PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with Mallet again?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-20-2010, 08:49 PM
so whats the knock on Mallet?
why is he falling out of favor?

wmoz11
11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Decision-making blows and he's unathletic. He's a very poor man's Drew Bledsoe.

Nighthawk
11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't know...I've watched him play this year and he looks pretty legit. I'm hearing something about character, but nothing concrete. He definitely looks like a very good QB...

nolimit
11-20-2010, 09:04 PM
everyone has bit on the hype of andrew luck and those people believe there is no other legitimate qb in the draft besides luck. If I had the number 1 pick I would use it on andrew luck, but Mallet is an excellent prospect.

Bravo82
11-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Mallett was yesterday's flavor of the month....everyone is on the Luck bandwagon now :hump:

Bravo82
11-20-2010, 09:11 PM
everyone has bit on the hype of andrew luck and those people believe there is no other legitimate qb in the draft besides luck. If I had the number 1 pick I would use it on andrew luck, but Mallet is an excellent prospect.

Couldn't have said it better...but I'm really curious as to how many people have honestly watched Luck play prior to 2 months ago... or even heard of him before the season started. :comedy:

mikemac2001
11-20-2010, 09:14 PM
i like mallet he has made mistakes but any young QB will.

he has a good arm seems to make decent reads and its not like he is never under center.

id take luck then mallet

after that i feel it drops off a lot

locker is my 3rd but i feel he needs a year to forget the beating he has taken at Wash

wmoz11
11-20-2010, 09:18 PM
I still like Locker, tbh.

Demon
11-20-2010, 09:23 PM
When Mallet plays good, he's very good. But, he's very inconsistent. Lots of bad throws. As the poster said, decision making is one of his biggest flaws. I am not so sure that is teachable? And as the poster said, he's strictly a pocket qb. Not mobile at all.

He's the guy i def don't want, i'd be sold on Cam Newton before i ever would be on Mallett.

X-Era
11-20-2010, 09:25 PM
On the field Mallett has improved is stock showing much improved poise and decision making. He's got the arm and accuracy, he could be very good. It's his character that I want to know more about... may not hear until after the season.

tampabay25690
11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Good QB, great ARM....

BidsJr
11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Bledsoe without the accuracy. That is saying something.

Jamiezzz
11-20-2010, 10:02 PM
(Mallett)=(-Bledsoe)...!

wmoz11
11-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Seriously - give me Luck or Locker. I don't want any part of any of the available QBs beyond that. Mallett is a project and is dumb as ****, Gabbert is raw and a spread QB, Devlin has played at a small school (yes, I realize Flacco played there), Ponder is a 3rd rounder at best, Cam Newton is an NFL WR, etc.

kingJofNYC
11-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Locker has been awful, he won't be drafted until the 3rd round at best. Plenty of QBs have done well with **** surrounding them, that excuse needs to stop being brought up. He just isn't ready to lead a professional NFL team. If you compare him to Losman coming out, Locker can't hold his jock in terms of production.

wmoz11
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Locker has been awful, he won't be drafted until the 3rd round at best. Plenty of QBs have done well with **** surrounding them, that excuse needs to stop being brought up. He just isn't ready to lead a professional NFL team. If you compare him to Losman coming out, Locker can't hold his jock in terms of production.

I understand that I have no leg to stand on with my Locker proclamations, but I think he's going to be a stud at the NFL level. I don't know what it is, but I can just tell that he's going to be successful no matter what he does. He's tough, athletic, and has a great arm. I know that sounds a lot like Losman and I realize that there's nothing to base his future success off of judging by his year so far, but I'm confident that he'll turn into a good NFL QB.

mikemac2001
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM

if we get locker in 3rd rd ill say its a good draft on that, i feel he needs to sit a year get bigger and not be rushed tho.

wmoz11
11-20-2010, 10:33 PM
He won't make it passed the early 2nd round.

BertSquirtgum
11-21-2010, 12:15 AM
don't need another trent edwards. thanks though.

mikemac2001
11-21-2010, 12:25 AM
don't need another trent edwards. thanks though.

who mallet??

he is twice those size of prissy trent.

mallet looks like an nfl qb im worried about his brain

Dujek
11-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Not getting into the arguments again, but Mallett will be a better NFL QB than Luck. Especially somewhere like Buffalo.

Luck is just Trent Edwards 2.0

TacklingDummy
11-21-2010, 06:01 AM
If the Bills were smart they would trade down, draft defense in the 1st round and use the extra pick on defense. Let someone else pay for the Luck hype.

Night Train
11-21-2010, 08:26 AM
So it's official. Every single QB coming out sucks and is unworthy of our draft pick.

Got it.

:rofl:

GreedoII
11-21-2010, 08:29 AM

No way man. Locker going in the 1st. Bank that. This is a QB league and teams who suck always draft the QB and hope for the best.

X-Era
11-21-2010, 09:37 AM
So it's official. Every single QB coming out sucks and is unworthy of our draft pick.

Got it.

:rofl:At this point it could range from 3 or more franchises having there QB problem solved to just 1.

I love how so many need to make the draft black and white. It's never that they are either all-pro or they are terrible.

Night Train
11-21-2010, 10:37 AM
A lot of these guys are still just kids and in need of coaching. But that's expected.

You must look at their mental makeup & poise in addition to their athletic skills to see if they project. They all have different teams of different levels of talent surrounding him.

Locker plays on a losing Washington team and gets blasted on the pass rush. Thus, he's trying to force things. Mallet has a team D that gives up tons of points. So he's forced to abandon the run and overthrow the ball, which is standard for his coach, Booby Petrino. Predictably, he forces a few.

Newton defies the odds by being insanely accurate while throwing on the run. That always spells turnovers but he makes those plays ALL the time. Won't be allowed to run as much in the pro's but his big play ability, mobility and arm strength are impossible to ignore. Mental makeup ?

In other words, there are options but they all need the coaching and scheme to play to their skill sets. They ALL needs to develop more and it's the scouts guess to make these calls.

But that's a pretty good group to work with, when making a decison to draft them and all should go at some point in Round 1. You could still get one if trading down and picking up another high pick or 3. We have multiple other needs.

X-Era
11-21-2010, 10:49 AM
A lot of these guys are still just kids and in need of coaching. But that's expected.

You must look at their mental makeup & poise in addition to their athletic skills to see if they project. They all have different teams of different levels of talent surrounding him.

Locker plays on a losing Washington team and gets blasted on the pass rush. Thus, he's trying to force things. Mallet has a team D that gives up tons of points. So he's forced to abandon the run and overthrow the ball, which is standard for his coach, Booby Petrino. Predictably, he forces a few.

Newton defies the odds by being insanely accurate while throwing on the run. That always spells turnovers but he makes those plays ALL the time. Won't be allowed to run as much in the pro's but his big play ability, mobility and arm strength are impossible to ignore. Mental makeup ?

In other words, there are options but they all need the coaching and scheme to play to their skill sets. They ALL needs to develop more and it's the scouts guess to make these calls.

But that's a pretty good group to work with, when making a decison to draft them and all should go at some point in Round 1. You could still get one if trading down and picking up another high pick or 3. We have multiple other needs.Great post.

That's really it IMO. You have to look at the entire situation for each player. Everything. The teams scheme, the quality of the team, height, weight, arm strength, poise, decision making, pocket presence, footwork, intelligence, stats, character... everything. If your making such an important decision on whether to draft someone and where, why wouldn't you anyways?

I really feel each situation is different. You could argue Moore should take no more of a hit for playing in the spread than Gabbert. But, I set aside the system when comparing them. I look at everything else. And, to me, I see Gabbert being a better pro prospect than Moore. I see Gabbert, from the spread, being a better pro prospect than Ponder, from a pro set. That's just one example and it's just to say that I don't think you can throw out any player for just one reason, it's not black and white.

I think they have to, and usually are, ranked for a reason. It's about the chances of that player being successful and how successful they might be.

If Mallett is deemed to be solid in the character department, a move down to say 10-15 for him while picking up another pick or two is a move I would like. But, I also would be happy skipping QB in the 1st and going another position (if Luck is not an option). It all depends on the lay of the land at that point.

Extremebillsfan247
11-21-2010, 10:59 AM
so whats the knock on Mallet?
why is he falling out of favor?His height seems to be an issue, and Newton is just outplaying him right now. Other than that, I don't really know.

Extremebillsfan247
11-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Not getting into the arguments again, but Mallett will be a better NFL QB than Luck. Especially somewhere like Buffalo.

Luck is just Trent Edwards 2.0 The difference between Luck and Edwards is that Luck will take off with the ball while Edwards will just stand there and take a sack. Luck is Trent Edwards with balls. lol

djjimkelly
11-21-2010, 11:05 AM
id be more then satisfied if we ended up with mallet however id prefer luck.

go bills opponents

better days
11-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Great post.

That's really it IMO. You have to look at the entire situation for each player. Everything. The teams scheme, the quality of the team, height, weight, arm strength, poise, decision making, pocket presence, footwork, intelligence, stats, character... everything. If your making such an important decision on whether to draft someone and where, why wouldn't you anyways?

I really feel each situation is different. You could argue Moore should take no more of a hit for playing in the spread than Gabbert. But, I set aside the system when comparing them. I look at everything else. And, to me, I see Gabbert being a better pro prospect than Moore. I see Gabbert, from the spread, being a better pro prospect than Ponder, from a pro set. That's just one example and it's just to say that I don't think you can throw out any player for just one reason, it's not black and white.

I think they have to, and usually are, ranked for a reason. It's about the chances of that player being successful and how successful they might be.

If Mallett is deemed to be solid in the character department, a move down to say 10-15 for him while picking up another pick or two is a move I would like. But, I also would be happy skipping QB in the 1st and going another position (if Luck is not an option). It all depends on the lay of the land at that point.

It is not as easy to trade down as many on this board seem to think. If a team has the pick at 15 & wants a QB, why would they trade up & give up a valuable pick if they can get Mallet at 15 themselves?

X-Era
11-21-2010, 11:48 AM
It is not as easy to trade down as many on this board seem to think. If a team has the pick at 15 & wants a QB, why would they trade up & give up a valuable pick if they can get Mallet at 15 themselves?First, I don't think it's easy at all. But, it's done and not impossible.

Second, I don't think the trade partner would be another team needing a QB. I think it would be a team wanting Peterson or one of the DL, or maybe even AJ Green.