PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bills mathematically eliminated from playoff contention now?

Cleve
11-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Given that two AFC East teams, the Patriots and Jets both have 9 wins for the season already, I believe the Bills are eliminated from even an outside shot at a wildcard berth, even if they somehow went 8-8 (and they won't) since they can't place higher than 3rd in the division.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Lol Cleve are u really burning up braincells on this :)

ServoBillieves
11-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't believe so. If we win out, a couple teams lose out, and the Patriots all contract a deadly virus, we might make it in

Cleve
11-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Lol Cleve are u really burning up braincells on this :)

hahaha, true! However, if you read your own custom text above your avatar, I think the answer is there!

I'm still curious to know if we're technically out for another season - because I'm not well.

mikemac2001
11-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Ya we were when we didn't win any games until NOV

BillyT92679
11-26-2010, 03:27 PM
they can't win the AFC East
they aren't technically eliminated from a wild card... but even if they go 8-8 they won't get in unless a miracle happens

Cleve
11-26-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm still not sure how the wildcard works.... The Jets AND the Patriots will both have better records than the Bills, at a minimum 9-7 even if they don't win another game. I didn't think the 3rd ranked team in a division could possibly get a wildcard berth - I thought only the 2nd best in the division could squeeze in.

If someone could explain it, I'd appreciate it.

Dujek
11-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm still not sure how the wildcard works.... The Jets AND the Patriots will both have better records than the Bills, at a minimum 9-7 even if they don't win another game. I didn't think the 3rd ranked team in a division could possibly get a wildcard berth - I thought only the 2nd best in the division could squeeze in.

No, the wildcard teams can both come from the same division. The wildcard is simply the two non-division winners that have the best records, it doesn't matter if they're both in the same division.

For the Bills to win they'd have to win out, the Steelers would have to lose out and there would need to be a couple of ties in the AFC South.

trapezeus
11-26-2010, 03:44 PM
dujek nailed it. there are two wild cards spots, if the bills at 8-8 are better than any other 8-8 team in the AFC, they'll grab the last slot.

that's like 1 million to 1 odds happening. and it would be glorious if it did happen.

Dujek
11-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Oh, and looking at the schedules there'd probably need to be at least one tie in the AFC West.

Ed
11-26-2010, 05:46 PM
If the Bills beat the Steelers they would still be mathematically alive for at least one more week.

TigerJ
11-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Ed is right. After the Jets and Patriots, the Steelers and Ravens have the best records in the AFC at 7-3. The Bills are technically alive, and could remain so by beating Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh wins, they'll have 8 wins and the first tie breaker on Buffalo (head to head). If Buffalo wins, they will stay alive by continuing to win until both Pittsburgh and Baltimore get two more wins. If Buffalo loses, the best they can do is match Baltimore's 7 wins (if Baltimore loses the rest of the way), but Baltimore also has the head to head tiebreaker. Don't get your hopes up.

Buffalo Thriller
11-26-2010, 06:29 PM
A two game losing streak and your talking about a Wild-card chance.

Ingtar33
11-26-2010, 06:34 PM

you're wrong.

There is no restriction on division for wildcard spots, you just need the 2 best non-division champ records to make it.

because there is just 2 wildcard spots, and only the jets or pats will win the AFCE, you probably need an 11-5 or 12-4 record to get the other wildcard this year in the AFC (which will probably go to either the ravens or steelers)

so while we're not mathmatically out of the wildcard, we're pretty much out of the playoffs and have been since week 6

billz83
11-28-2010, 05:25 AM
u cant be serious?!? we have been eliminated a while ago..there is no way in hell we make the playoffz..

Extremebillsfan247
11-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Given that two AFC East teams, the Patriots and Jets both have 9 wins for the season already, I believe the Bills are eliminated from even an outside shot at a wildcard berth, even if they somehow went 8-8 (and they won't) since they can't place higher than 3rd in the division.If they only allow a max 2 teams per division then yes. If it goes purely on record, then Mathematically they are not eliminated. But yeah, you can pretty much write them off. They are done for the year. It's all about playing spoiler, playing for pride, and a job for next year with the Bills now.

Cleve
11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Well, with 5 games left in the season, since the best the Bills can do now is 7-9 I believe they're 'mathematically' eliminated from playoff contention.