• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Lets temper that enthusiasm

I've waited 2 days mostly because i had fun watching that game on sunday, but i think it's time to temper our enthusiasm a bit.

we've now won 2 games against possibly the two of the 4 worst teams in the league, proving we're not the worst team but little else.

All of Fitz's great games have come against some down right atrocious defenses (with one exception being Baltimore;which is the 10th ranked pass defense, good but not amazing).. if you remember Losman had a pretty strong streak once upon a time against some downright dreadful defenses a few years ago...

Thats not to say Fitz is like Losman (i think Kyle Orton is a better comparison), just something to keep in mind.

In the league this year scoring and passing offensive numbers are way up (probably due to the new helmet to helmet rules), for all our offensive acumen, we're still bottom 1/3 in pretty much every offensive stat.

Our defense is still stunningly bad.

We're 2-8 and only play 2 teams with a losing record the rest of the season (one of which, the Browns, owns us and has been playing pretty good these last few weeks).

The Bengals had just 1 starter in the DBs playing in the 2nd half, and only 4 healthy DBs on their bench for the 2nd half.. poo-poo their problems all you want but i highly doubt we roll them in the 2nd half if they don't lose most of their DBs in the first.

I hope this last game means we've turned the corner, but i can't help but remember Losman's one good season...
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Lets temper that enthusiasm

Originally posted by Ingtar33
    We're 2-8 and don't play a team with a losing record the rest of the season.

Not to get all facty on you, but:

1. Cleveland is 3-7
    2. Minnesota is 3-7
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I thought tempering enthusiasm was my job. Stop riding my coattails!
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
        I've waited 2 days mostly because i had fun watching that sun on sunday, but i think it's time to temper our enthusiasm a bit.

we've now won 2 games against possibly the two of the 4 worst teams in the league, proving we're not the worst team but little else.

All of Fitz's great games have come against some down right atrocious defenses (with one exception being Baltimore;which is the 10th ranked pass defense, good but not amazing).. if you remember Losman had a pretty strong streak once upon a time against some downright dreadful defenses a few years ago...

Thats not to say Fitz is like Losman (i think Kyle Orton is a better comparison), just something to keep in mind.

In the league this year scoring and passing offensive numbers are way up (probably due to the new helmet to helmet rules), for all our offensive acumen, we're still bottom 1/3 in pretty much every offensive stat.

Our defense is still stunningly bad.

We're 2-8 and don't play a team with a losing record the rest of the season.

The Bengals had just 1 starter in the DBs playing in the 2nd half, and only 4 healthy DBs on their bench for the 2nd half.. poo-poo their problems all you want but i highly doubt we roll them in the 2nd half if they don't lose most of their DBs in the first.

I hope this last game means we've turned the corner, but i can't help but remember Losman's one good season...
        I really do feel like things are different this time and that the upward trajectory is real... but I have also felt that way before and been wrong.

The Fitz issue will play itself out before the season is over. I'm willing to keep an open mind and see what he can do.

For the team, show me you can beat the best. I would love to see a big win over the Pats and/or Jets. I think if they can just do that, they can get over the true hurdle and believe in themselves as a team that can compete.

We still need significant upgrades at many positions but I think another year of draftees and FA's will make us just that much better.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
          Not to get all facty on you, but:

1. Cleveland is 3-7
          2. Minnesota is 3-7
          yeah. i edited that. my oversight.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

They played well against the Ravens, so there is no reason not to think they will play well against the Steelers.

I think a big win against a Jet or Patriot team is just what the Doctor ordered.

I think the foundation has finally been laid.

I would like to see a top flight defensive coordinator in here next year....someone ala Fox.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Historian
              They played well against the Ravens, so there is no reason not to think they will play well against the Steelers.

I think a big win against a Jet or Patriot team is just what the Doctor ordered.

I think the foundation has finally been laid.

I would like to see a top flight defensive coordinator in here next year....someone ala Fox.
              That is the most positive post I can recall reading from you, Historian... It is either a sign of the apocalypse, or maybe, just maybe, we see some light at the end of the tunnel, and it isn't a train!!

Oh ****...wait...I forgot, we aren't allowed to get excited, we have to curb our enthusiasm. Oh well, it was fun to have hope for a little while...back to doom and gloom.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

I agree Ingtar...however I'm still encouraged...our offense is sufficient at this point...not great, but sufficient.

Our D, now thats another story...they are bad. BUT...i am encouraged because I really think that we arent that far off from being a decent defense...we really really REALLY need some legit pass rush help because that can make up for a lot, and I still think we have a solid secondary. No CB's would look good for this defense bc very few CBs can cover for 7 seconds, and we're giving QBs that much time because we cant get to the QB.
                Last edited by Pinkerton Security; 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                  • Sep 2008

Enthusiasm is what being a fan is all about. I say no. JMO...

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                    Enthusiasm is what being a fan is all about. I say no. JMO...
                    He is just saying to temper it, not abandon it altogether.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

My thoughts are:

We have played well in our last 5 games, including winning the last 2.

Gailey has us motivated and believing we can win.

Our O-line is developing. We no longer have to use several draft picks to make it better. More likely, only 1 pick will be needed.

Our WRs - Johnson in particular - look great. Parish and Easley will be back next year. We don't need to draft anyone.

Spiller should be a future weapon as he acclimates to the NFL.

Fitz - whether he is our franchise QB or not - is certainly playing well enough that we won't have to reach for a QB in the draft.

We can really concentrate on defense in the draft.

I am just a long term, loyal fan. I am not an analyst, a coach, a sports writer, or any sort of pundit. The Bills are fun to watch again, and have given me real hope for the future.

Therefore, I WILL NOT TEMPER MY ENTHUSIASM.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                        That is the most positive post I can recall reading from you, Historian..
                        I lived through 1971, and 1976-77.

I lived through 1984 and 1985.

I can tell the difference between this team and those.

Even if they lose outright the rest of the season, this team is still better than those.

It's the effort that I'm gauging, moreso than the wins and losses.

Is Gailey my first choice as Coach? Hell no.
                        Unfortunately my 1st thru 5th choices went elsewhere, lol.

When everyone was calling for his head (at the end of preseason) Jan quietly mentioned that he was going to look for improvement each week to decide whether he would support a second gailey season. So I took that approach too.

It was the right way to look at it. And i gotta be honest with you, after the loss at KC, I actually felt sorry for Chan. I'd never seen a team lose a game in the last five seconds of OT.

I really felt bad. But OTOH, I felt this team had been so close, so many times, it couldn't have been a coincidence.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

add in those 2 OT games and it appears the team is starting to believe in themselves.

I just want to see the Bills hang with Pitt. that would continue the pattern of this team turning the corner IMO

Comment

• Mindbender
                            • Apr 2010

Screw it, we haven't had this much to cheer about in a LONG time. Go Bills!
                            "Talk is cheap, we all know that. It's like I've always said, don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. That's what we've got to do. We've got to show you the baby, and the baby is winning." ~Buddy Nix

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

I agree that we should temper our enthusiasm but there are also several reasons to be CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

On the offensive side of the ball it starts with the coach. He knows his offense and is on the same page as the qb who inturn is on the same page with his weapons. Being their first year together, teams don't really know much about this offense. Will they figure out Gailey down the road? They could but Gailey doesn't seem to be a one track minded guy unlike the last head coach we had. He isn't predictable.

On the defensive side of the ball, I hope we had a proven coach but understand that Edwards was where Fewell was at one point in his career. Will he be as good as Fewell? I don't know. We'll have to wait and see how the young players develop , how the vets are able to adjust to their new scheme and positions and what can happen once we bring the right players in, down the road.

What I do know about this D however is that we can and will improve down the road. Under Dicks philosophy, it was as good as it got. THey hit a wall so to speak because of Dick.
                              Last edited by justasportsfan; 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X