PDA

View Full Version : Scheffter chimes in on Bills/Fitzpatrick

T-Long
11-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Q: How good is this Buffalo Bills team? I know their record is 2-9, but four of their losses have been by a field goal. Is Ryan Fitzpatrick the long-term answer at QB for them?

-- James (Salt Lake City)

A: They've gotten better and better, James, and they had multiple chances to win Sunday's game in overtime and just couldn't do it. This is a gritty team that fights and shows a lot of resolve. Tough team. Saying that, and seeing how Fitzpatrick has played this season, if the Bills get a chance at a player such as Andrew Luck -- who for the time being looks ticketed to Carolina -- then they have to take it. If not, then maybe it's the best player available, and there will be plenty. Fitzpatrick is a nice stopgap measure. But Buffalo cannot abandon its search for its quarterback of the future until it is consistently winning.

Crisis
11-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Pretty much what most of the board has been saying outside of the few who think Fitz is Kurt Warner...

Beebe's Kid
11-29-2010, 01:38 PM
That's cute...

The more people that say he can't do it, makes me want to see him do it more.

Ebenezer
11-29-2010, 01:45 PM
That's cute...

The more people that say he can't do it, makes me want to see him do it more.

Of course...that only makes sense. It also makes sense to take a look at a variety of passes yesterday and see that he just can't make every throw. Can he lead a well-stocked team to a playoff run? Possibly. Can he throw a team on his back and carry them like an elite QB? No.

we are
11-29-2010, 01:53 PM
say what you will...but Fitz just beat the Pittsburgh Steelers yesterday.

we lost, but you know what i mean.

justasportsfan
11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Maybe Fitz can work on his deep balls in the offseason. :idunno:

Ed
11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Of course...that only makes sense. It also makes sense to take a look at a variety of passes yesterday and see that he just can't make every throw. Can he lead a well-stocked team to a playoff run? Possibly. Can he throw a team on his back and carry them like an elite QB? No.
What throws can he not make?

Crisis
11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
last five quarterbacks to win a SB are the Mannings, Brees, Brady, and Big Ben.

our goal should be to win a SB....and if there's any trend in that its that you either need an elite quarterback with an above average to good defense....or a good quarterback with an elite defense.

the league is too quarterback driven now to think that fitz can be the one to win a superbowl. he's a great stop-gap, but nothing more than that.

PromoTheRobot
11-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Fitz will win enough games to keep us from drafting Luck. Then he'll shut the haters up next season.

PTR

justasportsfan
11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Fitz will win enough games to keep us from drafting Luck. Then he'll shut the haters up next season.

PTR

I don't think there are haters. Just people who aren't sold on him being a franchise/elite qb in the same class as Peyton and Brees. Maybe he's on his way there but I still want to see more.

BertSquirtgum
11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
that pass to steve johnson was franchise-esque but those passes are few and far between.

personally, i need to see a lot more before i will call fitz our franchise qb.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-29-2010, 02:57 PM

PTR
Oh sure he will. LOL:sukrpnch:

hydro
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't think there are haters. Just people who aren't sold on him being a franchise/elite qb in the same class as Peyton and Brees. Maybe he's on his way there but I still want to see more.

Why does he have to be in the same class as Brees and Peyton? Everyone is so hung up on him not being a QB that can win us a Super Bowl. I just want to get to the playoffs first for crying out loud.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Why does he have to be in the same class as Brees and Peyton? Everyone is so hung up on him not being a QB that can win us a Super Bowl. I just want to get to the playoffs first for crying out loud.
Face facts, fan boys, Luck has a lot more natural talent than Fitz & will be a star in the NFL.:pimped:

hydro
11-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Face facts, fan boys, Luck has a lot more natural talent than Fitz & will be a star in the NFL.:pimped:

I would love to have him. Problem is he will never fall to our draft spot. So you might as well face facts, we aren't getting Luck.

Ed
11-29-2010, 03:13 PM
And he'll never be a Buffalo Bill, so what's your point?

justasportsfan
11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
I just want to get to the playoffs first for crying out loud.

Winning a sb is the MAIN and ONLY goal especially for a bills fan thats lived through the 4 sb losses. Aim for the stars and you'll hit the moon. Aim for the sb and you'l most likey make it to the playoffs to say the least.

If you have a qb thats good enough to win a sb , you shouldn't worry about making the playoffs.

The last time this team went to a sb, we had a franchise qb.

The last time we went to the playoffs, we had Flutie. He was fun to watch but that was it. Don't want a Chad Pennington qb. I want a Brees.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-29-2010, 03:34 PM
And he'll never be a Buffalo Bill, so what's your point?
We don't know that yet. If not, we get Mallett or Locker later on.:zonelunch

trapezeus
11-29-2010, 03:45 PM
are people seriously against havinga trent dilfer QB? I wouldn't mind getting to the SB with a decent, no name QB like Fitz. And just have a team that plays well. Literally, if we had a one hit wonder have his wonder season on a magical season and they got to the superbowl and won it. I wouldn't care that we didn't do it with a franchise guy.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
are people seriously against havinga trent dilfer QB? I wouldn't mind getting to the SB with a decent, no name QB like Fitz. And just have a team that plays well. Literally, if we had a one hit wonder have his wonder season on a magical season and they got to the superbowl and won it. I wouldn't care that we didn't do it with a franchise guy.
Say what?:crazy: :wtf:

Mr. Pink
11-29-2010, 03:51 PM
The problem is what we've seen out of Fitz this year is a lot like what Derek Anderson did a few years ago with the Browns. That, and, their weaknesses are glaringly similar.

If Fitz can put up another season like this next year, if he's even given the chance to, then he will probably sell most of the fanbase on being the guy for the future.

Lots of guys can be a one year wonder, you need to sustain the success. And the problem with a guy like Fitz is that he's been a journeyman up until this point which doesn't always afford him the chance/s to prove himself on a consistent basis.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
11-29-2010, 03:54 PM
The problem is what we've seen out of Fitz this year is a lot like what Derek Anderson did a few years ago with the Browns. That, and, their weaknesses are glaringly similar.

If Fitz can put up another season like this next year, if he's even given the chance to, then he will probably sell most of the fanbase on being the guy for the future.

Lots of guys can be a one year wonder, you need to sustain the success. And the problem with a guy like Fitz is that he's been a journeyman up until this point which doesn't always afford him the chance/s to prove himself on a consistent basis.
Great post. Will Fitz be able to sustain this over a long period of time? More & more tape is now out there of him. Physically, he's limited.

Mahdi
11-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Maybe Fitz can work on his deep balls in the offseason. :idunno:
Work on his deep passes??? Do you watch the games even?

Night Train
11-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Why not Fitz and a new QB of the future for next year ? Fitz would start anyhow until he fails to win. Depth is key.

What's the problem with that ?

trapezeus
11-29-2010, 04:05 PM
i was just called crazy by Taylor Zaius. I've now seen it all.

this NEED for a franchise QB is nonsense. WE need a consistent QB. We need that QB to get better. We at least have that right now. The defense is terrible. "they only let up 19 points" they gave up 150+ yards to a single running back. This isn't the only time its happened.

i love that people want this mythical once in a lifetime QB, when having an average QB and a decent defense can win you games.

Does winning a superbowl with Peyton Manning different than getting lucky like dilfer did? I don't think so. i'd take it either way. I just know this current defense hasn't gotten the job done for 4 full quarteres for the entire season. the Bills offense has played well enough to win several games including this last one. Their mistakes are not consistently repeated.

the mistakes on defense are constant errors week in and week out.

Do you need to address the anomlys or do you need to address the constant problems. You tell me.

PromoTheRobot
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh sure he will. LOL:sukrpnch:

How's your batting average with all the other QB hypes you blather about? Clausen? Tebow? McCoy? Until you actually are right about one I wouldn't shoot my mouth off.

PTR

THATHURMANATOR
11-29-2010, 04:13 PM

I agree with this.

Luisito23
11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Is Fitz gonna be a freeagent?

JCBills
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM

Why do you still come here?

DesertFox24
11-29-2010, 04:22 PM
His response was a safe response. He did not lean one way or the other, what he said is if you are drafting high enough to get Luck QB is probably an issue. However, if you are not Fitz might be a stop gap till you start winning consistently.

That pretty much says if Fitz makes you a winner then yes, if not well you will need a qb.

Ed
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Is Fitz gonna be a freeagent?
Fitz will be a free agent after next season, which is one of the reasons I'm hesitant in saying we need to draft our qb of the future. If Fitz play great next year he's going to earn himself an extension and be paid like a starter. So if we use a high pick on a qb this year and Fitz plays well next year, we'll be in a situation where we can't really get value out of our top pick through playing or a trade.

So I would rather use our top pick to bolster our D, see what Fitz can do next year, and if we feel he's not the answer then we try and draft our franchise guy in 2012.

justasportsfan
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
yeah, he's not consistently accurate.

Nighthawk
11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Q: How good is this Buffalo Bills team? I know their record is 2-9, but four of their losses have been by a field goal. Is Ryan Fitzpatrick the long-term answer at QB for them?

-- James (Salt Lake City)

A: They've gotten better and better, James, and they had multiple chances to win Sunday's game in overtime and just couldn't do it. This is a gritty team that fights and shows a lot of resolve. Tough team. Saying that, and seeing how Fitzpatrick has played this season, if the Bills get a chance at a player such as Andrew Luck -- who for the time being looks ticketed to Carolina -- then they have to take it. If not, then maybe it's the best player available, and there will be plenty. Fitzpatrick is a nice stopgap measure. But Buffalo cannot abandon its search for its quarterback of the future until it is consistently winning.

What? You mean that Fitz isn't viewed as the next savior of the Bills franchise? Amazing...

Nighthawk
11-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Nope, I'm sure he doesn't...didn't you know that you're the only person who knows how to evaluate football players...just ask yourself!

Nighthawk
11-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Exactly how I feel...

Mad Max
11-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Does winning a superbowl with Peyton Manning different than getting lucky like dilfer did? I don't think so. i'd take it either way. I just know this current defense hasn't gotten the job done for 4 full quarteres for the entire season. the Bills offense has played well enough to win several games including this last one. Their mistakes are not consistently repeated.

Both the Franchise QB route, and the journeyman QB with an excellent defense route have been proven capable of winning the Super Bowl.

The difference is that by going the Franchise QB route, the team doesn't need to have 8-9 all pro defensive players ala Dilfer's Raven D, it just needs that one stud QB and a good defense with maybe only 2-3 studs on it.

As hard as it is to find a Franchise QB, it's (arguably) much easier than building an ultra dominant Defensive unit. Plus as great as dominant defenses are, people don't pay to see them win 10-9 games, ultimately the game is nothing more than that just that a game meant for entertainment, and 30-35 point wins on the way to a Super Bowl victory are more fun than 10-9 games.

Michael82
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM

Well said! I keep thinking of Derek Anderson everytime I watch Fitzpatrick and it worries me. Before this season, I hated Fitz and thought he sucks and wanted him cut. This year, he's having a very good year and proving me wrong, but I still worry that it's just a one year thing. I still worry that he won't be able to handle the snowy, rainy games and worry that he'll turn into another Anderson.

Ed
11-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Well said! I keep thinking of Derek Anderson everytime I watch Fitzpatrick and it worries me. Before this season, I hated Fitz and thought he sucks and wanted him cut. This year, he's having a very good year and proving me wrong, but I still worry that it's just a one year thing. I still worry that he won't be able to handle the snowy, rainy games and worry that he'll turn into another Anderson.
I think if Fitz has shown anything it's that he's both mentally and physically tough, so I don't know why he would seem less capable of handling rain or snow then any other qb. I would be a lot more concerned about how a guy like Andrew Luck would handle the harsh conditions in December and January. I think the bad weather we have to deal with is all the more reason to bolster the D and improve our running game.

I actually like the idea of having a tough and smart qb like Fitz who's good at handling adversity for winter games. The Cleveland, NY, and NE games should all be good tests for that though.

better days
11-29-2010, 10:10 PM

The fact is that Luck is a College sophmore. Nobody knows if he will be a star in the NFL or another dud.

There have been plenty of players drafted that were supposed to be stars that never were. Ken O'Brien comes to mind. He had some good seasons, but never became the star he was expected be when the Jets drafted him.

BertSquirtgum
11-29-2010, 10:52 PM

yeah, he has a weak arm and they are always hit or miss. do you actually watch the games?

jamze132
11-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Well Buffalo almost beat a perenial Super Bowl contender with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm. Just saying.

Do I think Fitz is the long term answer? I honestly do not know right now. A aprt of me wants us to draft the best QB available but another part wants us to stick with Fitz next season and go heavy on defense in the draft. Outisde of Luck, I'm not sure if another QB is worthy of a top 10 pick.

Mahdi
11-30-2010, 01:41 PM
yeah, he's not consistently accurate.
Name me one QB please that is consistently accurate on deep balls? Every QB misses on deep passes.

Fitz is a very good deep passer. In fact I like his deep passes more than many other QBs because he throws them flatter which gives the CB less time to recover.