PDA

View Full Version : Only Buffalo could **** up losing.

Canadian'eh!
11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Seriously?

The team was 0-8 and sucked balls. GREAT! So the mission over the 2nd half was basically to develop players, weed out the losers (Maybin) and above all else... LOSE GAMES!

The season is OVER. You're 0-8.

If Andrew Luck comes out and the Bills don't have the #1 pick because they thought they needed to save face, then they are morons.

Hell, Ralph said himself this teams more "luck".

Seriously though. Luck has shown he's going to be a top notch Franchise QB. As clear as Bradford and Ryan were as the #1 overall pick. Maybe even better.

Maybe even the best QB prospect to come out since Peyton Manning.

Getting him could turn the direction of this franchise around very quickly.

Fitz can put up some nice numbers in a no pressure situation, but he also makes a lot of mistakes.

Don't ****ing blow it. Lose, and draft Andrew luck.

Or win 4-5 games, screw up the # 7 pick overall and continue to tread water.

RockStar36
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
It was inevitable that they would win a few games. They were far from the worst team in the league at 0-8 so this was coming. Carolina is definitely the worst and they won't win another game all year, so I'd move on from Luck now.

Oldbillsfan
11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry, they aren't the worst team in the league

cocamide
11-23-2010, 02:52 PM
The NFL should just go to a lottery system so we can stop this 'lose on purpose' nonsense. Tell the guy that spent hundreds of dollars on tickets for his family to watch a game towards the end of the year that his team should fold and lose on purpose.

ServoBillieves
11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
That Ryan Leaf guy looked like a sure-fire franchise QB didn't he

HAMMER
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Seriously?

The team was 0-8 and sucked balls. GREAT! So the mission over the 2nd half was basically to develop players, weed out the losers (Maybin) and above all else... LOSE GAMES!

If Andrew Luck comes out and the Bills don't have the #1 pick because they thought they needed to save face, then they are morons.

Seriously though. Luck has shown he's going to be a top notch Franchise QB. As clear as Bradford and Ryan were as the #1 overall pick. Maybe even better.

Fitz can put up some nice numbers in a no pressure situation, but he also makes a lot of mistakes.

This post is a loser.

psubills62
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Did this really deserve a separate thread? Because it hasn't been discussed enough already, apparently.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Are we that sure Carolina won't give Clausen a chance? Guy didn't even start 5 games

Demon
11-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Are we that sure Carolina won't give Clausen a chance? Guy didn't even start 5 games

Over Andrew Luck? Yeah, we're sure. Andrew Luck dream is over.

Pinkerton Security
11-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Yup because the reason we are 2-8 is entirely on our QB...Luck is going to fix everything, especially our lack of pass rush and run defense and g'damn defense in general!!! LUCK FTW!

kingJofNYC
11-23-2010, 03:06 PM

They'll have two "local" guys to choose from, Bowers/Quinn, but I doubt they take either even though they could use a stud DE, everyone could use one.

Even if they don't want Luck, they'll probably trade that pick to a team who's desperate for a QB.

Redskins would probably give up multiple picks for the guy, they're likely to have top ten pick as well. That regime is desperate and will do just about anything.

cocamide
11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
They'll have two "local" guys to choose from, Bowers/Quinn, but I doubt they take either even though they could use a stud DE, everyone could use one.

Even if they don't want Luck, they'll probably trade that pick to a team who's desperate for a QB.

Redskins would probably give up multiple picks for the guy, they're likely to have top ten pick as well. That regime is desperate and will do just about anything.

Good point about the trade. Would you guys trade up by using our 1st and 2nd rounder to take Luck with the #1 pick?

justasportsfan
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
if Luck doesn't come out next and we think we might win 5 games we should intentionally tank those games just to get him. Yup, I hope the rest of the team plays to lose instead of playing to improve. Luck is going to singlehandedly win the sb by going on the field all by himself.

Demon
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Good point about the trade. Would you guys trade up by using our 1st and 2nd rounder to take Luck with the #1 pick?

No, because it'd probably take more then that and we're in no shape to be handing away picks. Not that Nix would pick the right guys in the 2nd or 3rd round anyways, still, it's a chance we need to have.

T-Long
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't think Luck is coming out anyways, so no reason getting angry over it until he declares

Demon
11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't think Luck is coming out anyways, so no reason getting angry over it until he declares

Very true.

Beebe's Kid
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
This post is a loser.
Like Smokey, I second that emotion....

This guy cries like a little ***** when we lose, he cries like a little ***** when we win...

One can only guess he would cry like a little ***** if we tied.

I am going to guess that he cries like a little ***** about everything/anything.

It is comical there is so much crying from somebody that was quitting the Bills...

Don't go away mad...

kingJofNYC
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
When the Chargers traded Manning for Rivers, the Giants gave up a 3rd round pick in the '04 draft, and a 1st in the '05. Pretty sure the Chargers wanted Osi, before he exploded, but the Giants balked and gave up more picks.

Other recent trade up was the Jets/Browns. Jets swapped firsts, moved from 17(?) up to 4, gave up a 2nd round pick and three roster players Mangini was familiar with; Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, Brett Ratliff. Chancey Stuckey may have been thrown in as well, not sure.

better days
11-23-2010, 03:28 PM
The NFL should just go to a lottery system so we can stop this 'lose on purpose' nonsense. Tell the guy that spent hundreds of dollars on tickets for his family to watch a game towards the end of the year that his team should fold and lose on purpose.

If they go to the lottery system the Bills & Lions will draft #31 & 32 no matter how bad they are. The Pats* will get a high pick no matter how good they are, much like the Lakers.

Playoff teams resting players result in more bad football games at the end of the year than bad teams trying to lose.

X-Era
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
The NFL should just go to a lottery system so we can stop this 'lose on purpose' nonsense. Tell the guy that spent hundreds of dollars on tickets for his family to watch a game towards the end of the year that his team should fold and lose on purpose.A guy spent hundreds of dollars late on the year on an 0 and 8 team? Losing money fast may motivate Ralph to make drastic moves to get way better... continuing to sell tickets won't.

Anyways, I think we are on the right track and it's far from sure where we will pick, including the top pick.

But this team will pick high and has a shot to get a very good player... I'm fine that.

Besides, trading up is also an option. Many would hate it, but it's an option.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Seriously?

Sadly, you're right.......:teary:

Ed
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
If all you care about is losing and getting a top 3 pick every year, why don't you go be a Lions fan? You would love it. You'll never have to experience the disappointment of winning.

cocamide
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
A guy spent hundreds of dollars late on the year on an 0 and 8 team? Losing money fast may motivate Ralph to make drastic moves to get way better... continuing to sell tickets won't.

Anyways, I think we are on the right track and it's far from sure where we will pick, including the top pick.

But this team will pick high and has a shot to get a very good player... I'm fine that.

Sorry, I was trying to say a guy that planned on going to a game late in the year, and so booked a vacation and got tickets far in advance.

justasportsfan
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
If all you care about is losing and getting a top 3 pick every year, why don't you go be a Lions fan? You would love it. You'll never have to experience the disappointment of winning.

I believe the thread starter threw in his fan card. Don't know why he cares if we land luck or not anywyas.

Philagape
11-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Only.

Losers.

Want.

To Lose.

better days
11-23-2010, 03:51 PM
A guy spent hundreds of dollars late on the year on an 0 and 8 team? Losing money fast may motivate Ralph to make drastic moves to get way better... continuing to sell tickets won't.

It is not easy to make trades in the high first round. Mike Ditka traded his entire draft to move up for Ricky Williams. If Luck is there & the Panthers have the 1st pick, I doubt they will take anything less. On the other hand if Luck does not come out, the team with the first pick may not get value for it if they want to trade down. JMO.

Bangarang
11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Luck is so good that he has the ability to stop the run and pressure the QB just by being on our team. At this point I would rather put together a nasty defense that other teams hated playing against then drafting a guy that may or may not pan out.

WeAreArthurMoates
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
You're a disgrace

X-Era
11-23-2010, 03:58 PM
If all you care about is losing and getting a top 3 pick every year, why don't you go be a Lions fan? You would love it. You'll never have to experience the disappointment of winning.I'm not rooting for losses. But I will root for getting the best damn possible QB if I'm not convinced Fitz is the answer.

Another angle is this, just one stud QB can mean more to this teams fortunes than just one stud defender. To get the type of defense we need to win a SB based mostly on defense, this team needs many big upgrades. Add a stud QB and an average defense can get you there. JMO.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Luck is so good that he has the ability to stop the run and pressure the QB just by being on our team. At this point I would rather put together a nasty defense that other teams hated playing against then drafting a guy that may or may not pan out.
LOL, and Fitzgerald is a franchise QB, right?:*****slap:

trapezeus
11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Teams convert a boat load of 3rd downs on us. even in our magical little comeback game, the bengals moved the ball at ease.

1.They scored on the first three drives.
2.The bills changed momemtum because of one fumble recovery touchdown.
3. The bengals drive after that for a mind numbingly long drive to only have carson palmer, a king of bad decisions in key moments throw a pass directly to george wilson.

By that point, the game was over. But the bills defense is the thing that needs the overall. perhaps we should start getting posts about the stud DL/LB who can revamp the entire defense.

X-Era
11-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Teams convert a boat load of 3rd downs on us. even in our magical little comeback game, the bengals moved the ball at ease.

1.They scored on the first three drives.
2.The bills changed momemtum because of one fumble recovery touchdown.
3. The bengals drive after that for a mind numbingly long drive to only have carson palmer, a king of bad decisions in key moments throw a pass directly to george wilson.

By that point, the game was over. But the bills defense is the thing that needs the overall. perhaps we should start getting posts about the stud DL/LB who can revamp the entire defense.Posts on that would be good. I can try to help with that.

BADTHINGSMAN
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
LOL, and Fitzgerald is a franchise QB, right?:*****slap:

No but he is a franchise WR. :biggrin:

SABURZFAN
11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Seriously?

would it piss you off if they finish 8-8 and get a 15-20th pick?

Demon
11-23-2010, 04:41 PM
would it piss you off if they finish 8-8 and get a 15-20th pick?

Just the thought of you for a split second thinking this team would go 8-8 just makes me LOL.

This team may not even win 8 games COMBINED this and next year, let alone win 8 this season.

YardRat
11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
As hard as it is to cash in on a rookie QB in the first round and count on him to become 'the franchise', it's even more difficult to build a positive team mentality and create and foster a winning attitude. I'll take the latter every day of the week.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Im over luck... I wanted the first pick but Ive let it go... we clearly are not destined to get it so whatever.
there are bigger things in life....

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 04:58 PM

No, in fact he was never talked of that way. There were questions about him when he came out and those questions turned out to be true.

we are
11-23-2010, 05:03 PM
lmao...its one thing to want the bills to lose, but how can you get angry at grown men for showing pride and actually trying to go out and win?

what is fitzpatrick supposed to do? sure guys, let me throw a few interceptions here on purpose so you can draft a guy to take my job.

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 05:07 PM
lmao...its one thing to want the bills to lose, but how can you get angry at grown men for showing pride and actually trying to go out and win?

what is fitzpatrick supposed to do? sure guys, let me throw a few interceptions here on purpose so you can draft a guy to take my job.

I have no problem with their effort, in fact, I commend it. However, it doesn't mean that I don't believe it wouldn't be in the best interest of this franchise to to lose and get the potential franchise QB that it has been missing for 10+ years.

RockStar36
11-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I think it was said earlier, but this is why the NFL should have a lottery. It isn't fair that a team like Carolina can tank and screw over their fans, then be rewarded with a potential franchise QB while a team like Buffalo is showing pride in their game and they get punished for it.

bluerosekiller
11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Seriously?

I just can not understand the logic behind posts like this.
SERIOUSLY.

The way I see it, you're not a Bills fan.
How can you be when you've obviously taken no joy in the past two weeks?
Hell, you're even angry that they won for Pete's sake!

What I'd call you is a Buffalo Bills' DRAFT fan.
Rather than September thru January, you're only into April.

Hell,

Nighthawk
11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
I just can not understand the logic behind posts like this.
SERIOUSLY.

The way I see it, you're not a Bills fan.
How can you be when you've obviously taken no joy in the past two weeks?
Hell, you're even angry that they won for Pete's sake!

What I'd call you is a Buffalo Bills' DRAFT fan.
Rather than September thru January, you're only into April.

Hell,

Seriously, don't be that person to say who is or isn't a fan...makes you look silly. Just because some look at that draft as a potential fix for this team's woes...doesn't mean they like the team any less then you or anybody else. IMO, winning 4 games doesn't cause me a lot of excitement, but if that does it for you, then so be it. I'd much rather have a potential franchise QB with the potential of building this organization into a championship contender. You are no more or no less a fan then those who think opposite of you. I may not agree with some on this board, but you will never see me accusing them of being any less of a fan then me. That kind of talk is plain ignorant.

Joe Fo Sho
11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Only Buffalo FANS can root for their team to lose.

NOT THE DUDE...
11-23-2010, 06:01 PM
obviously the team has a ways to go, and luck is a really nice prospect, but we can still win with fitz and still get a great player in the top 10...

nick fairley
marcell dareus
adrian clayborn
robert quinn
ryan kerrigan
dquan bowers

there are plenty of big time front 7 guys that we can pick from that will more than likely be very good...

SABURZFAN
11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Just the thought of you for a split second thinking this team would go 8-8 just makes me LOL.

i don't think they will but i thought i'd throw it out there to humor some people. :cheers:

Jan Reimers
11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Seriously?

Ridiculous.

cocamide
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Peyton Manning has won one SuperBowl, and he's arguably the greatest QB that ever lived. People act like Luck will come in here and automatically start getting us to the playoffs or to the SuperBowl. Even if he comes in and plays as good as Manning (again, one of the greatest ever) we might get lucky and win a SuperBowl. Can Fitz win a SB with this team? I wouldn't bet on it, but based on odds and probability, I wouldn't bet on it if Brady or Manning were our QB either. Would it be worth tanking this season to get Luck if we knew for sure that he'd win a SuperBowl? Absolutely. But, there are no guarantees even if Luck does end up playing as good as Peyton Manning! I just don't get why people automatically assume that having Luck is going to get us to the promise land.

I'd love to have Luck on this team, but I think it'd set our team further back if the current team stopped caring and started tanking for the rest of the season. If the current players get a loser mentality now, then what makes people think they'll automatically change because some rookie prospect that makes three times as much as them joins the team?

PromoTheRobot
11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Only losers play to lose.

PTR

Figster
11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I think it was said earlier, but this is why the NFL should have a lottery. It isn't fair that a team like Carolina can tank and screw over their fans, then be rewarded with a potential franchise QB while a team like Buffalo is showing pride in their game and they get punished for it.

Or how about playoffs for the 8 worse teams and the Toilet Bowl Champion gets the first pick. The NFL could use this idea instead of extending the regular season

I tend to agree with you Rock Star, why give someone a prize for managing/ playing bad. I realize the worse team needs the most help, but lets make them win one or two for the fans/ first pick and prove themselves worthy.

Andrew Luck could set a team up for the next ten years so make them earn it.

Nighthawk
11-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Or how about playoffs for the 8 worse teams and the Toilet Bowl Champion gets the first pick.

I tend to agree with you Rock Star and I realize the worse team needs the most help, but lets make them win one or two for the fans/ first pick and prove themselves worthy.

Andrew Luck could set a team up for the next ten years so make them earn it.

Now that would be something to see....

MikeInRoch
11-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Only Bills fans can actually WANT their team to lose. Geesh.

justasportsfan
11-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Ridiculous.

not as ridiculous as this

Free to a good home.... my fan card
Buddy Nix does not make me happy.

More internal "inner-circle" bull****.

I've had it. I've had enough of the "we just need to pray we are super lucky" philosophy of running a team.

So I'm going to become a NOMAD NFL fan UNLESS:

The next head coach of the Bills must be on of Bill Cowher, John Gruden, Tony Dungy, Marty Schottenhiemer or some surprisingly avaiable quality experienced HC.

The next PC will determine if i'm going towaste anymore time praying this team actually amkes me happy for once, or finally seals my fate as a fan only of the game itself.

I'm leaving the door open for a sudden Shanahan change of heart, or a shocking firing/hiring of Bill Belichek.

But short of a quality HC, I'm done wating my time if they aren't in this to win.

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184954

Figster
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Only Bills fans can actually WANT their team to lose. Geesh.

Its probably more wanting Andrew Luck then wanting to lose and I don't really blame anyone for feeling that way. You might as well stamp "Future NFL Superstar" on Lucks back because that's how obvious it is with the guy.

Figster
11-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Now that would be something to see....

The teams with the best record out of the 8 (worse) gets home field advantage.

It would give fans a reason to buy tickets at the end of a bad season. Champion gets the 1st pick overall in the draft, runner up could get second, 4 teams out of the AFC and 4 out of the NFC.

Or you could have a cut off line, anything 500 or below is Toilet Bowl eligible, get caught in the middle in no mans land and its no extra games/ prizes for you.

Mahdi
11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Seriously?

The first line of your post makes no sense at all. The Bills were 0-8 but they did not suck. They lost close games and gave some solid teams a run. Pats, Dolphins, Jags, Chiefs, Ravens and Bears all struggled to beat the Bills.

This is not a bad football team and they are a few good defensive players away from being a playoff team.

Losing out was never going to happen and would also mean that guys like Fitz, Johnson, Jackson, Parrish, our OL etc are not performing well.

I'd rather play to win with our young guys making plays and becoming stars then lose out.

And BTW, I highly doubt there is a single Bills player that would have your mentality so it is a moot point.

Extremebillsfan247
11-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Seriously?

Or win 4-5 games, screw up the # 7 pick overall and continue to tread water. Yeah, it's unfortunate that we don't have the same team that Cincy has with that quitter mentality. What a shame. lol

G Wolly
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
*****ing when we lose.

*****ing when we win.

Where does it end?

Extremebillsfan247
11-24-2010, 11:08 AM
*****ing when we lose.

*****ing when we win.

Where does it end?When a fight breaks out on the Sabres for the sole purpose of distraction. lol Just a guess though.

OpIv37
11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Seriously?

There is no guarantee that Luck will declare, and if he does, there is no guarantee that he will be good once he gets to the NFL.

Intentionally losing because you MIGHT get something better in the draft is ****ing ridiculous.

Figster
11-24-2010, 11:31 AM
There is no guarantee that Luck will declare, and if he does, there is no guarantee that he will be good once he gets to the NFL.

Intentionally losing because you MIGHT get something better in the draft is ****ing ridiculous.

There is of course no guarantee, but Andrew Luck probably comes as close to one as we will ever see. Besides the facts that Luck does it all and does it well is the heart and the intensity in which Andrew Luck plays the game of football.

When Luck made his recent 58 yard run on Saturday against Cal, squared a defender up towards the end of the play and then crumbled the guy, the look on Lucks face before the hit was priceless, Mercy!!!

I'm a believer...

RockStar36
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
It's ok to like Luck, but the dream is over.

Not only is Carolina significantly worse, but now two other 2 win teams (Cincy and Detroit) will draft ahead of Buffalo thanks to tie-breakers. It's time to move on. There is more than one guy in this draft. Bills have a lot of holes to fill.

Figster
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
It's ok to like Luck, but the dream is over.

Not only is Carolina significantly worse, but now two other 2 win teams (Cincy and Detroit) will draft ahead of Buffalo thanks to tie-breakers. It's time to move on. There is more than one guy in this draft. Bills have a lot of holes to fill.

doggie dreams...

Mahdi
11-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Seriously?

Fitzpatrick is Irish. That's all the luck we need.

BertSquirtgum
11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Seriously?

great thread loser. that's sure what i want out of my favorite team, them to be a bunch of losers and never give any effort. you're a joke.

Albany,n.y.
11-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Really? There were red flags all over the place on this guy that people seem to forget. He was basically a 1 year wonder, he showed up at the combine overweight & with an attitude, he dismissed talking to the Colts, who had the #1 pick in the draft and right after he was drafted he blew off the Chargers to attend a friend's bachelor party. I heard an interview with a guy who was in Charger management who said they were already questioning their judgement in picking him when he pulled the bachelor party stunt.
Leaf is a classic example of style over substance. Once anyone looked into his character & attitude, there was no way he was a sure-fire franchise QB. Leaf was always high risk. Now I happened to get lucky & I evaluated him as a very risky pick at the time he was drafted, but if I could see the red flags on the guy, I'm sure a lot of the professional could as well. It just wasn't that well publicized how risky the guy was. Back then I was a lot more into the draft than I am now. I used to do a writeup that I gave to my friends. Here's what I, a rank amateur, said about the 1998 QBs:
" Leaf & Manning will go 1-2 in the draft. Both appear to be franchise quarterbacks. The expectations are high for both. While Manning has been maligned as overrated, he could emerge as the Troy Aikman of the 2000s. Of the two, Manning is more of a sure thing due to his tremendous work ethic and intelligence. He has been compared to Bernie Kosar because he possesses both intelligence and football sense. When he gets to the NFL he will soon be recognized as the smartest quatrerback in the league. Leaf offers tremendous potential but is more of a risk due to his lack of maturity and tendency to put on weight when left unsupervised. In addition Leaf is a junior who really had only 1 great year. There have been more underclassmen 1st round busts at QB than there have been success stories. Heath Shuler was a can't miss who came out after his junior year and missed. The 1st round is strewn with underclass casualties such as Marinovich, Maddox, Shuler, Brown and who can forget that 3rd round bomb, Billy Joe Hobert. While I don't think Leaf will be a bust, he reminds me a lot of Scott Mitchell. He's been compared with Jim Kelly. For whatever team gets him, he better be Kelly! Leaf can be summed up as high risk, high reward while Manning is more low risk, high reward."
One thing that has changed since 1998 is that an underclassman QB has a better chance of success than that era. However, the red flags on Leaf also translated well to Jamarcus Russell, who was just too much of a risk for the Raiders to take at #1.
I still think if a QB doesn't have the intelligence & work ethic to compliment his physical talents, you don't take him in the 1st round & hope to change the guy by giving him millions of dollars. Guys like Russell & Leaf are the poster boys for people who don't want to take a chance on drafting a QB near the top of the 1st round. A little examination by the teams into their character would have made them avoid those costly mistakes.

Albany,n.y.
11-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Peyton Manning has won one SuperBowl, and he's arguably the greatest QB that ever lived. People act like Luck will come in here and automatically start getting us to the playoffs or to the SuperBowl. Even if he comes in and plays as good as Manning (again, one of the greatest ever) we might get lucky and win a SuperBowl. Can Fitz win a SB with this team? I wouldn't bet on it, but based on odds and probability, I wouldn't bet on it if Brady or Manning were our QB either. Would it be worth tanking this season to get Luck if we knew for sure that he'd win a SuperBowl? Absolutely. But, there are no guarantees even if Luck does end up playing as good as Peyton Manning! I just don't get why people automatically assume that having Luck is going to get us to the promise land.

I'd love to have Luck on this team, but I think it'd set our team further back if the current team stopped caring and started tanking for the rest of the season. If the current players get a loser mentality now, then what makes people think they'll automatically change because some rookie prospect that makes three times as much as them joins the team?
Here's a real stat & you can look it up: A QB taken with the top pick has a 33% chance (1 in 3 or better considering I counted guys who are still in the league & might still win one) of winning the Super Bowl as the starting QB sometime in his career. Considering, we're 0 for 44 in winning Super Bowls, I'd be willing to go for a 33% shot of winning at least once.

Cleve
11-25-2010, 10:30 AM
An old article from 2003 - but it's clear that a 1st round pick QB is no guarantee of success. There are 1st round QBs that most fans (including myself) wouldn't even remember.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/story?id=1539344

The only 1st round picks worth noting in the 10 years from 1992 -2002 were Manning, McNabb, and Vick. Some REAL busts in that group.

And out of the 19, only 1 has a Superbowl ring as a starting quarterback. That's something like a 6% chance of the 1st round QB winning a Superbowl. Not worth tanking an entire season for and pissing off the fans.

I think it's ridiculous as a team strategy to lose every game so that the team could get a 1st round QB, especially given that the odds are good that 1st round pick may not be around in 3 years.

X-Era
11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
An old article from 2003 - but it's clear that a 1st round pick QB is no guarantee of success. There are 1st round QBs that most fans (including myself) wouldn't even remember.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/story?id=1539344

The only 1st round picks worth noting in the 10 years from 1992 -2002 were Manning, McNabb, and Vick. Some REAL busts in that group.

And out of the 19, only 1 has a Superbowl ring as a starting quarterback. That's something like a 6% chance of the 1st round QB winning a Superbowl. Not worth tanking an entire season for and pissing off the fans.

I think it's ridiculous as a team strategy to lose every game so that the team could get a 1st round QB, especially given that the odds are good that 1st round pick may not be around in 3 years.
1) So because there are 1st round QB busts you should not draft one? Using that logic, you should have no draft at all since there is a chance of having a bust at any position and in any round.

2) I don't know where anyone got the impression that the Bills or anyone would lose as a strategy. But if they are perpetually mediocre, losing all of your games gives you the 1st pick and a chance to draft a game changer on your team.

The stats on SB rings, wins, and what round they came from have been gone over. In the past 20 years, 50% of the QB's in the SB were 1st round picks. And in the past 5 SB's, the winner was a 1st round pick 4 out of 5 times.

Albany,n.y.
11-25-2010, 01:52 PM
2) I don't know where anyone got the impression that the Bills or anyone would lose as a strategy. But if they are perpetually mediocre, losing all of your games gives you the 1st pick and a chance to draft a game changer on your team.

Some fans believe they have to have the same mentality as the players. Of course nobody associated with the Bills would consider losing games as a strategy. However, there are times when a fan who can distinguish the difference between the players and himself can root for a loss that will result in the team being better in the future. The best way to look at it is, as a fan I would rather replace a mediocre player with a better player. On the other hand, the mediocre player would rather not lose his job and will do everything he's able to do to keep his job, put himself in a better light etc. This includes winning meaningless games that prevent his team from acquiring his replacement by picking higher in the draft. That part is not so much an intentional effort to keep the team mediocre as much as it is his survival instinct.
Anyone my age has been rooting for the team before any of these players were born. We are allowed to look at the bigger picture being more than one game or more than 1 season. Players really can't have that luxury. It's the fans who blur the difference between the fact a fan can look at the bigger picture than the players who don't understand the difference between the 2 opposing takes on winning and losing meaningless games late in the season.

Aliceinchainsbills15
11-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Seriously?

We need to foucus on defense dude. In my opinion, that is the primary need.

Cleve
11-26-2010, 09:01 AM
1) So because there are 1st round QB busts you should not draft one? Using that logic, you should have no draft at all since there is a chance of having a bust at any position and in any round.

The stats on SB rings, wins, and what round they came from have been gone over. In the past 20 years, 50% of the QB's in the SB were 1st round picks. And in the past 5 SB's, the winner was a 1st round pick 4 out of 5 times.

You misunderstood my post - it was directed to people (fans and media) that think the Bills should intentionally lose games to improve their draft picks. I don't think Nix and Gailey EVER seriously considered losing games on purpose to improve the draft picks.

It would be great to get a first round QB, and definitely would help the team's chances, but there are clearly other paths to winning championships. The 1st round QB is not the panacea for the team's woes that people assume it will be.

And don't misunderstand - I am not a huge Fitz Fan. Fitzgerald is a good backup, but not a good starter. The team management must make hiring a franchise QB, either from free-agency or the draft the number 1 priority for 2011, regardless of whether or not Fitzgerald.

I'm willing to make a wager - let's say Carolina gets the first round draft pick next year, and drafts a QB in the 1st round. I will bet you a platter of Buffalo style wings in the Buffalo wing-joint of your choice that Carolina does not make the Super Bowl with that QB.

JD
11-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Who cares if they aren't the worst team in the league?

Dont you see!??!

By sucking, but not completely sucking we've been in the middle of the pack when it comes to draft order.

Teams that usually suck the worst (aside from the Lions), draft #1 and turn their god damn futures around!

If we were able to draft #1 overall in 2006, do you really think we would be as bad as we are today?

JUST LOSE BABY! I'll take every loss this year if it means we will be a competitor two years from now!!

Bangarang
11-26-2010, 02:47 PM
The Lions, Browns, Raiders & Rams are all playoff contenders thanks to their high draft picks from years past.

/sarcasm

I guess I missed the part where drafting Luck guaranteed us a championship.

BillsFever21
11-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Seriously?

Horrible post. So we should have just mailed in the rest of the season and go winless just to get the 1st pick in the draft in hopes that the guy is the real deal?

I'd rather win a few games and go from there. This is a young team that needs to learn how to win. We've played some close games and lost. A team has to learn how to pull out them late games and win them or still be able to win when you're not playing your best football.

Now if there is a couple games left in the season and a win means you lose the 1st pick then that's different. You just don't take the last 8 games and go winless just to get the 1st pick in the draft.

Yeah this season is lost that's why it's even more important for the young guys to try and gell with each other and try and build a winning culture and some confidence going into next year.

With your logic then we wouldn't have seen what we had in players like Stevie Johnson. The players want to win. You think they are just gonna go out and try to lose every game just to get the 1st pick in the draft? Never going to happen with any team.

BillsFever21
11-26-2010, 11:12 PM

If we had a Top 5 pick it would take more then a swap of 1st and our 2nd round pick to get the 1st pick in the draft.

Hell look what other teams have given up just to move up a couple spots to get into the #1 spot. They had to give up their 1st the following year in most cases or at least multiple higher picks.

Mike
11-26-2010, 11:35 PM

So you would have rather been in the Chargers shoes in 98' than the Colts? Colts lost only a game more, both teams were awful, and the Colts received the top pick that year. As always there were no guarantees. They took Manning, the rest is history.

FYI: Being a Bills Fan, I would have traded places with the Colts in 98. If we had Manning all this time, no doubt we would have been a contender oppose to being irrelevant.

BillsFever21
11-26-2010, 11:56 PM
So you would have rather been in the Chargers shoes in 98' than the Colts? Colts lost only a game more, both teams were awful, and the Colts received the top pick that year. As always there were no guarantees. They took Manning, the rest is history.

FYI: Being a Bills Fan, I would have traded places with the Colts in 98. If we had Manning all this time, no doubt we would have been a contender oppose to being irrelevant.
There is a difference from losing the last game or two to keep/improve your draft status then tanking half or more of the season.

Now if the roles were that us and another team was 1-13 and us winning one more game would cost us Luck then I'd be fine for losing.

I'm not fine with tanking 8+ games for the sake of it though. Teams like Detroit have had Top 5 picks for the last decade and they still suck. Then teams like the Steelers have had mid to late picks for the past decade but never miss a beat. They can keep replacing players and still be competitive. They do a great job of identifying and drafting the players that fit what they want to do and have a good coaching staff around them to build them up.

It all starts up top. There's a reason why teams stay great for years. It's because they have a good foundation up top and good coaching. Take Green Bay for example. They dump Favre and don't miss a beat. They were able to plan ahead of time and groom Rodgers into a good QB and fill in the other players around him on both sides of the ball.