PDA

View Full Version : This was a heartbreaker for me

Mad Bomber
11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
I have been lurking for a while because of the aggressive flaming that anyone gets who posts anything remotely positive...

As most of you know, I have been a Bills fan for over 45 years. Jan Reimers and I are the crotchety old guys who try to be optimistic. Historian is close behind...he only looks younger because of Just for Men hair coloring...

For decades, it has been the ALMOST Bills...they have a chance to win, and have a stupid penalty or a dropped pass or a lousy ref call (just give it to them) results in yet another loss. Today was another chapter in a long and frustrating history.

I was pretty numb for the first 5 games of this season. However, in the past 5 or 6 games this team has shown some life. The problem is that they do not know how to finish a game.

They took the Ravens to overtime....they took the Chiefs to overtime. (in their house, which is not easy)..they took the Steelers to overtime. Each time they have found a way to lose.

I am cautiously optimistic, because what I am seeing this year is a team that is improving and starting to gain an IDENTITY as a team. What shocks me is that the media is starting to talk about the Bills as a team that plays hard and has spirit, but hasn't learned how to finish and win. They used to just laugh at the Bills.

I haven't posted on this board a whole lot lately, because if you dare to say something remotely positive you get crushed.

You can flame away, but I am happy with the direction I see this team going. We are not a laughing stock or "arguably the worst team in the NFL". I have seen consistent progress in the team. The offense has obviously gotten better, and the defense is not consistently giving up 30+ points. The Bills need DEFENSIVE help in the draft.

People have complained about the direction this team was going - especially at the beginning of the season - but I see some movement in the right direction. For the past few years the Bills were rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. This year the Bills broke everything down to start from scratch. It was painful at first, but it looks like it might begin to bear some fruit.

...BTW....the O line has looked a LOT better lately.

I'm out.

Slim
11-28-2010, 04:08 PM
In Chan I trust.

mrbojanglezs
11-28-2010, 04:09 PM
good thing we are 2-9 and really although would be a good win, doesnt mean anything

X-Era
11-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I have been lurking for a while because of the aggressive flaming that anyone gets who posts anything remotely positive...

As most of you know, I have been a Bills fan for over 45 years. Jan Reimers and I are the crotchety old guys who try to be optimistic. Historian is close behind...he only looks younger because of Just for Men hair coloring...

For decades, it has been the ALMOST Bills...they have a chance to win, and have a stupid penalty or a dropped pass or a lousy ref call (just give it to them) results in yet another loss. Today was another chapter in a long and frustrating history.

I was pretty numb for the first 5 games of this season. However, in the past 5 or 6 games this team has shown some life. The problem is that they do not know how to finish a game.

They took the Ravens to overtime....they took the Chiefs to overtime. (in their house, which is not easy)..they took the Steelers to overtime. Each time they have found a way to lose.

I am cautiously optimistic, because what I am seeing this year is a team that is improving and starting to gain an IDENTITY as a team. What shocks me is that the media is starting to talk about the Bills as a team that plays hard and has spirit, but hasn't learned how to finish and win. They used to just laugh at the Bills.

I haven't posted on this board a whole lot lately, because if you dare to say something remotely positive you get crushed.

You can flame away, but I am happy with the direction I see this team going. We are not a laughing stock or "arguably the worst team in the NFL". I have seen consistent progress in the team. The offense has obviously gotten better, and the defense is not consistently giving up 30+ points. The Bills need DEFENSIVE help in the draft.

People have complained about the direction this team was going - especially at the beginning of the season - but I see some movement in the right direction. For the past few years the Bills were rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. This year the Bills broke everything down to start from scratch. It was painful at first, but it looks like it might begin to bear some fruit.

I'm out.Hang in there Mad... this team is on the right path, I believe that. We have a future here in B-Lo.

alohabillsfan
11-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Could not agree more. Put a Dt stud next to Kyle Williams!

X-Era
11-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Could not agree more. Put a Dt stud next to Kyle Williams!I was thinking something very similar... Guys like Jurell Casey, Marcel Dareus may fit the Bill.

Oldbillsfan
11-28-2010, 04:16 PM
This loss that should have been a win wont hurt in 4 days

imbondz
11-28-2010, 04:17 PM
it's going to take a lot more for me to believe we are on the right path. I watch these close games, I see the improvement, but in the end, we're 2-9, and continue to lose in heartbreaking fashion. what has changed? what corner did we turn??? I am not sold yet. I am however a fan of Gailey.

Forward_Lateral
11-28-2010, 04:19 PM
This game sums up the past 10 or so years of being a Bills fan. So close, yet so far away.

X-Era
11-28-2010, 04:23 PM
This game sums up the past 10 or so years of being a Bills fan. So close, yet so far away.I think were real close. I think we could win a big game against the Jets or Pats. Losing this big game by 3 showed me we aren't out of any game. That we have the guts to go toe to toe with anyone. But yes, we have to finish and secure the win.

SquishDaFish
11-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Totally agree bro. Ive been saying it for weeks we are seeing improvement and I see them on the right track. :gobills:

better days
11-28-2010, 05:01 PM
This Bills team plays better in the 2nd half. That is due to good coaching. The people that called for Chan & Buddy to be fired, now look like the the idiots they are.

NOBODY is laughing at the Bills anymore, & teams that have the Bills on their schedule had better worry. They will play the role of spoiler to some unlucky team before this season is over.

YardRat
11-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Keep posting Bomber....the puppy-dog flamers can go **** themselves.

BillsWin
11-28-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm with you Bomber. I feel the Bills, for the first time in a long time, are finally heading in the right direction.

We knew at the start of the year that we're a bad team. But at least now we're a team that can hang with the big dogs and be entertaning and never quit, no matter what the situation.

Chan has proven he can make halftime adjustments, which we lacked under the previous regime. Our offense is much improved and our defense has had some big stops (mixed in with their normal flops of course).

Got to learn how to win, and these young guys are doing that. Crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

We should be doing sprints by this time next year and hopefully running the marathon by the next season.

methos4ever
11-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I say a lot of guys on that team that had a chance to pack it in and they didn't. I saw a guy like D Bell stone Harrison and force him to pick on Wrotto. And at the end of the day those players trusted their coaches and were a few plays away.

Get a constant threat to rush the pass. Get a guy to help stop the run. Get a Right tackle that matches our Right guard's intensity at the run game (though Urbik wasn't a slouch today to be fair). We add some more pieces to this thing and Chan will turn it around.

And if people want to make threads talking about how bad they are - that's fine too. We all pay money, time, etc to enjoy our team as we please. It just shouldn't be a zero-sum game with regard to how some choose to view the team.

seanbillsfan
11-28-2010, 05:34 PM
If we can start showing up for the whole game. It seems lately that we can't play the 1st half, O or D

Yasgur's Farm
11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
This team plays for each other... I love the mentality vs Jauron's team.

wmoz11
11-28-2010, 05:39 PM
I haven't seen James Harrison dominated like that... well, ever. Bell and the offensive line in general was awesome today.

We're on the right track.

Forward_Lateral
11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Think about the giant blows to the nuts this team has delivered to us fans over the past 11 years.

Music City Miracle
The blown Monday Night Cowboy game
The blown Pats game (take your pick on which one)
The loss to the Steelers 3rd stringers to miss the playoffs
I can go on and on, but you get the point

It's the same thing over and over. Today's game doesn't hurt as bad because I'm numb to it. I'm so used to the Bills losing games like this, it doesn't phase me anymore.

Mr. Pink
11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Post MCM it has to be losing to the Steelers scrubs to miss out on the playoffs.

Crisis
11-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I would've lost to win this game and for Pitt to miss the playoffs by one game (us) just as payback for that 3rd stringer debacle with bledsoe...

Michael82
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Well said, Mad! :bf1:

bf1
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Cautiously optimistic just means pessimistic but in denial about it.

I think the reason some of the "cautiously optimistic" get mad at negative posters is because deep down they agree, but don't want to admit it.

"If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn’t part of ourselves doesn’t disturb us."
-Hermann Hesse

trapezeus
11-29-2010, 10:34 AM
for the first time in a long time, i feel like the bills have a very specific set of needs. not the typical, "We need every position to be upgraded."

i told people before the game that i thought the bills could win that game. if they could come out and be competitive in the first half, they could have beat the steelers. That would have been a huge catalyst to making next year a very exciting year. instead, they struggle with the same things they've been struggling with for 10 years.

But somehow, i still feel like this time, "it's different". Cautiouly optimistic and I'm enjoying sunday's again.

unpaid_bills
11-29-2010, 10:43 AM
agree 100% They are playing hard, staying competitive (despite the record). Chan and Co have them playing wity attitude and a chip on their shoulder. He expects to win.

jamze132
11-29-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm out.
Agreed!

Jan Reimers
11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Here's to you, Mad, from the other crotchety old optimist. Well said!