PDA

View Full Version : Losman happy to be back in the league

Ickybaluky
11-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Article on Losman after signing with Seattle:

LINK (http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/11/17/1427906/losman-unsure-of-place-but-happy.html)

I'd actually be happy for him if he can stick as a backup. His career hasn't gone as intended, but he seems like an OK kid.

Bill Cody
11-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Didn't read the article. Did he buy a house in Seattle yet?

Pinkerton Security
11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I always liked JP...he always made me sit on the edge of my seat, especially when he reared back and just heaved the ball downfield to Lee!

OpIv37
11-17-2010, 09:20 AM
We met him once in a hotel in Buffalo and got his autograph. He's a nice guy and I was always rooting for him.

The only thing I have against him is that he didn't get the job done on the field. If he can be successful on some West Coast NFC team that doesn't affect the Bills, more power to him.

Joe Fo Sho
11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
I hope he gets a chance to start and I hope even more that he plays well.

RockStar36
11-17-2010, 09:27 AM
We met him once in a hotel in Buffalo and got his autograph. He's a nice guy and I was always rooting for him.

The only thing I have against him is that he didn't get the job done on the field. If he can be successful on some West Coast NFC team that doesn't affect the Bills, more power to him.

Not that it matters, but the year he started all 16 games, he really wasn't that bad and got better as time went on. It was the next season that they started dicking him with Edwards and the train came off the tracks.

mikemac2001
11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Not that it matters, but the year he started all 16 games, he really wasn't that bad and got better as time went on. It was the next season that they started dicking him with Edwards and the train came off the tracks.

Ya and edwards was our future QB :fail

justasportsfan
11-17-2010, 09:49 AM

it's Dicks MO to force players and coaches to play into his philosophy instead of finding ways to use their strengths.

k-oneputt
11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
The Bills organization screwed Losman by starting him at the beginning of his second year. He wasn't ready. They stil had Bledsoe and they should have at least started the season with bledsoe.
Another of Donahoes stupid moves.

trapezeus
11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
more than jauron screwing him, mularkey threw him to the wolves in a sunday night game after a broken leg and asked him to beat the pats (at the height of their dominance). His first pass was a perfect floater to a patriot linebacker. and then it was followed up with him kicking the ball out of his own hands.

He was a raw QB that definitely needed more time to mature and he needed a real QB to guide him. Bledsoe had no interest in helping him and for the most part kept making the same mistakes himself. So it's not that great.

Extremebillsfan247
11-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Good for him, I've always liked Losman's character on and off the field. It's too bad things didn't work out for him here. I remember back in '07 when he started the community beautification thing, that was a classy thing to do. Comparing that with the acts of a guy like Lynch, and it's not hard to have a soft spot for this guy. I say good luck to him. JMO.

Ebenezer
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
The Bills organization screwed Losman by starting him at the beginning of his second year. He wasn't ready. They stil had Bledsoe and they should have at least started the season with bledsoe.
Another of Donahoes stupid moves.

Oh, wait. When people were arguing on here day and night and I was one of the few that said that putting Losman out there was one of the stupidest things to do where were you to support me?

Again, we have another example of a kid that was over drafted, over hyped and under prepared. None was his fault but people treated him like crap. I hope he succeeds.

trapezeus
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
the thing was that bledsoe was so maddeningly bad at the end that the only natural reaction was, "START HIM!!! HE CAN'T BE AS BAD" but he wasn't an NFL ready QB. He didn't play in a pro system, he played at tulane and left a bigger program. these were all knocks that needed time to fix.

I remember just being fed up with bledsoe at the end. double patting the ball and just standing back there forever. I remember wanting shane matthews to start. the whole thing is just better if we forget it ever happened.

feldspar
11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Now 2 of our first round draft picks are in Seattle.

BTW, if Losman was started too early in his second year, what about Trent Edwards, who started his rookie year...Losman was a 1st round pick that started 8 games in his second year. Edwards was a third round pick that started 9 games in his ROOKIE year. I'd say that Edwards has more claim to that excuse, but I don't think you'd hear either of these guys make that excuse...and guess what? If we draft a QB high next year, he'll probably be "starting too soon" as well.

Ebenezer
11-17-2010, 10:46 AM
the thing was that bledsoe was so maddeningly bad at the end that the only natural reaction was, "START HIM!!! HE CAN'T BE AS BAD" but he wasn't an NFL ready QB. He didn't play in a pro system, he played at tulane and left a bigger program. these were all knocks that needed time to fix.

I remember just being fed up with bledsoe at the end. double patting the ball and just standing back there forever. I remember wanting shane matthews to start. the whole thing is just better if we forget it ever happened.

Yeah...all that and if the defense stops an unknown RB at home this team makes the playoffs and all of Bledsoe's habits get ignored and fans wouldn't have been as quick to want him cut.

k-oneputt
11-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Actually piss poor coaching was a huge factor for both Losman and Edwards.

I really believe Gailey knows offense and qb's and will be able to give any new qb a good start and background.

trapezeus
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
edwards could read basic defenses and take what was given to him. he never made the step up due to bad coaching.

Ebenezer
11-17-2010, 10:49 AM
edwards could read basic defenses and take what was given to him. he never made the step up due to bad coaching.

Bad coaching and no psyche. The guy got a concussion, had two years to get over it and was never the same. Jimbo had a concussion in a game and came back to throw a couple of TDs that same day.

RockStar36
11-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah...all that and if the defense stops an unknown RB at home this team makes the playoffs and all of Bledsoe's habits get ignored and fans wouldn't have been as quick to want him cut.

That was a factor, but so was Bledose's key turnover, that I saw coming before the play even happened on TV. It was so obvious.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Does anyone really care about JP anymore?

TacklingDummy
11-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Actually piss poor coaching was a huge factor for both Losman and Edwards.

Because they have gone on to be so successful somewhere else. :crazy:

Extremebillsfan247
11-17-2010, 11:26 AM
As a person of exceptional character yes, as a player no. lol

DraftBoy
11-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Best of luck to him, glad to see him get another shot.

k-oneputt
11-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Because they have gone on to be so successful somewhere else. :crazy:

No they obviously haven't. IMO, the lack of coaching and development early in their careers is a big reason for that.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
No they obviously haven't. IMO, the lack of coaching and development early in their careers is a big reason for that.

So Losman had Mularkey and Wyche early in his career.

That's lack of coaching?

Both have developed QBs outside of Buffalo.

k-oneputt
11-17-2010, 02:02 PM

That's lack of coaching?

Losmans problem was they threw him in a year to early. So yes that was a problem because he wasn't ready and that contributed to ruining him.
and as previously noted, Mularkey throwing him out there against New England was stupid also.

djjimkelly
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
still say this guy should have been handled much differently here.

problem is we had coaches who tried to square peg round hole him.

hope he does well

shame we never had a coach try to cater to his strengths instead try to make him into a system qb.

SquishDaFish
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM

I know I like hearing about the good players of the game. Kid never did or said anything that would ruin a team or the league or even put himself above anyone else or the tea itself. He is one of the nice guys it seems so YES I fo care about JP and hope he does well there.

Night Train
11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Can't say I'd hate playing against him. His inability to read the middle and the sideline out results in plenty of big plays for the opposition.

It's nothing personal. He is what he is, which is a guy who gets frustrated, loses poise and forces the ball. His only saving grace was the 6-7 bombs to Evans each year.

trapezeus
11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
losman also has a lot of responsibility in this. the coaches were trying to make him better by making him not run first.

Look at vick, a superb runner. Now that he's scanning the field more, he's even harder to stop.

Losman couldn't just say, "i'm a scrambler, let me do my thing." because the coaches know that the speed is faster in the NFL and you cna't solely rely on that. And losman is no vick. For his long term development, he needed to get better with read recognition and it didn't happen for him. and by the end, the line was just terrible. and that's not good for a guy who either runs or throws long. That's why edwards was successful early. he got rid of it while teams were looking to defend long and rush from everywhere. Once they adjusted for edwards, he became less successful because he didn't find what the defense was giving up in order to stop his short game.

Ebenezer
11-17-2010, 06:34 PM
losman also has a lot of responsibility in this. the coaches were trying to make him better by making him not run first.

Look at vick, a superb runner. Now that he's scanning the field more, he's even harder to stop.

Losman couldn't just say, "i'm a scrambler, let me do my thing." because the coaches know that the speed is faster in the NFL and you cna't solely rely on that. And losman is no vick. For his long term development, he needed to get better with read recognition and it didn't happen for him. and by the end, the line was just terrible. and that's not good for a guy who either runs or throws long. That's why edwards was successful early. he got rid of it while teams were looking to defend long and rush from everywhere. Once they adjusted for edwards, he became less successful because he didn't find what the defense was giving up in order to stop his short game.
Vick has a much better OL than Losman or Bledsoe ever had here in Buffalo.

justasportsfan
11-17-2010, 06:44 PM

JP was not a run first qb .In Jp's highest season 06 for rushing attempts, he averaged 2.6 attempts pg. Fitzpatrick this year is at 3.6. Does that mean Fitz is a run first qb?

Chan would most likely work on his passing game but Gailey would have used JPs mobility to his advantage ala Kordell Stewart. Under Chan , Kordell rushed for 476 yards while rushing for 11 tds.

Gailey would most likely create plays to make use of JP's chemistry with Lee. In other words , he'd make use of Jp's arm.

Under Gailey, Jay Fiedler rushed as well for 267yds 1 td and 326 yds and 4 tds in the 2 yrs he played under Gailey. When Gailey left miami Jay never broke 100.

Dick took away the strengths of his players and tried to make all his qb's dink and dunk . No wonder why Fairchild left for college, Shonert blasted Dicks pop warner philosophy and Van Pelt changed the offense once Dick was fired.

Dick has a knack of putting players in a situation to fail by forcing players to play conservatively. Don't just ask Lee but ask TO.

Mr. Miyagi
11-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I still like JP as a person, from what I can see anyway.

I just don't like him as a Bill, because he sucks.

Best of luck to him unless he plays against us.

Buffalogic
11-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Losman's biggest flaw was he just held the ball too long. The classic 'wait for the guy to get open' that works in college but fails in the NFL.

TigerJ
11-17-2010, 09:57 PM
No one really knows what he might have been had he been handled better by his coaches early in his career. Maybe he could have been a really solid starter in the league. Maybe he wouldn't have turned out any differently than he did. He always seemed like a decent guy. I wish him well.

better days
11-18-2010, 12:04 AM

That's lack of coaching?

Did you ever hear the phrase "too many cooks spoil the soup"? I have heard Ian Beckles, former OT for the Bucs & Eagles say he had a coach tell him how to play one way, & the next year a different coach told him just the opposite. He said it really messed him up.

I think the same happened with JP Losman. It was not that the coaches were bad, but that there were too many of them, telling him different things with regards to how to play.

acehole
11-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Haven't you learn anything?

Facts never mater...

It is how everyone feels that is their truth.

JP was not a run first qb .In Jp's highest season 06 for rushing attempts, he averaged 2.6 attempts pg. Fitzpatrick this year is at 3.6. Does that mean Fitz is a run first qb?

Chan would most likely work on his passing game but Gailey would have used JPs mobility to his advantage ala Kordell Stewart. Under Chan , Kordell rushed for 476 yards while rushing for 11 tds.

Gailey would most likely create plays to make use of JP's chemistry with Lee. In other words , he'd make use of Jp's arm.

Under Gailey, Jay Fiedler rushed as well for 267yds 1 td and 326 yds and 4 tds in the 2 yrs he played under Gailey. When Gailey left miami Jay never broke 100.

Dick took away the strengths of his players and tried to make all his qb's dink and dunk . No wonder why Fairchild left for college, Shonert blasted Dicks pop warner philosophy and Van Pelt changed the offense once Dick was fired.

Dick has a knack of putting players in a situation to fail by forcing players to play conservatively. Don't just ask Lee but ask TO.

trapezeus
11-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Justa, jp had the same, one read and run instinct and was being coached out of it. he never had a lot of long runs.

this year, fitz when he runs seems to run for 5-10 yards. there was the jets game where he had like a 20 yard scamper. He also tends to run after a play has totally run out and his receivers are like 20 yards down the field, hence he naturally gets more yards.

The stats read in a vacuum would tell you fitz is a running first qb, but watching the game, i think you know the difference.

ZAZusmc03
11-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I think this years training camp comments from the players showed that there were too many people teaching different concepts and not on the same page. I believe it was Trent that mentioned it.

justasportsfan
11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Justa, jp had the same, one read and run instinct and was being coached out of it. he never had a lot of long runs.

this year, fitz when he runs seems to run for 5-10 yards. there was the jets game where he had like a 20 yard scamper. He also tends to run after a play has totally run out and his receivers are like 20 yards down the field, hence he naturally gets more yards.

The stats read in a vacuum would tell you fitz is a running first qb, but watching the game, i think you know the difference.

He was a Lee Evans first not a run qb first.

Once again, the reason why Fitz is able to run is because his coach allows him to.

trapezeus
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
coaches don't care if you run when the play breaks down. they care if you don't go to a second option first.

again, look at vick. he is benefitting from standing and delivering vs tucking and running after the first option is covered.

justasportsfan
11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
coaches don't care if you run when the play breaks down. they care if you don't go to a second option first. .
Dick did. Stay in the pocket and dink all day.Dick didn't even have plays designed to use a qb's strength.

again, look at vick. he is benefitting from standing and delivering vs tucking and running after the first option is covered.
no one is denying that but you can't compare Vick to JP. Vick didn't have 3 different OCs in his early years. Vick didn't end up having to listen to different stuff from different coaches. Ask Trent Edwards.

You know who benefited from telling the OC to stick it up his arse? Flutie. He would do his own thing. Imagine what would happen if Flutie was forced to stay in the pocket with a coach like Dick? All the more Vick?

In other words Vick didn't have Dick. If Vick had Dick for a HC he'd be where JP is today.

trapezeus
11-18-2010, 11:11 AM
all i'm saying is there are two reasons why losman didn't work.

1. he has personal accountability in all this,
2. he could have been handled better.

AFter his #11 rated season, he needed to come out and play better and he didn't. You get angry at dick trying to get players to play his system regardless of talent. Why don't you get angry at losman for insisting on plays that weren't there to open up all the time?

both sets are why he's a back up on a team that's on a serious crash course to be the new 1-9 bills in a year or two.

justasportsfan
11-18-2010, 11:20 AM

AFter his #11 rated season, he needed to come out and play better and he didn't. You get angry at dick trying to get players to play his system regardless of talent. Why don't you get angry at losman for insisting on plays that weren't there to open up all the time?

both sets are why he's a back up on a team that's on a serious crash course to be the new 1-9 bills in a year or two.

definitely he had problems. No one is denying that but to say he was a run first qb is inaccurate.

Another thing is no one is going to succeed under the same circumstances with the major factor being DICK JAURON , the qb killer. Even Trent started to decline the longer he played for Dick.

You and I could probably do a better job at running an offense than Dick. The guy was offensively dumb.

Mr. Pink
11-18-2010, 11:43 AM
no one is denying that but you can't compare Vick to JP. Vick didn't have 3 different OCs in his early years. Vick didn't end up having to listen to different stuff from different coaches. Ask Trent Edwards.

In other words Vick didn't have Dick. If Vick had Dick for a HC he'd be where JP is today.

Apparently you don't remember that Vick had Reeves, Wade Phillips and Jim Mora as his HCs in his first 4 seasons.

So your entire premise that Vick developed due to stability or whatever holds no water.

On top of the fact he has infinitely more talent than JP.

djjimkelly
11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

after his 11th rated season obviously dick and fairchild problem started and dick put the kibosh on anything exciting

Mr. Pink
11-18-2010, 11:49 AM
after his 11th rated season obviously dick and fairchild problem started and dick put the kibosh on anything exciting

:rofl:

During his 11th rated passer season, JP was extremely limited in what he was doing, so he didn't shoot the team in the foot.

Or did you forget the 12 pass attempt performance vs the Colts that year?

Or the 15 pass attempt performance vs the Packers?

Or the 15 pass attempt performance vs the Jets?

justasportsfan
11-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Apparently you don't remember that Vick had Reeves, Wade Phillips and Jim Mora as his HCs in his first 4 seasons.

So your entire premise that Vick developed due to stability or whatever holds no water.

On top of the fact he has infinitely more talent than JP.

Yup, I didn't remember. My bad. But but my point stands that Vick wasn't held back completley from running by those coaches. No doubt Vick has more talent. Never denied that but Vick would be worse off if he had Dick as his coach.

djjimkelly
11-18-2010, 12:01 PM

problem is they tried this with JP way too early and vick is 10 years in.

we had **** coaches they not only ruined JP they ruined countless other bills players.

look at steve johnson u think he would have become this under DICK?

bujt i digress jp is old news i dont think this coaching staff is gonna ruin players like the old regime did

SABURZFAN
11-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Did you ever hear the phrase "too many cooks spoil the soup"? I have heard Ian Beckles, former OT for the Bucs & Eagles say he had a coach tell him how to play one way, & the next year a different coach told him just the opposite. He said it really messed him up.

I think the same happened with JP Losman. It was not that the coaches were bad, but that there were too many of them, telling him different things with regards to how to play.

and the excuses STILL keep rolling. :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
11-18-2010, 04:39 PM

just the Lickers.

SABURZFAN
11-18-2010, 04:40 PM
problem is they tried this with JP way too early and vick is 10 years in.

we had **** coaches they not only ruined JP they ruined countless other bills players.

look at steve johnson u think he would have become this under DICK?

bujt i digress jp is old news i dont think this coaching staff is gonna ruin players like the old regime did

more excuses..... :shakeno: