PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Comparing Fitz to current NFL QBs

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Forked from: Listening to WGR550 and Fan reaction (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3364339)

I'm all for giving credit where its due and Fitz is having a phenomenal year. But hearing people call into the Thurman Thomas Show trying to compare Fitz to QBs like Jim Kelly, and John Elway is bordering on ridiculous. I really like Fitz and what he is doing for this team, but we need to keep this in perspective and remember that this is still a 2-8 team at this point of the year. It was a fantastic game yesterday, no doubt about it, and being that there hasn't been much to cheer about with this team, I understand the excitement.

But, when we start comparing Fitz to hall of fame QBs because he beat a bad Cincy team, we need to start examining where our heads are at. This team still has a way to go before they turn that corner to being competitive and this game hopefully is a sign that they are heading in the right direction. I'm just trying to say be a bit cautious about what your seeing here. JMO.
I'd rather compare Fitz to the current NFL QBs:

Id say he's CURRENTLY better than:

Cambell, Cassel, Henne, Young/Collins, McCoy, Garrard, Hill/Stafford, Cutler, Smith (both), McNabb, all of Carolina and Arizona's rejects, Hasselbeck

I'd say he's not better than:

Brady, Sanchez, Rivers, Manning, Flacco, Palmer, Big Ben, Schaub, Ryan, Rodgers, Vick, Romo, Eli Manning, Brees

I'm missing a few QBs, but I think you get my point. He's not a top tier QB, but he's also better than about half of the league.

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Also, thinking about it. There isn't really anyone that would conceivably become available that would be an upgrade over Fitz this offseason. Vick, maybe, but I doubt Philly lets him walk. McNabb? No thanks.

The only possible available guys might be someone like Orton, or maybe Cincy decides to part ways with Carson Palmer (I doubt it, but you never know).

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Yay! We have a middling QB.:boom:

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Who did I miss, I can't think of the other 5 or so.

RockStar36
11-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Also, thinking about it. There isn't really anyone that would conceivably become available that would be an upgrade over Fitz this offseason. Vick, maybe, but I doubt Philly lets him walk. McNabb? No thanks.

The only possible available guys might be someone like Orton, or maybe Cincy decides to part ways with Carson Palmer (I doubt it, but you never know).

McNabb just signed an extension, not that there was any hope anyways.

Kolb is the one guy that comes to mind if someone isn't there in the draft. I'd prefer to have him over any rookie not named Andrew Luck.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-22-2010, 01:21 PM

A franchise QB is the way to go. Luck or Mallett, build through the draft. Fitz will be a fine backup which is where he belongs.:bad:

Forward_Lateral
11-22-2010, 01:22 PM
McNabb just signed an extension, not that there was any hope anyways.

Kolb is the one guy that comes to mind if someone isn't there in the draft. I'd prefer to have him over any rookie not named Andrew Luck.

Kolb would fit nicely into this offense. He has good accuracy, and above avg arm strength. He does kind of remind me of Rob Johnson for some reason.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Kolb would fit nicely into this offense. He has good accuracy, and above avg arm strength. He does kind of remind me of Rob Johnson for some reason.
Let's get out big time QB via the draft.......:nono:

RockStar36
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
If the Bills are going to use a 2nd-4th round pick on a QB in the draft, I'd prefer to get Kolb for a similar price. Of course, this is all speculation because Philly might not wanna trade him. But Kolb is young enough, has some NFL experience, learned under Reid/McNabb/Vick, and can continue to learn under Fitz.

JCBills
11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
A franchise QB is the way to go. Luck or Mallett, build through the draft. Fitz will be a fine backup which is where he belongs.:bad:

It's hilarious how much the term "franchise QB" is used on here, and even funnier how you seem to think any early round QB = "franchise QB"

Mr. Pink
11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Who did I miss, I can't think of the other 5 or so.

Kyle Orton, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Favre.

bluerosekiller
11-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I say stick with Fitz & let's use the draft to get some stud defensive players & a developmental QB in the second or third round. Someone to groom for a couple/three years or so.

Fitz is just turning 28 years old. And with less than a year of coaching under a qb/offensive guru in Gailey, I believe it's more than likely that he hasn't reached his full potential or his prime yet. Not by a longshot.
Hell, he's only been the focus of Gailey's undevided attention for about two months now.
Fitz might also be a late bloomer who's still got a good amount of untapped potential as well.

Sure, the wheels could fall off next week for all we know, but with the steady improvement that we've seen from him & the way the team responds to him, I say sign him to a new deal during the offseason & keep him as our starter next for a the next couple of seasons while we build around him & groom a youngster to eventually take over for him somewhere down the line.

Forward_Lateral
11-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Kyle Orton, Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, Favre.

I'd say he's no worse than Orton, Freeman and Bradford

He's playing a lot better than Favre, but what NFL QB isn't?