning of the year. Some of us see a young O-line getting better, with RT being the weak spot. Some of us enjoy watching the WR corps, particularly Stevie Johnson, becoming a strong unit. Or Fitz playing well. Etc.

But God forbid we mention any positives, or we get accused of accepting defeat and being satisfied with mediocrity. It's amazing.

People (not directed at Ingtar) like to ***** for the sake of *****ing. The funny this is, most people predicted 4 wins or less at the beginning of the season. And now that it's actually going to happen, they are here pulling their hair out.

Last season, the teams that finished with 4 wins or less were the Chiefs, Rams, Bucs, Lions, and Redskins. None of these teams are Superbowl contenders now, but they have all improved.

Instead of getting hopelessly blown out every game, the Bills have really stabilized themselves since the Bye Week.

DraftBoy
11-09-2010, 02:24 PM
To be fair, he was just responding to Ingtar's original post in which stats were used to support a point.

I'm not a stats guy, nor do I care for them. And with a sample size of only 8 games, it's pointless to use them.

This is true, but the point is still the same none the less.

Ingtar33
11-10-2010, 08:34 AM
I think some of you misunderstand what i was getting at...

Gailey wants to change a losing culture. Get the team to change it's ways from accepting losing everyday.

we've got 0-8 since he got here... and instead of winning now that the offense isn't embarrassing itself, we've just found more creative ways to lose...

The posts in this forum over the past few weeks (from those of you happy with this offensive output) have been positively delusional... in half of the posts you wouldn't know we're an 0-8 football team.

We're our record. the losing culture hasn't changed. I find this alarming, not encouraging. Especially when i look at what Fewell has done with the giants defense. Its looking like we would have been better off keeping Fewell as HC and hiring Gailey as our OC (i'm not saying this would have been a good idea, just a better one then hiring gailey as our HC).

I am not happy with the state of this team. nor am i willing to give them a pass just because one part of the team isn't ******edly bad.

People (not directed at Ingtar) like to ***** for the sake of *****ing. The funny this is, most people predicted 4 wins or less at the beginning of the season. And now that it's actually going to happen, they are here pulling their hair out.

Instead of getting hopelessly blown out every game, the Bills have really stabilized themselves since the Bye Week.

are you kidding me?

You're complaining that someone would be unhappy with 0-8 because... "Instead of getting hopelessly blown out every game, the Bills have really stabilized themselves since the Bye Week."

I am speechless. This is like saying i shouldn't be unhappy with getting my ass kicked by the big neighborhood bully every day because i'm putting up a slightly better fight. are you ****** kidding me?

hydro
11-10-2010, 08:39 AM
I think some of you misunderstand what i was getting at...

Gailey wants to change a losing culture. Get the team to change it's ways from accepting losing everyday.

we've got 0-8 since he got here... and instead of winning now that the offense isn't embarrassing itself, we've just found more creative ways to lose...

The posts in this forum over the past few weeks (from those of you happy with this offensive output) have been positively delusional... in half of the posts you wouldn't know we're an 0-8 football team.

We're our record. the losing culture hasn't changed. I find this alarming, not encouraging. Especially when i look at what Fewell has done with the giants defense. Its looking like we would have been better off keeping Fewell as HC and hiring Gailey as our OC (i'm not saying this would have been a good idea, just a better one then hiring gailey as our HC).

I am not happy with the state of this team. nor am i willing to give them a pass just because one part of the team isn't ******edly bad.

Now after all of that, what does this mind set accomplish? Other than making you want the season to just end. I think we will win a few games and get rid of that dreaded "losing culture". If these guys were really held back by a losing culture we would see it on the field with lack of effort and urgency. I don't see that. I just see a lack of experience and talent. We aren't going to be able to fix that this season. It is going to take a while.

stuckincincy
11-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Oh, and for those who like to knock our o-line, Fitz has only been sacked 12 times in 6 games.

My impression is that sacks are down across the league. The new rule changes about hits? I've noticed some pretty cheesy roughing-the-passer calls. Dunno...

Lexwhat
11-10-2010, 04:31 PM
are you kidding me?

You're complaining that someone would be unhappy with 0-8 because... "Instead of getting hopelessly blown out every game, the Bills have really stabilized themselves since the Bye Week."

I am speechless. This is like saying i shouldn't be unhappy with getting my ass kicked by the big neighborhood bully every day because i'm putting up a slightly better fight. are you ****** kidding me?

First of all, there's not a sane person on these boards that said we were going to the playoffs this year. Those "realists" who said we wouldn't win many games this season like to constantly ***** anyway. Other than them wanting to be drama queens, what's the point??

I knew we wouldn't win many games this year, which is why I'm not throwin a fit every Sunday. Look at this roster. We have no Offensive Tackles, no OLBs, no developed Nose Tackles, no Tight End, and no legitimate starting QB. A team this bad is not getting better in one season. Even Ralph Wilson admitted it.

I never said you (or anyone else) should be "happy" with this season's team. My point was that I would rather have a talentless team that fights hard every game as opposed to a talentless (or talented) team filled with selfish players that give up.

Remember last season's team? Almost everyone quit on Jauron.

Surprisingly, we've actually gotten more and more competitive as the season has progressed, and that's a good thing.

bf1
11-10-2010, 05:40 PM
The team should fire Nix and put that mistake behind them.

Extremebillsfan247
11-10-2010, 05:50 PM

not bad...

0-8

-calm down-

0-8

So the point is what exactly? that you understand hope? or is it that your trying to sway people into having no hope at all? It's not a bad read except for the fact that it is pretty vague as to the point of it all. Just asking for a little clarification so I don't get the wrong impression here. lol

Ingtar33
11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
So the point is what exactly? that you understand hope? or is it that your trying to sway people into having no hope at all? It's not a bad read except for the fact that it is pretty vague as to the point of it all. Just asking for a little clarification so I don't get the wrong impression here. lol

I have no hope for the future right now... and am getting annoyed that so called fans are happy with how things are "progressing" in this debacle of a season.

it's that type of mindset that will probably lead to to this fan base patiently waiting 3 more years of sub 500 football before finally deciding that nix and gailey don't know what they're doing.

If i sound angry, *****y or pissed, it's because i am. i've watched a team i bleed red-white nd blue for, become a joke and completely irrelevant. I hate not getting up or down on sunday. I hate that i find other teams more interesting to watch. This is a horrible state of afairs and i don't like it... nor do i want to see people "enjoy" losing because we're "putting up points" and the team is "entertaining".

you either win or lose. period. i can't stomach moral victories, because that's the type of thing losers console themselves with while the winner wins the homecoming game, ****s your gf and gets a scholarship to alabama.

You might like being the loser with the empty bed and trying to walk onto Baylor with your moral victory, but i don't want anything to do with that crap. I want to win, i want to be relevant, and i'm seeing none of that this year. which makes this another wasted and lost season in a decade of it.

better days
11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I have no hope for the future right now... and am getting annoyed that so called fans are happy with how things are "progressing" in this debacle of a season.

it's that type of mindset that will probably lead to to this fan base patiently waiting 3 more years of sub 500 football before finally deciding that nix and gailey don't know what they're doing.

If i sound angry, *****y or pissed, it's because i am. i've watched a team i bleed red-white nd blue for, become a joke and completely irrelevant. I hate not getting up or down on sunday. I hate that i find other teams more interesting to watch. This is a horrible state of afairs and i don't like it... nor do i want to see people "enjoy" losing because we're "putting up points" and the team is "entertaining".

you either win or lose. period. i can't stomach moral victories, because that's the type of thing losers console themselves with while the winner wins the homecoming game, ****s your gf and gets a scholarship to alabama.

You might like being the loser with the empty bed and trying to walk onto Baylor with your moral victory, but i don't want anything to do with that crap. I want to win, i want to be relevant, and i'm seeing none of that this year. which makes this another wasted and lost season in a decade of it.

I have been more entertained by the last 3 losses, than by all of the wins Jauron had with the Bills.

The games the Bills won with Jauron were the most boring wins in NFL history.