PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Nelson has been awful this year

BuffaloBlitz83
11-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Not only did he get popped for illegal drugs and miss 4 games.

In 5 games played this year he has 3 catches for 25 yards. He can't block a lick either. I had great expectations for this guy. Cost us Ravens game with fumble too.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Me too, I think part of it is Gailey never uses tightends and another part is Fitz loves his wr's. Though Nelson has still been garbage.

RockStar36
11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I won't disagree with the assessment, although I'd argue about how much Gailey uses his tight ends to begin with, but I will argue the Ravens game. He didn't cost us that. The refs did by not blowing the whistle. No consistency with them and the forward progress rule this season.

Mahdi
11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Not only did he get popped for illegal drugs and miss 4 games.

In 5 games played this year he has 3 catches for 25 yards. He can't block a lick either. I had great expectations for this guy. Cost us Ravens game with fumble too.
I think Nelson would be more productive in another system, like the NYJ offense or something.

But in this spread offense where Gailey is putting his best route runners on the field, which is typically the WRs, then his use is limited.

If we were doing more I formation sets with play-action and that sort of thing he would be making more plays.

Jan Reimers
11-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I know he was hurt when he came off his suspension, so I'm not sure how much he played in the games immediately following his 4 game "vacation."

But I agree that he hasn't done much. Some of it may be due to Gailey's not using the TE as a big part of his offense.

I would like to see more of him in the last 6 games to see if he can at least be a receiving threat for us, or if we have to add TE to next season's wish list.

justasportsfan
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Fitz has been more productive with 4 wr's sets especially on 3rd downs

Beebe's Kid
11-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I know he was hurt when he came off his suspension, so I'm not sure how much he played in the games immediately following his 4 game "vacation."

But I agree that he hasn't done much. Some of it may be due to Gailey's not using the TE as a big part of his offense.

I would like to see more of him in the last 6 games to see if he can at least be a receiving threat for us, or if we have to add TE to next season's wish list.
Jan, there you go again, clouding the issue with facts...

The guy has been injured, and the offense was busy finding it's groove, while he was taking a little PTO. Considering that our defense doesn't allow for a lot of experimenting, we kind of have to stick with what's working.

This season ended up not being the opportune time for Nelson to develop... I don't think there is a whole lot more to it than that.

I know!!!! We should trade him for Vick!!!!

trapezeus
11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
not to be overly repetitive, but it's not like he's maybin and benched and someone else in his position is outperforming him.

it seems to be the nature of our offensive beast for the time being.

I'm sure once the league starts to try to take away johnson and evans, and creep up a LB to stop fred jackson, the TE's and slot receivers will "explode all over the opposition" - Steve Tasker.

Extremebillsfan247
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Gailey likes a spread type formation. Your not going to see much offensive production out of any TE in that style of offense. On occasion a play is called to a TE, but it will be a rare occurrence. Nelson will just have to learn to become a better blocking TE to continue playing here. It's not entirely his fault is the point I'm making here.

Forward_Lateral
11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Why would you use your TEs when your WRs are producing at an unheard of rate?