X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Rivet to retire mid-season?

On ESPN.com rumors they had this article, not sure how much I can post of it (if this is wrong, can a mod fix it):

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Craig Rivet's tenure with the Buffalo Sabres is likely coming to an end. It's only a matter of when and how.

This season has been a disaster for the Sabres' captain. Averaging under 16 minutes per game, Rivet has only a single point (an assist) through 12 contests. The 36-year-old was made a healthy scratch for two games at the end of October and has missed the past three while battling either the flu or food poisoning. It hasn't been pretty.

Rivet actually contemplated retirement over the summer. By all accounts at present, he made the wrong decision in choosing to skate another season.

So what now? It's not often a team captain decides to toss in his skates midway through the season. In this case, we anticipate the Sabres will (quietly) ask Rivet to give up the captaincy. An announcement of retirement should follow a short time later. It would come as a surprise if the veteran defenseman was still skating for the team in March.
  • Electrici
    • May 2003

Re: Rivet to retire mid-season?

I'm fine with it either way, as long as Roy is never captain of the team.

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

I will try to get some info tomorrow....
      Let you guys know if I know anything...
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• G Wolly
        • Mar 2004

Oh well.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Rivet and Grier both look done from a physical standpoint.

Grier is getting by on hockey smarts- he makes up for a lack of speed by always knowing where to go and being a step ahead of the play mentally. But it still holds him back at times.

Rivet just looks old. He's slow to react and doesn't seem to have any strength or passion out there. I have no idea why he's captain or why he's even still out there.

My one concern is that I'm not really sure the Sabres have anyone ready to step up. With the exception of one or two games, Butler was brutal filling in for Morrisson.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

what happened to this team?
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by King Bedard
              what happened to this team?
              They let Briere and Drury go 4 years ago and never recovered.

Miller hid a lot of problems last year. He started the season playing hurt then missed a bunch of games, and all those problems were no longer hidden.

They use this "small market" excuse to avoid making moves in FA, so we get stuck with guys like Pominville, Connolly and Vanek rather than trying to improve the team.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

My eyes just rolled out of the back of my head.

Anyways, Rivet would be best to retire ASAP. He's been fine from his food poisoning for a few games now, but Ruff isn't jumping to put him back in because the other guys are playing good enough.

This team needs a new captain. And it shouldn't be Gaustad.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                  My eyes just rolled out of the back of my head.

Anyways, Rivet would be best to retire ASAP. He's been fine from his food poisoning for a few games now, but Ruff isn't jumping to put him back in because the other guys are playing good enough.

This team needs a new captain. And it shouldn't be Gaustad.
                  A couple of years ago I thought Gaustad should be captain. Now I'm not so sure.

But, honestly, if not him, then who? Roy already has the A. Stafford, Pominville, Vanek and Connolly don't show any heart or leadership. Myers, Butler, Ennis and Gerbe are too young. And none of the other guys really stand out as leaders either.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
                    • Sep 2004

Gaustad has been practically invisible this year. I thought he should've been last year.

There isn't much leadership all around. Miller is probably the best choice, but he's got enough on his plate what with carrying the team on his back and all.

Based on this year so far, I actually think Roy is the best option, which is kinda shocking to think about.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

then who would get the A?

And can goalies be captains? I don't recall seeing it- at least not anytime recently
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
                        • Sep 2004

Goalies can be, but can't wear the C. Luongo used to be the captain in Vancouver and had a C on his mask.

I suppose Gaustad is a possibility, but he really hasn't been around much this year (or that I've noticed).

I suppose if Roy was the C, an A could be given to Grier.

There really aren't a whole lot of options on this team. Connolly should never be given anything that represents a C or an A. I think even he knows this is it for him in Buffalo.

D & S Sports

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Vanek hasn't scored much this year, but to suggest he has no heart or doesn't try hard enough is idiocy IMO.

Roy has scored well and played well at times, but it is Roy and I believe he will return to form before the halfway point.

If it should go on pure leadership, then Grier should be captain, or Neidermeyer, though I wouldn't give it to either.

If it should go to one of your best players who will be on the ice in a crucial situation to win a game, then it could be Vanek.

If it should go to a player who will be with this team for years to come and is one of the best players on the team then it could be Myers.

I still don't see Gaustad as a bad choice. I think he is still on the ice a lot in critical situations to win a faceoff. It's just that he isn't one of our better players.

Comment

• rbochan
                            Zamboni Driver
                            • Jun 2008

C to Roy. A's to Grier and Montador.
                            ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                            it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

personally i'd give it to Grier for the remainder of the year. he plays hard every game, he's slow but works. that's what being a captain is all about. Doing what you can with what you got. When great players have it, people sometimes just say, "well, he's the talented guy." When you have the digger/worker as the C, sometimes it gets the talented guys to be like, "if he's playing hard and acheiving something, then i should definitely be out there doing something."

that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X