X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Football God may finally smile at us

This is a rebuilding year and we all know we are not going to the playoffs.

So what do we need?

Some say winning culture, some say talent.

To me, it's clear. You need talent, then building a winning culture.

This season, it's about finding talent, developing talent, and most importantly getting more top talent - biggest being the draft next year. And I can't say we are not doing a very good job so far.

There are 1-15 teams that are terrible, needing several year of talent infusion to get up. Then there are teams who are 1-15 because of developing talent, bad luck who can bounce back quickly.

I think the Bills are in the 2nd category. An already talented team getting more raw talent that's a very distinct possibility.

Winning culture? The guys are not quitting under any circumstance, and an obvious improvement in correcting mistakes along the season. I think it'll come much sooner than you realize.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 11-29-2010, 08:42 AM.
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Re: Football God may finally smile at us

great post. I agree, this team does not look like a 2-9 team. Here are the biggest needs of the team IMO for 2011.

DT: Pair up a stud DT to go with Kyle Williams to help stop the run
    LB: We need playmakers. I love Poz, but he doesn't make big plays like we need our top LB to make.
    QB: Whether or not Fitz is the starter in 2011, the Bills need to draft a QB high to develop him. Brohm or Brown are not the answer with this coaching staff, so this needs addressed. Let the QB battle with Fitz and see what happens.
    OL: This core has been playing well, but we need to draft for depth here. We could upgrade at the tackles spot, and center as well. Levitre and Wood are starters for years to come.
    CB: McGee is pretty much done IMO, so we need to get a CB to play alongside McKelvin and Florence.

Comment

• Bufftp
      Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

developing talent and developing a winning culture are not mutually exclusive. I think both are happening now, and more missing pieces will be added in the off season.
      Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
      "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
      Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
      - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
      to be led by permanent ideals -
      that is what keeps a man patient
      when the world ignores him,
      and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by T-Long
        DT: Pair up a stud DT to go with Kyle Williams to help stop the run
        LB: We need playmakers. I love Poz, but he doesn't make big plays like we need our top LB to make.
        The first half of yesterday's game is a prime example that I think DTs are not the main reason for stopping the run. Almost all of Mendonhall's big runs came in cut back or delayed runs. To me, if a RB cannot get shoot through the holes by DTs initially, the DT's are doing a good job. The LBs now have the time to see what's going on and clean it up. That's not happening with our defense so far. We are pretty much throw more back 8 bodies to stop the run, which means we're vulnerable to cut backs and bootlegs to tight ends.

I do think, however, we need a prime DE for more pass rushing ability. I'm thinking about Stroud's position. That Auburn DT looks awfully good at that spot.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

the TOP priority in the offseason (FA/Draft) should be finding talent that can stop the run.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan
            the TOP priority in the offseason (FA/Draft) should be finding talent that can stop the run.
            And rush the passer.

Comment

• dog14787
              • Oct 2010

I for one would really like an upgrade at the TE position. I have much appreciation for what Jonathan Stupar has accomplished and I love the guy, but we need a pro bowl caliber pass catching TE to help our QB/ offense.
              Last edited by Figster; 11-29-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• T-Long
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                The first half of yesterday's game is a prime example that I think DTs are not the main reason for stopping the run. Almost all of Mendonhall's big runs came in cut back or delayed runs. To me, if a RB cannot get shoot through the holes by DTs initially, the DT's are doing a good job. The LBs now have the time to see what's going on and clean it up. That's not happening with our defense so far. We are pretty much throw more back 8 bodies to stop the run, which means we're vulnerable to cut backs and bootlegs to tight ends.

I do think, however, we need a prime DE for more pass rushing ability. I'm thinking about Stroud's position. That Auburn DT looks awfully good at that spot.
                I agree, but there isn't a LB worth picking in the top 5, so that's why I think a stud DT would help better in the run game in terms of drafting.

Also, as you can see in my latest thread about the draft, I think Bowers goes to the Lions at pick 3 if the draft was today. I think the Bills would love to have Bowers, but Dareus is a very very good backup plan.

Comment

• T-Long
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by dog14787
                  I for one would really like an upgrade at the TE position. I have much appreciation for what Jonathan Stupar has accomplished and I love the guy, but we need a pro bowl caliber pass catching TE to help our QB/ offense.
                  I think we already have that in Shawn Nelson, but Chan Gailey doesn't use TE's as much in his offenses over the years.

Comment

• dog14787
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by T-Long
                    I think we already have that in Shawn Nelson, but Chan Gailey doesn't use TE's as much in his offenses over the years.

I thought so to, but Shawn Nelson has not been able to break the starting lineup and its a position that has been neglected for years. Rookie/Young QB's need a TE security blanket and its partly the reason Buffalo has struggled developing QB's in my opinion.

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh

Exactly. The problem has not been the line, it has been the friggin linebackers who have no discipline when it comes to their gap assignments and responsibilities.

Comment

• tomz
                        • Feb 2007

I agree that the linebackers are a big part. They need to shed. They need gap discipline. There were several plays where the line and linebackers seemed to have a spacing between them of about 5 yards.

However, in a 3-4 you only get one NT and that appears to be Williams. He is definitely a strong Tampa 2/4-3 guy and is playing great when penetrating, but he is not holding the nose on runs--that is part of the 3-4 NT responsibility (remember Ted Washington?) as well as partly on the ends as well. But LBs need to fill cut back lanes and they are not doing that.

Comment

Working...
                        X