PDA

View Full Version : If Fitz comes out of the next 6 games with a winning record.....

kelly2reed4six
11-26-2010, 10:14 PM
If Fitz comes out of these next 6 games having played great, competitive football and pulling in a winning record (we'll say 4-2 with two of those wins against the phins and jets or patriots), are you all in for next year or do you still want QB with our 1st pick?

Let's assume that the Jets and Patriots are both playing starters when we play them as well, as they likely will be playing for the division title.

Buffalo Thriller
11-26-2010, 10:20 PM
No, if that is the case we draft nothing but defense

TigerJ
11-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Well, for starters, I have no illusions about my feelings having any effect on what happens in the draft. Secondly, my support of the Bills as a fan is not conditional on whatever player personnel moves the Bills make. Bottom line, my feelings aren't very important. If the Bills continue to start Fitzpatrick next season, I'll still be a fan and hope he does well and the Bills win.

My concern has been that Fitzpatrick has periods of time during most games that his passing is erratic and off the mark. My fear is that sometimes that could cost the Bills a win. If the Bills were to win half of their remaining games or better, that would suggest either Fitzpatrick is playing well enough that those concerns won't seem to have much merit, or the team is playing well enough around him to overcome any lapses in his play that he might have. Either way, it would make me more comfortable about Fitz continuing to start next yeear, but as I stated earlier, my comfort level really isn't much of an issue anyway.

BillsFever21
11-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Well, for starters, I have no illusions about my feelings having any effect on what happens in the draft. Secondly, my support of the Bills as a fan is not conditional on whatever player personnel moves the Bills make. Bottom line, my feelings aren't very important. If the Bills continue to start Fitzpatrick next season, I'll still be a fan and hope he does well and the Bills win.

My concern has been that Fitzpatrick has periods of time during most games that his passing is erratic and off the mark. My fear is that sometimes that could cost the Bills a win. If the Bills were to win half of their remaining games or better, that would suggest either Fitzpatrick is playing well enough that those concerns won't seem to have much merit, or the team is playing well enough around him to overcome any lapses in his play that he might have. Either way, it would make me more comfortable about Fitz continuing to start next yeear, but as I stated earlier, my comfort level really isn't much of an issue anyway.

Does every QB throw a perfect pass every time or never throw some bad passes? Not saying he is Tom Brady or a future franchise QB but every QB are going to have bad throws during a game or stretches of bad games.

By that logic then Manning is terrible. He threw 3 INT's last week against the Pats with the last one a horrible pass which sealed a victory for the Pats.

SquishDaFish
11-27-2010, 05:06 AM
If he does I would be happy with him starting but still want the young QB to groom behind him but I wouldnt care where as long as its in top 3 rounds.

Night Train
11-27-2010, 06:06 AM
As Allen Wilson of the News said, I'm not drinking the Fitz Kool-Aid just yet.

The NFL has seen backups have some good short term success in the past, only to return to earth after several games of film were available to opposing D coordinators. I love his grit and all out fearless effort but I'm not blind to his shortcomings.

His several ducks a game will cost us against good teams. That INT he tossed against Cinci in the first half...a good team would have converted that and put us away.

It's Detroit and Cinci we defeated and I'm still well aware of that. I've seen big stats from many QB's on losing teams but the key is to produce in clutch moments against GOOD teams.

Here comes a good test this weekend. Eyes wide open.

justasportsfan
11-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Does every QB throw a perfect pass every time or never throw some bad passes? Not saying he is Tom Brady or a future franchise QB but every QB are going to have bad throws during a game or stretches of bad games.

By that logic then Manning is terrible. He threw 3 INT's last week against the Pats with the last one a horrible pass which sealed a victory for the Pats.

Manning has won a sb. He's a hall of famer. He's proven. Our goal is to win one and the question is, can Fitz's erratic passes every now and then in critical times take us to the promise land?

Jan Reimers
11-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Unfortunately, things are never as black and white as some would try to make them on here. I've seen, "If Fitz does well in our next six games," or "If Fitz beats the Steelers," over and over, but it really isn't that simple.

You have to look at the totality of his career, his physical abilities, his ability to beat good teams in meaningful situations, etc. and not just one or a handful of games in a lost season.

The only things that are clear regarding Fitz' improved play is that we can be selective in drafting a QB - we no longer have to reach out of desperation - and we have a decent guy at the helm to allow the more rational development of a young QB.

Fitz may still be the long term answer, but that depends on more than this game or the next 6.

BigZ
11-27-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree with most of what's been said. I don't think anyone would call Fritz a "Franchise Quarterback". He may be our best serviceable QB in a long time but remember how good Bledsoe looked for a short streak of games.

If we have the chance to pick up a good QB in the draft, we need to do it.

Personally, I like the idea of trading down for 2 first round picks with one of them being on the defensive side and the other being Cam Newton!

JCBills
11-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Plenty of QBs around the league will have the same type of lapses in accuracy almost every game, and you don't see those teams in a rush to replace their signal callers. Fitz's seem to come when he's trying to pull the team back into the game, our defense hasn't really helped him much at all. Guys like Cutler, E. Manning, Flacco, and so on throw similar head-scratchers. A good amount of them have top shelf D's to back them up and keep them out of huge deficit situations, something Fitz hasn't had the luxury of.

dasaybz
11-27-2010, 08:51 AM
If Mallet or Luck is sitting there when it is our turn to pick, how do you pass on them? This will be a very tough call for the Bills front office this year.

Saratoga Slim
11-27-2010, 10:03 AM
If Mallet or Luck is sitting there when it is our turn to pick, how do you pass on them? This will be a very tough call for the Bills front office this year.

I don't think you pass on Luck.

To me it seems like the bust factor is higher when there are questions about a QB's intelligence, dedication to football, or maturity. You look at the young QBs that are succeeding, and they're uniformly smart leaders who are totally focused on football (Ryan, Bradford, Flacco, Sanchez etc).

I like Mallett's skill set, but something about him makes me a little nervous as a top 10 draft pick.

If Fitzy is still playing like he is now at the end of the season, and we have a top 5 pick, then the only QB I'd want is Luck.

NOT THE DUDE...
11-27-2010, 11:28 AM
i would say even if he just plays the way he has been playing and we are competitive and win maybe 2 games/3 games then we should stick with fitz.

our d, specifically our front 7 is horrible, its the worst in the league. plus this is a whole new coach, qb, system etc.

give me 2 games and just keep playing the way hes playing and i will be excited about next year

Mr. Pink
11-27-2010, 12:35 PM
If for some reason the Bills finish out the year 6-2, including the last 2 wins, QB isn't a huge priority. Some O-line, some D-line, LB and a shutdown corner would be in order in this draft.

No one should expect playoffs next year, so if Fitz doesn't step it up or has a huge regression next season, then you draft the QB to replace him.

Of course if we go 2-14 to 4-12 then I'd say QB should be a priority.

TigerJ
11-27-2010, 09:55 PM

By that logic then Manning is terrible. He threw 3 INT's last week against the Pats with the last one a horrible pass which sealed a victory for the Pats.I agree that most QBs have an occasional off target pass, and bad games. I know it's my subjective opinion, but it does seem to me that thus far in his Buffalo career, Fitzpatrick has had some lulus, and some of them have come at very critical times.

I did see that Manning had a terrible game, though that is pretty unusual for him.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and I have stated that it does not affect my status as a Bills fan. I will not "defect" if the Bills choose to make Fitzpatrick their starter long term. Fitzpatrick will prove me wrong, or he'll prove me right. I will be just as happy, actually more so, if I'm wrong.

BertSquirtgum
11-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Manning has won a sb. He's a hall of famer. He's proven. Our goal is to win one and the question is, can Fitz's erratic passes every now and then in critical times take us to the promise land?

i don't even believe he can take us into the playoffs

Novacane
11-28-2010, 08:21 AM

It would be easy to pass on Mallet.

Extremebillsfan247
11-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I would say you can then afford to take a chance on a guy that could fall to you in the second round for developmental purposes behind Fitz next year. JMO

Ingtar33
11-28-2010, 08:38 AM
It won't happen, but it is nice to think about isn't it?

-if they get to 6-10 all it means is we're about where we were last year with DJ/Fewell as our HC

X-Era
11-28-2010, 08:48 AM
If Fitz comes out of these next 6 games having played great, competitive football and pulling in a winning record (we'll say 4-2 with two of those wins against the phins and jets or patriots), are you all in for next year or do you still want QB with our 1st pick?

Let's assume that the Jets and Patriots are both playing starters when we play them as well, as they likely will be playing for the division title.I would still be looking for an insurance policy if Fitz fails. And that could mean a QB at any point in the draft. I think it will come early. It could be Luck in the 1st or someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. I will be a bit surprised if we don't take a QB before round 4.

X-Era
11-28-2010, 08:52 AM
As Allen Wilson of the News said, I'm not drinking the Fitz Kool-Aid just yet.

The NFL has seen backups have some good short term success in the past, only to return to earth after several games of film were available to opposing D coordinators. I love his grit and all out fearless effort but I'm not blind to his shortcomings.

His several ducks a game will cost us against good teams. That INT he tossed against Cinci in the first half...a good team would have converted that and put us away.

It's Detroit and Cinci we defeated and I'm still well aware of that. I've seen big stats from many QB's on losing teams but the key is to produce in clutch moments against GOOD teams.

Here comes a good test this weekend. Eyes wide open.That's exactly it.

How many can you think of?
Derek Anderson
RJ

TigerJ
11-28-2010, 04:54 PM
I was pretty impressed with Fitzpatrick's play in the Steelers game. Regarding the inaccuracy issues I have preceived in Fitzpatrick, there wasn't inordinate evidence of that today. He had one short pass that he kind of threw into the ground, and a couple overthrown deep balls, but those kinds of things happen to QBs all the time. Most of the time Fitzpatrick was accurate today, and I have no complaints about anything else in his game.

Borosai
11-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Fitz did his part today against a very good defense.

Nighthawk
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Fitz did his part today against a very good defense.

Fitz's numbers were inflated by a good run on a 4 yard dump pass to Jackson. He was very average, at best, today.

Borosai
11-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Fitz's numbers were inflated by a good run on a 4 yard dump pass to Jackson. He was very average, at best, today.

Every QB benefits from big plays from their receivers. Nothing new. He passed a lot today. If you take into account the number of drops, especially the 50-yard, should've-been-game-winning-td pass in OT, his numbers are fine. And of course the team should've walked away with a big win. Again, he did his part.

Joe Fo Sho
11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm convinced that the Bills need to extend his contract.

mayotm
11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Fitz's numbers were inflated by a good run on a 4 yard dump pass to Jackson. He was very average, at best, today.Love it. I guess you aren't counting all the drops that hurt Fitz's numbers. You've made your decision on Fitz regardless of how he plays. Way to be objective as usual.

kelly2reed4six
11-28-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm sorry, but this is the most ******ed reply....there is no truth to what you said....he made a play...that's a fact...I don't care if he threw it backward 40 yds and freddy took it for a td from there.....a good play is a good play period. I'm sure manning and brady have had plenty of those types of plays in their careers....are their stats inflated as well?.......stupid stupid comment

Mr. Pink
11-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry, but this is the most ******ed reply....there is no truth to what you said....he made a play...that's a fact...I don't care if he threw it backward 40 yds and freddy took it for a td from there.....a good play is a good play period. I'm sure manning and brady have had plenty of those types of plays in their careers....are their stats inflated as well?.......stupid stupid comment

Montana's stats were inflated by Rice and Taylors great ability to gain YAC.

All QBs get help from the playmakers from time to time.

TigerJ
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
. . . and their stats all get hurt by receivers who drop passes.