PDA

View Full Version : Gilbertson to supervise Huskies on interim basis

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-18-2003, 12:12 AM
SEATTLE -- Washington offensive coordinator Keith Gilbertson was appointed Tuesday to supervise the Huskies' football program while coach Rick Neuheisel's termination process is completed.

The announcement was made by athletic director Barbara Hedges, who said the 55-year-old Gilbertson "will be responsible for supervising the staff and overseeing daily operations of the football program'' while Neuheisel is suspended.

During a news conference, Gilbertson said he hasn't been promised the job as acting or interim coach, nor does he expect to get the job permanently.

"I'm an employee of the University of Washington,'' Gilbertson said. "They've assigned me a job to do and I'm going to do it the best I can. Where that takes us or takes me, I have no idea.''

Gilbertson was the head coach at California from 1992-95 and Idaho from 1986-88. He has been Washington's offensive coordinator since 2000 and part of Neuheisel's staff since 1999.

Hedges announced last week that Neuheisel will be fired for violating NCAA rules against gambling by his participation in NCAA basketball tournament pools in 2002 and 2003.

She also said Neuheisel wasn't forthcoming with NCAA investigators when initially questioned.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0617/1569559.html