• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

How many losses can we hang on...

Just changing our offensive and defensive schemes?

We talked before the season about how long it sometimes takes to learn a new playbook or to change to a new defense. I wonder how many of those busted coverage plays were just the players not knowing where to be.

And now, mid-season, our defense is looking better as is our offense. Poz gives insight on this:

"The fourth-year linebacker from Penn State said it was difficult to adjust to the 3-4 at first, after playing in a 4-3 his first three seasons, but he thinks the defense has finally settled in to the system and is picking up new techniques – and opposing running backs – faster.

We’re feeling more comfortable in our scheme and our job responsibility, so that’s making it easier for us to make plays,” Posluszny said. “Any time you’re comfortable with a defense and you’re able to just read and react, as opposed to think and hesitate … you’ll always play a lot faster, and that’s what we’re getting to.”"

So then, how many losses were due to changing schemes?

My take is 3 so far this year. I think with our current talent and after a full year of conversion to our new schemes, we will be a 5 to 6 win team.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-18-2010, 06:18 AM.

• HAMMER
    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
    • Jul 2003

Re: How many losses can we hang on...

I agree, I think we win three more than we have to this point. People underestimate how difficult it is to implement new schemes. My preseason take was that it would be ten games before they started to play solid ball on either side.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HAMMER
      I agree, I think we win three more than we have to this point. People underestimate how difficult it is to implement new schemes. My preseason take was that it would be ten games before they started to play solid ball on either side.
      not to mention having players that don't fit a scheme learn to play a scheme/position they've never played before.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• djjimkelly
        • Apr 2003

we get luck plus another 2 drafts to fill holes on d and o lines hopefully a TE we can be truly competative

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly
          we get luck plus another 2 drafts to fill holes on d and o lines hopefully a TE we can be truly competative
          Depending on who the other picks are, I totally agree.

A true franchise QB is a must IMO, Fitz has impressed me actually but he can't get us to a SB much less win one. However, the answer doesn't end at the QB spot.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Three or four losses due to scheme change is a reasonable assumption. Add another couple due to Trent Edward's incompetence, though with the scheme change we might have lost those anyways.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
            X