• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

I was wrong...

I like to pride myself on my accuracy of my player projections in relation to the draft, its one of the reasons many of you ask me questions and why for a few years the BZ allowed me write up parts of the draft guide. However I now have to admit that I completely blew one projection and that was the Steve Johnson projection.

He has shown a lot of growth since coming out of Kentucky where he was a good hands possession type receiver and has shown a dedication to his craft even through injury. The kid has learned to run much better routes, sell his fakes better, block better, and just gets the fundamental stuff (like false stepping). He is very smooth in and out of breaks and is making percise cuts, which are vital. He'll likely (barring injury or complete collapse) be a 1,000 yard plus and 12 TD WR this season which is something to be proud of.

So there you have it, I was wrong on him.

The only big Steve Johnson guy I can recall was Mystic, so Ill give him props though I know there were a few others.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Demon
    • Mar 2003

Re: I was wrong...

A few games don't make a career but it's cool you admit when you were wrong. Its good to see Johnson develop but he's got a long way to go still from being a "star" in this league.
    Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• DesertFox24
      • Jul 2005

I am not trying to tout my horn here but after I watched that UK LSU game I thought this guy was a gamer. I personally thought rounds 4 to 6 was where he was going to go.

When we drafted him in round 7 I was like he was still available awesome this guy is going to be a rookie impact player. I was wrong on that but I always thought this guy was going to become a gamer.

Hopefully he and Kyle make the pro bowl.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Demon
        A few games don't make a career but it's cool you admit when you were wrong. Its good to see Johnson develop but he's got a long way to go still from being a "star" in this league.
        I understand and agree but this kid has done more than just had a couple of 100 yard games. He's worked hard all season and the improvement throughout his game in multiple aspects is clear.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24
          I am not trying to tout my horn here but after I watched that UK LSU game I thought this guy was a gamer. I personally thought rounds 4 to 6 was where he was going to go.

When we drafted him in round 7 I was like he was still available awesome this guy is going to be a rookie impact player. I was wrong on that but I always thought this guy was going to become a gamer.

Hopefully he and Kyle make the pro bowl.
          tout away, you nailed it you deserve the praise. Well done!
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

You're not the only one, DB. A lot of people were hard on this kid through this past offseason.

All I knew was that Jauron seemed to be horrible at putting talent in, so I figured it was at least worth giving him a shot to see what he had. It appears he's wildly exceeding anyone's expectations of him. Have to wonder how much he learned from T.O.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

Why should you have expected much out of a 7th round pick? Kudos to those who saw something in SJ but I would not consider being wrong about a guy no one else wanted a big deal. Apparently most NFL scouts and GM's missed something too.

Comment

• useab
                • Jan 2010

DraftBoy you are not the only one who was wrong. I thought the same coming into the season. Steve Johnson might not be the fastest guy but he can flat out ball.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                  The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                  • Feb 2005

I projected Stevie Johnson to be an NFL star when he was a Junior in High School

I am a genious.
                  In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                    • Feb 2005

im just kidding.
                    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                      • Feb 2005

and I cant spell genious

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

I would have never tagged SJ as starter before he was drafted... Plenty of other teams didn't either hence why he was available late in the draft.

How many teams passed on Brady or other undrafted players.

heck for some players their entire career can be made or broken by the team that drafted him, and whether or not the HC actually likes sed player.

A player could just have a bad pre-season and be cut but even some of those players might have developed given the right environment for their personality / skill sets...

lots of intangibles come into play, but with SJ most of us noticed something in the few times he did get the call, something stood out, and I'm glad to see it coming out now !!!!
                        Last edited by ddaryl; 11-22-2010, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

This was from your draft review....

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          7 (224). Steve Johnson WR Kentucky
                          One of the biggest, yet most unheralded, reasons as to why the Kentucky Wildcats were so effective last season is WR Steve Johnson. Johnson is a strong 6’1, 210 pounds, who excelled at making plays while at Kentucky. We all remember the catch he had v. LSU last season to win the game. Not only that, but Johnson shows a drive to go and get the ball that many young WR’s do not show so early in their careers. Johnson, however, is still extremely raw; he only has two years of DI football under his belt, and only one real year of production. He needs to work on his route running, consistency, and technique to become one of the top three WR’s on a team, but if he does, watch out. This guy could be a real steal this late in the draft.
                          Grade: A-

See...you weren't entirely wrong and actually deserve credit for what you said after the draft.
                          Last edited by Michael82; 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• The King
                            Without me it's just Awe so
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by keithtr
                            and I cant spell genious
                            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                            It was all
                            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

I thought Chad Jackson looked better in the pre-season. I too was wrong about him
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X