PDA

View Full Version : OK, Im tired of it.

X-Era
11-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Ellis Hobbs just got knocked out with a helmet to helmet hit.

I'm sick of it. Just start ejecting these *******s.

Maybe I'm just sensitive to it because of a mild concussion I had but it's ridiculous.

Yes, it's a violent game. Yes, I want players playing full speed. But there is a difference between playing tough and leading with your head. I think that a few of these ****ers are doing this on purpose.

**** them.

X-Era
11-21-2010, 09:21 PM
And if that's a legal hit because it's open-field, you need to change the rules.

Ridiculous.

I have watched a ton of football and never have I seen as many of these hits and scary injuries as the past few years.

EricStratton
11-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Players don't know how to tackle anymore, this is all they have.

T-Long
11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Players these days are going for the "jacked up" hit so they make Sportscenter instead of form tackling. It's just the way it is.

billsburgh
11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I loved hearing Collinsworth try to explain why that hit was legal and the earlier hit by Assante Samuel (I think) was illegal. what BS

X-Era
11-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Players these days are going for the "jacked up" hit so they make Sportscenter instead of form tackling. It's just the way it is.Then ejections can be "just the way it is".

T-Long
11-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Then ejections can be "just the way it is".
You won't see ejections, just bigger fines and 1 game suspensions

X-Era
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
You won't see ejections, just bigger fines and 1 game suspensionsSuspensions will help. I think you should be able to review the play and eject the player... and suspend him.

T-Long
11-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Suspensions will help. I think you should be able to review the play and eject the player... and suspend him.
I think the bigger fines and 1 game suspensions will help in the long run. Coaches are now going to teach their players more to hit lower. Run through the guy instead of trying to make the "jacked up" hit. We'll see how it goes the next few years, but right now it's a work in progress I think.

Ed
11-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I think it's difficult to fairly regulate helmet to helmet hits sometimes when the offensive player is allowed to lower his head and lead with his helmet.

X-Era
11-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I think it's difficult to fairly regulate helmet to helmet hits sometimes when the offensive player is allowed to lower his head and lead with his helmet.It is, I agree... that's why I like the concept of replay for it.

Joe Fo Sho
11-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Get rid of facemasks.

T-Long
11-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Get rid of facemasks.
haha the Joe Paterno logic!

Joe Fo Sho
11-21-2010, 09:55 PM
haha the Joe Paterno logic!

It makes sense, no?

OpIv37
11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Get rid of facemasks.

ding ding ding we have a winner!

The answer isn't MORE pads, it's LESS pads.

Every time the "football vs rugby" argument comes up, someone tries to make the point that rugby players are tougher because they don't wear pads, to which the football supporters respond with "but those pads make the guy hitting you harder too- it's like getting hit by a missile."

Well, turn the missile back into a human. Guys aren't going to hit as hard if they stand as much chance of getting hurt as the guy they're hitting.

X-Era
11-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Every time the "football vs rugby" argument comes up, someone tries to make the point that rugby players are tougher because they don't wear pads, to which the football supporters respond with "but those pads make the guy hitting you harder too- it's like getting hit by a missile."

Well, turn the missile back into a human. Guys aren't going to hit as hard if they stand as much chance of getting hurt as the guy they're hitting.Before you posted this I was thinking... how many rugby players get paralysis or even concussions. I have no idea of the answer, I don't follow it.

Joe Fo Sho
11-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Well, turn the missile back into a human. Guys aren't going to hit as hard if they stand as much chance of getting hurt as the guy they're hitting.

Yup, it's getting out of control. No one is gonna lead with their face without protection. It seems logical.

X-Era
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Yup, it's getting out of control. No one is gonna lead with their face without protection. It seems logical.It is.

If you don't, you have to make the penalty so huge that no one would risk it.

Syderick
11-21-2010, 11:45 PM

Yea, but what about getting smacked against the ground? Helmets and pads don't only protect from collisions between players, they also protect from hitting yourself against the field.

Michael82
11-22-2010, 01:13 AM
Why can't these players just make the damn tackle? Either that or just make clean hits like the one that Donte Whitner made. Lead with you damn shoulder! Not your head dumbass!

jamze132
11-22-2010, 04:25 AM
Did anyone see stupid Whitner try to pick up a Bengal and flip him over? yeah, FAIL! Nice tackle *******.

Figster
11-22-2010, 05:31 AM
I think it's difficult to fairly regulate helmet to helmet hits sometimes when the offensive player is allowed to lower his head and lead with his helmet.

Honestly, I think they should just put padding on the outside of the helmets and solve the problem because its impossible sometimes to keep your head away from your opponents head. Hows a DB supposed to go for the ball without sticking his head in the same proximity as the Receiver? How is a shoulder more safer then a head to head because I could break someones neck with my shoulder going into someone full bore.

I posted about this in the helmet thread I started recently. Hard shell helmets are partly the cause of the problem in my opinion because there is no give and it causes a whiplash effect when two helmets collide. By Simply padding the helmet on both sides on the outside at the teams Emblem and a strip from front to back down the middle,3/4 inch thick, match the emblem, make it clear, whatever looks best and have snaps on the outside of the helmet where the pads would snap on.

Its a simple fix and I can't believe all helmets aren't made this way because a helmet bouncing off of hard pavement does the same thing. The padding/ safer barrier effect needs to be on the outside of the helmet to decrease impact.

YardRat
11-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Props to Whitner for a clean, hard, ball-jarring hit.

Figster
11-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Props to Whitner for a clean, hard, ball-jarring hit.

Donte Whitner is letting his play do the talking for him this season and setting a good example for his fellow teammates.