X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Akhippo
    • Nov 2002

Is it to late to U turn on the 3-4

I was first in line advocating the switch to the 34 and was happy we decided to go for it this year.

However, with the way the offense is coming on do we have time to wait for the personnel to make the switch work and work well? I know we drafted with the 34in mind last draft, but outside of Carrington, we really dont have scheme specific players. Troup would be a nice DT right now and Kelsay just got an extension. Plus K Williams is playing out of his mind and is realitively young.

With the upcoming draft, should we look for a stud rush DE and MLB and make our D base 43 that can show alot of 34 looks. Its not like they have been exclusively 34 this year, so it wouldnt be like it was a waste of time learning the defense.
    Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics
  • BADTHINGSMAN
    • Oct 2002

Re: Is it to late to U turn on the 3-4

Anything that takes Kelsay away from being a LB.

Comment

• Ed
      Dude
      • Sep 2002

I'd like to see us just draft the best defensive talent we can and then implement whatever scheme works best with our players. Considering the best D's in the league all seem to be 3-4's and our entire division runs a 3-4, it would seem ideal to run a 3-4 also, but I'm open to whatever is most effective.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
        • Jun 2005

I say stick with the 3-4 and get the talent to go with it.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Akhippo
          I was first in line advocating the switch to the 34 and was happy we decided to go for it this year.

However, with the way the offense is coming on do we have time to wait for the personnel to make the switch work and work well? I know we drafted with the 34in mind last draft, but outside of Carrington, we really dont have scheme specific players. Troup would be a nice DT right now and Kelsay just got an extension. Plus K Williams is playing out of his mind and is realitively young.

With the upcoming draft, should we look for a stud rush DE and MLB and make our D base 43 that can show alot of 34 looks. Its not like they have been exclusively 34 this year, so it wouldnt be like it was a waste of time learning the defense.
          Interesting post. You're actually kind of right that we still don't have a 3-4 roster, so we're not really tied to it.
          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• THRILLHO
            This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
            • Feb 2009

I thought I read a few weeks ago that we were ditching it.

We have been at it for 10 regular season games, I dont see how switching now would do anything. Lets see where we draft, and who is available via free agency before we go starting something over AGAIN.
            True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• k-oneputt
              • Jun 2009

We supposedly drafted two 3-4 d-linemen in Troup and Carrington. So I think they have to stick to the plan. Of course both of those guys have done next to nothing so who knows. I guess when you use your 2nd and 3rd picks from C. Florida and Arkansas St. what do you really expect. They will need even more time to develop.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Our defense is finally playing better and we now should ditch it? I like the 3-4 and want to stick with it. Give me an effective pass rushing OLB, and a stud run stuffing and pass rushing DE, add in a run stuffing ILB and I think we are way better.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

The problem is that we have to switch at all. 34 is the best defense in the NFL right now to be running for an organization and we should have been doing it for years.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

the D may be playing better but it still isn't good enough to beat elite offenses on a consistent basis.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dr. Who
                      • Jul 2002

If by U turn one suggests anything like the Tampa 2, no; scratch that, hell no. I say stay the course -- improve through the draft and free agency. It should help that our offense practices against a 3-4 and that is the defense the rest of the division employs.

Comment

• JCBills
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Typ0
                        The problem is that we have to switch at all. 34 is the best defense in the NFL right now to be running for an organization and we should have been doing it for years.
                        It has been fairly split. Minnesota has had one of the best defenses in the league year after year out of a 4-3. Fewell's Tampa 2 has put the Giants defense back on the map. The current #2, #3, and #4 defenses in the league are 4-3 schemes.

We haven't really drafted for the 3-4 yet. Troup could still be a two gapping 1 tech. Carrington fits at LE. I don't know about going back after one season. It really comes down to personnel and planning, not just the scheme.

With that said, I think we should stick with the current plan. We could only be an OLB and an ILB away from a pretty good 3-4.
                        Last edited by JCBills; 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Akhippo

Just as we are starting to play it well? Why move on from it now?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            the D may be playing better but it still isn't good enough to beat elite offenses on a consistent basis.
                            The same thing would be said if it was a 4-3 D this year. The D lacks playmakers, no matter which way you slice it.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                              We supposedly drafted two 3-4 d-linemen in Troup and Carrington. So I think they have to stick to the plan. Of course both of those guys have done next to nothing so who knows. I guess when you use your 2nd and 3rd picks from C. Florida and Arkansas St. what do you really expect. They will need even more time to develop.
                              There are many arguments for, and against...however the schools that the guys came from is stupid. No, it's ****ing ******ed.

All good players come from huge schools...everybody knows that!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X