PDA

View Full Version : One Fan's View: Steelers vs. Bills: Superstition

shelby
11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
I had been thinking about this silently for a couple weeks. “Have we broken the curse of having the one gut-wrenching, vomit-inducing loss this year? Was that solely a Dick Jauron phenomenon?”
And then this Steelers game happened.

We now know that this painful occurrence is like Hanukkah. You have a general idea of when it’ll happen, but you’re not sure of the exact dates. I guess the only positive is at least this year, it wasn’t a national game like the last 3 had been. Progress in incredibly small bite sized portions. I guess I’ll take it.
I don’t even know where to start. For me, it was less about the actual plays. It was the camaraderie that was supposed to happen. I had a group of 7 Bills fans friends coming to this game with me. After the Bengals exuberance, I had so much expectations for this game. Erik, Paris, Pam, Pam’s sister, Ali, Rohit and of course, the weak link, Mark were there.
How weak is the weak link? Literally as Mark’s foot touched down inside the first bar we were in, the Steelers scored a touchdown. It was painful and frustrating on a lot of different levels. On the first level, we were not at a Bills bar. The bartender of the Bills bar accidentally slept in. Ironic because that is pretty much what the Bills did for a second straight week. Sleep in and miss the first quarter of play.
We sat in the first bar with other Bills fans watching a tube television with color settings so bad that the Bills throw backs actually looked Dolphin teal. Of course that is an insult of the highest magnitude. We also didn’t get any sound to the game either. This was torture. Our group of 10 or so Bills fans sat there like dogs waiting to get adopted, after every play people looked out the window towards Kelly’s to see if it opened. Finally, we saw the bartender sprinting to the bar, unlocking the gate and opening the front doors.
We flocked out. Paris, the optimist, said, “nice, we’ll reverse the mojo at Kelly’s.” At Kelly’s we settled in. I kept calling Mark the weak link; he kept defending against it. I silently was angry at the fact that here I had some of my good friends out for a game, and the Bills looked like they were going to get shut out. I wanted to be joyous with my large group. This was so frustrating that they Bills couldn’t comply and provide a good game.
And as they’ve been doing since the Bye week, the game changed in the second half. We were back in this thing. It was exciting. Everyone was cheering and after the field goal with 2 seconds to go, it felt like everything was right in this world.
The tragic tale in this isn’t the Johnson drop. It’s the whole scene at Kelly’s. As we are about to start overtime, I am literally calling out what the victory plan is: “I’m running out this door when they win. I want chasers! I WANT CHASERS!” Mark giddily seemed to feel a win was imminent as well. “YES!” This had the energy of a fired up pep talk. Then Mark chimed in, “Wait, which way are you going to go once you are out the doors?” The excited pep talk died down to a very matter-of-fact office conversation: “I’m thinking left, and then another left at the light.” “Ok, I’m behind you. How far do you think we’re running for?” “I’m not sure exactly, until someone catches me or until I am gassed. So that being said, about half a block. Top!” “Done.” BREAK!
On the now infamous Steve Johnson drop, at the second the play action started, the entire bar knew that this was the play for the win. Like a gigantic wave, everyone gasped. The energy of the wave was building. When the camera panned over to show how wide open Johnson was, the wave broke. People were cheering. I exploded out off the floor. It was one of the highest verticals ever for me. I had to be somewhere between 5-6 inches off the ground. As I landed, I started my sprint for the door. I took off like a bullet. But something was holding me back.
It was Mark’s arm was around my neck. My legs were still driving, but I wasn’t moving. I was stuck running in place like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Mark starts saying, “He dropped it. He dropped it.” It was in that hushed, incredibly sad tone that Walter Cronkite delivered the news that JFK was dead. That’s the audio metaphor. The visual metaphor was straight out of “Boyz n the Hood” where Cuba Gooding Jr’s pal, Ricky, gets shot.
For one short moment, I was gloriously running to make it out of the bar with the best win in years. Seconds later, in slow motion, I was gunned down senselessly for assuming that a ball thrown in your cradled arms was an automatic touchdown. It was equally as devastating as the scene from the movie. The movie was essentially saying, “as tragic as Ricky getting gunned down was, that happens so everyday in the hood. That’s the crime.” As a Bills fan, as tragic as the drop was, that happens so often in Bills land. That’s the crime. The only difference between the movie and Bills fandom, is that people are trying to get out of the hood. I’m happily entrenched in Bills fandom.

read more... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2010/11/30/steelers_at_bills_superstition.php)

jamze132
12-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Something similar happened to me but I don't really want to rehash it again.

northernbillfan
12-01-2010, 09:03 AM
"A loveable 2-9." That's a polite way of saying they are ripping our hearts out again.

trapezeus
12-01-2010, 09:43 AM
But its different right? the 7-9 teams were tangently in the playoff hunt and we were trying to will them in. Here we know nothing is at stake. We simply want to be entertained and we want to see improvement.

We are getting that. Plus at the begining of the season, it seemed like any draft pick other than RB was a good idea. Now it seems like the offense just needs depth, which means they don't really need any early round consideration unless there is simply a can't miss player up there.

The defense has even rebounded a little. the front 4 still give QB's way too much time to throw, but they are having moments of locking down in the second half. LB's still suck, and somehow the DB position is falling apart. They need some depth as well.

And because the draft has actually become a bit more focused for most people, it means players have stepped up. and gailey's second half coaching is a breath of fresh air.

RockStar36
12-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I like this team more than I liked any of the 7-9 Jauron era teams easily. During those Jauron era seasons, there would be weeks where I'd not even look forward to watching them because it was so infuriating. Now I eagerly look forward to Sundays and love watching them play.

northernbillfan
12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
But its different right? the 7-9 teams were tangently in the playoff hunt and we were trying to will them in. Here we know nothing is at stake. We simply want to be entertained and we want to see improvement.

We are getting that. Plus at the begining of the season, it seemed like any draft pick other than RB was a good idea. Now it seems like the offense just needs depth, which means they don't really need any early round consideration unless there is simply a can't miss player up there.

The defense has even rebounded a little. the front 4 still give QB's way too much time to throw, but they are having moments of locking down in the second half. LB's still suck, and somehow the DB position is falling apart. They need some depth as well.

And because the draft has actually become a bit more focused for most people, it means players have stepped up. and gailey's second half coaching is a breath of fresh air.That is exactly why I agreed with you. This is a much different and improved team, even though the record doesn't show it, this has been an impressive season. Much better than we were hoping for.

Shore up the holes on the O-line and strengthen the run D and the Bills will be, not only contenders, but fearsome opponents.

trapezeus
12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
i also think that Gailey has to start running it earlier in game and in the redzone.

I think it's a matter of asking his current oline to just be dominant. they are slowly getting it. show them faith, let squirmy fred jackson find his holes and run in the red zone and run early in games. If the bills can be more balanced and still be effective, i really think the offensive side of the ball is pretty much set for another year. it's not an allstar team, but its effective.

RockStar36
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
i also think that Gailey has to start running it earlier in game and in the redzone.

I think it's a matter of asking his current oline to just be dominant. they are slowly getting it. show them faith, let squirmy fred jackson find his holes and run in the red zone and run early in games. If the bills can be more balanced and still be effective, i really think the offensive side of the ball is pretty much set for another year. it's not an allstar team, but its effective.

I have a hard time recalling previous weeks, but I had no problem with him going pass-happy right away against the Steelers. Running the ball would've netted nothing against the Steelers' D, although I guess passing didn't exactly work out either.

trapezeus
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
previous weeks they've been slow to get fred jackson involved. i don't think it has to be one or the other, but a balance would be good.

they got into the redzone a couple times and walked away with an INT and two field goals with very little run attempts. It was a shame they don't have that identity to just run and finish it off.

northernbillfan
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
previous weeks they've been slow to get fred jackson involved. i don't think it has to be one or the other, but a balance would be good.

they got into the redzone a couple times and walked away with an INT and two field goals with very little run attempts. It was a shame they don't have that identity to just run and finish it off.The Bills will be feared soon enough.

Let's kick some ViQueen ass this weekend and send Favre into next month. Just like they did with Montana years ago.

trapezeus
12-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Did anyone like the boyz n da hood reference? or was it too much to compare ghetto life with bills life?

northernbillfan
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Did anyone like the boyz n da hood reference? or was it too much to compare ghetto life with bills life?Most football players are thugs anyway, so it was apropos.

DynaPaul
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
It doesn't hurt anymore because I've seen it too many times. This franchise excels at the heart wrenching loss. I was just happy that they put up a fight after being down 13 - 0.

northernbillfan
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
It doesn't hurt anymore because I've seen it too many times. This franchise excels at the heart wrenching loss. I was just happy that they put up a fight after being down 13 - 0.That's pretty much the sentiment in this thread, and many others. They are playing with heart and at a, not seen for some time, different level of competitiveness.