PDA

View Full Version : Cowherd says Bills won't go to LA

Beebe's Kid
11-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Collin is going on about how LA is getting a team, and saying how great it is.

He hadn't mentioned Buffalo, until a caller did...he poo-poo'd the whole thing. He said Buffalo fans are great, and that you don't take a team away from a small market that is trying.

Jacksonville, in his opinion, is the clear choice. Small market, and apathetic.

It was funny when the caller, who was a Bills fan, started the usual paranoid rambling about the area and the team...Collin Cowherd, of all people, said the area, the fans, the team were great. He said taking the team would just be putting the screws to the area, and that's not what it's about, especially when there are clearly better options out there.

Thought it was interesting, especially since I can't stand Cowherd and had him on when I usually turn him off.

T-Long
11-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah, there is no way they move the Bills to LA, especially when you have a franchise like Jacksonville who would be a much better fit considering they can't ever get fans there even when they are good

RockStar36
11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
This is exactly why I get pissed when people joke about Buffalo moving. They are doing it out of pure ignorance. Jacksonville is so bad for the NFL. They can't even sell out a stadium that is already tarped off to make it appear smaller. It's pathetic.

This whole LA thing is crazy though. Oakland and San Diego can't even sell games out now. I don't see how LA succeeds.

Pinkerton Security
11-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Interesting...Cowherd usually craps on the Bills whenever he can. However, he also changes his mind all the time so I wouldnt be totally surprised if next week he declares the Bills should move there.

justasportsfan
11-16-2010, 10:54 AM
IMO,Jacksonville and San Diego would be moved first before the bills

RockStar36
11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Minnesota is on the table as well. They have a stadium situation that hasn't been solved yet.

Jersey1031
11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
cowherd is my favorite sports personality, bar none. he says it how it is, and i agree with 95% of his banter

DraftBoy
11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
The one thing about Cowherd is that he actually cares about the fans.

Don't get me wrong he's an egotistical blowhard, but he is not willing to screw over the fans for the sport.

Coach Sal
11-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Interesting...Cowherd usually craps on the Bills whenever he can.....

But he usually talks well about the city of Buffalo.

Especially when it comes to supporting teams like the Bills and especially the Sabres.

He'll take his shots now and then, but usually says nice things about the area and its fans.

Pinkerton Security
11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
cowherd is my favorite sports personality, bar none. he says it how it is, and i agree with 95% of his banter

he may often "say it how it is" but he also often changes his mind because what he was saying before has become accepted...his job is to entertain people and stir up emotions in people so Im not saying he's wrong to do so, I just get sick of hearing him change his mind so frequently and simply take the somewhat controversial side of the argument for the sake of riling up his listeners...i went from listening to him every day to now listening to him once or twice a week max.

OpIv37
11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
All you people who say Jacksonville will move before Buffalo need to Google the details of Jacksonville's stadium lease.

it will be VERY expensive to break.

Meanwhile, Buffalo's lease expires after 2012, so it's an expense that LA wouldn't have to deal with.

Yes, Buffalo supports their team more than Jacksonville does, but that's not nearly as important as the bottom line.

wmoz11
11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Oakland or SD will go before even Jacksonville because of logistics.

SD fans are almost as pathetic as Jags fans, IMO. The team is perenially great in the regular season but still hardly sell-out.

ddaryl
11-16-2010, 11:35 AM
It all comes down to Ralph selling the team and whomever pays the biggest price...

the new owner gets to decide basically...

YardRat
11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
LA doesn't deserve a team, and once again won't be able to support one at the gate, but it's more about advertising revenue than ticket sales and the NFL wants back into the big market.

If life were fair, Jacksonville would fill the void.
If it's about common sense, California already has enough teams and San Diego or Oakland would move there.
But it isn't either...it's about money, and that factor alone keeps Buffalo a player until details involving keeping the team here are revealed.

G Wolly
11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Los Angeles had two shots at it.

Fool me once...

better days
11-16-2010, 06:08 PM
All you people who say Jacksonville will move before Buffalo need to Google the details of Jacksonville's stadium lease.

it will be VERY expensive to break.

Meanwhile, Buffalo's lease expires after 2012, so it's an expense that LA wouldn't have to deal with.

Yes, Buffalo supports their team more than Jacksonville does, but that's not nearly as important as the bottom line.

OK tell us how expensive the Jax lease will be to break, & when does it come down to a reasonable figure.

Electrici
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I like cowherd, he usually just makes fun of Buffalo for being too into hockey. I remember him talking about how Sabres fan's are nuts when it comes to "joe schmoe" getting called up from the AHL. Literally no one in the world cares, but its a big deal in Buffalo. Which, from my experience, is the truth.

Other than that he's usually calling the Bills and Raiders the perennial dumpster fire of the NFL. Which, again, is hard point to argue. Maybe not this year since Oakland is doing alright.. but the Bills........

Beebe's Kid
11-16-2010, 10:08 PM
LA doesn't deserve a team, and once again won't be able to support one at the gate, but it's more about advertising revenue than ticket sales and the NFL wants back into the big market.

If life were fair, Jacksonville would fill the void.
If it's about common sense, California already has enough teams and San Diego or Oakland would move there.
But it isn't either...it's about money, and that factor alone keeps Buffalo a player until details involving keeping the team here are revealed.

Apparently the LA market is huge for the NFL, which isn't unbelievable, since the LA market is huge.

Cowherd was contending that it is a new NFL, and that the changes in the game, and the league, since the Raiders and Rams left would make it a success.

Forgive me for not remembering who it was he had on the show talking about it, but they were in accord. They said that stadium location will be a big part of it, as well. The new stadium will be downtown...near the Staples Center.

I don't know much about LA...I have been a lot of places, and avoided LA on purpose. My friends that live there seem to like it, but they say there isn't much of a "downtown" so to speak.

Cowherd was also sticking to the fact that the Raiders were never LA's team, but rather always belonged to Oakland....to me they seem like a team without a home. There are a bunch of diehard Raider fans, but none...and I mean none, seem to care where they play. That is, obviously, in large part to my residing in the rust belt, but from what I took away from some time in SF is that they don't care to acknowledge Oakland. Unfortunately, I did ask...I always do when I am in these markets, just to get a feel for it.

Cowherd did mention San Diego as a possibility, due to the city being bankrupt.

Worth noting, I felt, was that he didn't bring up Buffalo...it was a paranoid caller from WNY. The caller started rattling off all of the "legit" reasons that the Bills were on their way out, and Cowherd was very dismissive. Fan support was his main argument. He did state all of the trivial things that fans feel is a reason to move, like FA's not wanting to come here etc, but said that was a temporary issue, and one that we can solve...and of course he pointed to Green Bay.

Look, I admit, the fact that the team could move has been a fear of mine forever...it's part of being a Bills fan. I, however, am starting to see the paranoid delusion that is part of being a Bills fan too. The NFL has a fan base that won't die, and we are good for the league. Let the paranoia ensue, but the failure of 2 teams in LA, a team in the "heaven on earth," some consider San Diego, the Jags, the Panthers, etc etc etc... When other teams struggle, they don't sell anywhere near the tickets we do. The area is heavily populated, and I am sure a lot of DirecTV subscriptions are sold here, we probably sell more merch than a lot of teams, I know I do my part.

I just found it interesting with all of the doom and gloom amongst us, when it was brought up, nationally, on a show that was declaring "LA WILL have a team," that the chances of us moving were poo-poo'd.

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2010, 10:51 PM
i am so sick of idiot bills fans that really believe the bills are going to move. it's not going to happen. new york state knows that this area couldn't afford to let the team move. let alone how much it would cost a new owner to move them. not happening people, put down the guns.

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 07:22 AM
OK tell us how expensive the Jax lease will be to break, & when does it come down to a reasonable figure.

Since you're too lazy to Google:

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/122902/jag_11340226.shtml

According to that article, the Jags would have to prove they money for 3 consecutive seasons, then STILL pay $60 million to get out of the lease.

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 07:24 AM
i am so sick of idiot bills fans that really believe the bills are going to move. it's not going to happen. new york state knows that this area couldn't afford to let the team move. let alone how much it would cost a new owner to move them. not happening people, put down the guns.

Unfortunately NYS doesn't have jurisdiction over the NFL. And NYS doesn't have the money required to keep a team here. I'm sure Jim Kelly and NYS WANT to keep the team here, but wanting to do something and having the means to do it are two different things.

And if the new owner has $850 million to buy the team, the few extra million it takes to move the team won't be a deterrent.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
This is exactly why I get pissed when people joke about Buffalo moving. They are doing it out of pure ignorance. Jacksonville is so bad for the NFL. They can't even sell out a stadium that is already tarped off to make it appear smaller. It's pathetic.

This whole LA thing is crazy though. Oakland and San Diego can't even sell games out now. I don't see how LA succeeds.
Because the stadium will have mega boxes that corporations will pay out the ass for. That is how they will succeed.

better days
11-17-2010, 07:55 AM

According to that article, the Jags would have to prove they money for 3 consecutive seasons, then STILL pay $60 million to get out of the lease.

That article is from 2002. It will soon be 2011. I'm pretty sure by the time a stadium is built in LA, if would be feasible to move the Jags there.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately NYS doesn't have jurisdiction over the NFL. And NYS doesn't have the money required to keep a team here. I'm sure Jim Kelly and NYS WANT to keep the team here, but wanting to do something and having the means to do it are two different things.

And if the new owner has $850 million to buy the team, the few extra million it takes to move the team won't be a deterrent.
This is not quite true. The state has tons of money to allocate to different projects. I see on the news grants are given for various different projects around the state for hundreds of millions of dollars. To say the state is broke and doesn't have money is not entirely true. They have the money but would need public opinion to allocate it.

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 08:02 AM
That article is from 2002. It will soon be 2011. I'm pretty sure by the time a stadium is built in LA, if would be feasible to move the Jags there.

Don't bet on it-

here's one from a year ago that says it's STILL $50 million

http://www.laobserved.com/intell/2009/10/la_football_stadium_approved.php

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 08:03 AM
This is not quite true. The state has tons of money to allocate to different projects. I see on the news grants are given for various different projects around the state for hundreds of millions of dollars. To say the state is broke and doesn't have money is not entirely true. They have the money but would need public opinion to allocate it.

and that's the kicker right there. In a highly-taxed state with well-publicized financial problems, forking over a few hundred million for a sports stadium isn't going to go over too well. No politician in their right mind would do it.

better days
11-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Don't bet on it-

here's one from a year ago that says it's STILL $50 million

http://www.laobserved.com/intell/2009/10/la_football_stadium_approved.php

Well that article is about the Roski, City of industry stadium plan which appears to be dead. I think it will be a very long time before a new stadium is built in LA myself.

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Well that article is about the Roski, City of industry stadium plan which appears to be dead. I think it will be a very long time before a new stadium is built in LA myself.

I hope so.

Fewer greener pastures increases the likelihood that the Bills will renew the stadium lease after 2012 and remain in Buffalo for a while longer.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
and that's the kicker right there. In a highly-taxed state with well-publicized financial problems, forking over a few hundred million for a sports stadium isn't going to go over too well. No politician in their right mind would do it.
Where won't it go over well? It would be the most highly public backed project in Buffalo history!!!! Sure there would be some in the area against it but I guarantee the majority would be for it.

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Where won't it go over well? It would be the most highly public backed project in Buffalo history!!!! Sure there would be some in the area against it but I guarantee the majority would be for it.

The problem is that there are 18+ million people who live in NYS but DON'T live in Buffalo.

In order for state funding to be approved, politicians from those areas are going to have to approve the new stadium too. You really think a politician from a poor neighborhood in the Bronx is going to vote to spend millions on a football stadium- or even just to keep the team- 400 miles away when his community is struggling? It's not gonna happen.

Dozerdog
11-17-2010, 09:01 AM

While $60 million sounds like a lot- all it does is reduce the value of a team by $60 million.

Take a look at some of the recent values placed on franchises

Take $100 million off of Jacksonville to use as a lease breaking war chest and the franchise is still $100 million or more than the Boston Red Sox

Once the team is in LA and if it's successful, it could easily appreciate to the $750 mill -1 Billion range.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/forbes.html
<table id="inlinetable" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="500"><tbody><tr valign="top"><th colspan="4" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" align="center">FORBES FRANCHISE VALUES</th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td>Team</td> <td>League</td> <td>Owner</td> <td width="80">Value</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="inlinetable" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="500"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td bgcolor="#ffffff">Washington Redskins </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Daniel Snyder </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $1.1 billion </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Dallas Cowboys </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jerry Jones </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $923 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Houston Texans </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Robert McNair </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $905 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New England Patriots </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Robert Kraft </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $861 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Philadelphia Eagles </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jeffrey Lurie </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $833 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Denver Broncos </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Pat Bowlen </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $815 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Cleveland Browns </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Randy Lerner </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $798 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Chicago Bears </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> McCaskey Family </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $785 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Tampa Bay Buccaneers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Malcolm Glazer </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $779 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Baltimore Ravens </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Steve Bisciotti </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $776 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Miami Dolphins </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Wayne Huizenga </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $765 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Carolina Panthers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jerry Richardson </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $760 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Green Bay Packers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Public </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $756 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Detroit Lions </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> William Ford </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $747 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Tennessee Titans </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Bud Adams </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $736 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Yankees </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> George Steinbrenner </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $730 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Pittsburgh Steelers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Dan Rooney </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $717 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Seattle Seahawks </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Paul Allen </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $712 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Kansas City Chiefs </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Lamar Hunt </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $709 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> St. Louis Rams </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Georgia Frontiere </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $708 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Giants </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> W. Mara/P. Tisch </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $692 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jacksonville Jaguars </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Wayne Weaver </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $688 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Jets </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Woody Johnson </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $685 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Cincinnati Bengals </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Mike Brown </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $675 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Buffalo Bills </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Ralph Wilson Jr. </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $637 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> San Francisco 49ers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Denise DeBartolo York </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $636 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New Orleans Saints </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Tom Benson </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $627 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Oakland Raiders </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Al Davis </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $624 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> San Diego Chargers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Alex Spanos </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $622 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Indianapolis Colts </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jim Irsay </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $609 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Minnesota Vikings </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Red McCombs </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $604 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Atlanta Falcons </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Arthur Blank </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $603 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Arizona Cardinals </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Bill Bidwell </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $552 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Mets </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Fred Wilpon </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $482 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Los Angeles Lakers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NBA </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jerry Buss </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $447 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Los Angeles Dodgers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> News Corp. </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $435 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Boston Red Sox </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> John Henry </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $426 million</td></tr></tbody></table>

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 09:16 AM
The problem is that there are 18+ million people who live in NYS but DON'T live in Buffalo.

In order for state funding to be approved, politicians from those areas are going to have to approve the new stadium too. You really think a politician from a poor neighborhood in the Bronx is going to vote to spend millions on a football stadium- or even just to keep the team- 400 miles away when his community is struggling? It's not gonna happen.
Yep there is the rub....

Dujek
11-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Peter King was fairly certain that the NFL was looking to move one of the existing California teams, specifically Oakland or San Diego, to LA rather than move a team across the country.

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 09:32 AM
While $60 million sounds like a lot- all it does is reduce the value of a team by $60 million.

Take a look at some of the recent values placed on franchises

Take $100 million off of Jacksonville to use as a lease breaking war chest and the franchise is still $100 million or more than the Boston Red Sox

Once the team is in LA and if it's successful, it could easily appreciate to the $750 mill -1 Billion range.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/forbes.html
<table id="inlinetable" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="500"><tbody><tr valign="top"><th colspan="4" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" align="center">FORBES FRANCHISE VALUES</th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td>Team</td> <td>League</td> <td>Owner</td> <td width="80">Value</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="inlinetable" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="500"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td bgcolor="#ffffff">Washington Redskins </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Daniel Snyder </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $1.1 billion </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Dallas Cowboys </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jerry Jones </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $923 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Houston Texans </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Robert McNair </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $905 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New England Patriots </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Robert Kraft </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $861 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Philadelphia Eagles </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jeffrey Lurie </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $833 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Denver Broncos </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Pat Bowlen </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $815 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Cleveland Browns </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Randy Lerner </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $798 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Chicago Bears </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> McCaskey Family </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $785 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Tampa Bay Buccaneers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Malcolm Glazer </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $779 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Baltimore Ravens </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Steve Bisciotti </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $776 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Miami Dolphins </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Wayne Huizenga </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $765 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Carolina Panthers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jerry Richardson </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $760 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Green Bay Packers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Public </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $756 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Detroit Lions </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> William Ford </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $747 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Tennessee Titans </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Bud Adams </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $736 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Yankees </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> George Steinbrenner </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $730 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Pittsburgh Steelers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Dan Rooney </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $717 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Seattle Seahawks </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Paul Allen </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $712 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Kansas City Chiefs </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Lamar Hunt </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $709 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> St. Louis Rams </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Georgia Frontiere </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $708 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Giants </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> W. Mara/P. Tisch </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $692 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jacksonville Jaguars </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Wayne Weaver </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $688 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Jets </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Woody Johnson </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $685 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Cincinnati Bengals </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Mike Brown </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $675 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Buffalo Bills </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Ralph Wilson Jr. </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $637 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> San Francisco 49ers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Denise DeBartolo York </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $636 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New Orleans Saints </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Tom Benson </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $627 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Oakland Raiders </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Al Davis </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $624 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> San Diego Chargers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Alex Spanos </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $622 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Indianapolis Colts </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jim Irsay </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $609 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Minnesota Vikings </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Red McCombs </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $604 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Atlanta Falcons </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Arthur Blank </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $603 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Arizona Cardinals </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NFL </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Bill Bidwell </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $552 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> New York Mets </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Fred Wilpon </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $482 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Los Angeles Lakers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> NBA </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Jerry Buss </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $447 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Los Angeles Dodgers </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> News Corp. </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $435 million </td> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Boston Red Sox </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> MLB </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> John Henry </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="80"> $426 million</td></tr></tbody></table>

That's assuming the ownership group has $100 million to sit on while they wait for the team to become profitable and increase in value.

As a side note, it's shocking that mediocre NFL franchises like Denver, Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Detroit are worth more than the Yankees, who are the best team in baseball and arguably the best known sports team in the world.

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Peter King was fairly certain that the NFL was looking to move one of the existing California teams, specifically Oakland or San Diego, to LA rather than move a team across the country.

San Diego would make a lot of sense. They don't sell out, and LA is close enough to attract the same luxury box owners and die hard fans while bringing the huge LA market into the mix. It would also avoid the issue of competing with the Chargers, who already struggle to sell tickets even when they're winning.

But, again, fan support isn't the bottom line. The LA/SD area is big and rich enough to support two teams.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 11:07 AM

Yes because realignment will be a ***** if they move Jacksonville or Buffalo over there, basically.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Anyone who thinks NYS really cares if the Bills stay in Buffalo or not are dreaming.

Pinkerton Security
11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Anyone who thinks NYS really cares if the Bills stay in Buffalo or not are dreaming.

yeah because the state doesnt care about Buffalo and its economy as a whole taking another hit....they'll probably just let the city die right?

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 11:21 AM
yeah because the state doesnt care about Buffalo and its economy as a whole taking another hit....they'll probably just let the city die right?

The local economy would take a very limited hit if the Bills were to leave.

It would only effect those people who are employed by the team.

Why would the city die if there were no Buffalo Bills?

Did the state care when the Braves left?

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't agree with that entirely. To a point I understand but elected officials need votes. The ones from our area would take a huge hit if the Bills left. The ones in NYC and downstate could probably care less.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 12:18 PM
The local economy would take a very limited hit if the Bills were to leave.

It would only effect those people who are employed by the team.

Why would the city die if there were no Buffalo Bills?

Did the state care when the Braves left?
Supply the research you have done to support this assumption. I don't think it would be catastrophic but would have more than a limited impact. It would affect more than just those employed by the team.

City wouldn't die of course.

The Braves left when it was a different world. They left before professional sports was Big Business.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Supply the research you have done to support this assumption. I don't think it would be catastrophic but would have more than a limited impact. It would affect more than just those employed by the team.

City wouldn't die of course.

The Braves left when it was a different world. They left before professional sports was Big Business.

Cleveland didn't "die" when the Browns left.

A sports team leaving would have literally no impact on the local economy.

What are people going to move out of town because there is no football team anymore?

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Cleveland didn't "die" when the Browns left.

A sports team leaving would have literally no impact on the local economy.

What are people going to move out of town because there is no football team anymore?
Well to be fair the team wasn't gone for a long period of time before they received a new team.

I don't agree. You can't prove me wrong because you don't have any research.

Short answer I know some people that not having the Bills would play into their decision to stay or go.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Well to be fair the team wasn't gone for a long period of time before they received a new team.

I don't agree. You can't prove me wrong because you don't have any research.

Short answer I know some people that not having the Bills would play into their decision to stay or go.

Did Baltimore "die" when the Colts left?

Houston "die" when the Oilers left?

People, if of sane mind, aren't going to leave their family, friends and job behind because a football team moved.

better days
11-17-2010, 01:53 PM

People, if of sane mind, aren't going to leave their family, friends and job behind because a football team moved.

I think it depends on how you define die. I know there are many people in Baltimore that still wish the Colts were there even though they have a very good team in the Ravens, & I'm sure there are people that would rather see the Oilers in Houston than the Texans.

When a City loses an NFL team, it rips the heart out of that City, so I guess it can be said the City died with the move.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 02:57 PM

No and I agree the city won't "DIE" but it doesn't mean there will be no economic impact. I am sure there was economic impact felt in all the cities you mention that lost teams.

No they aren't going to pick up and move at the drop of a hat because a team leaves. However it could play into a decision. One less draw for the area. If you are a huge Bills fan like myself and the team leaves and an offer arises outside the area, when weighing options not having the team certainly can come into play.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
No and I agree the city won't "DIE" but it doesn't mean there will be no economic impact. I am sure there was economic impact felt in all the cities you mention that lost teams.

No they aren't going to pick up and move at the drop of a hat because a team leaves. However it could play into a decision. One less draw for the area. If you are a huge Bills fan like myself and the team leaves and an offer arises outside the area, when weighing options not having the team certainly can come into play.

Corey, would the Bills really come into play?

The only thing that should come into play is is the area I'm going into nice and a good place to raise a family and am I getting enough of a raise to leave friends and family behind.

The thought of the Bills, Sabres, Bandits, Bisons, etc should never enter into the equation.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
fty. yes, for thurm, it's apparent that it would into play. for me, it was also come into play. if the bills moved it would be one less reason for me to stay in this over taxed area. i'll just move to north east pennsylvania and be done with it. hockey sucks so if the sabres moved i wouldn't care. the bills on the otherhand? i might consider organizing a mass suicide. that's how depressed i would be. my life revolves around the bills. if anything is going on sunday, i sure as **** won't be doing a damn thing if the bills are playing. call it what you want but i am a fanatic.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 04:15 PM
fty. yes, for thurm, it's apparent that it would into play. for me, it was also come into play. if the bills moved it would be one less reason for me to stay in this over taxed area. i'll just move to north east pennsylvania and be done with it. hockey sucks so if the sabres moved i wouldn't care. the bills on the otherhand? i might consider going organizing a mass suicide. that's how depressed i would be.

No offense but to uproot your entire life or even say something about suicide because a sports team moves is completely idiotic.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Corey, would the Bills really come into play?

The only thing that should come into play is is the area I'm going into nice and a good place to raise a family and am I getting enough of a raise to leave friends and family behind.

The thought of the Bills, Sabres, Bandits, Bisons, etc should never enter into the equation.
Who are you to say what plays into a person's decision on where to live? I can honestly say I have had opportunities to move to Florida, and Vegas and of course family and friends were first on the list but leisure activities and area draws definitely came into play as reasons not to move. I am a simple man with simple wants and needs.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 04:16 PM
fty. yes, for thurm, it's apparent that it would into play. for me, it was also come into play. if the bills moved it would be one less reason for me to stay in this over taxed area. i'll just move to north east pennsylvania and be done with it. hockey sucks so if the sabres moved i wouldn't care. the bills on the otherhand? i might consider organizing a mass suicide. that's how depressed i would be.
Exactly.

THATHURMANATOR
11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
No offense but to uproot your entire life or even say something about suicide because a sports team moves is completely idiotic.
Tom I think he was over exaggerating.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Tom I think he was over exaggerating.

Corey, suicide is nothing to exaggerate or joke about.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
obviously i was being over dramatic but the cool people get what i'm saying.

TMu11
11-18-2010, 05:22 AM
If the Bills left, taxes would go down at least... or at least they should

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2010, 08:55 AM
obviously i was being over dramatic but the cool people get what i'm saying.
:bf1:

trapezeus
11-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Politicians also know that the entire western new york area would abandon them if the bills left on their watch.

I think the realignment would be a big concern. an LA bills team playing the pats, the jets and miami on the east coast would seriously screw that team.

I think a team in LA is a disaster waiting to happen. they'll get the revenues with box sales, but box sales are beginning to annoy me to no end.

high priced suites that are removed from the sound of the game with reinforced glass. companies firing people but paying for a box that most likely get used by guys who could have afforded seats anyways. that's a disgrace. and then you go to some games and the suites are open and under used. so its literally money companies piss away but could pay a salary to a few employees to keep them on the payroll.

Pathetic.

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Politicians also know that the entire western new york area would abandon them if the bills left on their watch.

I think the realignment would be a big concern. an LA bills team playing the pats, the jets and miami on the east coast would seriously screw that team.

I think a team in LA is a disaster waiting to happen. they'll get the revenues with box sales, but box sales are beginning to annoy me to no end.

high priced suites that are removed from the sound of the game with reinforced glass. companies firing people but paying for a box that most likely get used by guys who could have afforded seats anyways. that's a disgrace. and then you go to some games and the suites are open and under used. so its literally money companies piss away but could pay a salary to a few employees to keep them on the payroll.

Pathetic.
This is exactly right

You wouldn't believe the suite tickets flying aroung my office unused for all the boxes the vendors like Microsoft, HP, Cisco, IBM etc purchase for Bills and Sabres games. I could probably go to every game for free if I wanted.

Beebe's Kid
11-18-2010, 10:07 AM
This is exactly right

You wouldn't believe the suite tickets flying aroung my office unused for all the boxes the vendors like Microsoft, HP, Cisco, IBM etc purchase for Bills and Sabres games. I could probably go to every game for free if I wanted.

I know people that act like these boxes are awesome...I guess I am low rent, because I would rather sit with the unwashed masses. I looked into on of the clubs at the Ralph, and when I got the facts on the seats, I wasn't even interested.

Joe Fo Sho
11-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Right out of College, I got 2 job offers, 1 was in Buffalo. The Bills played a bigger factor than you might think in my decision for where to work. Long story short, the Buffalo job was my first choice but it took them too long to get the contract they needed to make a hire and I took the other job. Worst mistake of my life.

k-oneputt
11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I've sat all over that stadium and I much prefer sitting with the masses in the lower bowl.
You might as well stay home on your couch if your gonna sit in a box.

k-oneputt
11-18-2010, 10:16 AM
FunTimesYay you should know as well as anybody what happened to Cleveland when the Browns left. That city was crushed. Take Lebron and multiply by 100.

better days
11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
If the Bills left, taxes would go down at least... or at least they should

Why would they? The Bills & their emloyees pay a lot of taxes.

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I know people that act like these boxes are awesome...I guess I am low rent, because I would rather sit with the unwashed masses. I looked into on of the clubs at the Ralph, and when I got the facts on the seats, I wasn't even interested.
Well for Sabres games they really are awesome because you still are a part of the action and generally they are catored with food and beer.

Bills games are catored but I need to be in the endzone cheering my fat face off.

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Right out of College, I got 2 job offers, 1 was in Buffalo. The Bills played a bigger factor than you might think in my decision for where to work. Long story short, the Buffalo job was my first choice but it took them too long to get the contract they needed to make a hire and I took the other job. Worst mistake of my life.
I understand completely.

Bills home games are the 8 and now 7 most fun days of the year. I have a great time even when the team sucks. I also greatly enjoy gathering with friends and family to watch the other 8 away games. That is 16 weeks out of 52 that Bills give me great enjoyment(heartache). Isn't as small a thing as YaY makes it out to be. Sure not the main reason for living or moving but not a minute reason.

Typ0
11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I just can never understand how so many people can be oblivious to the fact that the first team to go to LA is going to be the first team to go up for sale.

justasportsfan
11-18-2010, 12:54 PM
but it doesn't mean there will be no economic impact. I am sure there was economic impact felt in all the cities you mention that lost teams.

these are old nos from 1996 ..... scroll down to page 5.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:nZauj5ygD1IJ:develop.wikispaces.com/file/view/sports%2Bsubsidies%2Bissue%2Bfact%2Bsheet%2Bfinal.doc+buffalo+bills+economy+impact+on+the+cuty&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiQzo_HNqzouNhbM62pjuu9MPqxJEj7HPXTwP43fOfOTq7yAKX3DgHjUjufgGKQkGbCvQ0dBaTBqOk2a4ZOdNoRoxkZZlD9j1UglOxXUQxb4-eh0eRoZIQjM4n1-8RufFeltqBS&sig=AHIEtbT9hoJviHpKwSPqwTxn-fBUElu7RA

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I just can never understand how so many people can be oblivious to the fact that the first team to go to LA is going to be the first team to go up for sale.
You have not way of knowing that for sure... Although you are probably right.

BertSquirtgum
11-18-2010, 02:01 PM
the bills are staying in buffalo. **** anyone in the A who believes otherwise.

THATHURMANATOR
11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
the bills are staying in buffalo. **** anyone in the A who believes otherwise.
AMMMMEN!!! :hi5: