How many of y'all thought we could hang with Pitt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla admin
    • Jul 2002

How many of y'all thought we could hang with Pitt?

i honestly felt like we would win this game, but i think i was in the minority. Were you surprised this game went into OT? Seriously?

This team is better than our record shows.

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: How many of y'all thought we could hang with Pitt?

i thought we were going to beat them but I think that every week
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

I thought we would hang with them but lose late. I never thought it would be in the heartbreaking fashion it was.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
        • Nov 2009

I think the record shows exactly how good they are...I think that's the point of it. I don't mean to poo poo your sentiment, but I am pissed that we never close out the closers. Pittsburgh squeaks by, and will be fighting for home-field in the playoffs. There will be no more talk about this game on their side. This is what they do. Win close games and collect wins, while we are left looking for bright spots.

I thought we were going to win today. I really did. I didn't hope to win, I expected to win. I am not quoting Chan's presser from his hiring, I am being completely serious.

This one stung.

Comment

• mush69
          • Jan 2003

I too thought this was going to be a win. The Steelers have a tendency to play to their oppositions level. So yes I knew we would be there to the end.

Whats upsetting is the simple fact that we let another one get away. We had 3 chances to win this! I just don't know how we can do this much longer, without the better end of the deal. How many games we gotta lose in OT?

Don't Mistake Lack Of Talent For Genius

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by shelby
            i honestly felt like we would win this game, but i think i was in the minority. Were you surprised this game went into OT? Seriously?

This team is better than our record shows.

I knew we'd hang with Pit... no matter how bad the football team pit under tomlin NEVER takes care of business and leaves everyone alive and in the game.

I didn't think we'd drag it into OT... but i was not surprised at all we lost it after we punted for the 2nd time in Pittsburgh territory in overtime.

We're a 2 win football team... bull**** scaredy cat coaching like that deserves to lose.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
              We're a 2 win football team... bull**** scaredy cat coaching like that deserves to lose.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• shelby
                The Vanilla admin
                • Jul 2002

Maybe i'm just too optimistic. i expected this team to suck ass this year, but in reality, weren't the last 4 losses OT losses? ...come on y'all.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Listen. i'll lay this out straight... Gailey can't control what Johnson does on a bomb... he can't control the defense packing it in either.

But he can control if we go for it on 4th and 3 from the Pittsburgh 40 or not. You're a losing football team and you've got one of the best teams in the league on the ropes.

We took our foot off their throat, and that's gailey's fault.

-I'll tell you the coaching calculus.

When you're on the 40 in a tie at the end of the game (either in OT or in the last 2 minutes) there are only 2 situations you punt.
                  1 - it's more then 10 yards to go
                  2 - you don't believe the offense can get X yards

by punting when the offense clearly CAN get 3 yards you're putting the game in the defense's hands.

Has this defense given any of you the impression that they can stop anyone from marching the field for a game winning field goal when they have to? If you think this, then you haven't been watching this team.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Listen. i'll lay this out straight... Gailey can't control what Johnson does on a bomb... he can't control the defense packing it in either.

But he can control if we go for it on 4th and 3 from the Pittsburgh 40 or not. You're a losing football team and you've got one of the best teams in the league on the ropes.

When you're on the 40 in a tie at the end of the game (either in OT or in the last 2 minutes) there are only 2 situations you punt.

by punting when the offense clearly CAN get 3 yards you're putting the game in the defense's hands.

Has this defense given any of you the impression that they can stop anyone from marching the field for a game winning field goal when they have to? If you think this, then you haven't been watching this team.

You're wrong.

How many points did Pittsburgh score in the 2nd half?

I can see the idea of going for it, but for God's sake - the first punt almost ended up with a game winning safety.

They never took the foot off their throats. They bombed the ball out twice in OT that should have ended the game.

Gailey can't control what the players do - he can only put them into position to win. And he did so. They messed up.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

I thought we had a good chance of winning if we could keep the game within 2 scores entering the 4th quarter. I even said it in another thread.

Pittsburgh isn't a team that closes strong, they kind of ease off the gas a little as the game winds down.

They did it again today.

Difference is when they need to turn it on and make plays, they do so. We haven't figured that one out yet.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

I hear what you're saying but if we don't make that 4th down, he's stupid.

The chances of the D trying to stop Pitts deep is better than trying to stop Pitts from 40. It worked. The O got the ball back and MCkelvin shoulda had it at the 49 and then Stevie blew it.

I don't have a problem with the way Gailey called this one. The talent let him down.
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 11-28-2010, 08:37 PM.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Most every coach would have punted there. If we don't convert Pitt would've only needed 2 first downs to be in FG range. If we went and did not get it he would have been ripped for setting Pittsburgh up at the 40 yard line. I had no problem with punting there.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                            • Oct 2002

I expected a close game before the game started. With the way the Steelers moved the ball in their first drive and ate up 8 minutes, I thought it would be a long day.

Comment

• dog14787
                              • Oct 2010

My one problem with Gaileys play calling today was putting Fitz back to pass after we had advanced the ball into field goal range (36),

Fred Jackson was fired up, hand the ball off, advance the line of scrimmage and kick the field goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X