X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figster
    • Oct 2010

The better Helmet

In light of all the head and neck injuries that have occurred and continue to occur in many sports I was thinking about how to develop a better helmet. My first impulse was to design a helmet that would not only decrease impact on the inside, but the outside as well. Before I proceeded I did some research because I figured this idea has already been thought of and I was correct.

Building a better helmet for a dangerous game : http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/0...otball-helmet/

Another Idea I have that I have not seen on the drawing board is a flexible rubber shock absorber that would be could be hooked to the back of the helmet at the bottom and attached to the rear of the shoulder pads at the top that would allow movement, but restrict impact upon collision. The idea is really simple and could be manufactured cheaply and in my opinion could be designed were it would not restrict mobility yet prevent serious neck injuries in many instances.

Any thoughts about the helmet ( above) or neck protection I'm proposing?
    Last edited by Figster; 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM.
  • Dr. Taylor Zaius
    Senior Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: The better Helmet

Originally posted by dog14787
    In light of all the head and neck injuries that have occurred and continue to occur in many sports I was thinking about how to develop a better helmet. My first impulse was to design a helmet that would not only decrease impact on the inside, but the outside as well. Before I proceeded I did some research because I figured this idea has already been thought of and I was correct.

Building a better helmet for a dangerous game : http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/0...otball-helmet/

Another Idea I have that I have not seen on the drawing board is a flexible rubber shock absorber that would be could be hooked to the back of the helmet at the bottom and attached to the rear of the shoulder pads at the top that would allow movement, but restrict impact upon collision. The idea is really simple and could be manufactured cheaply and in my opinion could be designed were it would not restrict mobility yet prevent serious neck injuries in many instances.

Rawlings is getting back in the helmet business soon.
    Last edited by Dr. Taylor Zaius; 11-18-2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

A better helmet would be none.

Then players wouldn't lead with the crown of their head.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

they should just use the HANS device everyone would be a lot safer.

Comment

• Dr. Taylor Zaius
          Senior Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
          A better helmet would be none.

Then players wouldn't lead with the crown of their head.
          None? Really?

Comment

• Bravo82
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dr. Taylor Zaius
            None? Really?
            Have you ever played football? It's common knowledge that equipment is used more as a weapon than it is a safety item. These players feel invincible under their pads.
            Last edited by Bravo82; 11-18-2010, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• dog14787
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Bravo82
              Have you ever played football? It's common knowledge that equipment is used more as a weapon than it is a safety item. These players feel invincible under their pads.

Exactly why I think the outside of the helmet should be soft and or impact resistant.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

Exactly why I think the outside of the helmet should be soft and or impact resistant.
                With no facemasks.

Comment

• dog14787
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho
                  With no facemasks.

Eliminating the face mask would reduce the helmet to helmet contact in my opinion.

Comment

• G Wolly
                    • Mar 2004

The helmet isn't the issue.

The helmets are the weapons being used in vicious hits.

Originally posted by Dr. Taylor Zaius
                    None? Really?
                    Perhaps you've never watched a game of rugby?

Comment

• Dr. Taylor Zaius
                      Senior Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Bravo82
                      Oh brother. And yes, I played.

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

I bet Whitner wouldn't be doing his patented shoulder tackles with no pads.

Comment

• dog14787
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by G Wolly
                          The helmet isn't the issue.

The helmets are the weapons being used in vicious hits.

Perhaps you've never watched a game of rugby?
                          The helmet actually is the issue, the games is to violent to eliminate the helmet completely yet the helmet itself is causing injury. Make it softer on the outside and or shock resistant perhaps many of the head injuries that are occurring from helmet to helmet contact would subside.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Just like the rubber shock absorber I would like to see implemented to prevent neck injury. Just a piece of rubber approx. 4-6 inches wide and long, half an inch thick could help prevent neck injury in my opinion.
                          Last edited by Figster; 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

an article you might like

The yolk inside the egg analogy is a good one, I think. Even if you wrap the egg in bubble wrap, the yolk, suspended in liquid, is still going to slop to one side.

I vaguely remember it, but in the early 80's the naval academy players wore a strap from the bottom of the helmet to the top of the shoulder pads.

The idea was to restrict movement on the neck by keeping the neck in a bulled position.

I can't tell you how it worked.

Comment

• dog14787
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by cookie G
                              an article you might like

The yolk inside the egg analogy is a good one, I think. Even if you wrap the egg in bubble wrap, the yolk, suspended in liquid, is still going to slop to one side.

I vaguely remember it, but in the early 80's the naval academy players wore a strap from the bottom of the helmet to the top of the shoulder pads.

The idea was to restrict movement on the neck by keeping the neck in a bulled position.

I can't tell you how it worked.
                              Great article, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X