PDA

View Full Version : Another RB Has His Career Game vs. Bills

Night Train
11-29-2010, 05:20 AM
While trying to blame the loss on one or 2 plays by Johnson, McKelvin etc., can we get back to the fact that the Bills still are the worst NFL team by a mile agaiinst the run.

I bet if the braintrust concentrates on getting serious about finding some legit run stuffers in the Front 7, our occasional blunders may happen with a 7 to 10 point lead, rather than happening during a tie or being behind. I like Gailey and the fact the staff seems to move on quickly from players who can't cut it.

Mendenhall kept getting major yardage right up the middle, like many teams have this season.

I've been watching this team since 1965 and have seen the 1-2 win seasons. I've never seen a worse Run D.

Concentrate on upgrading the Front 7 this coming off-season

chernobylwraiths
11-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Career game? No.

Cleve
11-29-2010, 06:22 AM
It's actually Mendenhall's third best game in his career with 151 yds of rushing. It's his best game of the season so far. Still, it was clearly an awful day for the Bills defense as Pittsburgh gained over 200 yds on the ground.

Buffalo, OTOH, gained a paltry 74 yds on the ground. Fred Jackson actually averaged MORE yards per carry (4.9 yards per carry) than Mendenhall at 4.2 yards per carry. But Jackson only got 12 total carries, and Mendenhall was given 3 times that many. Not sure why the Bills didn't try to establish more of a ground game since Jackson was doing well and the Bills receivers had apparently greased their gloves with Crisco at the half.

This team fails to address, week after week, the clearly serious problem with run defense.

jamze132
11-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Watch the film and pay attention to our LBs. You will see why we allow almost 170 yds per game on the ground. Gap responsibility!

Johnny Bugmenot
11-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Year in. Year out. The Bills run defense stinks. Nothing ever changes.

ddaryl
11-29-2010, 07:42 AM
can't run the ball worth crap either, and can't stop the run.

Although We are starting to see some young D players making some plays and that is the improvement I hoped to see as the year progressed. And we're starting to get some pressure on the QB recently.

Philagape
11-29-2010, 08:20 AM
This is why I can't hop on the bandwagon for Kyle Williams or Poz or Whitner or any other player on the defense. They have to stop the run before I praise any of them.

Night Train
11-29-2010, 08:24 AM
can't run the ball worth crap either, and can't stop the run.

Although We are starting to see some young D players making some plays and that is improvement I hoped to see as the year progressed. And we're starting to get some pressure on the QB recently.

Agree with this and the point made above by J132. I'm not just laying a turd on the entire D.

We have a lot of other teams castoffs at LB and on the DL. Is it talent,scheme or both ? I believe it's both.

Edwards, much like Fewell, is getting his first shot at being a long term DC for an NFL team. What he wants to run may not work because he doesn't have the players...or he's in over his head. Can't say either way but this is a bottom line business and our run D is rock bottom.

When you build a team from scratch, the first thing you do is find solid D players to keep you in games while the O comes around. If you can't stop the run, all other good things you do is usually happening while you're behind on the scoreboard.

You're never going to reach .500 playing like that, let alone compete for a playoff spot.

Night Train
11-29-2010, 08:26 AM
This is why I can't hop on the bandwagon for Kyle Williams or Poz or Whitner or any other player on the defense. They have to stop the run before I praise any of them.

:bf1:

I got creamed for saying the same thing. I like a lot of what these guys do but you have to have a complete game to win.

Beebe's Kid
11-29-2010, 08:46 AM

Williams and Whitner would be why they didn't have 300 yards rushing.

You don't need to hop on their bandwagon.

Scumbag College
11-29-2010, 09:10 AM

I don't know if I'll ever be on the Poz or Whitner bandwagon, but Williams made Kemanotu (sp?) look horrible all day. Williams beat him repeatedly, pushed him way back into the backfield, and caused two holding penalties on him, both of which negated big Pittsburgh plays.

Williams has been the best player on the defense (I know that's not saying much) for the last two months. If I had to keep any player on the Bills' Front 7, he'd be the one.

Philagape
11-29-2010, 09:58 AM
(I know that's not saying much)

I'll say something when it IS saying much.

jamze132
11-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Williams is not in this discussion. You can't even really blame Stroud for all the ground yards. Again, look at the LB corps and you will find the problem.

Oldbillsfan
11-30-2010, 07:41 AM
In the Bills defense he had a couple drives in OT to get more yards

Jan Reimers
11-30-2010, 08:02 AM
I have a very basic, but true, belief. We are 2-9, but that doesn't mean every single player on the team sucks.