• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Fitzy's Pros and Cons

I'm warming up on Fitz actually. I like his guts, his poise, and his leadership on the field. Yes, his accuracy and decision making can be suspect; but he's been impressing me. It's not out of the question that he could become all we need to get to the SB and even win. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Matt Hasselbeck are guys who are less than all-pro's who have done it. I'm not totally against that. Here's my issue. It's more likely that it won't work. What if we have seen this train before with Holcomb? Fitz is better than Holcomb, I really feel that way. But what if the Bills decide Fitz is the guy they want and skip Andrew Luck. But then Fitz gets through next year and shows he can't be the long term answer, but has won 6 games or so? We lost the chance to get a franchise potential QB, end up drafting lower with a lower chance to get another shot at one, and still haven't solved our QB issue.

My worry is that if we are bad enough to get a shot at a guy like Luck, and if he's there (set aside whether he declares in this scenario), and we don't take him, we may have prolonged our mediocrity and blown our chance to pick high enough to get a top notch prospect.

I honestly feel if Luck is there at our pick we will take him and this is really not even something that could happen. But, I'm warming on Fitz and it would be great if he actually was the guy we need and is already here. Can anyone see the Bills deciding to go with Fitz long term and even skip Luck or any other QB in this draft? This discussion is about risk and projecting what is most likely to happen; planning. I feel the Bills need to be smart and cover there bases to prevent any further slides or even prevent staying stagnant. I feel they need to stack the deck in their favor through smart decisions that will increases their chances of success. That's why this whole issue is hugely important and potentially a real quandary. Especially if Fitz continues to get better.

• SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: QB quandary

I agree with you but we need to still draft the QB of the future to sit behind Fitz and learn.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by BEASTMODE
      I agree with you but we need to still draft the QB of the future to sit behind Fitz and learn.
      For at least 4-6 weeks..

Then put him in. That's todays NFL.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BEASTMODE
        I think it's the safest plan. It gives you options if Fitz fails. However, the QB of the future should be a true prospect who can be the face of the franchise... not what we tried with Levi Brown... you need the best you can possibly get IMO. Its a crap shoot, so stack the odds in your favor.

But, I leave room for the distinct possibility that Fitz can be the guy.

And to play devils advocate: What if Fitz ends up being the guy, and you just spent your 1st round pick, and a big contract on a guy who will never see the field as a starter? You just skipped other players at other positions who could have made a huge impact on your team, for a player who never sees the field as your starter.
        Last edited by X-Era; 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• djjimkelly
          • Apr 2003

fitz is a very nice backup to let a team have a chance if the real starter goes down for a couple weeks.

hes not a long term answer

nothing against him but just like rich gannon says week in week out on sirius he is not a starter in this league

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly
            fitz is a very nice backup to let a team have a chance if the real starter goes down for a couple weeks.

hes not a long term answer

nothing against him but just like rich gannon says week in week out on sirius he is not a starter in this league
            Was Rich Gannon a stud? He took Oak to the SB.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Fitz is a servicable backup.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Luisito23
                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                • Apr 2003

Having Luck on the bench for maybe half the season, and having Fitz start would be the perfect combo.
                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by X-Era
                  Yes, his accuracy and decision making can be suspect
                  \

I disagree with this statement. I think his decision making is not only right most of the time, it is quick and decisive. It is his physical limitations and accuracy that hurt him the most. I can count several of his interceptions that were in the right area and were a good read, but were either overthrown, under thrown, or thrown too slow. I think that has more to do with his physical ability than mental ability.

I love the kid's tenacity though. It is refreshing.
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Luisito23
                    Having Luck on the bench for maybe half the season, and having Fitz start would be the perfect combo.
                    I really think so to. Apparently Elway alluded to Luck declaring. It was during the Stanford Cal game but I didn't hear what he said. I'm convinced you need the top pick for Luck and that is by no means a given for us.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsWin
                      \

I disagree with this statement. I think his decision making is not only right most of the time, it is quick and decisive. It is his physical limitations and accuracy that hurt him the most. I can count several of his interceptions that were in the right area and were a good read, but were either overthrown, under thrown, or thrown too slow. I think that has more to do with his physical ability than mental ability.

I love the kid's tenacity though. It is refreshing.
                      Where did you disagree with me?

I said suspect meaning it wasn't all the time.

I said accuracy which you agree with.

I said decision making talking about heaving it up when you can't make the throw... underthrown, overthrown.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                        • Jul 2002

I understand your take, but Fitz has been getting progressively more average as every week has gone by. He had a hot streak...like average, backup QB's do and now he is settling more into his area...which is a good backup, who can put up a few good games, but will never carry your teams to victories. This team MUST get a franchise QB and stop the slide. Fooling themselves into believing Fitz is the answer would be the nail in the coffin for this franchise.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Yeah he did, but he was out of the NFL soon after that, the same goes with Brad Johnson.
                          Last edited by better days; 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Bufftp
                            Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

I think the value Fitz brings is you don't reach to pick up a QB in the first round, and use it if necessary for a better pick for other big need.
                            Last edited by Bufftp; 11-21-2010, 11:43 AM.
                            Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
                            "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
                            Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
                            - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
                            to be led by permanent ideals -
                            that is what keeps a man patient
                            when the world ignores him,
                            and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Nighthawk
                              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                              • Jul 2002

Come on X...you're not seriously comparing Fitz to Gannon...are you? It seems that you're starting to sip the kool-aid.

Comment

Working...
                              X