PDA

View Full Version : Peter King Predicts Two Teams that might Pick Cam Newton

Ebenezer
11-27-2010, 04:52 PM
On the NBC post-game show Peter King just predicted two teams who will have top 10 picks and who might have an interest in, "their QB of the future", Cam Newton.

San Francisco and Buffalo.

Thoughts?

Ginger Vitis
11-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Puke.. I''ll jump off a bridge if the Bills take Newton with a Top 10 pick

IAG
11-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Keep with Fitz. Find a D-Lineman to match with Kyle Williams

Scumbag College
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Peter King is often wrong. Unless the Bills trade back in the first round, I could really take or leave any first round QB that isn't Andrew Luck. I think that there are big enough question marks on Mallett, Locker, and Newton that risking a top 5 or 10 pick on any of them would be a huge gamble.

BertSquirtgum
11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
i would rather the bills sign fitz for 7 years than have them pick fig newton in the draft.

Night Train
11-27-2010, 05:30 PM
I doubt I've ever seen a guy throw that good on the rollout. Blitzing him is suicide.

He knows he can't take off on design runs in the NFL but he has all the athleticism in the world and can drill the numbers off his receivers. And he still has an upside. I like him far better than Mallet or Locker.

I'll gamble on that today & tomorrow.. Then D Front 7 the next 2-3 Picks.

X-Era
11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Newton hasn't shown he can go through progressions, appears to have character concerns, and is a one year wonder... pass.

mrbojanglezs
11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
in the first round?

NOT THE DUDE...
11-27-2010, 06:22 PM
no! i will take front 7 the whole draft

Buffalo Thriller
11-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Character issues? The guy has a smile on his face 24/7! I would love to have him.

X-Era
11-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Character issues? The guy has a smile on his face 24/7! I would love to have him.Charles Manson used to smile a lot too. Just kidding, I had to.

What I want to see is the NCAA clear his name. NFL teams may want to do there own investigation on him as well.

Ebenezer
11-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Charles Manson used to smile a lot too. Just kidding, I had to.

What I want to see is the NCAA clear his name. NFL teams may want to do there own investigation on him as well.
King said he will be very well investigated and might end up the most investigated college player of all time.

X-Era
11-27-2010, 07:38 PM
King said he will be very well investigated and might end up the most investigated college player of all time.I hope for his sake, he comes out clean.

I've never been a big fan of QB's who either throw to the primary target or run. I feel the best QB's are able to pick apart defenses.

YardRat
11-27-2010, 07:52 PM
King is an *******. That being said...

I really hope the Bills don't blow a top 5 pick on a late first/early second round pick, but Newton certainly is having the type of season that vaults guys up the draft board. I'm not a fan of hybrid RB/TE/WR/QB's that tuck and run if their first check is covered...would rather have a pocket passer that has a little bit of experience going through progressions.

don137
11-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Newton hasn't shown he can go through progressions, appears to have character concerns, and is a one year wonder... pass.

You just said why the Bills will not draft him. Buddu Nix does not like one year wonders.

BertSquirtgum
11-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Character issues? The guy has a smile on his face 24/7! I would love to have him.

ahahahahaha, he smiles so he doesn't have any character issues? wtf planet are you from?

TigerJ
11-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Buffalo looks like they will be out of the running for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, and at least in the minds of most pundits outside of Buffalo , the team needs to pick up a good QB, so Buffalo is going to be on lists like this. It's possible. He would either have to slip to the second round, which I could see happening, or Buffalo would have to trade back into the late first. It's also possible Buffalo could trade down from their high first round pick, but I think that's a long shot.

Buffalo Thriller
11-27-2010, 09:47 PM
ahahahahaha, he smiles so he doesn't have any character issues? wtf planet are you from?We all know his father took the money, aside from that what issues does he have charcter-wise?

Demon
11-27-2010, 09:50 PM
We all know his father took the money, aside from that what issues does he have charcter-wise?

Umm.... stealing and cheating in school.

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/report-cam-newton-left-florida-after-three-charges-of-academic-cheating/1

Buffalo Thriller
11-27-2010, 10:00 PM
When he is in the NFL, what character issues would WE face? He wont be in school..

better days
11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
When he is in the NFL, what character issues would WE face? He wont be in school..

My biggest concern would be that once he got paid, he would not put in the effort to develop, much like Russell with the Raiders, so I would say lack of maturity would be a character issue that would concern me.

Buffalo Thriller
11-27-2010, 10:19 PM
My biggest concern would be that once he got paid, he would not put in the effort to develop, much like Russell with the Raiders, so I would say lack of maturity would be a character issue that would concern me.

I would consider that a risk with any high paid rookie.

better days
11-27-2010, 10:35 PM
I would consider that a risk with any high paid rookie.

Well it is a far greater risk with someone with the track record Cam has than say a person like Tebow.

tampabay25690
11-27-2010, 10:38 PM

X-Era I have to disagree with you.
#1 you can't teach overall talent and it's obvious CAM has it. The guy is by far the best player in the nation.
Character issues, yea he made a mistake in Florida and paid his dues on that.
1 year wonder we will never know becasue he was never given the opportunity till this year.

Do I think something will come out with his scandal probably but I blame his father on that........
Progressions, that he will learn and athletes that can move make things happen. I think you are over analyzing the guy....
DO I think he is a top 10 guy, I really don't know yet.....

Buffalo Thriller
11-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Every major University does the same thing Auburn has done. Name a program and I guarentee they pay for atheletes. Milton Mcgregor is on the board of trustees at Auburn. He was wire-tapped by the Feds in an on-going ivestigation for bribing public officials, it just so happens they recorded a conversation he had about Cam and the money situation. So Cam's "track record" is as polished as any other major athelete.

X-Era
11-27-2010, 10:51 PM
X-Era I have to disagree with you.
#1 you can't teach overall talent and it's obvious CAM has it. The guy is by far the best player in the nation.
Character issues, yea he made a mistake in Florida and paid his dues on that.
1 year wonder we will never know becasue he was never given the opportunity till this year.

Do I think something will come out with his scandal probably but I blame his father on that........
Progressions, that he will learn and athletes that can move make things happen. I think you are over analyzing the guy....
DO I think he is a top 10 guy, I really don't know yet.....OK. It's just my take. But, if you look at a similar style like Vick, the guy had success before his trip to the big house. Now, he is a much better player because of his ability to find open guys and pick apart defenses. Newton may develop that or may not. Personally, I want to see that a prospect can do it before entering the NFL.

tampabay25690
11-27-2010, 11:18 PM
OK. It's just my take. But, if you look at a similar style like Vick, the guy had success before his trip to the big house. Now, he is a much better player because of his ability to find open guys and pick apart defenses. Newton may develop that or may not. Personally, I want to see that a prospect can do it before entering the NFL.

I understand your concern......
I have no idea as well what he will turn into either.....
It's really hard to ignore what he has done this year, he has turned into something special and look at Fl this year, CAM should be there guy......

BertSquirtgum
11-28-2010, 01:33 AM
lets draft another maybin, that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Lexwhat
11-28-2010, 03:36 AM

Not too worried about the "character concerns," but the fact that he's a 1-year wonder raises huge red flags, especially for a Quarterback.

I want a quarterback with has played at least 2 full seasons of college football. Even then, I would like to see "him" sit on the bench for at least a year (preferably 2) before becoming a starter.

However, if Nix / Gailey decide to draft Newton because they think they can turn him into a legitimate starting QB, I will certainly support that decision. I feel that they are competent enough to evaluate college QBs.

Don't Panic
11-28-2010, 07:34 AM

If this money thing shakes out like it has, that would be my concern too. I wouldn't touch him in the first round. If someone else wants to, so be it. I still think Andrew Luck is the only QB worth a top 10 pick, and Jake Locker is probably the only one who will change my mind on that.

Beebe's Kid
11-28-2010, 07:34 AM
This guy is far from Maybin...

I am not saying that he is the second coming, like BT, but please consider that he has only had one year to face stiff competition, and while he plays in the lowly SEC, he is destroying future NFL defenders every week.

This guy is serious talent. Can't deny that. If we want him, we'll have to get in there before Al.

Edit: Who really cares about the money thing? I can't believe so many here need that to "clear." I would be more concerned with the cheating and stealing. His dad cashing in on his ability is not right, but it is not uncommon either.

better days
11-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Every major University does the same thing Auburn has done. Name a program and I guarentee they pay for atheletes. Milton Mcgregor is on the board of trustees at Auburn. He was wire-tapped by the Feds in an on-going ivestigation for bribing public officials, it just so happens they recorded a conversation he had about Cam and the money situation. So Cam's "track record" is as polished as any other major athelete.

You are just wrong. Not every University pays for their athletes & Cams track record goes far beyond that anyway.

The only way I would touch Cam is with a low rnd pick with an incentive based contract.

mayotm
11-28-2010, 07:48 AM
We all know his father took the money, aside from that what issues does he have charcter-wise?I see that you've followed the story closely.

Buffalo Thriller
11-28-2010, 07:50 AM
You are just wrong. Not every University pays for their athletes & Cams track record goes far beyond that anyway.

The only way I would touch Cam is with a low rnd pick with an incentive based contract.

Florida State,Florida,Alabama,Auburn,USC,Ohio State i could go on..

Extremebillsfan247
11-28-2010, 07:54 AM
This team might not go QB at all in next years draft. I'm hesitant to get hopes up that this team is all in on a future franchise QB, especially with the way Fitz has been playing lately. We still have Brohm, and Brown on the roster. Even though they may not have the potential of Luck, Mallet, or Newton, it may be enough to make them look at another position for their first pick. JMO

Buffalo Thriller
11-28-2010, 07:57 AM
For me it's Luck No.1, No.2, from a talent stand point, is Newton. Only two i would want witha first. Christian Ponder would make me very happy in the 2nd. Had a great game against Florida.

paranoid
11-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Is there any evidence of this, or just general cynicism talking here?

Buffalo Thriller
11-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Is there any evidence of this, or just general cynicism talking here?

Go to a practice and look at the cars the players are driving.

better days
11-28-2010, 08:10 AM

Show me some proof of this. As I said Cams track record goes far beyond that anyway. He was arrested while at Florida & completed a pretrial diversion program which would indicate his guilt.

Extremebillsfan247
11-28-2010, 08:18 AM
My biggest concern would be that once he got paid, he would not put in the effort to develop, much like Russell with the Raiders, so I would say lack of maturity would be a character issue that would concern me. This has no bearing on whether he can succeed at the next level or not, its nothing more than an excuse to cancel him out because some people feel its steeling thunder away from Luck. Lets be honest here. lol

Extremebillsfan247
11-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Show me some proof of this. As I said Cams track record goes far beyond that anyway. He was arrested while at Florida & completed a pretrial diversion program which would indicate his guilt.So, big deal. Mike Vick was arrested for killing dogs. It doesn't stop many from wanting him on their team though. Talent will always make people look the other way if it has potential to win you ball games. That is an undeniable fact.

X-Era
11-28-2010, 08:43 AM
So, big deal. Mike Vick was arrested for killing dogs. It doesn't stop many from wanting him on their team though. Talent will always make people look the other way if it has potential to win you ball games. That is an undeniable fact.It will make SOME people look the other way, not all. Nix and Gailey? I think they want high character players.

I would go after Vick right now because he has become a complete QB. Cam is not. Vick was in the NFL when that happened, Atlanta didn't get to choose whether they wanted to deal with a guy like that or not. Any team drafting Cam does.

I want a QB who is able to spread the ball around. Losman could throw to the main guy or run. That is a very limited set of options in the NFL. If you double team the #1 WR, and leave a LB to play contain, you just took out much of Cam's game. Yes, he could still get yards, Vick did. But there will be games, against top defenses, where you can't just run, you need to find the open guys.

I want a QB with skills more similar to Manning or Brady than Vick anyways. I want a surgeon who will slice the defense, has the patience to wait for things to develop, and who will wear out defenders as he moves the chains all game long. If you have a QB that can use all options and see the field, you have a potent offense against even the toughest defenses.

better days
11-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Go to a practice and look at the cars the players are driving.

There is little doubt that boosters take care of players with leased cars & no show jobs. That is much different than a player trying to extort money from a University IMO.

Extremebillsfan247
11-28-2010, 09:01 AM
It will make SOME people look the other way, not all. Nix and Gailey? I think they want high character players.

I would go after Vick right now because he has become a complete QB. Cam is not. Vick was in the NFL when that happened, Atlanta didn't get to choose whether they wanted to deal with a guy like that or not. Any team drafting Cam does.

I want a QB who is able to spread the ball around. Losman could throw to the main guy or run. That is a very limited set of options in the NFL. If you double team the #1 WR, and leave a LB to play contain, you just took out much of Cam's game. Yes, he could still get yards, Vick did. But there will be games, against top defenses, where you can't just run, you need to find the open guys.

I want a QB with skills more similar to Manning or Brady than Vick anyways. I want a surgeon who will slice the defense, has the patience to wait for things to develop, and who will wear out defenders as he moves the chains all game long. If you have a QB that can use all options and see the field, you have a potent offense against even the toughest defenses.
Let's just remember one thing. It's not about what we want, its about what Nix and Gailey want. Nix is an SEC guy. With that knowledge, I would have to bet that if this team does go QB with their first pick, and Luck is no longer there, its either going to be Newton, or Mallet. Also, your making comparisons to Vick and I'm not. I'm comparing situations off the field. Totally different subject. You can't compare any of these QBs to Vick and that includes Andrew Luck. He has pro experience and none of them have that yet obviously. JMO

DraftBoy
11-28-2010, 09:27 AM
A couple of things;

1. Newton is not a one year wonder, if you dont know what Im talking about look up the 2009 NJCAA National Champion Blinn College roster and see who the QB is of that team. Then look up his numbers.

2. Newton never stole anything, people saying he did are idiots. He bought a stolen laptop and that's why his charges were dropped. People claiming he stole something dont have any idea what really happened, which I blame on the media.

3. Newton's cheating at Florida is only alleged and is completely unproven. It has no more traction at this point than a rumor.

X-Era
11-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I just went back and watched a half of him vs. Miss. I came away much more impressed. A few things jumped out to me. He does a great job looking off the target. He showed an ability to find the open guy more than I had noticed before. He made some very nice deep and intermediate throws. Yes, he does look raw and had all day to throw. I want to see what he can do under consistent pressure.

As far as the character issue goes, it's something that will play itself out. As I said, I reserve judgment on that, we have to see what the NCAA and teams think about it.

Here's my write-up:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3358654#post3358654

tomz
11-28-2010, 11:08 AM
One thing about Newton to remember: with Fitzpatrick on board, he won't need to see the field immediately. That said, can you not see him in the wildcat? As a runner, he makes Tebow look like a piker. He reminds me much more of Vince Young than Vick.

Character-wise, he is said to be an excellent leader and locker room presence.

Top 5 pick? Hard to swallow that, especially is a game changer at DE is there.

X-Era
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM
One thing about Newton to remember: with Fitzpatrick on board, he won't need to see the field immediately. That said, can you not see him in the wildcat? As a runner, he makes Tebow look like a piker. He reminds me much more of Vince Young than Vick.

Character-wise, he is said to be an excellent leader and locker room presence.

Top 5 pick? Hard to swallow that, especially is a game changer at DE is there.One angle would be the Ja'Marcus Russell scenario. What if Newton is riding high, loved by his fans and the team, and enjoying playing for one of the best teams in the nation. Then, he gets drafted by a terrible team, booed, under constant pressure, and expected to be the savior. How will he handle that? Young is interesting because it's another example of what I'm talking about but to a lesser degree.

better days
11-28-2010, 05:26 PM
A couple of things;

1. Newton is not a one year wonder, if you dont know what Im talking about look up the 2009 NJCAA National Champion Blinn College roster and see who the QB is of that team. Then look up his numbers.

2. Newton never stole anything, people saying he did are idiots. He bought a stolen laptop and that's why his charges were dropped. People claiming he stole something dont have any idea what really happened, which I blame on the media.

3. Newton's cheating at Florida is only alleged and is completely unproven. It has no more traction at this point than a rumor.

1. Newton Jr. College = having done it? I disagree.

2. While he may not have stolen the computer himself, you do not know that he didn't know it was stolen. He was charged with felony charges of burglary, larceny & obstruction of justice. Charges were only dropped after Cam completed a court approved pre-trial diversion program. If he was innocent of everything but having a computer in his possession that he did not know was stolen, I doubt he would have had to go through that diversion program. Sounds like you are the person that doesn't know what they are talking about.

3. While the cheating charges are unproven, it is another red flag about his character & anybody that does not realize that is an idiot.

El Guapo
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
There is little doubt that boosters take care of players with leased cars & no show jobs. That is much different than a player trying to extort money from a University IMO.

Are you kidding me? So, someone who steals a Honda Civic is less of a thief than someone who steals a BMW 5 Series? Happy to know you are the arbiter of morality.

better days
11-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Are you kidding me? So, someone who steals a Honda Civic is less of a thief than someone who steals a BMW 5 Series? Happy to know you are the arbiter of morality.

I am not, but when it comes to College athletics, the NCAA is the arbiter of morality. The NCAA turns a blind eye, nod, nod, wink, wink to boosters that give a "boost" to players from their Schools in the form of leased cars & no show jobs.

As Buffalo Thriller said, just look in any D1 parking lot at the cars the players are driving & you will see that is true. It is only when a School crosses an invisible line that the NCAA comes down on that school such as it did years ago to SMU & now to USC.

Thief
11-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Newton hasn't shown he can go through progressions, appears to have character concerns, and is a one year wonder... pass.What did he do last year? Oh yeah, he was a man amonst boys while winning a national championship, and now he is straight owning the big college boys while basically single handedly winning huge football games.

Mad Max
11-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Tired of the rhetoric, here's the real story on Newton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKLYhcct1Zw&feature=related