PDA

View Full Version : Going Forward

Yasgur's Farm
11-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Here's my core of players to build around... I'm not saying they're all great probowl players... But they fill they're positions well.

Whitner - contract expires after 2010
Poz - contract expires after 2010
Fits - contract expires after 2011
Stevie - contract expires after 2011
Bell - contract expires after 2011
McKelvin
Lee Evans
Freddy Jackson
CJ Spiller
Eric Wood
Andy Levitre
Kyle Williams
Dwan Edwards

2nd tier...
Jairus Byrd
Draton Florence
George Wilson
Alex Carrington
Reggie Corner
Antonio Coleman
Corey McIntyre
Brian Brohm
Chris Kelsay
Geoff Hangartner
Arthue Moats
Torell Troup
Kraig Urbik

That's 26... Given 3 more dedicated to ST's makes 29.
NOW LET'S GO FIND THE 24 OTHERS!

Beebe's Kid
11-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I'd add Roscoe, and possibly Donald Jones and David Nelson to that group.

I think this season will be good for Byrd. I don't think he's played poorly, but his numbers aren't sexy, so the fans will turn on him. Hopefully he will take this opportunity to escalate his play to the next level.

I am disappointed that Shawn Nelson got himself in hot water, and we didn't have a chance to see him develop. There is still time, but it looks like he has found himself in the doghouse.

Evans, I feel, had shown some signs of decline. He has never been a problem, as far as drops, but he has dropped several this year, and has maybe lost a step...either that or he is not applying maximum effort. He may bounce back, but he may not figure in long term.

Florence plays hard, and after AFC DPOW, it's hard to criticize, but he makes some horrible plays. I would like to see the corners upgraded, but have to think the front 7 is more important. McGee is probably going to have to retire, so this could become a position of need.

Carrington looked to be in on several plays last week, and I hope we continue to see him improve. We're stuck with Kelsay, who looks fine as a DE. Coleman is going to be our diamond in the rough.

Overall, I would disagree with the assessment of many, that this team has no talent. I just don't feel we have enough of it.

bigbub2352
11-27-2010, 10:14 AM
nice post

i think some of the 2nd teir guys could be shown the door...but all in all i agree
add size and leadership

X-Era
11-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Here's my core of players to build around... I'm not saying they're all great probowl players... But they fill they're positions well.

McKelvin
Lee Evans
Freddy Jackson
CJ Spiller
Eric Wood
Andy Levitre
Kyle Williams
Dwan Edwards

2nd tier...
Jairus Byrd
Draton Florence
George Wilson
Alex Carrington
Reggie Corner
Antonio Coleman
Corey McIntyre
Brian Brohm
Chris Kelsay
Geoff Hangartner
Arthue Moats
Torell Troup
Kraig Urbik

So, I have one issue with your list. I think you underestimate what veteran depth can do for you.

To me, one of the smartest moves Nix has made is bringing in vet linebackers like Torbor and Ayodele. Moats is not solid enough yet to be starting and were more than half way through the season. I want to have insurance for the rook's.

Also, I would keep Maybin and yes Merriman. Keep them through training camp and if they don't pan out let them go. We must have a pass rushing LB, and we have no other options at this point.

Don't get me wrong though, I want us to go after defensive upgrades hard and to me that means 2-3 LB'ers as well as another DE and DT/NT.

Demon
11-27-2010, 11:40 AM

McKelvin
Lee Evans
Freddy Jackson
CJ Spiller
Eric Wood
Andy Levitre
Kyle Williams
Dwan Edwards

2nd tier...
Jairus Byrd
Draton Florence
George Wilson
Alex Carrington
Reggie Corner
Antonio Coleman
Corey McIntyre
Brian Brohm
Chris Kelsay
Geoff Hangartner
Arthue Moats
Torell Troup
Kraig Urbik

I'd add Roscoe, and possibly Donald Jones and David Nelson to that group.

Are these guys in bold you guys are already willing to place into a core group of guys to rebuild this team fan favorites of yours or what, because none of them have done a single thing yet. If we're putting stock into Carrington and Troup, might as well put Maybin there too and hope he develops. Carrington and Troup can't sniff the field and both are a year older then Maybin. Brohm? What has he done? Donald Jones has 1 good game.... he may have potential, who knows, but too early to tell if he'll even be on the roster next season and Kraig Urbik is just making his first NFL start. Let's wait and see how he does in several starts before declaring he's someone we want to be part of the group as we go to rebuild.

Yasgur's Farm
11-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm looking for 24 additional players... Let's go down math blvd shall we.

7 rookies... Maybe 1 or 2 more if we hit the undrafted lottery once again.
4 free sgaents... Can we really hope for more?

Where do the other 13 come from let alone your suggestion to eliminate 5 from my list?

Perhaps you might compile a reasonable list of your own!

YardRat
11-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm looking for 24 additional players... Let's go down math blvd shall we.

7 rookies... Maybe 1 or 2 more if we hit the undrafted lottery once again.
4 free sgaents... Can we really hope for more?

Where do the other 13 come from let alone your suggestion to eliminate 5 from my list?

Perhaps you might compile a reasonable list of your own!

The other 13 come from the current roster, also, in all likelihood. A different take on your initial post...

QB-Fitz, Brohm, Rookie
HB-Jackson, Spiller, Free Agent
FB-McIntyre
WR-Johnson, Evans, Easley, Jones, Parrish
TE-Nelson, Stupar, Rookie/FA
OT-Bell, Wang, Howard, Rookie/FA
G-Wood, Levitre, Urbik
C-Hangartner

DT-Williams, Troup, Rookie/FA
DE-Edwards, Carrington, Johnson, Rookie/FA
LB-Poz, Kelsay, Coleman, Moats, Davis, Ayodele, Maybin,Rookie/FA, Rookie/FA
CB-McKelvin, Florence, Corner, McGee, Youboty, Rookie/FA
S-Bird, Wilson, Whitner, Corto, Scott/Harris/Rookie/FA

P-Moorman
PK-Lindell
LS-Sanborn

Your original 29 are in regular font (basically). Bold are guys I think will probably be here next year. Underline/italic = additions/upgrades made via free agency or the draft. I think I ended up with 14 (possibly 15) current guys sticking, and 9 (possibly 10) new faces.

mightysimi
11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
The other 13 come from the current roster, also, in all likelihood. A different take on your initial post...

QB-Fitz, Brohm, Rookie
HB-Jackson, Spiller, Free Agent
FB-McIntyre
WR-Johnson, Evans, Easley, Jones, Parrish
TE-Nelson, Stupar, Rookie/FA
OT-Bell, Wang, Howard, Rookie/FA
G-Wood, Levitre, Urbik
C-Hangartner

DT-Williams, Troup, Rookie/FA
DE-Edwards, Carrington, Johnson, Rookie/FA
LB-Poz, Kelsay, Coleman, Moats, Davis, Ayodele, Maybin,Rookie/FA, Rookie/FA
CB-McKelvin, Florence, Corner, McGee, Youboty, Rookie/FA
S-Bird, Wilson, Whitner, Corto, Scott/Harris/Rookie/FA

P-Moorman
PK-Lindell
LS-Sanborn

Your original 29 are in regular font (basically). Bold are guys I think will probably be here next year. Underline/italic = additions/upgrades made via free agency or the draft. I think I ended up with 14 (possibly 15) current guys sticking, and 9 (possibly 10) new faces.

No David Nelson? I would put him in for Jones. Otherwise I would agree.

jamze132
11-28-2010, 02:19 AM
We aren't going to be able to afford Stevie eventually.

YardRat
11-28-2010, 07:54 AM
No David Nelson? I would put him in for Jones. Otherwise I would agree.

Good catch...I knew I'd miss somebody. If we keep six WR's, then somebody from CB or LB would have to go IMO. Maybe Youboty, Maybin, or one of our FA's from this season (Davis or Ayodele).

Yasgur's Farm
11-28-2010, 08:05 AM
I said core... You know... As in guys we build the future around. I didn't say 53 roster prediction.

I'm not sure that Fred Jackson can be a core player due to his age... But I included him anyway.