PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the "Fitz won't win a superbowl"

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2010, 08:08 AM
For the love of Christ. Nobody here is saying Fitz is going to lead the Buffalo Bills to a Superbowl title. The team has to fix A LOT of issues before it can even be considered a division and playoff contender.

Let's take small, baby steps, and concentrate on our beloved Bills improving each week, as they have for the past 6 or so, and take it from there. Nobody is anointing anyone a Superbowl winning QB. Fitz has played very well, and deserves kudos. Heck, he may end up being a franchise QB, or he may not. Regardless of that, we don't need people pointing out that he'll never win a Superbowl. That's not really much of a prediction, considering which team he plays for.

cocamide
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
No need for threads like this. It's already been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Fitz = Thigpen. The logic presented in that thread was infallible, so it's inevitable that in a few years Fitz will be in Miami, where hopefully he won't end up winning a SuperBowl.

Oh, and \sarcasm.

Borosai
11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Stating that Fitz isn't good enough appears to be trendy nowadays. That must be why people feel the need to repeat the same **** over and over and over again.

BertSquirtgum
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
he is not a franchise quarterback.......end thread

G Wolly
11-22-2010, 08:38 PM
The only time you can deny that statement, is when he's holding that Lombardi trophy.

Demon
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM

The only way you can change a mentality of a team and the culture of a team from being lovers where nobody wants to go play for to a winning and respectful team, is by getting that franchise QB. Fitzpatrick is not it, he may be a good person, a smart dude, and even have limited successful in this system, he's not changing the culture of the Buffalo Bills and until the Bills find that one QB, they can draft all the guys they want, some will turn out great, some will turn out into massive busts, but the end result will be, we'll never leap over the 7-8 win block until that happens.

NOT THE DUDE...
11-23-2010, 02:42 AM
The only way you can change a mentality of a team and the culture of a team from being lovers where nobody wants to go play for to a winning and respectful team, is by getting that franchise QB. Fitzpatrick is not it, he may be a good person, a smart dude, and even have limited successful in this system, he's not changing the culture of the Buffalo Bills and until the Bills find that one QB, they can draft all the guys they want, some will turn out great, some will turn out into massive busts, but the end result will be, we'll never leap over the 7-8 win block until that happens.

your logic is not sound...

look at players like phil simms, or frank reich, brad johnson, jim mcmahon, rich gannon, doug flutie, stan humphries, fran tarkenton, vinny testaverde, bernie kosar, tony romo, joe ferguson, neil odonnell- NONE OF THESE QBS ARE FRANCHISE QBS... etc etc etc... basically out of every 30 years or so a franchise qb might come along for a team, like a brady, manning, staubach, kelly type... that means for the other 18 years you have to win with a solid above average qb, (fitz is playing even a little better maybe...) the point is we can win with fitz if we get a solid rt, a pass rushing beast, and some more front 7 help... other than that we should be ready to go... there isnt that much of a difference in the nfl between 4-12 teams and 9-7 teams, and there isnt much difference between 9-7 teams and 13-3 teams... good coaching can also go a long way...

bottom line- we are not going to have the number one pick, we will win a couple more games, we will probably pick anywhere between 4-8...

draft kerrigan, or dareus, or some monster mother ****er for the pass rush with our first pick, draft a rt, draft other front 7 help later in the draft and go from there...

pick up a couple nice free agents, maybe jason hatcher, or marcus spears... we should be competitive next year...

X-Era
11-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Fitz's numbers for this year:

CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT
169 285 59.3 1961 6.9 18 54 9 1 88.1

They look similar to this set of numbers:

Comp Att Att/G Pct Yds Yds/G Yds/Att TD Int Sack Rate
155 230 23.0 67.4 1509 150.9 6.6 10 8 17 85.6

Care to take a guess who's numbers those are? They are Kelly Holcomb's numbers from his 2005 season with the Bills.

Point is, until Fitz beats the best or proves he can take us to the playoffs or SB, these questions will remain.

Can we really expect fans to feel "settled" and remain quiet when we are 2 and 8?

NOT THE DUDE...
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM

Care to take a guess who's numbers those are? They are Kelly Holcomb's numbers from his 2005 season with the Bills.

Point is, until Fitz beats the best or proves he can take us to the playoffs or SB, these questions will remain.

Can we really expect fans to feel "settled" and remain quiet when we are 2 and 8?

well first off holcomb td to int ratio was 10-8, fitz is 2-1
what was holcombs 3rd down conversion rate, a huge sign if a qb is good or not...fitz is ranked 2nd in the league...
holcomb was throwing for about 150 yards a game, fitz is throwing for about 250 yds a game...i think he is ranked like 12th in that category...

what was our offense ranked in scoring in 05, compared to the 8 games fitz has played? i think we are 21st for the total this year, so with fitz its conservative to say we are probably between 16-18 in points because he didnt play the 1st 2 games...

holcomb was a checkdown guy, fitz is not, not even close.

fitz is a gun-slinger, holcomb is not...

holcomb was sacked a lot, fitz is not...

over a 16 game projection which isnt unreal, fitz would be on pace for 36td 18int 4000yds, 60% cmp, 2nd in 3rd down conversion, 7.0 yards per attempt... those are pro bowl numbers... and they are happening right when qbs usually take off right around 30 starts...holcomb never even comes close to those numbers...

if you want to compare fitz to someone, i would say kyle orton, jake delhomme but smarter and more accurate, a poor mans jim kelly, a poor mans montana, he is way better than holcomb dude....

justasportsfan
11-23-2010, 10:52 AM
the only way I can see us going far with Fritz is if we have one of the top OL in the league with a top 5 D to go with it.

Mahdi
11-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Yeah that is not a good comparison at all.

Fitz is a downfield thrower, Holcomb was a "manager" and not even a good manager.

Fitz has 18 Tds in 8 games. Holcomb had 10 Tds in 10 games.

And as previously mentioned Fitz is averaging about 250 yards a game while Holcomb averaged about 150.

Not even close to being the same Qbs.

Personally, when I evaluate Fitz I am not looking at any stats at all. I am looking at the quality of this throws. The velocity, placement and difficulty level.

Fitz has not been making routine throws, he has been executing the toughest throws in football regularly.

THAT is what impresses me about Fitz. There are only a handful of QBs in the league executing the kind of throws Fitz is executing.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
No need for threads like this. It's already been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Fitz = Thigpen. The logic presented in that thread was infallible, so it's inevitable that in a few years Fitz will be in Miami, where hopefully he won't end up winning a SuperBowl.

Oh, and \sarcasm.

Still waiting for some evidence to prove your argument? Oh wait...you don't have any! Got it!

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Yeah, but some believe he is a savior...don't ya know? You know, his past failures are just a mirage and this season is the real Fitz...come on, don't you see it?!?!

Mahdi
11-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, but some believe he is a savior...don't ya know? You know, his past failures are just a mirage and this season is the real Fitz...come on, don't you see it?!?!
All the TDs he is putting up this year is a mirage and the inexperienced QB he was before was the real Fitz..... come on don't you see it? He sucks.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
All the TDs he is putting up this year is a mirage and the inexperienced QB he was before was the real Fitz..... come on don't you see it? He sucks.

I would love for some of you to please think logically about he situation and go back and look at history. Gailey made Thigpen into a fantasy stud the year he was there, Gailey made Kordell Stewart into a fantasy stud when he was in Pittsburgh and then Stewart was less then mediocre after that. You guys are completely ignoring the one constant in all of these situations and that is Gailey. Now, I ask you, what seems more logical...Gailey being a huge reason for Fitz's success or Fitz all of sudden becoming a good QB? Do you guys really need to think about this one???

cocamide
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Still waiting for some evidence to prove your argument? Oh wait...you don't have any! Got it!

First, please tell me what my argument is. I know we went back and forth in another thread with you arguing that Fitz = Thigpen, and I said that I didn't agree with your arguments. It seems like the onus of proof is on you.

cocamide
11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I would love for some of you to please think logically about he situation and go back and look at history. Gailey made Thigpen into a fantasy stud the year he was there, Gailey made Kordell Stewart into a fantasy stud when he was in Pittsburgh and then Stewart was less then mediocre after that. You guys are completely ignoring the one constant in all of these situations and that is Gailey. Now, I ask you, what seems more logical...Gailey being a huge reason for Fitz's success or Fitz all of sudden becoming a good QB? Do you guys really need to think about this one???
This is a decent argument. But, if Gailey's going to be the one coaching Fitz for the next few years, then who cares if Fitz's success is solely due to Gailey?

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:19 PM
First, please tell me what my argument is. I know we went back and forth in another thread with you arguing that Fitz = Thigpen, and I said that I didn't agree with your arguments. It seems like the onus of proof is on you.

Prove to me that he isn't? Oh, and I get it...they are physically two different persons...don't be funny, show me facts that back up your belief. I've shown plenty to backup my opinion.

cocamide
11-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Prove to me that he isn't? Oh, and I get it...they are physically two different persons...don't be funny, show me facts that back up your belief. I've shown plenty to backup my opinion.
I'm not trying to be funny. If Fitz and Thigpen's success were all due to Gailey, then why wasn't Edwards successful? Before Gailey, there were times when Edwards played well, so he does have it in him. Isn't that pretty good evidence to support the idea that Fitz's success isn't all due to Gailey?

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
This is a decent argument. But, if Gailey's going to be the one coaching Fitz for the next few years, then who cares if Fitz's success is solely due to Gailey?

You cannot run an organization like that. What if the Bills go 2-14 next year and Gailey is fired? Then we are, yet again, stuck...and the organization would again be years away from being a contender. All I'm saying is that this team should still draft a QB this year...whether it is in the 1st or 2nd or 3rd. Just assuming that Fitz is the long term answer would be the single biggest mistake in this organization history if my opinion turns out to be true. It's not that I want Fitz cut...I just want them to backup the position just in case this is a one-year fluke.

Mahdi
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Again, I don't focus on a player's history (and in Fitz's case it was a brief history) I focus on the player and his skill set.

What kind of throws is he completing? Accuracy? Velocity? Ability to recognize defenses? Making checks at the LoS?

You're evaluating something that is completely irrelevant by bringing up Gailey's success with other QBs. Kordell was playing a "slash" role in Pitt, what does that have to do with Fitz? And Thigpen is actually a skilled player, he has great athleticism and a decent arm. He produced because he has ability and Gailey tapped into that ability.

Fitz is playing at a very high level and executing high difficulty throws. He is not dumping it off for 4-5 yards.

Post patterns, endzone fades, crossing routes, deep slants, deep outs. He is hitting on everything. That requires skill in the NFL, you can't just wing that.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm not trying to be funny. If Fitz and Thigpen's success were all due to Gailey, then why wasn't Edwards successful? Before Gailey, there were times when Edwards played well, so he does have it in him. Isn't that pretty good evidence to support the idea that Fitz's success isn't all due to Gailey?

Edwards was mentally shot...IMO. However, the Edwards situation even backs up my point even more. I believe they felt Edwards could be saved by Gailey because that is what Gailey is known for....making QB's better then they are. When he realized he couldn't do it...he wasn't about to waste anymore time.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Again, I don't focus on a player's history (and in Fitz's case it was a brief history) I focus on the player and his skill set.

What kind of throws is he completing? Accuracy? Velocity? Ability to recognize defenses? Making checks at the LoS?

You're evaluating something that is completely irrelevant by bringing up Gailey's success with other QBs. Kordell was playing a "slash" role in Pitt, what does that have to do with Fitz? And Thigpen is actually a skilled player, he has great athleticism and a decent arm. He produced because he has ability and Gailey tapped into that ability.

Fitz is playing at a very high level and executing high difficulty throws. He is not dumping it off for 4-5 yards.

Post patterns, endzone fades, crossing routes, deep slants, deep outs. He is hitting on everything. That requires skill in the NFL, you can't just wing that.

I'm sorry Mahdi, but you're far from an expert on evaluating players skills and to ignore what a player has done in the past is plain stupid. Even more stupid is ignoring the constant that is Gailey in the examples I've shown. You're arguement is very weak.

mayotm
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry Mahdi, but you're far from an expert on evaluating players skills and to ignore what a player has done in the past is plain stupid. Even more stupid is ignoring the constant that is Gailey in the examples I've shown. You're arguement is very weak.Just to clarify, are you an "expert" in evaluating players skills? I'm guessing no more so than the rest us.

Extremebillsfan247
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
he is not a franchise quarterback.......end thread Since when did it require a franchise QB to win a Superbowl?

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Just to clarify, are you an "expert" in evaluating players skills? I'm guessing no more so than the rest us.

Just to clarify, I've never argued his skills...just the history and facts that are in place. Good try...try again.

mayotm
11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Just to clarify, I've never argued his skills...just the history and facts that are in place. Good try...try again.You're the one calling people out for not being experts. So anybody that doesn't share your opinion doesn't know what they are talking about.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
You're the one calling people out for not being experts. So anybody that doesn't share your opinion doesn't know what they are talking about.

Wrong...all I'm asking is for somebody to show some logical arguements for their opinions, instead of just ignoring history and facts. As I've written before, I don't want Fitz cut or traded...I just want this organization not to assume they have the QB position fixed. I disagree 100% with anybody who states the Bills shouldn't draft a QB in this years draft...whether it be in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round. There should be a backup plan in place in case Fitz's season is a fluke. I'm glad the Steelers didn't think like some on this board because they would have never drafted Roethisberger and instead would've kept Tommy Maddox. Smart organizations should always have backup plans in place...

BertSquirtgum
11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
fitz is a gun-slinger, holcomb is not...

ahahahahahahahahaha. yeah, a gun slinger.......

Mahdi
11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Wrong...all I'm asking is for somebody to show some logical arguements for their opinions, instead of just ignoring history and facts. As I've written before, I don't want Fitz cut or traded...I just want this organization not to assume they have the QB position fixed. I disagree 100% with anybody who states the Bills shouldn't draft a QB in this years draft...whether it be in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round. There should be a backup plan in place in case Fitz's season is a fluke. I'm glad the Steelers didn't think like some on this board because they would have never drafted Roethisberger and instead would've kept Tommy Maddox. Smart organizations should always have backup plans in place...
Obviously we have to draft a QB at some point. But if Fitz continues playing the way he is we don't need one with our first pick.

And I really don't understand what could be more logical an argument than what I have given you.

Fitz is playing at a high level, nothing about what he is doing is fluky. You can't do what he is doing by being lucky.

NOT THE DUDE...
11-23-2010, 04:38 PM
You cannot run an organization like that. What if the Bills go 2-14 next year and Gailey is fired? Then we are, yet again, stuck...and the organization would again be years away from being a contender. All I'm saying is that this team should still draft a QB this year...whether it is in the 1st or 2nd or 3rd. Just assuming that Fitz is the long term answer would be the single biggest mistake in this organization history if my opinion turns out to be true. It's not that I want Fitz cut...I just want them to backup the position just in case this is a one-year fluke.

thats a good point but there is already lots of tape on fitz, and he is breaking out around the 30 start mark, which is where lots of qbs take off...usually for some reason either the light comes on around the 30 start mark or it doesnt...

also if gailey is the sole reason why fitz is playing good then why did edwards suck balls, what about jay fiedler, he wasnt that good with gailey...

of course gailey has something to do with fitz playing above average but lets give credit where credit is due! fitz is making some really good throws, very risky accurate ones that takes skills... also he is not waiting for the wr to get open and then throw it, he is anticipating the opening which is another big sign that a qb "gets it"

SABURZFAN
11-23-2010, 04:39 PM
For the love of Christ. Nobody here is saying Fitz is going to lead the Buffalo Bills to a Superbowl title. The team has to fix A LOT of issues before it can even be considered a division and playoff contender.

some of these idiots sound like Schoop and The Bulldog.... friggin ******s.

dasaybz
11-23-2010, 05:40 PM

I don't know, I see a guy that has thrown 18 TDs in 8 games. If he's not a franchise QB, then can you please define what a franchise QB is?

dasaybz
11-23-2010, 05:43 PM

The message is pretty clear if they don't draft a QB in the first round. I am all for them snagging one in the 2nd or the 3rd, but I highly doubt they don't go LB or DE in the first round. The only way they snag a QB in the first is if Luck somehow falls in their lap.

The difference between drafting a QB in round 1 and 2 is night and day.

NOT THE DUDE...
11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
The message is pretty clear if they don't draft a QB in the first round. I am all for them snagging one in the 2nd or the 3rd, but I highly doubt they don't go LB or DE in the first round. The only way they snag a QB in the first is if Luck somehow falls in their lap.

if i had lots of money and was a betting man, i would bet that buffalo uses their top 3 picks on front 7...

34olb
34de
34ilb

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 06:16 PM

I like Mallett and depending where the Bills end up in the 1st round, I'm not against them drafting him. Fitz is far from being a sure thing.

Philagape
11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
FYI Tyler Thigpen wasn't as good as Fitz has been, at least statistically.

In 2008 Thigpen completed only 54.8 percent of his passes. Fitz has matched his TD total from that year in 135 fewer attempts and has a better YPA.

And Thigpen won only one of his 11 starts that year.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
FYI Tyler Thigpen wasn't as good as Fitz has been, at least statistically.

In 2008 Thigpen completed only 54.8 percent of his passes. Fitz has matched his TD total from that year in 135 fewer attempts and has a better YPA.

And Thigpen won only one of his 11 starts that year.

Nice try...but stats don't have to be absolutely identical to prove the point. Go get Kordell's and they won't be the same either, but the fact remains, Gailey is much more the reason for the success of the offense then Fitz...IMO.

Buffalo Thriller
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Fitz

Philagape
11-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Nice try...but stats don't have to be absolutely identical to prove the point. Go get Kordell's and they won't be the same either, but the fact remains, Gailey is much more the reason for the success of the offense then Fitz...IMO.

No point has been proven. If Fitz for some reason stops playing the way he is, then you have a case. But this issue is totally open until then.
What other QBs have done is irrelevant to whether or not Fitz is a good QB. A QB should be evaluated on his own merits: the quality of his passes and decisions, his pocket presence, and his leadership, which has been outstanding. A coach can only do so much; a QB's execution is up to him and him alone.
It's total speculation to say whether he's a fluke, a system product, or a late bloomer who finally has the right convergence of experience and opportunity.
The real test is coming up; I'm reserving judgment at least until he faces the Steelers, Pats and Jets again.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
No point has been proven. If Fitz for some reason stops playing the way he is, then you have a case. But this issue is totally open until then.
What other QBs have done is irrelevant to whether or not Fitz is a good QB. A QB should be evaluated on his own merits: the quality of his passes and decisions, his pocket presence, and his leadership, which has been outstanding. A coach can only do so much; a QB's execution is up to him and him alone.
It's total speculation to say whether he's a fluke, a system product, or a late bloomer who finally has the right convergence of experience and opportunity.
The real test is coming up; I'm reserving judgment at least until he faces the Steelers, Pats and Jets again.

Again, I have zero problem with Fitz...I have 100% problem with the notion that we don't need to draft a QB. We will not know if Fitz is a fluke until next year and I, for one, do not want to be stuck looking like an ass if he falls on his face. I'd much rather have one of the good young QB's in this draft on the bench and waiting if Fitz falters. That has always been my problem with the Fitz lovefest...not him, not what he's done...but the people who have lost their minds and are not thinking clearly.

cocamide
11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Again, I have zero problem with Fitz...I have 100% problem with the notion that we don't need to draft a QB. We will not know if Fitz is a fluke until next year and I, for one, do not want to be stuck looking like an ass if he falls on his face. I'd much rather have one of the good young QB's in this draft on the bench and waiting if Fitz falters. That has always been my problem with the Fitz lovefest...not him, not what he's done...but the people who have lost their minds and are not thinking clearly.

Who in here doesn't want us to get one of the good QBs in the next draft? I think everyone wants us to take Luck if we can. The only thing I've seen in here regarding people not wanting a QB is us not reaching for a QB. If Luck is off the board or if he doesn't come out, then there's no longer a reason for us to reach for one of the other QBs with our top-5 pick. I agree, in the other rounds, I wouldn't be upset if we were able to get one of the good QBs if they're available.

To get things clear, who in here does not want us to draft one of the "good young QBs" in next year's draft?

Buffalo Thriller
11-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Who in here doesn't want us to get one of the good QBs in the next draft? I think everyone wants us to take Luck if we can. The only thing I've seen in here regarding people not wanting a QB is us not reaching for a QB. If Luck is off the board or if he doesn't come out, then there's no longer a reason for us to reach for one of the other QBs with our top-5 pick. I agree, in the other rounds, I wouldn't be upset if we were able to get one of the good QBs if they're available.

To get things clear, who in here does not want us to draft one of the "good young QBs" in next year's draft?

Exactly, no need to reach. Draft defense and let Fitz get another year, who knows.

BertSquirtgum
11-23-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't know, I see a guy that has thrown 18 TDs in 8 games. If he's not a franchise QB, then can you please define what a franchise QB is?
someone who does it year after year. at this point. fitz is not a franchise qb and to believe he is, is complely foolish.

edit: the browns thought derek anderson was their nice shiny new franchise quarterback and gave him a huge contract. how did that turn out for them? i don't this to happen to the bills.

G Wolly
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
someone who does it year after year. at this point. fitz is not a franchise qb and to believe he is, is complely foolish.

Well, based on the first half of your statement, Fitz hasn't played a whole season for us so you can't fairly determine that stipulation just yet.

And I believe coaching is a big part of it and based on past success, Gailey is a QB Generator.

BertSquirtgum
11-23-2010, 10:47 PM
i will say it again, at this point, fitz should not be considered a franchise quarterback. is he playing well? yes. do i think he will be able to consistently play this well against elite teams? no. therefore, in my opinion, he is not what i consider to be a franchise quarterback.

G Wolly
11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
IMO, franchise QB doesn't always have to mean beating the "elite" teams. I'm obviously not denying the importance but there's much more than that.

Eli Manning. Brother of Peyton. Won a Super Bowl, has a strong public image, used in ad campaigns, etc. But he's not a "great" QB per say, but I'd consider him their franchise QB.

Because for the most part, he IS a consistent guy, but also has the ability to **** up games in an instant.

BertSquirtgum
11-24-2010, 12:08 AM
i would take eli manning over fitzpatrick 1000 times out of 1000 times.

G Wolly
11-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I feel like just because he's been a backup for the majority of his career you aren't giving him enough credit to have the possibility of becoming a franchise QB.

BertSquirtgum
11-24-2010, 12:31 AM
i feel like he hasn't played well enough to beat any good teams.

G Wolly
11-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Oh he's played well enough.

He just hasn't won.

BertSquirtgum
11-24-2010, 12:42 AM
that 46 yard pass to lee was as far as fitz's arm could muster. great back up but we need to draft our franchise quarterback. i doubt fitz will continue to play at this high of a level for the rest of the year. if he does, feel free to make me eat some crow. at this point, i can understand fitz starting next year and letting out draftee learn the ropes but when the real fitz shows back up, i want the bills to have somebody good to replace him.

G Wolly
11-24-2010, 12:42 AM
K.

YardRat
11-24-2010, 02:51 AM
The throw to Johnson in the back corner of the end zone was one of the best red zone passes I think I've ever see.